What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a bunch done today, inside and outside! Will do tomorrow what I didn't finish today! I have to run the pool pump tonight because of the freeze, so I'm running shock through it now. Got most of my laundry done, will finish it tomorrow. Got some cleaning done, but nothing in the kitchen!🙄 We hit a glitch with the log splitter. The shaft is not wanting to pull out. The last one I put a seal kit in (with my brother and a friend) we hooked the splitter up to my truck and used a come along attached to a tree and long bolt through the shaft, it popped out! So tomorrow when it's warmer and I get home from cleaning my building, we are doing that to this splitter! Hubby has never done one of these before so he'll be learning something new!😉 Heading out to feed Buddy, play ball with Bear, and drink a few beers in the shop! Coming in the house early, it's cold out!!

Cold out here, too. I remember my spice jar project, and it still seems to work. I bought a ton of those little (tiny) mason jars, made labels for them, and those are stacked on my kitchen shelf. The big jars are what I fill from, on a shelf in the basement. Little granddaughter loves to add spice when she's cooking, so she uses quite a bit.
Went to pick up milkshakes with little granddaughter, and brought them to visit mom. Tried to explain to both of them what "The Flying Nun" show was that was on her tv. Ha. Then went to pick up from the pharmacy for husband, and the Dollar Tree next door to that. Levi the neighbor waiting for us when we got home. He and little granddaughter and playing Uno and having a root beer.

GF came home from her 6 day work trip yesterday and at my urging got some decent rest last night. I had mentioned I wanted help cleaning out and reorganizing the back room so my work stuff can be organized. I was pleasantly surprised when she helped me this afternoon. We are still not done but in addition to the work room she took the clutter out of the laundry room to organize that as well. :cool: Maybe next week I can get a little help to install the laundry sink in the laundry room. It's been sitting there for about 4 years, buried in clutter.

I had applied for a "small business" license for my T-shirt/promotional products business and the county denied it because .... they show a final inspection was never completed. I knew that but their old computer system only shows my name and permit number and no information on what was completed so I was hoping to skate on that technicality, no such luck. I will have to re-apply for a new building permit to the inspector can come out and say it's done. So, in order to get that business license (and pull a small mortgage on the house to have some spending cash for many other products) I need to finish a few more projects around here. I told her that wont happen by myself so I am grateful for the help. All I need is cement pads outside the doors, blown in insulation in the attic on top of the 6" batting I have now, and finish the master bathroom. But again, I am tired of trying to do it myself so if she doesn't help I am not doing it.

Weather has been about warm-ish the past week, getting into the 50's the past few days. Supposedly we will get more rain (sprinkles) this next week but the temps should stay on the warm side for this time of year.

Hopefully tomorrow I get to work on my truck. It needs an oil change and fuel filter change, and if I am energetic I need to replace the drivers seat cushion and cover. Next weekend is a road trip to Wyoming to pick up a side of beef for the freezer. 🥩🍔 Weather morons are guessing for partly clear skies or maybe only rain next weekend for Salt Lake City and Fort Bridger, Wyoming next weekend but I have new mud/snow tires on the truck and 2 sets of tire chains just in case. I am looking forward to a solo road trip, at least over night but maybe 2 nights if I take enough back roads sight seeing on the way home.

One last thing, my boss bought an old dodge Ram pickup with a 12 valve Cummins swap and we have been doing a few repairs on it the past week. The guy he bought it from, who did the swap, says he knows of several more 12 valve Cummins in good condition. I mentioned I wanted on in an old square body suburban and he knows of a few of them in good condition as well, all for very reasonable prices. If I finish the house and pull some money out I can get me an old project truck and swap the engine and put in a good 4 wheel drivetrain and have my dream truck. Something to work towards, putting a new spark in my get up and go.
Have a great night.

Didn't sleep good last night Sugar dropped and woke me up at 12:30. Got up at 5 to get ready for work, stomach was killin me. Made it thru and got back home, took care of the birds. Showered and plopped down in the recliner. Still don't feel like eatin much. Hope I feel better tomorrow. Got a ton going on at work. Crew of 6 working and they are making good progress. I need to figure out for sure what all's done, left to be done, and start planning for week after next when we get back to it.
Next, I've got some folks from Motorola in for a visit and try to figure out some issues we are having. Wed through Fri our BDA vendor is gonna be on site to help us determine the best layout for the bigger building we'll be doing later this year.

