What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Snappy...you might like the infectious disease doc more than the pulmonary doc. I know we do here. Infusion time, then off to the infectious disease office for blood draw and bandage change, the fusenra shot and the wait time afterwards at the other clinic. Then some more clean up before the relatives arrive. Amish neighbor boy Aaron came and mowed today, looks great!
I'm thinking so! He will do more than the pulmonologist.

Glad we had his pic line checked, it's worked downwards, and is more of a midline now. But doc is checking it first thing in the morning (early) so we'll see. Originally, it was intended to stay in till end of day Friday. We'll see. Flowers for the funeral Wednesday are starting to arrive. Daughter and granddaughter are working on photo boards of my mom, and I'll get some housecleaning done. Took daughter down to the feed store to get some zpacks to bring home to Washington. She arrived with a sinus infection and we already got her started on one, and she is feeling better already.

Well, I can say this was the funniest funeral I’ve ever been to! 🤣 Everyone was laughing, J was a great guy, 96, korean war vet. Army guard was there, a beautiful service!!! J, like everyone, had a few quirks. Have to know the guy to understand the humor… 😁

Only 2 great uncles/aunts left alive of 18 on that branch of my family. Maybe I can keep it straight for a while. One grandmother was one of 18, the other was one of 21, I always them confused. Easy to do in my family, one grandfather had 26 siblings, the other 10. Don’t ask how many cousins I have, I honestly don’t know!

But today I saw several of my favorite cousins, couple dozen were there. It was nice to catch up. Big crowd, about 130 attended. Even saw a highschool girlfriend. It was nice, she and I played for a gospel group back then. She had an amazing voice, beautiful.

No plans but tv, don’t know what I’m gonna do for dinner.

20240422_j46a.jpg

Last edited:
Water bath canned leftover Italian Wedding soup.
Got 3 pints, and 2 half pints for the pantry tomorrow.
Made up homemade hot rolls.
Dishes
Laundry
Coffee
Crocheting
Dealing with youngest sister's drama.
Basically her messages go to voice mail for several hours or days until I might answer.
Dealing with Dad's insurance company stuff.
Again, again and yet again.....................
Making grocery lists, will do Alidi's run this week.
Won't leave the house after Wednesday afternoon.
Local festival will be in town for 6 days and 5 nights.
Better make sure I have enough coffee stocked up.
My people skills will be tested a whole bunch.
Might need some kind of junk food too.

At first light today it was low overcast, strong south wind, occasional sprinkle of rain.. Temps 70/45F today.. This evening now sunny, calm, 68F and the same predicted for most of the week..
Out today for a McDonalds coffee.. Scout one of the thrift stores for Tuesday 40% off senior discount.. Dentist appointment tomorrow.. Oh fun... Shouldn't take long.. Wednesday is dermatologist appointment to take care of the patch on my arm..

All the stores seem to have there parking lot green house areas set up.. Some with fruit and landscape trees and bushes already..

This morning I saw about 40 wild turkeys in the brush along the highline right of way.. Green grass and nickel size dandelions along the curb at McDonalds.. After the last 3-4 nights of below freezing temps, spring is getting here eventually..

Best wishes for Tracker..

Here's Tracker before surgery. He lost a lot of blood and needed a transfusion. All of his internal organs were pushed up in to his chest cavity. After 5 hours of surgery they put everything back where it belongs. They only had to remove his spleen. They thought he was going to lose an eye from the pressure, but it seems to be fine now.
View attachment 128606
Hope that tracker does well , and I really hope your Wife is ok, it is hard to hurt a pet, even if it is the pets own doing.

Long day yesterday but good. Traveled 5hr. each direction to go to oldest niece’s bridal shower. Got to bed about an hour and a half after bed time and still woke up this morning and went to work. Then I was actually busy today so now I’m tired. Hoping to sleep well tonight.

Got up to the job site in Mason City, Iowa and found out the train jockeys put another one on the ground this weekend. The tracks were back in service by the time we got there, but there were 8 loaded grain cars lying on their sides with various train parts scattered about and mixed in with old ties and broken steel. That's what you get when you run 14,000 ton trains over 40 year old, 115 pound ribbon rail...the locals repaired it with 40 foot, pre built track panels. We got busy welding those panels right away. Today we'll finish that up. The Precision Scheduled Railroading crap show must roll on!

