What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the coffee shop this morning, the went over to pastor Rick's house and helped him cut some tree limbs that were hanging over his street. Mostly I just held the ladder while he cut them, then we trimmed to length and loaded them up.

Now, getting lunch for my kid and we're going fishing later on, then a movie tonight. Maybe something scary if I can find one appropriate for a 14 year old...
So I found a scary movie I thought the kid could handle, and it's a classic - Jaws! It was in the bargain bin at Walmart. Seems like a shame that Jaws is relegated to the bargain bin but the garbage Hollywood puts out now is $25... Anyway, she liked it, but I guess it was too old school to impress her too much. Instead of being scared, she said, It's not realistic! Sharks can't move backwards!

Kids these days...

Work, work, work. That's all I do lately. It's starting to get to me a little bit, but it's all worth it. Better be.
I have 3 private classes at the center, another outside of it. Then it's work on new renders to see if I can render for event planning/event decor.

Scrap the current drawing. Although something tells me to try and just go with it, but it'll look horrible, I can already tell.

Work, work, work. That's all I do lately. It's starting to get to me a little bit, but it's all worth it. Better be.
I have 3 private classes at the center, another outside of it. Then it's work on new renders to see if I can render for event planning/event decor.

Scrap the current drawing. Although something tells me to try and just go with it, but it'll look horrible, I can already tell.
Sometimes you have to go with that guy feeling and try🙂

It is raining today so I plan to work mostly indoors, I am cleaning out my indoor garden space, adding wheels to my growing stations, and hopefully starting some new seeds for the fall garden.

I have already gone grocery shopping, found my sodas on a buy 2 get 3 free sale, I might revisit that one... ;)
Our weekly grocery list was down to just fruit, the garden is already starting to make an impact..

Stay safe and well

We are finally getting some much needed rain here in southern VA after over 2 months without! No idea what I'm gonna do might have a rest day or might go play in the mud. Several garden items could stand reseeding it's been so dry germination has been at an all time low. Maybe 30% So I might go poke seeds in the mud by hand before days end...

Grandson survived the "walk the field" job with the seed company yesterday, and he just left to work half day today. Said the comaraderie was good. It would need to be...10 hrs of row walking in heat. He says you step a few and squat down to look for plants that don't belong in a wheat field, in that case yesterday, was mostly rye that had been planted before. Then pull it out and repeat the process. 100 acres goes fast, but in the wind with wheat moving, some vertigo happens.
We were out and about all last afternoon, visiting with my cousin and then the local amish ladies set up for a small outdoor market, first of the season. Just baked goods and home canned right now. There's a wedding going on in Oklahoma next week that tons from here are attending, so no market next week. Two nearby neighbor farms are family and are going, so we'll be doing animals for one of those farms at least. (cows, horses, dogs, chickens). Stocked up on odd items at the discount grocery here yesterday. I think we're pruning some trees today and doing more garden work. Depends on the weather this afternoon, the house needs cleaning, too.

Don’t take me seriously for the next 24 hours I’m decompressing. We have worked extremely hard for the last month and I have some fine Missouri peach shine to celebrate with. I did buy the boy a little tractor today I’m not quite sure if he understands that the mowing chores belong to him now but I’m sure he will figure that out soon enough.
26C4BC50-93A3-4E7D-B7B6-D24A242B47CA.jpeg
3CBC9C14-1878-40FB-A87D-043725CD0007.jpeg

Got up at 5 AM and went to the local cemetery to help put flags on Veterans graves. There were 1600 flags. 4 hours later and we had the job completed. I feel like I walked 100 miles. My knees, back, legs, and everything else hurt.
I was honored to put a flag on the graves of several relatives. I discovered my Great Uncle was a Korean war vet. I had no idea.
I came home had a sausage biscuit and took a 2-hour nap.

Took the folks to dinner tonight, their 67th wedding anniversary. None of the grandkids or greats could make it. It's times like this I really miss my sister. She kept family events organized, birthdays, holidays etc. I'm doing good to remember what day it is... don't ask me if it's someone's birthday.

