What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 15 miles of the narrowest , roughest , crookedest KY back roads , I've ever been on.

Haha, Fido... er, I mean Phideaux... I copy those narrow, rough & crooked KY back roads, I had to drive a big truck in there on occasion, and I usually wound up searching for the pick or drop in the middle of the night. My favorite part was when ya missed a turn, then ya had to drive another 20 miles just to find a place to turn around. Why not simply throw the rig in reverse, back and make the turn? Because, without fail, and even at 0300, there'd be ONE knucklehead behind ya, and that fool would NEVER come around and up the side, lol. Ya found out about the lengthy detour later, as you were even more stressed out & tired, 10-4? ;)

Ah, yes, the times I had in 'The Bluegrass' during my 'trucking daze!' Always with a 53' wagon too, couldn't catch a break with a 48', and some of those twisty roads ought to be posted 'NO TRUCKS!' Throw in a weight rating to keep things simple, but no, THAT would make too much sense, lol. Above & beyond all that grief, I actually had some good times in Kentucky, and met some really cool people there. So I don't regret a minute of it, and the scenery was nice... very pretty country on some of those back roads, especially in spring or fall. Winter wasn't so hot with those narrow, two-laned, high-crowned blacktop roads all iced up, lol... maybe you're talking dirt roads in your post. :confused:

Anyway, I took a break today to pick up more soil & steer manure for my next planting project, and I went to see that flick 'THE NORTHMAN' at our local theater complex (Aviator 10 in Alamogordo). Saw the flick first, actually, a matinee at 1500 hours, didn't want the Steer-O stinking up the trunk of my car by being in there too long... damned if I was gonna put it in the cabin, I've learned that much over the years, lol. But mission accomplished, I was a little disappointed in the flick, since I heard so many folks raving about it at another website, but I only paid $5 for the Tuesday matinee, and there WERE some cool scenes in the movie, but some of it would've been better off edited, lol. Meh, this is why I need to set up my home theater, I've been lagging in that regard. Back to my cold beer... Cheers!!! :cool:

I had to go to town before lunch, also stopped at my doc’s office, needed an appointment. They were slow, so I got to see my NP after a 15min wait. I happened to mention the 10 day headache I just got over. I’ve badly over done it the last month and said so(I have cfs). I sometimes get really bad exhaustion headaches that can last days, nothing new. She wrote me a prescription anyway. Also wants me to have a CT. Later there was a message on my home phone was to call the office, probably apt info. It could be tomorrow.

A quick trip to town turned into “this whole day is shot”. Had to wait 2 hrs just to pick up a prescription for a pain med I’ll probably not take, don't take them period. I think it’s an old muscle relaxer to relieve tension, haven’t taken it out of the bag yet.

My NP is a nice lady, very smart, honest, also my neighbor. I’ve known her husband since he was an annoying 6yr old (I was 10). Sort of funny, she left for a bit and then had message from my GP “tell him it’s time to jump on another CT”. She asked what “that” meant so I told her the story.

I was working on a ct at a major childrens hospital, it was 3am, been working since the previous afternoon. I knew I had repaired the problem but no system diagnostic could tell me. The only way to be absolutely sure was to scan a human being. People who want to volunteer for a test ct are in short supply at 3am. :rolleyes: So I set the ct up to do a non-contrast chest study, started the scan, ran in the room and jumped on the patient table. It was the only way to be sure.

Anyway, I’d told my GP about it years ago. He thought it was funny, that’s when he was sure I was nuts! 🤪

Jim, the laundry room looks great! I really need to work on mine. Been putting off the reno far too long but getting help around here is not easy and I'm not equipped to do it by myself.

Grimm, I hope K gets feeling better soon but so sorry he blew through your meds. Did he even consider what would happen if you needed them? I'm ticked off on your behalf. Sounds like he might need a nebulizer and some albuterol or something.

I went to the store to pick up RX and groceries. Mom was out of her ice cream and wanted more. I stood in line at the pharmacy while my brother did most of the shopping. Couldn't find one of the main things I came in for (said it was in stock but it wasn't where they said it was so I ordered it online when I got home).

Pharmacist told me I'm overdue for my tetanus shot (like more than 20 years) and that I'm eligible for pneumonia shot and flu shot. I had been sweating so I told him I'd come back after I had a shower. He said he appreciated that. So, I need to see when I can get to my friend's house next for a proper shower instead of a sink bath.