Didn't sleep good last night Sugar dropped and woke me up at 12:30. Got up at 5 to get ready for work, stomach was killin me. Made it thru and got back home, took care of the birds. Showered and plopped down in the recliner. Still don't feel like eatin much. Hope I feel better tomorrow. Got a ton going on at work. Crew of 6 working and they are making good progress. I need to figure out for sure what all's done, left to be done, and start planning for week after next when we get back to it.
Next, I've got some folks from Motorola in for a visit and try to figure out some issues we are having. Wed through Fri our BDA vendor is gonna be on site to help us determine the best layout for the bigger building we'll be doing later this year.
Do you have any pedialyte in your preps? It’s great for such things.
Hope you get to feeling better.

Cold out here, too. I remember my spice jar project, and it still seems to work. I bought a ton of those little (tiny) mason jars, made labels for them, and those are stacked on my kitchen shelf. The big jars are what I fill from, on a shelf in the basement. Little granddaughter loves to add spice when she's cooking, so she uses quite a bit.
Went to pick up milkshakes with little granddaughter, and brought them to visit mom. Tried to explain to both of them what "The Flying Nun" show was that was on her tv. Ha. Then went to pick up from the pharmacy for husband, and the Dollar Tree next door to that. Levi the neighbor waiting for us when we got home. He and little granddaughter and playing Uno and having a root beer.
You are on my mind. I have been thinking of you and husband. I also remember that your mother is in serious decline. Prayers for you and your family.

Thanks, Weedy! Just taking each day at a time and seeing what the day brings and dealing with it. It was good to see mom today, although she'll have no memory of it. I need to go visit my favorite cousin sometime this week. She makes me feel grounded. And I've yet to give her a birthday gift...she turned 76 and I missed it.

Do you have any pedialyte in your preps? It’s great for such things.
Hope you get to feeling better.
We keep it for when my daughter gets glutened. I find the powder is less expensive and has a better shelf life. I keep some in my BOB. I have a couple bottles of the liquid form that don't really look that good now, and trust me, she won't touch anything that is one day over the best by date. Just another thing to toss out.

Thanks, Weedy! Just taking each day at a time and seeing what the day brings and dealing with it. It was good to see mom today, although she'll have no memory of it. I need to go visit my favorite cousin sometime this week. She makes me feel grounded. And I've yet to give her a birthday gift...she turned 76 and I missed it.
I hope that she has been easier to deal with more recently. I remember that she can be difficult. You have a lot on your plate now.

Not sure what's going on out there; temp stayed in the low 20s all day, then went down to around 16 after sunset. Then The winds picked up, gusting around 25 mph, the glass if falling, but the temp is back to 20 and rising. The gusts are making my fire bluster and flare and smoke is coming into the house a bit.

zannej I hope you can kick whatever is dragging on you and you get to feeling better. Backpaker I hope you feel better soon. Amish I'm so glad to hear your husband is doing better.

Pulled the trigger this week and ordered the wood stove. It's a fairly small model from Hearthstone that will fit in the fireplace and extend out onto the raised hearth. Not having to reach over that hearth to stoke the fire will be nice. As a family we have usually done everything ourselves, but we're all getting older and slower and I decided to just spend the money and hire the pro to get it installed. Better than waiting on my brothers and worrying about them up on ladders to install the flue pipe. Hopefully it will come in from the company and get installed within the next three weeks or so.

Our pharmacist daughter loves to clean out medicine cabinets when she's here. Nothing over a best buy one day survives.
She needs to see the article about the military and their medicines being kept after best by dates. There are a few medications that are absolutely not good after the date, but imagine the military throwing out all kinds of medications that are actually still good. They keep it now, or at least they did in the articles I read about it.

Oh, I know they do, and I bet she does, too. She had a freak attack when she was here last and our son was here...he was working in the goose run, and got splashed with muck, and worried some got in his eye, and asked if I had antibiotic eye drops. Of course I gave him some. She'll never find my stash of fish antibiotics, though.

I had a friend (acquaintance) back in the early 90s who worked for a drug reclaiming company. Basically, they received things like Tylenol, other over the counter meds and prescription meds from retail stores that were nearing their expiration dates. THEY REDATED THEM!! The vet I worked for before I moved to Texas used to buy almost expired veterinary drugs for clients who wanted them. Most drugs will go far beyond what their date says.... except Tetracycline!!

I had a friend (acquaintance) back in the early 90s who worked for a drug reclaiming company. Basically, they received things like Tylenol, other over the counter meds and prescription meds from retail stores that were nearing their expiration dates. THEY REDATED THEM!! The vet I worked for before I moved to Texas used to buy almost expired veterinary drugs for clients who wanted them. Most drugs will go far beyond what their date says.... except Tetracycline!!
When I worked in the meat department of a grocery store, we had a special bottle of some chemical with a spongy applicator on the top. We used that to remove the dates for packaged meats that was out of date, such as pepperoni.