Annivers 67 (1)a.JPG

Last edited:
My wife's serger quit doing what ever those things do. I rethreaded it three times and it would work for about 3 inches and break a thread and would be back to square 1. My eyes are not good enough to be trying to figure this thing out..
It's always good to have a repairman in the area, some of those machines can be rather complicated, my wife' Singer sewing machine got out of time, thankfully there is a good repair shop in Grants Pass that installed new gears and belts, when I looked at the underside of the machine, I figured that there is no way that I could get the timing straightened out, even though I've worked on automatic transmissions and got them to work.

Farmers market, it rained but not the whole time. We did ok.
We had several people ask for chicken, but the cornish cross chicks are still growing. They will be going into the chicken tractor in a few days. It got cold again, so we are going to wait until it warms up again. Right now they are in a building in some large wooden boxes with a heat lamp we turn on when it gets cold.

Our trip to the lake was fun, weather was still nice and son and myself went swimming. It's so weird, the only people we ever see swim there besides us in teenagers. The little kids stay close to the shore, and you almost never see any adults swimming at all. ( this was the same in Florida in the ocean also). Are Americans generally afraid of water? Can't swim? Too scared to swim some place you can't stand up? I love swimming, so do the kids ( my daughter was a lifeguard for many years) . Husband not so much, he is not very good at it and doesn;t want to swim where he can't stand up.

The other thing I thought about is why don't American kids have school uniforms? I watch mostly foreign tv shows on Netflix ( when I have time to watch stuff) and I noticed , almost all kids from all countries in all shows wear school uniforms. But American kids only do so in private schools ( ours did when they went to a Christian school in Florida)
I looked it up , only a few countries don;t have school uniforms. Germany doesn't but that''s because WWII , they don't want to wear any uniforms of any kind I am pretty sure. But why the U.S.?

Ok, my 2 cents for the day...lol

Farmers market, it rained but not the whole time. We did ok.
We had several people ask for chicken, but the cornish cross chicks are still growing. They will be going into the chicken tractor in a few days. It got cold again, so we are going to wait until it warms up again. Right now they are in a building in some large wooden boxes with a heat lamp we turn on when it gets cold.

Our trip to the lake was fun, weather was still nice and son and myself went swimming. It's so weird, the only people we ever see swim there besides us in teenagers. The little kids stay close to the shore, and you almost never see any adults swimming at all. ( this was the same in Florida in the ocean also). Are Americans generally afraid of water? Can't swim? Too scared to swim some place you can't stand up? I love swimming, so do the kids ( my daughter was a lifeguard for many years) . Husband not so much, he is not very good at it and doesn;t want to swim where he can't stand up.

The other thing I thought about is why don't American kids have school uniforms? I watch mostly foreign tv shows on Netflix ( when I have time to watch stuff) and I noticed , almost all kids from all countries in all shows wear school uniforms. But American kids only do so in private schools ( ours did when they went to a Christian school in Florida)
I looked it up , only a few countries don;t have school uniforms. Germany doesn't but that''s because WWII , they don't want to wear any uniforms of any kind I am pretty sure. But why the U.S.?

Ok, my 2 cents for the day...lol
People (adults) are often times afraid of what they can't see in the water even when they won't admit it. Far as uniforms I would guess it's because of individuality.

Took the folks to dinner tonight, their 67th wedding anniversary. None of the grandkids or greats could make it. It's times like this I really miss my sister. She kept family events organized, birthdays, holidays etc. I'm doing good to remember what day it is... don't ask me if it's someone's birthday.

View attachment 67355
Like times 10😁

I didn't mind dress code rules for our kids and grandkids, but I really did not like uniforms. They end up costing more money. Polo shirts don't wash and wear well. When our kids were in Jr High the uniform was khaki pants, no pockets and a polo shirt with no emblem and three buttons. Believe it or not, those were hard to find. Ended up buying a school wardrobe and a home wardrobe.
I never had our employees at our private school wear a uniform. Some preschools had their employees wear scrubs, which I though was crazy. Our dress code was business casual, nothing revealing, no jeans or tshirts, closed toe shoes and no shorts or capris. Either slacks with a blouse, a skirt, or a dress. We were complimented many times by our customers.

