What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tip… this same concept holds true for a hay field. If I cut the hay extremely close the ground it takes longer for the grass to recover and then start growing again. If I left an extra 1/2 inch of grass in the field it will be ready to cut again a couple of weeks sooner. On a 10 acre field I might lose 1 roll of hay per cutting... But I have a very good chance of getting an extra cutting in the fall. Basically I’m trading a couple rolls of hay in the summer to get another 40 rolls in late fall. All of this depends on rain but most years I’d get that extra cut in late October. If I didn’t need the hay I’d have excellent fall grazing for the cattle.

I'm completely wiped out this morning. I ran the bush hog last night until about 10:30pm. But, I didn't wake up today with dad on the tractor when he shouldn't be.

See, I ran the tractor almost out of fuel last night on purpose. Dad isn't able to refuel the tractor. This way... I knew he wouldn't be on it when I woke up this morning.

Where there is a will there is a way!

However, with the way I feel today I'm not going to accomplish much.
Good idea! Did he know that was why you did that?

Had a couple of sips of coffee. I was running late for an appointment because I was being lazy. My office space has been rented by my brother's friend who's going to make a little store out of it - thank God for that - and I had to move things my father was storing in there.
Then I have to get a new chaplet prayer ring because the one I had broke yesterday and I lost the other one. So gotta stop at a church.

Then I have 2 afternoon classes. Getting home, I plan on working on the showroom while watching some Castle. There's a lot of detail, so I need to get on that as early as possible.

Today is turning into a cluster.... Found out yesterday they are replacing the gas mains and will be turning off the gas either today or tomorrow BUT they will have to come into my house to turn off the water heater and gas appliances... I have stuff stacked head high and they need a clean path to different points in my basement (which has been an unregulated man cave for a decade)... I have deliverable's that have to be posted by mid-night and just before bed the wife tells me that she has an appointment from 16:30 till 18:00 that I will need to take her to... and I need to harvest the garden because I see lots of red things out there...

Yep, I am not in my happy place......

I am going to can some tomato sauce today. Canned apple sauce and some beets yesterday. I really don't enjoy food processing , but we have stuff that is going to go bad if I don't. I don't even like beets much but we didn't sell them all at the market so something has to be done. Do you enjoy canning food? I know it's a skill one should have ( check) but why bother spending all day cutting up apples, washing jars, making sauce and canning them, when you can just go to the walmart and buy a jar that tastes ok for a few dollars? I understand the concept of preserving food if there is no food available to buy anymore but that isn't the case right now. I even tried to give some stuff away but everyone I asked said " oh thanks but no thanks we are drowning in apples and squash right now ourselves"

It finally rained yesterday, poured actually, we probably got a quarter inch in an hour.

I am going to can some tomato sauce today. Canned apple sauce and some beets yesterday. I really don't enjoy food processing , but we have stuff that is going to go bad if I don't. I don't even like beets much but we didn't sell them all at the market so something has to be done. Do you enjoy canning food? I know it's a skill one should have ( check) but why bother spending all day cutting up apples, washing jars, making sauce and canning them, when you can just go to the walmart and buy a jar that tastes ok for a few dollars? I understand the concept of preserving food if there is no food available to buy anymore but that isn't the case right now. I even tried to give some stuff away but everyone I asked said " oh thanks but no thanks we are drowning in apples and squash right now ourselves"

It finally rained yesterday, poured actually, we probably got a quarter inch in an hour.
I think the value is in the learning.... We had to do a lot experimentation to learn what we liked... We have developed our recipes for putting up and cooking each food, beets, bread, beans,... If thing got tight or real expensive we could stretch things a lot because of what we know... People who only know a box/can or Mickey D's will be in deep dooo

But I have to agree it can be a lot of work.

I think the value is in the learning.... We had to do a lot experimentation to learn what we liked... We have developed our recipes for putting up and cooking each food, beets, bread, beans,... If thing got tight or real expensive we could stretch things a lot because of what we know... People who only know a box/can or Mickey D's will be in deep dooo

But I have to agree it can be a lot of work.

I agree that one should know how to do it just to have that skill. The problem is this, if and when there was no longer any food available in stores, or we no longer had funds to pay for it, most likely the propane I use for fuel to can would be gone or too expensive also, so unless you can something you can't get in a store, or that tastes much better than store food, it's pretty much pointless. Canned food is still very cheap in the U.S. I probably spend more money on propane and jars and lids than I would spend on buying cans. Plus commercially canned food most likely stays good much longer.