The bigwigs decided to add a couple jobs to our gang and give us thermite welders too. That way we can break 3 or 4 guys away from scheduled projects and go take care of emergencies. Also it let's us weld rail in places the flash butt welders can't get to like off the ends of switches. I'm not sure what good it will do, but anytime you can get the greedy bigwigs to add more jobs, it's a plus!

today we are sort of taking a day off, really don't have time but doing it anyway. Going swimming if they are open ( they have events there sometimes for the university) , then taking husband out for lunch for his birthday on Saturday ( yes early but I hate restaurants on weekends and we don't have time) , then shopping for some chicks and some other stuff . Plan on getting some that lay white eggs, since we don't have any plus some cornish cross meatbirds.

weather is COLD for end of April, wood stove is started and I took my tomato plants I thankfully have not planted in the garden yet inside last night
Some of the animals are out , it's dry and not windy. Baby goats and moms are in

We're picking Tracker up at the animal hospital right now. The wife ran him over with the tractor on Saturday. Didn't think he'd survive.
so sorry wow, poor doggie hope he recovers well
I put ours up when husband runs the tractor because I worry about that too, they like to go run around it and bark at it

My visitors have left, so I dropped people to work/buses went directly to do a stock up of fresh fruit and veg etc. Paid bills, collected parcels, then called on the way home to a friend who's brother just passed away. Stayed longer than expected, so as its a glorious day said to hell with chores, popped dinner in the slow cooker ( Pasta sauce will add pasta later) and going to do a few bits outside. House cleaning can wait :) the fridge is full again, don't have to go anywhere unless its on foot for the rest of the week.Enjoy your day!

I'm going to make oatmeal with cannabutter, then scoot around, then lay in my hammock, then clean my room.

Should have done this last summer but health prevented me. I was barely up to running a chainsaw today, wore me out!

I got the right of way cleared so I can pull into the road safely. Lots of log truck pass here, it had gotten dangerous. Everything was wrapped up in vines. A mess, all the brush was effectively tied together. Then… there is a telephone junction box and a 4ft deep ditch in the middle of it, also a wooden post set in concrete. A royal pain… but the chainsaw fired right up, hadn’t been started in a year. I used the tractor and frontend loader as much as i could.

While I was at it I cleaned up that corner of the yard. Trees and brush had been encroaching. I really didn’t want to cut down very much. Since the timber behind was cut I get a lot more car noise from the road. So I left as much brush as I could. It’ll be nice and thick by next summer then I’ll have some peace and quiet.

Before, couldn’t see anything.
20240423_140445ub.jpg

After, nice and clear. I left one limb sticking out because it’s a male mulberry tree. 20Ft to the left is a female mulberry that makes good fruit. Had to leave the limb, think it’s high enough not to be an issue.

20240423_140501ul.jpg

Assorted cleanup…

20240423_151914u.jpg
20240423_151929u.jpg

20240423_151931u.jpg

Oh, last pic, there was plenty of devil’s walking stick growing there. The little thorns are needle sharp and rock hard. Have to be careful around it, or you’ll wish you had.

20240423_151931uz.jpg

Last edited:
Dumped out a pot of grape vine clones. Found 6 with good root development. They got their own pot. The rest went back in to give them a chance to set roots.

20240423_192359.jpg

Then off to visit the youngest granddaughter for more math tutoring. She is working on cartesian coordinates. Mix in some geometry in the mix.

Ben

Last edited:
I got the mutant tractor somewhat functional again and posted most of my tractors in the tractor thread, and one of the shop crew photo bombed
016.jpg

baking again today for the market at the university tomorrow but not as much. We have no idea if and how much we will sell there. Will try to bake some smaller stuff and maybe cut a few breads in half if someone does not want a whole one

yesterday was good, we went swimming but I could tell we hadn't been in a while so I only did 20 laps and sat in the hot pool for a while
went out for lunch and it was pretty good, actually a Salvatorian restaurant that had some Mexican food too.
Had margharitas when we got home and after taking care of the animals.

It was supposed to rain this morning, but it looks like it is going around us again. We actually do need some rain. Very dry for here in spring. Usually I complain about the endless rain but not this spring. I have to water whats in the garden every day. Have not made any progress on the garden either. I need to plant the onions and start repotting the tomatoes into larger pots since it is still too cold out to put them in the garden

Another busy morning, need to leave for work soon!! A lady I clean for moved to a memory care center yesterday. I worked for her over 25 years. Going to meet with her daughter today about cleaning her apartment. It's always weird when someone moves like this, all their stuff is in their homes and they'll never be back!

Planted some more garden, took a load to the dump. Got back home and mowed as much as I could get done. Took care of the birds.
Dug up some Nandinas that came up under our old ones to give to my sister and Neice. Took cutting from Forsythias for them and my mom. We are getting together for my dad and Nephew in laws birthdays.
Any Special thing to do with the Forsythias as I planted 2 but only one is growing well...?!? Will
1713970573453.png
1713970684303.png
or do You do it a dif way...??

Need to get outside and do some yardwork, just don't know where too start 1st...?!? Hope All Here Have a "Blessed Day"...!!

Latest posts

Back