What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All heck had broken loose when I woke up this morning. I didn't hear my phone rigging while in the shower. I step out an dad is banging on my door.

Seems both my adult children had been naughty today. Mom had gone out with a pair of scissors to trim grass by the peach house. She shouldn't even get off the porch. Anyway, she fell down and couldn't get up, not hurt, just couldn't get up by herself. Dad came to the house and found her, couldn't get her up by himself, needed me to help.

The reason he came home was he tore up the bushhog, I took the man to the ER Saturday afternoon, he shouldn't be out of the house either. Yet this morning he decides to help my by running the bushhog near the old barn. He ran over a big piece to tin which is now wrapped around the blades on the hog. I couldn't pull it out, it's wedged in pretty good. Anyway, when the bushhog jammed it broke the sheer pins in the pto shaft.

So now I have to go buy new sheer pins at the farm store. I have to lift the bushhog in the air with the frontend loader and cut out all the tin.

Welcome to my world...

The worst time I had like that, was when my nephew drove over a spinning Jenny loaded with high tensile wire with the riding mower. Between the bars of the Jenny jamming any blade movement and the wire wrapped and tangled tight as a drum, it took days to get the mess out. Then I had to replace two spindles and the drive shift.

We are monitoring a tornado warning here. This is the damnedest storm I've ever seen. It is staying just north of us, but it's moving very slow and it has more lightning than any storm I've ever seen. We have had continuous thunder for 35 minutes now - there hasn't been even one second of silence. Most of the lightning seems to be aerial instead of cloud to ground. The weatherman says he expects 4-5 inches of rain to fall in a two hour time frame but we haven't seen one drop yet...if it turns due south we will head for cover.
For all the sound and fury, that storm turned out to be a big nothing burger for us. We hardly got any rain. There was a brief, weak tornado 20 miles north, and another about 100 miles northeast from a different cell of the storm. But we got nothing...

The worst time I had like that, was when my nephew drove over a spinning Jenny loaded with high tensile wire with the riding mower. Between the bars of the Jenny jamming any blade movement and the wire wrapped and tangled tight as a drum, it took days to get the mess out. Then I had to replace two spindles and the drive shift.
I did that with a mower once too. Caught an electric fence wire that was down - the kind that's made from plastic rope with aluminum strands in it to carry the charge. That was a mess to cut out...

I was recently told that tomatoes "stop" at 95* which really makes sense with what we are seeing in ours this year. We now have a bunch of toms. setting but most are still green. We have 2 more days of "nice" weather before it goes back to triple digits for another week. I'm just trying to roll with it this year. Hubby is going crazy because he wants salsa: Anaheima are on, jalapenos are just starting and tomatoes are behind. Our cilantro is bolting, but hey the onions look great :)

I plan to start my tomatoes at Christmas. I figure I will get some nice tomatoes before the weather gets too hot if I start them early! Plus we really don't get a frost per say.

Today was the girls' first day of school. Roo is whining about how much work she has to do. I just sipped my coffee and told her it gets harder once she is in middle school (next year). She may not like it but if she'd stop daydreaming she'd be done before lunch instead of after. She just has her reading left but this is her first day and she is dilly dallying.

I have some sewing to get done this month. I plan to get it done after Juju's lessons tomorrow. Roo will still be doing hers but I can sit at my machine and crank it out while she works.

Today was a work day, then a storm came by about 17:30, I know this because I heard the lightning and all the power went off except my computers and the internet ;). Went out and checked raining buckets, and the gutters clogged with tree seeds.... So I'm on a ladder in the middle of a thunder storm walking around the roof cleaning gutters.... Good news is I don't have to water or take a shower tonight.... I was pleased to see my rain barrels were able to catch a lot of it, so I am good for a couple of weeks... :)

Hope the power comes back on soon, I don't want a cold supper....

Today was a work day, then a storm came by about 17:30, I know this because I heard the lightning and all the power went off except my computers and the internet ;). Went out and checked raining buckets, and the gutters clogged with tree seeds.... So I'm on a ladder in the middle of a thunder storm walking around the roof cleaning gutters.... Good news is I don't have to water or take a shower tonight.... I was pleased to see my rain barrels were able to catch a lot of it, so I am good for a couple of weeks... :)

Other than traipsing around on a ladder and roof in a thunder storm, the rest is great. You and your garden got watered and barrels filled (or partially so.)
1628551095429.png

Gutter guard?

Ben

We had to put new gutters on this old house, so we did the gutter guards.
Canning salsa and cherry tomatoes this morning, did 5 loads of laundry. Went into town and did a big Aldi shop. Still haven't dated and put all of it away. Just went out and picked a couple of buckets of squash and tomatoes. Sent granddaughter out early to do that, but she only brought in one bucket. I knew that there would be more than that out there. A cousin came out to mow and clear a large pasture area with the really big tractor set up.