I would have to agree to a point, but I also believe that there will come a day when stuff just does not show up at the grocery store... Most food production is very labor intensive and that is very easily disrupted. I do not expect to receive any warning from the government (or the press) because they don't want a panic and will try to control the message as long as they can, by then it will be too late to get ready.....

Things like natural gas, electricity, and gasoline are not nearly as labor intensive and I assume that they may be available to some extent. A lot of the folks have natural gas, wood stoves, propane, or even gasoline stoves that could be used in a pinch to process food for themselves.

But if you don't have the skills or tools, you can be sitting on top of a resource and not realize it... Like having canned goods and no can opener....

We all have to do what we feel is best for us. If you garden and can your own food; good for you. If you are willing to rely on the grocery store; that's great too...

But when we make a choice, we also become responsible for the results of that choice, be it having to do more work than anyone around you or feeling dependent on the grocery store supply chain. It will always be your choice and that is how it should be....

Just like the Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade said, "Choose wisely....."

You are correct to a certain extent. If the stores don't have affordable food or none, you are going to have serious problems because if you can't produce and make it yourself or have access to someone who can, you will be begging. In this case, you won't be getting any home canned goods either. Anyone who is refusing the jab better have this in mind and a back up plan for resupply because it won't matter what's in those stores or not, and I can guarantee that most people have no idea what even a years supply of food looks like. There is a reason that Amish Heart spends so much time slicing and dicing.

I don't enjoy the work, and although it isn't difficult, it is long hours of food prep for days on end. If one has to start buying ALL of the jars and canner in one fell swoop right now, it would be costly and intimidating; especially if one wasn't raised in the life style. A tank of propane will can a lot of food, but I keep a lot of propane on hand as well. I can do that because I live where I am able to do that. Most people cannot.

The point that is possibly being missed, is that in the olden days, canned foods did not cover the majority of the food stored and it still cannot. Modern dehydrators are a God send, but all of the prep work must still be done.

The bulk of food storage was root cellar crops, fermenting and salting. Food was more basic, but all of it took a lot of work and storage space.

Home canned food does taste much better than store bought. We have versatility and variety in our recipes, particularly those of us who are lucky enough to have several lifetimes of experience with canning and don't have to restrict ourselves to those insipid generic recipes in the canning bibles.

Simple example: peaches. I buy them by the case, not in a store but direct from the orchard. They put aside the ripest ones off the tree for me. I have to can like the dickens before they turn to mush. Why, because tree ripened fruit has the best flavor. Store peaches are canned green for durability and are rubbery and tasteless compared to my home canned ripe peaches.

There are so many luxury canned goods like apple sauce, cranberries, jams, chicken, beef and beans that you won't find in a store, and they all last every bit as long, if not longer than store bought, because they are in glass instead of tin.

Another thought...home canned may be safer to store because it's unlikely any one will want it as they have been trained to think it is dangerous.

99% of my food stores are not convenience foods but some assembly required.

Last edited:

I guess I don't dislike canning as long as I have the time. I do so primarily to avoid the chemicals put in store bought foods. Also, I have found that dehydrated apples sprinkled with cinnamon have many more takers than applesauce. ;) I don't eat either, but make both just for other people.
I'm soooo busy.
Heading over to the farmhouse soon as I finish my coffee.
Work there till noonish.

Come back, make a run to the dump.
Then back to p a c k i n g.

Thank God everyday that I'm able.

And, the heat is horrendous.
Humidity is too.

Jim
View it as preparing for Christmas - in your new digs :snowwindow:

I can't remember what thread it was in that it was mentioned that we are trackable by the chips on our cards and scan code on our license. I don't want to be tracked. I just received my blocker wallet this morning. Coincidently, Hubby mentioned getting a new wallet last night. His is thrashed. So when I arrived to work this morning, I showed him mine and asked how many cards he had and if that would work (I got a men's flat one). He had 2 expired debit cards, an old and a new welder cert card, 2 old insurance cards no longer applicable, a college ID from about 15 years ago, his current drivers license as well as his one from our former state, an expired fishing license, a dept. store points card, maybe a couple others :rolleyes: I was laughing! The small one like I got will now work for him 😅

Do you enjoy canning food? I know it's a skill one should have ( check) but why bother spending all day cutting up apples, washing jars, making sauce and canning them
I do enjoy it. I think of it as a hobby but know it is really a way of life. It keeps me active (especially when I have a garden). I definitely use my 14 cup food processor while there is electric and I have a backup for the processor that is exactly the same so I can interchange parts.
But I have to agree it can be a lot of work
For me it is more time than work because of the food processor. Most of what I do is pressure canning which takes quite a bit of time.
Another thought...home canned may be safer to store because it's unlikely any one will want it as they have been trained to think it is dangerous.
I am hopeful that you are right! We will see.