I'm having an argument with Fippy about shutting up and not growling at everything that moves. He's 12yrs old and will be 13 either later this year or next year. He's a grumpy old man dog.

Told y'all I'd put up pic of that room that robbed me of 10years of my life , just in stress. 10 years I don't have.
Notice the closet is full of ONLY SKIRTS. then notice how particular she is with 6 clothes hampers.... bath linen , bed linen, blues ,reds, colors , blacks.
Drives me crazy

Jim

Sorry for laughing but ....I own 3 skirts. One black for funerals , 2 from India one of which I only wore to the Rennesaince fair in Florida a few times

Your wife would absolutely hate hate hate the way I live here. Just doing the laundry would cause her to have fits
She is very lucky to have you do all this for her

Congrats on finishing

Worked, went to Walmart, came home and got 30 t-posts in the ground💪! I knew last night's rain is the only significant rain on the horizon, probably the easiest day for driving posts!! Now I'm pooped out!?

YOU got t posts into the ground? I am impressed. I can't do one lol and I am not a weak woman. Husband and son have to do them ( but we have rocky hard clay soil)

Going to the vet today with the other dogs to get rabies shots. Not fun the livestock dogs have to go on the back of the truck in crates or they will puke all over. They hate riding in the car

It's cold again, after having several days of 80 degree weather. Hope the sheeps and goats don't get sick , they don't like drastic weather changes

Gonna be dragged off to WM to pickup a few things.
Need some ant spray, they're invading my pantry.

Have lunch.

Then, if the dew has lifted , will be mowing.

37 deg on front porch when I got up . HEAVY dew.
Eli took care of business quickly.

Probly do a little more landscape work on front of house.

Slow day today.

Jim

It is so rare for you to post anymore, not like on PS. I used to read your blog, but don't know if you still keep that updated. You and Sue must be still doing well. I do remember that it takes 3 days of fires in the stove to heat up the cabin after it has been vacant for so long. And I don't know if you still take care of your grandson. He must be getting up there in age, maybe 10 years old now.

I don't have my computer set up when we are down south for the winter and my phone isn't set up for the site here. (Lazy on my part!). You're spot on about heating the cabin up!

We are doing fine. I don't keep up the blog anymore. Blogspot made some changes and I couldn't figure out how to get back on it. Never found a real person to talk to to get back on it. We don't do nearly what we used to do since starting the snowbird thing. We haven't even gotten in the woods a lot the last four years. First Susan's hips kept us from doing much walking then she got both of them replaced. Next my knees gave out and with the covid nonsense it's been difficult to get them taken care of. I do have my first knee replacement scheduled for May 6. I'm looking forward to getting them replaced so we can get on in our lives!

Scott (11) is almost as tall as me now and loves to rub it in! He got his first hunting license last year then was playing on a stack of logs and one rolled on him. Of course it was the biggest one on the stack! Broke his foot so that ended his hunting for that year! Just thankful it didn't do more damage. (We had been cutting firewood off the stack and it wasn't stable.)

We have been active in mountain man rendezvous the last few years. Scott has become a very good shot. All shooting is off hand and open sights at ranges from 10 yards to over 175 yards. His scores have been fantastic. He outshot me on the pistol trail shoot and pistol paper shoot. (I had a pistol I had just bought used and it's a pile of junk!) I think we tied on the rifle trail walk but I was ahead on the rifle paper target shoot. He was really worn out. It was so hot and it was the last match of the day. His total score was higher than over half of the adult shooters. He shoots a fifty caliber muzzle loader that I modified for him. (Cut the barrel down to 16.5 inches and cut down the stock to fit him.)

We are still in our mountain cabin in the summer. Getting tired of bears tearing everything up. We have way too many grizzlies in the area that have no fear of people and we have too many tourists and blue state refugees who think it's fun to feed the bears, leaving food unattended and out overnight. Of course any time someone mentions hunting them all the tree huggers and bunny kissers file lawsuits to stop the hunts. Going to plant more of the garden this year and hopefully get out in the woods more. We need to do more berry picking, fishing and hunting!