I've been seeing webs on the patio chairs in the backyard so today, I took off the cushions, flipped the chairs over, and sprayed them with Home Defense. I found 4 black widows, just waiting to bite us while eating dinner. I'll feel much better sitting out there now.

I've been seeing webs on the patio chairs in the backyard so today

I found 4 black widows, just waiting to bite us while eating dinner. I

It must be a seasonal desert thing... Here in the southeast they don't seem to like the humidity of spring and early summer. I never see them then. If we have a dry late summer, august and september, I'll start seeing them the last half of september. The dryer it is the worse they are. For every B. widow, I see a 100 Brown Recluse spiders, nasty, sneaky little things....

Glad you got'em before they got you!

Last edited:
Destructo Dog has just gone through her first heat cycle and as any good owner will do....I wonder if she is breed worthy.
The question to breed or desex is an important one.
Old Family red nose pitbull terriers / Pitbulls are a banned breed in my country and they can not be registered with the recognized national kennel clubs..
They do need to be registered with local shire councils and the microchipped tracing organizations and so they fly under the radar as "unregistered" American Staffordshire Bull Terriers.
The breed is rare here.
Very few breeders still adhere to breeding pure stock and keep track of pure lines.
Those breeders are off the radar so finding them is hard.
Megs breeding is exceptional.
Her dam lines come from Red BOY lines.
Megs bloodlines are precious.
Megs herself is a damned handful.
I'm also having trouble figuring out what she's allergic to that causes a rash on her belly.
Most Bully breeds tend to have skin issues so I'm not sure if this is a hard NO in the breeding discussion.
She's turning out to be a VERY nice type with a lot of bone, muscle and guard instinct......stubbornness non withstanding.
These are questions I need to ask.
Her Grandsire is available and he is a red dog who throws both red and chocolate pups.
I don't know.

Going into TS for more turkey starter, our local feed place doesn't carry that. Still on the hunt for turkey base feed, or I'll have to mix my own. Looks like rain this afternoon, and it's a little late, but I'm going to task the twins with digging up an area to plant sweet corn today. Little granddaughter's mom will be by to visit this afternoon, so I hope it's drama free. I will be working in the greenhouse later, and still have a big blueberry bush to plant. Dinner at my favorite cousin's house tonight. I heard it was homemade pizzas.

We got at least another inch of rain last night probably closer to an inch and a half! We sure did need it. I still find it amazing how things happen. We have been struggling with no rain for the last couple months. Running our irrigation pump 6-10 hours a day for the last couple weeks. The day after it died we got 1/2 inch of rain and now today 2 days later we get another 1-1.5 inches. Thank you lord!

A different type of pump to irrigate four times the area at once is in the plans just going to take a little time to come up with the dough since I already ordered another pump like the old one. New one is going to cost about twice the price plus require some other changes including a much larger engine to run it. Plus I'll have to rig up another 3-4 crop sprinklers.

Last edited:
I cut up 2 racks of spare ribs to simmer in BBQ sauce for a few hours, and we have corn on the cob to go with it.
I am relaxing a bit before I start putting up more drywall. GF comes home tonight after 6 days of work (flight attendant), I am sure I will hear the story of how she got sunburned during her 24 hour layover in Maui, and her 2 pound prime rib dinner she enjoyed on the beach for $27 (flight crew discount).
It is a good 10 miles or more away but there is a wildfire that started yesterday on the south side of the mountain that is off to my southeast. The wind usually blows out of the southwest during summer months, and it is a light wind, so the fire should not be a threat to my area, and I don't expect that to change. The report is the area is mostly grass and brush burning and it will be quite some distance before it reaches the tree line so the ground crews and aerial assault should be able to get a fire break ahead of the fire, hopefully. Again, it should not be a threat to our community.
I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Memorial weekend.

I put a rack of ribs on the smoker at 8:30 this morning. I just put a whole chicken on the smoker. In 2 hours I will wrap the ribs and increase the heat until the chicken is done.
Supper will be BBQ ribs, chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob, fried asparagus, sweet tea, and cold watermelon. Summer is officially here!

Latest posts

Back