Walked first this morning and then looked for recipes to use up the 5 gallons of figs in my freezer.
Had to buy gas and it is up to 2.89 a gal here.
Went to Walmart for a few fresh items and then thrift shops.
Don't have much scheduled for this afternoon.
Church at 6:30

Yesterday, finished the drywall in the master bed. Cleaned up and the GF asked where I was going to put the power supply for the future electric heated floor system.
:cry:
I was hoping she would forget. It was my plan from the beginning but the wood stove does so well at keeping the house warm a couple months ago I decided against electric floor heat. I was only planning to do the master bathroom, a walkway through the master bedroom and out into the living room in front of where the couch will be and then into the kitchen in front of the sink and stove just to keep the feet warm in the winter. But, being tired of the building process and just wanting things done I considered skipping the floor heat. But, the comment of put in the outlet just incase I change my mind meant I had to pull down 2 pieces of drywall in the master closet and run the wire into the attic. I already have a 20 amp circuit dead ending into a box in the attic so it isn't a major problem but trying to nail in a box in an 8" space between studs is not fun. No room to swing the hammer so using it sideways and only getting about a 1" swing makes it a slow process. Computer time now is to give my forearm a rest between efforts.
After that, drywall in the pantry and a few sheets to finish the laundry room and drywall will be done.

@dademoss I'm sure glad you have cute sweet little kittens. The Lioness is cute but man-o-man she's psyco! Hubby dubbed her the little fur demon 😈 She will fly through the air and attach herself to the side of my leg. Last night she jumped up on a shelf where I have cookbooks and had an antique piebird. Had is the operable word there. She broke the piebird. She is mostly in the summer kitchen and outside, but I want her to know the house too. She is getting less and less destruction time in the house. Oh yea, she opens drawers and retrieves "toys" or anything that looks like it is attackable. If you open a cupboard or the fridge, she is in it. Get the milk, set milk on counter leaving fridge door open, hunt for small feline in fridge, hang on while getting bit and scratched, close fridge door, put cat outside, now return to milk. She will also fly through the air and try to attach to a wall like a gecko, but that doesn't work.😂😭😂

I tried to reply yesterday but internet got throttled and the page wouldn't load right.

Managed to cut my thumb on the door of the microwave somehow. I can't remember if I was reaching in or pulling my hand out and caught the side of my thumb on the corner. It actually drew blood. So, I'm that kind of clumsy. LOL.

Today my brother pestered me into going to the store early. I picked up my rx and he bought a bunch of stuff-- a lot of peppers that he knows I'm allergic to (but he is in denial about it). Grabbed mail from the post office and got home. I heated up a tv dinner for mom since he was in the way trying to cook something. He chopped up the peppers and when I got near the bowl the smell hit me. I covered my nose & he started yelling at me & accusing me of faking. Said I couldn't possibly smell them. Pulled a whole gaslighting thing and continued to be a jerk. I'm in my room now and he's cooking them. The smell has permeated in here and made my nose and eyes burn and is making me nauseous. Not sure what his major malfunction is, but he called me a f***ing liar when I told him I could smell them (when I was right near them in the kitchen). Said that bc he couldn't smell them I couldn't possibly. I told him to f*** off. Next time he asks for a favor I'll tell him to piss up a rope.

On the upside, I finally got my computer to stop doing the bs "windows is not genuine" crap. I had to do a repair/reinstall and it lost the registration code. I couldn't find the paper with it and it wouldn't ever register properly. I looked for a long time for just the code online to purchase but didn't want to spend several hundred $. Finally found it on ebay for under $50. It was guaranteed to work- money back guarantee via ebay. So I got the code today & used cmd prompt to enter it and now the computer is running faster and no longer nagging.

As a complete aside, I was bored and thinking about my mother's bedroom furniture set. I found a few of the pieces from the set on Etsy and Ebay to see what the prices are (and get nice pictures of them).