I've thought alot about what my mom has been teaching me, like your dad, Dr Jenner.
Number one is don't retire and sit in a recliner and watch "your shows". Also, try to be a nice person, be nice to your husband, and don't live on junk food. Also, don't let the husband do all the driving right when you retire. Keep your car. Drive it. Of course mom is now too old to drive a car, but by age 70 she had not driven for 5 years, and wasn't capable any more. Don't think things are more important than people. These are lessons I've learned from her the past few years. That being said, I'll have to be old enough and nuts enough to not know what's going on before I am drug off the farm. Ha.
Staying active is so important when we get older. One of my clients asked me recently if I like going to dog parks. I know it is not for everyone, but I love to go. It gets me going every day, physically active, socially active and watching and interacting with dogs is fun for me. There is plenty of joy in it every day. I have dog friends, dogs who come in the gate and come and say hi to me. There are many people to interact with as well. While I don't like everyone I meet there, I interact with people I wouldn't normally interact with, of all ages and beliefs. I don't agree with everyone's take on things, but I listen, to understand what the ideas are out there. I have never been an arguer or debater. Live and let live, which is a gray man thing any way. But I am not spending all day every day on the couch and watching television isn't my thing. As any of us age, being able to stay active may change with our health and not staying active affects our health.

Told y'all I'd put up pic of that room that robbed me of 10years of my life , just in stress. 10 years I don't have.
Notice the closet is full of ONLY SKIRTS. then notice how particular she is with 6 clothes hampers.... bath linen , bed linen, blues ,reds, colors , blacks.
Drives me crazy

Jim

Fibber!! There are jeans folded up on that shelf!:LOL::LOL:

I don't have than many clothes let alone skirts. Almost all of my clothes fit in an antique wardrobe - exception a few wool sweaters and winter coat that are in the spare closet. Hubby has the whole closet (not huge.)
Running into shipping issues trying to get supplies - wish me luck.

Drinking a cold beer and watching chickens. 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 85291
Sound like you're ready for your next project:
1651092371066.png

Decided it was time to get the curtains up in the 'Great Room' (living room, dining room & bar area combined), so I cut the pinewood brackets for the pinewood dowels, did a bit of sanding, and broke out the Spar Urethane & a chip brush, lol. I used a small 'Curve' (cutting) jigsaw blade to do the brackets, and even though I used the same original bracket as a template for the others, I don't think ANY of 'em are exactly alike, lol... not that you could tell unless you busted out a micrometer. No big deal, the measurements are close enough for the curtain rods (dowels) to rest level in their brackets, and a little "rustic" look is okay here... I don't hear the cats complaining, lol. That's my 'yardstick' for measuring SLOP: if the cats don't complain, it's GOOD TO GO, lol. Anyway, here are pics of the homemade pinewood brackets & dowels drying on the front porch, that's my work area for this sort of "wet" project, as I've yet to redo the porch and it doesn't matter if paint or varnish hits the old cr@ppy deck, lol. Those sawhorses come in handy too, gotta have those for home rehab work... ;)

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7125.JPG
IMG_7126.JPG
IMG_7127.JPG

In that third shot, those varnished pinewood brackets look like little ducklings, or baby dinosaurs or something, lol. The 4' pinewood dowels are gonna look nice combined with the 6"-wide varnished pinewood window sills I already installed for the cats. The varnished pine also looks good against the 'blonde' wood paneling in that room, I was going for that effect when I first decided to use pinewood sills, brackets & dowels. As an expert lifelong small craft sailor, I have an affinity for varnished wooden trim, it looks good and the varnish should hold up for a while, as it usually does unless the sun is hammering on it all day, lol. Standard white curtains from WallyWorld, nothing fancy, it's just that the afternoon sun has been BEATING through the western windows lately due to its current latitude or celestial position above the equator, and I'd rather have it beat on the cheap Chinese curtains than on ME, lol. :oops:

OKAY, BACK TO MY COLD BEER AS I WAIT FOR VARNISH TO DRY... :)

Edit: Later, I'll drill & countersink holes in the brackets, mount 'em on the wall above each 4'-wide window frame, and hang my curtains for a bit of relief from that afternoon sun, lol. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The cool weather has delayed my garden tasks so I indulged The Princess and mowed the lawn that she planned to mow this week-end.

I did spend some time trying to reach out to old associates. There is an attempt to organize a reunion of the employees of the company I worked for 30 years ago. It was a group of 100 or so field engineers for DEC ( bought by compaq, bought by HP). It would be interesting learning what has happened to all of them.

