What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I started scouring the black/grey fleece I bought myself for Christmas. One box down, seven to go. :oops:

Took dad grocery shopping, made arrangements for Safelite to come Monday to put a new windshield in his truck. A stone hit it while we were upstate. Did my taxes. Now I'm just puttering around. Was hoping for nicer weather but it's windy--like March windy--and cloudy with sprinkles every now and again.

Today the wind has been blowing 30+ MPH. Had to tie down my car tent as the fabric started to rip. Tried to work in the garden, but that wasn't working too well. Ended up doing dishes and laundry instead. I hope tomorrow things settle down so I can transplant my squash.

Today the wind has been blowing 30+ MPH. Had to tie down my car tent as the fabric started to rip. Tried to work in the garden, but that wasn't working too well. Ended up doing dishes and laundry instead. I hope tomorrow things settle down so I can transplant my squash.
The wind is stupid here too!!

Little granddaughter found a dress and some tshirts she liked. Came home to find a tray of cinnamon rolls and a card from one neighbor, and a pie from someone else that I don't know who. Whoever it was set it in my very messy kitchen. It's been a day! So, company doesn't start filtering in for a week, and mom's service isn't till the 24th. Thinking of putting the food in the freezer. We're still working on the pecan cream cheese dessert another neighbor gave. Husband was home, but was sleeping. I maybe got three hours of sleep, but just can't sleep during the day. Looking forward to bedtime. All of the twenty something guineas are now on the front porch, and yelling at me through the screen door. Just saying hello. Phoenix the cat had five kittens, all black. I have some phone calls to make to mom's elderly friends (for years) to let them know she passed. They're in California. Not looking forward to those calls.

Little granddaughter found a dress and some tshirts she liked. Came home to find a tray of cinnamon rolls and a card from one neighbor, and a pie from someone else that I don't know who. Whoever it was set it in my very messy kitchen. It's been a day! So, company doesn't start filtering in for a week, and mom's service isn't till the 24th. Thinking of putting the food in the freezer. We're still working on the pecan cream cheese dessert another neighbor gave. Husband was home, but was sleeping. I maybe got three hours of sleep, but just can't sleep during the day. Looking forward to bedtime. All of the twenty something guineas are now on the front porch, and yelling at me through the screen door. Just saying hello. Phoenix the cat had five kittens, all black. I have some phone calls to make to mom's elderly friends (for years) to let them know she passed. They're in California. Not looking forward to those calls.
I am sorry for your loss, Amish Heart. You are blessed to be part of the community that you have.

Kiss your Donkey today and everyday :huggs:
1713047007122.png

My first day back among the living!

Got the flu a week ago ... been more than a decade since I last got it. Dr. gave me Tamiflu and Augmentin.

Couldn't sleep late because of the workers in the master bath so I endured in my recliner under a blanket. The plumber was here until 10pm last evening fixing a leak that he had nothing to do with.

Then to add to my misery, I had chemo on Thursday, extending my misery 2 more days.

So I got to walk the pups first time in a week, ate real food, and actually made Smokey Chicken Corn Bacon Chowder. Came out real good. But now I'm feeling a bit fatigued, so it's time to relax. Sadly, I'm still on medication, so I can't even drink alcohol!!!!! And I ALWAYS imbibe when cooking.

Well, have a good evening everyone!

Woke up at 1:30 again 🙄. At least I got back to sleep then didn’t wake up until after 5. Got some good house cleaning done this morning. Got the little greenhouse moved outside- right outside the back door so protected. That means I can get the dining room back to right. Worked in the yard most of the day. Hubby forgot his phone this morning. I had to go drop off tax payment 😡 so took his phone and left it on his desk figuring he was onsite. Got home and Hubby had decided to come home 😂. We decided to have blts so when I went to get the Ts, I picked up his phone. Got lots done outside- gorgeous day.

well i just took my mutant "tractor" for a test drive, it seems to work ok, for now, I missed the little weirdo, it is handy and mostly easy to get in and out of And it is easy on fuel

Spring can be a challenge… last night I had to run the heat. Since noon I’ve had the ac on. Quiet day today, recovering from yesterday’s shopping trip. Some lite chores, nothing serious. Nothing good on the tv, think I have a couple of bargain bin dvd’s I’ve yet to watch. :rolleyes:

peanut my temps have been all over the place too. Leave for work need the heat on in the car. Coming home today it was 82.
@LadyLocust I never heard of keeping the greenhouse in the dining room. I imagine your plants are well fed.
@Amish Heart i hope you’ll get a decent night’s rest.
@Ekatarina you too. No worries.
@teeceetx The virus, flu, allergies, all going around in the area. Sorry you’re battling bad feels from chemo AND being sick. I thought you had family there to help ya out.
I’m doing better, heard from two sons. Was so sweet and soothed my mom heart.
This is not a happy month for our family but we’ll all get through it once again.

Planted cabbage and lettuce. Finished loading up for the camping trip, and set up to hook the truck up, damn jack on the camper wouldn't work, wouldn't even click. Did some trouble shooting and found a wire loose. Fixed it, still nothing. Finally broke out a multimeter and found the battery at 4 volts. Its tied to a solar panel, so looks like the battery is dead. Used the car and jumper cables to get hooked up. The put it on the battery charger to get unhooked. Gonna leave it on trickle charge overnight and take it loose in the morning. Let it go till Monday and monitor the battery voltage in the meantime. Trying to decide whether to get a deep cycle or a LiPo.
Sis and BIL came up and had supper, sat around a campfire, smoked a cigar with BIL. Rough start, but turned out well.

Last edited:
Worked on lawn mower it needs a new stator ring.
Worked on the 4 wheeler it needs a new battery, it will not hold a charge.

Tried to get the garage organized enough to bring the little red car in, the clear coat is going away and the red paint is too, it is too good of a racer to let go down all the way.

Worked on a stack of books and 20 years of tax returns to decide how in the world to store all of the stuff. There are books from all types of places maps from the 40, 50, 60s, all the way to 80s. Annuals from Delta, Utah, and three other High schools an a couple of colleges, all kinds of history books , mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering, science, and physics, automotive repair and design books, An entire library of Railway engineering and regulatory books.
I had no idea there was so much of it.

I buy old history and reference books all the time.

I try to get local reference books and school books anywhere I can find them sometimes you will run up on an old local historians book in a thrift shop that will be the real thing as it was lived from the perspective of that person. No better or more accurate history can be compiled.

I have some really old reference books that give the daily accounts of some places in the Revolutionary War times, some from the Civil War with verbatim letters from soldiers to their families and the muster lists from day to day with casualties for each officers troops and the daily log of the action.

A lot of things told by rewritten history are very grossly untrue. Even some early school books twisted historic facts to support an errant opinion and form a narrative that would cause unrest.

got a lot done yesterday, made 6 freezer pizzas, took Otto for hike , planted carrot seeds , plus cleaned the barn after 3 days of rain

busy today too, need to plant the potatoes and peas, son tilled that part of the garden with the hand tiller and dug a trench for the potatoes , this should probably go into the garden thread

running out of time to get things done, and now we are out of firewood except what we cut and chop ourselves ( there are always trees down) , told husband to call and get another dump truck load full. We sure go through a lot of wood

woke up to a tendon cramp on the side of my left lower leg, I have no real answer as to how a tendon can cramp, but it hurts enough until I can walk it off on a cool solid floor

Latest posts

Back