This is the headboard: DIXIE FURNITURE Walnut Country French Provincial Queen Size Headboard 11134 | eBay
This is the dresser (not including the mirror) DIXIE FURNITURE Country French Style 62" Triple Dresser 355-233 | eBay
These are the night stands VINTAGE DIXIE FURNITURE PROVINCIAL NIGHTSTANDS (QTY 2) - Oct 28, 2013 | Bold Bids Online Auction in TX
Closest I could find to the lingerie chest was this: Pick Your Color Free ShippingDixie Hollywood Glam Lingerie | Etsy
But it has the applique on the bottom like the dresser and night stands. The mirror has the applique near the top. One of these days I'll get good pictures of the whole set and make a collage.

It's a walnut french provincial set from Dixie that she got in the very early 70s. I think it was made in the 60s. I think Mom said they paid $1,100 for the entire set (queen headboard, two 2-drawer nightstands, 9 drawer dresser w/ mirror, a 6 drawer lingerie chest, & a 5 drawer bureau). I don't know if the boxspring, bed frame, and mattress were included.

I tried to reply yesterday but internet got throttled and the page wouldn't load right.

Managed to cut my thumb on the door of the microwave somehow. I can't remember if I was reaching in or pulling my hand out and caught the side of my thumb on the corner. It actually drew blood. So, I'm that kind of clumsy. LOL.

Today my brother pestered me into going to the store early. I picked up my rx and he bought a bunch of stuff-- a lot of peppers that he knows I'm allergic to (but he is in denial about it). Grabbed mail from the post office and got home. I heated up a tv dinner for mom since he was in the way trying to cook something. He chopped up the peppers and when I got near the bowl the smell hit me. I covered my nose & he started yelling at me & accusing me of faking. Said I couldn't possibly smell them. Pulled a whole gaslighting thing and continued to be a jerk. I'm in my room now and he's cooking them. The smell has permeated in here and made my nose and eyes burn and is making me nauseous. Not sure what his major malfunction is, but he called me a f***ing liar when I told him I could smell them (when I was right near them in the kitchen). Said that bc he couldn't smell them I couldn't possibly. I told him to f*** off. Next time he asks for a favor I'll tell him to piss up a rope.

On the upside, I finally got my computer to stop doing the bs "windows is not genuine" crap. I had to do a repair/reinstall and it lost the registration code. I couldn't find the paper with it and it wouldn't ever register properly. I looked for a long time for just the code online to purchase but didn't want to spend several hundred $. Finally found it on ebay for under $50. It was guaranteed to work- money back guarantee via ebay. So I got the code today & used cmd prompt to enter it and now the computer is running faster and no longer nagging.

As a complete aside, I was bored and thinking about my mother's bedroom furniture set. I found a few of the pieces from the set on Etsy and Ebay to see what the prices are (and get nice pictures of them).

This is the headboard: DIXIE FURNITURE Walnut Country French Provincial Queen Size Headboard 11134 | eBay
This is the dresser (not including the mirror) DIXIE FURNITURE Country French Style 62" Triple Dresser 355-233 | eBay
These are the night stands VINTAGE DIXIE FURNITURE PROVINCIAL NIGHTSTANDS (QTY 2) - Oct 28, 2013 | Bold Bids Online Auction in TX
Closest I could find to the lingerie chest was this: Pick Your Color Free ShippingDixie Hollywood Glam Lingerie | Etsy
But it has the applique on the bottom like the dresser and night stands. The mirror has the applique near the top. One of these days I'll get good pictures of the whole set and make a collage.

It's a walnut french provincial set from Dixie that she got in the very early 70s. I think it was made in the 60s. I think Mom said they paid $1,100 for the entire set (queen headboard, two 2-drawer nightstands, 9 drawer dresser w/ mirror, a 6 drawer lingerie chest, & a 5 drawer bureau). I don't know if the boxspring, bed frame, and mattress were included.
Looks like a nice furniture set.

Using my ankle stirrup I was able to hobble around enough to unpack and inspect more of the cabinets. I found one shelf with a small blemish but it can be hidden if I install the shelf with blemish on the bottom.

Seeing I was incapacitated yesterday I did some research into how people made or preserved wealth leading up to nazi Germany and what could be in store in the near future. I found a recent interview with Neil Howe who co-authored The Fourth Turning. At about 42 minutes he spoke about what to expect with investments

If tou haven't read The Fourth Turning you may want to watch the video from the start.

Now that the last of the Baby Boomers are retiring the Millennials are going to be looking for more structure with characters like Elon Musk involved.

Sorry Ben but the kids are taking over and you may as well adapt and start thinking like them if you want to stay ahead of the game.