Ben

The cool weather has delayed my garden tasks so I indulged The Princess and mowed the lawn that she planned to mow this week-end.

I did spend some time trying to reach out to old associates. There is an attempt to organize a reunion of the employees of the company I worked for 30 years ago. It was a group of 100 or so field engineers for DEC ( bought by compaq, bought by HP). It would be interesting learning what has happened to all of them.

Ben
Wow, DEC brings back some memories. Probably the most stable server I've ever administered was an AlphaServer running Red Hat back in the day. That being said, I ran the AlphaServer at my side gig, the day job was running a network with Apple's A/UX at the core which was awful enough that I attribute my hair loss in my mid-20's to it.

Wow, DEC brings back some memories. Probably the most stable server I've ever administered was an AlphaServer running Red Hat back in the day. That being said, I ran the AlphaServer at my side gig, the day job was running a network with Apple's A/UX at the core which was awful enough that I attribute my hair loss in my mid-20's to it.
The original Alpha chip was 6x6 inch square with a zillion fans to keep it cool. DEC built a semiconductor facility on shock absorbers to make that chip.

Ben

We do to, mostly rock. We are doing a lot of fencing right now and bought a gas powered t post pounder. Its AWESOME!!

Husband and son just pound them in with a sledge hammer. We already have fencing but it's old wood fence posts that occasionally need to be replaced so it's not really worth it for us to spend too much on getting anything to make things easier ( a tractor with loader would be nice too)

I've been putting up temporary fencing with electric tape and plastic fence posts. They do work great on sheep, dogs and occasionally even on goats if I put 4 rows on there and the goats are not large bucks trying to get to girls

Well I survived the WM trip.
I got my Ant spray and sit on the bench waiting.

Wife went to Cato's, I waited in truck.
She got 3 tops and a skirt...🙄🙄🙄

We had lunch. Nothing special.
Got home , did some mowing.

Then went and got a truck load of mulch.
Worked on the left side of porch area.
Got it all done except the white picket fence around the landscape/mulch.
IMG_20220427_191014848_HDR.jpg

Gotta do the right side tomorrow.
This is what it looks like before...pea gravel and retaining wall blocks will be gone and new soil with felt then 4" of mulch.
Azalea, and other flowers. Add white picket fence.
IMG_20220427_191036976.jpg

Then pressure wash front of house and perch, then paint all the white porch trim.

Then put new mailbox , white country style. In front of porch by the circle drive.
Next project will be back porch.

Gotta stay busy.
Idle mind is the devil's workshop.

Jim

One of heifers has snotty nose and coughing. Gave her shot of antibiotic over weekend. Better but husband decided not good enough and wanted to give her another shot. I don’t agree at all with way he wanted to pen them. Tried to slow her down and she busted all but one board in fence going through it. Got her back in and into squeeze chute and meds. Left her alone to cool off. Moved a radio and tied it to post on Saturday. Battery operated. We bought a solar panel for barn 4 years ago. Still in box…

Been working on the right side of porch landscape.
Taking a break. Gonna run up the road for a quick BBQ lunch.
Then back at it.

77 deg and low humidity...perfect for outside work.
Waiting for wife to pick me up.
She's down the road helping my daughter with lunch.

Im old , I can really tell it with a shovel and a rake.

Jim

The previous school owner put down what looks to be a cheap pre finished laminate in the office. The veneer is laminated to plywood and it was splintering, so he tried to put polyurethane over it. The problem is that he must not have sanded and cleaned it properly before he applied the new stuff. It is peeling up.

So, I am spending some quality time scraping a ten x 18 foot floor with a one inch drywall spatula. (It is what seems to remove the finish the quickest). Next I will carefully sand the floor by hand, the veneer is very thin, and then find something that will stick to it properly to top coat it. I found a leftover piece of board I can experiment on.

So my days are filled with scraping a floor, drywalling, and digging.

I volunteer with some of our County Master gardeners at a historic cemetery that goes back to 1843. Today we planted 2 trees in memory of Ruthie. She was my mentor, both in gardening and in life. She is not buried there, but she volunteered there for years before I came along. Chaste tree and I think a spruce. We lost her a couple of months back to what we think was complications from undiagnosed COVID.

Latest posts

Back