Spent day in ER. Husbands is having trouble breathing. No pneumonia, COVID negative, flu negative. They wanted to observe him for overnight as his kidney is off. He refused so they pushed bag of saline and 4 steroid pills. Set up appointment with primary tomorrow. 2 trips to Bryan! I did go to Best Buy and get new iPad. Mine crashed a few weeks ago. Probably will lose all books downloaded to device. Wish I had uploaded to cloud!

Started the day preparing to adjust water lines in the master bathroom sink to prepare for drywall. Turned off the water line, that also feeds another sink and drained the lines, then noticed I was missing one piece for connecting the PEX pipe so headed north to the local True Value, dropped off a job application while I was there. Came home and connected the pipes as I needed. Went to turn on the water line and turned the wrong valve so the open 3/4" water line began filling the master bath before I noticed and turned it back off. Cleaned up the water, moved out some cabinets that had been stored in there, thankfully no water damage to the new cabinets, the cardboard bottom was wet but it didn't soak through to get to the particle board.
Finished the last pieces of drywall in the upstairs and in the main bathroom. Only need to drywall the pantry and the master bathroom now.
Tomorrow, I get to hang two doors and then hang some drywall.

I did not get my hay yesterday as I counted on. Today for sure or my bunny boy will pack up and leave. So I will be setting up my new hay storage plan in place when I get it. Immediately I have to clean his cage because overnight it was skimpy on what hay I had left. Then my bf and his new dog are supposed to be going to a state park near here for a picnic and outdoor (in the woods!) time. Right now though looks like it may be a rainy day so I will see.

I'm completely wiped out this morning. I ran the bush hog last night until about 10:30pm. But, I didn't wake up today with dad on the tractor when he shouldn't be.

See, I ran the tractor almost out of fuel last night on purpose. Dad isn't able to refuel the tractor. This way... I knew he wouldn't be on it when I woke up this morning.

Where there is a will there is a way!

However, with the way I feel today I'm not going to accomplish much.

Not doing much at all per doctor's orders and the missus. Had an ablation last Friday the 6th, home on the 7th and been lounging around since. Wife hired young guy to mow yard etc. @#$%!!!! He cut too short, bald areas, i'm not happy. Wife talked to his dad who had come to straighten it all up, sorta. Gotta put up with it until doctor says I can do things again. Might just get on mower next week when she goes back to work and do it the right way no matter what they say.

Wife hired young guy to mow yard etc. @#$%!!!! He cut too short, bald areas, i'm not happy. Wife talked to his dad who had come to straighten it all up, sorta.
How do you un-cut a lawn? I've had that problem at the barber and I don't care how hard they try they just couldn't un-do it!!!

How do you un-cut a lawn? I've had that problem at the barber and I don't care how hard they try they just couldn't un-do it!!!
Oh he didn't, he just went back over it and tried to even it out. The kid had missed spots when he turned his new fast bad boy zero turn. The father apologized of course but the damage had been done. Just ranting sorry about that.

Reminds me… We’ve always had a huge lawn, plus out buildings, a barn, a shop etc. As a kid I hated cutting all of it with a push mower, it’d take half a day.

When I was 9 or 10 I became aware we usually had dry weather for most of June, then from late July through September.

When we were expecting dry weather I’d lower the mower 3/4 of an inch then cut. If the weather stayed dry the grass wouldn’t need cutting for 2-3 weeks. Over the course of the summer It meant less work for me!. I did this for years! Lol Mom complained but dad didn’t care so on it went.

Using my ankle stirrup I was able to hobble around enough to unpack and inspect more of the cabinets. I found one shelf with a small blemish but it can be hidden if I install the shelf with blemish on the bottom.

Seeing I was incapacitated yesterday I did some research into how people made or preserved wealth leading up to nazi Germany and what could be in store in the near future. I found a recent interview with Neil Howe who co-authored The Fourth Turning. At about 42 minutes he spoke about what to expect with investments

If tou haven't read The Fourth Turning you may want to watch the video from the start.

Now that the last of the Baby Boomers are retiring the Millennials are going to be looking for more structure with characters like Elon Musk involved.

Sorry Ben but the kids are taking over and you may as well adapt and start thinking like them if you want to stay ahead of the game.

Ben

Reminds me… We’ve always had a huge lawn, plus out buildings, a barn, a shop etc. As a kid I hated cutting all of it with a push mower, it’d take half a day.

When I was 9 or 10 I became aware we usually had dry weather for most of June, then from late July through September.

When we were expecting dry weather I’d lower the mower 3/4 of an inch then cut. If the weather stayed dry the grass wouldn’t need cutting for 2-3 weeks. Over the course of the summer It meant less work for me!. I did this for years! Lol Mom complained but dad didn’t care so on it went.
I still hate mowing the grass. The first year I lived here I didn't cut the grass all year. As a result I discovered that if you let grass grow, it will kill all of the dandelions.

Ben

Latest posts

Back