What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They (starters) usually pick the most inopportune times to go out. Once "in my youth" my car was in the shop so I borrowed a pickup from my folks. The day after I got it home, the starter went out. I lucked out and was able to get it in and fixed all in one day, but wow how annoying.

Got the starter buttoned up, the starter is easy, the wires are a pain. and the broken bolts .

I have been texting the rental ready for a new tenant. Shampooed carpet etc. New tenants passed the credit check and filling out an application tonight. I ran around and picked up windshield wipers, donuts beer, and gas.

Tomorrow order a new cover for the grill at the rental.

Ben

Got a pot of beans cooking for dinner. Working until 5. Took a walk at lunchtime with the hubby and the dog. Came home with a lost and confused chicken who apparently hasn’t eaten or drank anything for a while. She was wandering around in a fairly active intersection. I know most folks in that area and none of them are missing any clucks. She doesn’t appear to be an “outdoor” bird. Long nails, knock knees, and zero inspiration to walk away from humans or dogs. She is currently hanging with me in my office where it’s warm. I’ll have the boys put her in the quarantine pen when the get home. She is actively tearing through a bowl of food and has drank most of a cup of water with electrolytes. Other than a bit of a limp and being on the thin side, she seems fairly healthy. View attachment 125889

Why dont chickens wander into my house?

Had to work late yesterday. Wasn't feelin great by the time I got home. Didn't sleep well and just wasn't up to it today. Took a sick day and stayed home. Not feelin a great deal better tonight. Hopefully back at it tomorrow.

Sonja glad the sheep popped her load. And Prayers on the way for you Daughter and SIL.

Urban, don't tie your tie to tight.

Had to work late yesterday. Wasn't feelin great by the time I got home. Didn't sleep well and just wasn't up to it today. Took a sick day and stayed home. Not feelin a great deal better tonight. Hopefully back at it tomorrow.

Sonja glad the sheep popped her load. And Prayers on the way for you Daughter and SIL.

.......and you get to feeling better!!😉

Had to take a 200 mile round trip drive to deliver something today.....that kinda sucked in my old small toyota (love the paid for truck, it isint a honda pilot tho). Driving by fields that parralel the missouri river and the canadien geese are starting to move north evidently... great to see even if the fields are still partially covered with snow....the birds know spring is coming.
We live just on the east side of the rockies which has been call the great northern trail as it has been used by critters and humans for thousands of years.

I slept in and wasn't really planning to go anywhere but Mom woke me up a couple of times and then woke my brother up wanting me to go to the post office bc she thought her mini computer might be there. I told her repeatedly it isn't due until Friday. I just checked the status and its still in TX- According to Amazon its in Humble, which is where they lose most of my packages. Crossing my fingers and hoping they actually send it. It should have made it to Louisiana by now but it didn't make it out of TX yet.

Went to post office and then to Walmart. They had the oranges Mom likes again so that was good. Keyboard needs a new cord-- already ordered one off of aliexpress for cheap and hoping it will arrive soon. Got a temporary keyboard from Walmart. Said it was backlit and the photos online made it look like the keys light up. They do not. Had to read amazon reviews to find out how to dim the light around the keys so I could actually see anything on the keyboard when the light is on.

Cooked for Mom and am now being harassed by cats and can't see my screen.

Got a pot of beans cooking for dinner. Working until 5. Took a walk at lunchtime with the hubby and the dog. Came home with a lost and confused chicken who apparently hasn’t eaten or drank anything for a while. She was wandering around in a fairly active intersection. I know most folks in that area and none of them are missing any clucks. She doesn’t appear to be an “outdoor” bird. Long nails, knock knees, and zero inspiration to walk away from humans or dogs. She is currently hanging with me in my office where it’s warm. I’ll have the boys put her in the quarantine pen when the get home. She is actively tearing through a bowl of food and has drank most of a cup of water with electrolytes. Other than a bit of a limp and being on the thin side, she seems fairly healthy. View attachment 125889
Looks like a pretty fancy coop. My wife would be jealous.

I took a pic, just thinking of you. The wife says the suit is too big now. After 20+ years and now it's too big?

Suit.jpg

Sorry, not very good at this technology stuff....

My meetings yesterday went well. My Director was there, hopefully it will help with decisions that need to be made.

Today I finally purchased a variable power supply so I can easily "tune in" some of my projects. I have been having to improvise some things and I finally just gave up and decided to do it right. :) I am expecting it and other parts today so tomorrow I can start assembly!

Last edited:
well crap, this is not my week. So we went to to the pool yesterday, and much to my surprise it was closed for a competition. I always look on their website to make sure it isn't but this one didn't start till noon, and I must have only looked for open hours in the morning but it did have a note on the bottom saying closed after 12. The guy at the desk says:" well, it's a beautiful day outside, why don't you do some exercising outdoors? " I crack up laughing and tell him we do that everyday we live on a farm on a mountain. He gave us some free passes for next time....

Son got new tires and the belt is fine. They told him it looked pretty new and was installed correctly. Not sure why it's squaking, he forgot to ask

Husband got Doxicyline for his tick bite

went to Aldi and did some shopping since we had time and were in town anyway

Today , animal care and I am going to make a batch of eggrolls to freeze to see if that works. It's not practical to make just 3 and I really don't care for the store ones all that much plus they are expensive. Mine are better and much cheaper.

@sonya123 The belt may be squealing because one of the bearings in whatever it is turning is going bad push down on it with your thumb to see how loose it is you should not be able to push it out of line easily.

It may be as simple as some type of contaminant on the belt too.

My old 85 3/4 Chevy has a long span on one side that lets the belt slip when I put a heavy load on the alternator like running the Trailer Winch or hooking up the Trailer Battery after it has been under load for a long time.