Ben

Ben (or anyone else really) did you ever read the blog "The Deliberate Agrarian"? I just went back and reread the parts on hyperinflation. I like reading what I call "Old Words" meaning writings from long ago. There are often lessons whether intended or not.

Yesterday was a long day, took wife to an appointment but it was so hot that the walk to the car just set her way back, when we got to the appointment (after a ride in a car with AC) she didn't know where she was at. By the time her appointment was finished (2 hours later) she had recovered but she had no memory of the car ride or the first hour of the appointment. I worked till midnight, just got things done, but had a hard time waking up today. We have had storms move through the last 2 nights and my sunflowers decided to lay down and take a nap....

I think that I will try to clean up the mess out doors and then focus on some cleanup in my food storage area.

I am being faced with a security issue, my food/general storage area consists of 2 rows of 2' wide floor to ceiling shelves about 60' long (the foot print is about 15'X60') and they are completely open to the rest of the unfinished basement. In general I never let anyone in that area, but this week they have been working on the gas mains and as part of that a technician needs to be in the basement next to the storage area to light pilot lights... I am trying to figure out how to conceal my preps without a large investment in time and money, first though is to install shower curtains all the way around, any better ideas out there?

Got the water back on at the farmhouse.
Finished the plumbing in the new shower.
Unloaded 300sq ft of laminate floor into the farmhouse ( in 110 deg heat index) . That was tough.

Pulled all the quarter round molding in one upstairs bedroom , wife painted all the baseboard and trim, getting it ready for the new flooring.

Came home and crashed. Got an 11:00 to 1:00 funeral today . A friend's dad.

Then come home and do more packing.
Hoping for a cool down .

Jim

Thanks @Amish Heart , I am thinking of running a cable along the ceiling supported about every 8 feet, then hang shower curtains on it... It's hard to hide something the size of a semi-trailer, but I have learned that every time someone sees what you have the likelihood that things will start to disappear goes up...

I was already thinking about putting shower curtains around my growing stations to control things there (I made 1 last year using 1/2 copper pipe connected to the rack at the top of each corner, it worked pretty well.

I am finding that I am liking the new rolling shelves more than I though I would, they are wide enough to be stable, but I can easily move them out of the way to clean and get to stuff that is rarely used (like holiday stuff).....

Thanks @Amish Heart , I am thinking of running a cable along the ceiling supported about every 8 feet, then hang shower curtains on it... It's hard to hide something the size of a semi-trailer, but I have learned that every time someone sees what you have the likelihood that things will start to disappear goes up...

I was already thinking about putting shower curtains around my growing stations to control things there (I made 1 last year using 1/2 copper pipe connected to the rack at the top of each corner, it worked pretty well.

I am finding that I am liking the new rolling shelves more than I though I would, they are wide enough to be stable, but I can easily move them out of the way to clean and get to stuff that is rarely used (like holiday stuff).....
This will sound funny, but I was thinking of a situation that @sentry once had with repairmen & got the idea. You might borrow a food and water dish from a friend/neighbor to just set in the basement. Call the utility company (or whomever is coming to your house) & explain that you have made arrangements for the Rottweiler off the premises while the worker is there so it is imperative that he/she be on time and schedule. Also, impart that op-sec is of utmost importance and the worker is to be in only the areas preestablished. (Yes, I know it's a white lie, but . . . ) If you have any friends who wear uniforms, perhaps they could "swing by to say Hi" real quickly & by chance when repairman is there ;)

Mom called yesterday to say we have to reschedule our visit that was planned for this weekend. No biggie. She told me why and I promised the girls an extra movie night this weekend to make up for not seeing Grandma and Pop-Pop.

K took my car to the mechanic. He could not replace the thermostat without removing the timing belt. He scared himself so he thought it best to have a 'pro' do it. Bleh! He was so frustrated all weekend after that he was snapping at everyone in the house. We are still fighting over stupid sh*t because of his mood. None of this would have been an issue if he had researched how to do it before taking my car apart! That man relies on the first idiot youtube video he finds to fix things! I check 3-4 different sites and books before settling on one to use as a guide. Can you tell I am soooooo over his 'men don't ask directions' attitude on things!?

Making bread. I haven't made bread in 2 weeks but we only have a couple loaves in the freezer now. I am trying a new twist to my recipe. I added a couple table spoons of toasted wheat germ to add omph to it. I don't think the girls are getting enough fiber even though I try to give them a lot each day!

Rode the bike this morning and lifted weights.

Latest posts

Back