I apparently overdid things yesterday and my body didn't like it. I was out for the count most of the day. Barely dragged myself up to cook for Mom not long before I had to drive my brother to work. Dropped him off, nearly fell asleep driving home, and then flopped onto my bed when I got back. Just woke up and saw that the landline is out again. I've already left a message for AT&T about it.

@jishinsjourney Don't worry about making contributions of value. Value of a post is all in the eyes of the reader and from what I read, the most appreciated post are ones we see on threads like this. Knowing how different members days are going is certainly appreciated by most rural living folks over post that result in arguments. Concerning your allergies, have you ever had chickenpox, shingles, any herpes virus, fever blisters, etc.? If so I might have something for you to discuss with your doctor.

Anyway, I wish I had something of interest to post about this morning, but I don't.

It is the time of year that I wear socks with sandals around the house and shopping. I wonder how others here feel about such a style. The beauty of such a style is being able to change into walking shoes or work boots quickly.

I have had chicken pox, but have had allergies all my life, well before the chicken pox. My grandma had her allergies get worse later in life, and I suspect what I’m dealing with is genetic and related to menopause, plus moving to somewhere with 50% more moisture than where I grew up.

I’m largely allergic to mold and grasses (and cats, and Rocky Mountain juniper — I got a warm welcome to the plains of Colorado). But I’m interested to hear what you think might apply.

I like socks and sandals, and often wear them out in spring and fall, until it’s too cold. :D Gives me an excuse to show off my interestingly-patterned socks.

Hey, @jishinsjourney have you considered AeroGardening? While it probably isn't cost effective or subsistence gardening and depends on electricity, it might bring you a lot of pleasure and feeling of accomplishment as well as fresh veggies. I know a few apartment dwelling urban folks that do it and grow some amazing vegetables. Country living and modern day homesteading is about doing things for yourself regardless of your living situation.
I have an aerogarden, actually! But just a bitty one, that I use for herbs.

I’ve been wanting to get one of those garden tower things, with the indoor lighting — at least if I kept it inside, it would be safe from the deer and I would be safe from the allergies. One of these guys: https://www.lettucegrow.com/ — but they are expensive and we don’t have a perfect spot for one. Still working that out, but someday!

Okay, now that I have spammed you guys with other replies —

Bacpacker, have you talked with your doc about those meds? That sounds like a bad reaction to me, not that I’m any kind of medical professional. Maybe there’s something different you can do?

Sounds like it was chilly all ‘round today! It was pretty frigid when we got up, about 10°F. Went to the mountaineering club for the lecture part of the avalanche avoidance training — very good info, glad we went. After the lecture and planning and discussion, we piled into the car and went up to Jones Pass — it had warmed up by then to mid-20s, not bad. We stomped around on snowshoes and learned how to use the inclinometer and also the compass to gauge slope angles, and examined a number of areas to gauge how dangerous they might be based on previous weather, angle and facing, and whether or not they had any obvious features that indicated previous or possible avalanches.

If you spend time in snowy mountains, and especially in places like Colorado (Colorado has the highest numbers of avalanches in the US, 3x any other state), it’s well worth doing a class like this if you haven’t done it. Would recommend.

Cold, damp, west wind, temps 30/20F today, but sunny and bright... Same predicted through next Tuesday, then mid 40s/30sF....

Never got out of the building today.. Stomach felt like it could be an ..issue.. at any moment pretty much all day... Took it easy with tea, toast, baked potato, sugar free Jello, and other mild to bland things... Maybe the mediocre fish fry dinner last night caught up to me.. ?? Did have a treat today as peanut butter sandwich Girl Scout cookies are available now... I'm ...bush grandpa... to 7 little ..bush hoppers.. that will bust into the house announcing ...grandpa, mom says you will buy cookies... My answer is always ..yes ladies I will, how many you got ??...

Most every evening I play music while watching tv. I’ll play a song or 3, stop and watch a bit then play more. Sometimes the pup will sleep at my feet while I play. He always lays his paw on my left foot. That’s the foot I use to keep time.

Funny part, sometimes on a fast song the pup will start dreaming he’s running. His rear paws will start to twitch a little, move an inch or so. Tonight he stopped when the song ended twice…. Just when it think I’ve seen everything! 🤣

20240217_pupfoot 4a.jpg

Latest posts

Back