Hope you can find it, it will usually cause a belt to fail a lot faster when it slips.

I've completed my first week on the In-Track welding gang. It's not much different from any of the 100 other gangs I've been on. It has a "Four Tens" schedule, meaning we work four, ten hour days each week. Then we get a 3 day weekend. So, I'm off work today and I slept in til 0745.

We got freezing rain last night. There's a quarter inch of ice on my truck. I'm trying to decide if that's a sign from heaven, telling me to go back to bed.

My sister rented a wheelchair accessible van and we're going to break Mom out of the nursing home this weekend. We are going to drive her 50 miles to a great little road side BBQ joint in an old gas station. They cleaned out the old service shop floor, put picnic tables in it, and started smoking meat. It has the best brisket for at least 150 miles in any direction. After we eat we're all going to my sister's house in Ames. My SO and I probably won't stay too long. She goes to bed by 8:15 every night so I have to get her home, you know...😉

@sonya123 The belt may be squealing because one of the bearings in whatever it is turning is going bad push down on it with your thumb to see how loose it is you should not be able to push it out of line easily.

It may be as simple as some type of contaminant on the belt too.

My old 85 3/4 Chevy has a long span on one side that lets the belt slip when I put a heavy load on the alternator like running the Trailer Winch or hooking up the Trailer Battery after it has been under load for a long time.

Hope you can find it, it will usually cause a belt to fail a lot faster when it slips.
the stupid belt just needs to last 2 more months ( until son graduates) , it's a 2004 Buik Parkavenue
we bought it when the engine in his Durango gave up and in the middle of Covid shortages. It was the only thing even remotely reasonable ( some old person car that died and it came from an estate sale with low miles and in decent shape, passed inspection last year without any issues which is something none of our other vehicles seem to do)

I've completed my first week on the In-Track welding gang. It's not much different from any of the 100 other gangs I've been on. It has a "Four Tens" schedule, meaning we work four, ten hour days each week. Then we get a 3 day weekend. So, I'm off work today and I slept in til 0745.

😉
LOL I thought of you when I saw a large freight train in town next to us. Do you ever work in Virginia?

Going to work for a few hours, hopefully getting home before the next round of rain. Any significant rain will flood my road! Doing some cleaning here at home later. Hopefully nothing too exciting happening!😃
we just put out the sheep, lambs too , and now it is drizzling. There is nothing on our radar and no rain supposed to happen until 3. Hopefully the lambs won't get sick, but they are already a few days old at the least ( the latest ones are still inside)
if it gets worse we will have to put everyone back in
BUT I will NOT complain about the rain , I am thinking about your Texas fires. I would rather have the rain, even if it is inconvenient sometimes. The river below is about to run over if we get many more days of rain and there is mud everywhere, but still better than fires....

the stupid belt just needs to last 2 more months ( until son graduates) , it's a 2004 Buik Parkavenue
we bought it when the engine in his Durango gave up and in the middle of Covid shortages. It was the only thing even remotely reasonable ( some old person car that died and it came from an estate sale with low miles and in decent shape, passed inspection last year without any issues which is something none of our other vehicles seem to do)
spray some belt dressing on it, it might settle it in...

@sonya123 I don't work east of Chicago. My railroad, Union Pacific, is a western railroad. We go from Chicago, Memphis, and New Orleans to the west coast. Because of certain Union rules, there are even parts of that territory that I can't work in unless I give up my Union rights in other parts of the territory. So, I don't spend much time east of the Mississippi River...

Got the girls to school and got husband fed, taken care of. Going out to do animal chores. My throat is still on fire, and my face is clogged. Glad it's Friday. No doc appts today. Rainy, wet out, lower temps tonight, probably I'll start up the fire. My to do list is getting longer, but I believe in doing what I can when I'm sick, so we'll see if I get something done besides the normal. Little granddaughter is off all next week for spring break, so she'll be a good helper. There will be lots of plant starts ready to go into bigger cups next week.

Staples are out but still need to take it easy for a few more weeks.
Can't get over how much better it feels now.
Might be able to stand long enough to make some meals instead of just a sandwich
Start anticancer drug as soon as we get the script. That'll last 3 years.

My spinach I planted last Fall over wintered and now is growing again. I can go out and pick some

Hubby just left to go pickup the zero turn mower he took in to get a once over so its ready for mowing this year. Apparently it had a bent blade where he hit a stump

Woke Up to Blue Screen on Me TV, Audio is good...!!! After doing some required steps to fix it, I decided I will just visit some thrift shops in the Loco Area and see what I can steal for around $50...!! Might even stop at the Loco Pawn Shop and see if they are willing to Haggle a bit... Hope where-ever one is it has the Remote...!

Have A Good Day All... Stay busy as the

Attachments

• Marc372024 003.jpg
    Marc372024 003.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I got today off. We worked 4 10's this week.
Got caught up on sleep..
Going to take the pups for a walk
Its SUNNY!
But in the teens still..wait it might be 20 degrees!
Yesterday at 6am it was 2 up the mountain then -7. At sunrise..in March.
I'm ready for some heat.
since the sun is out..I will be outside alot today
Dog walk, poop patrol , eaiser to pick up when turds are frozen..

I got today off. We worked 4 10's this week.
Got caught up on sleep..
Going to take the pups for a walk
Its SUNNY!
But in the teens still..wait it might be 20 degrees!
Yesterday at 6am it was 2 up the mountain then -7. At sunrise..in March.
I'm ready for some heat.
since the sun is out..I will be outside alot today
Dog walk, poop patrol , eaiser to pick up when turds are frozen..
I used to work 4 9's and a 4, every friday afternoon off :)

Latest posts

Back