What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Board of Zoning Appeals meeting tonight, should be easy cases.

I can't wait to move the tiny UNZONED area in Clinton Township.

100 bucks a year, I can buy cheeseburgers from Dairy Queen for dinner every month.

Did the second pot of grape clones today. 15 more with roots. I have NO more room in the greenhouse.

20240424_142612_HDR.jpg

We have a potential overnight freeze but I can start planting out tomorrow.

Ben

Last edited:
Well today was a strange day. Work has been getting me down so I called the boss this morning and told him I was taking the rest of the day off as a mental health day. His response was "it's about time". It snowed for a while today after high winds and thunderstorms overnight; for a brief time this morning I had snowflakes and cherry blossoms on my deck at the same time.
My Mom was supposed to come help with the apples but then she called and said she wasn't feeling up to it. So I putzed around with some small chores and a friend sent me a facebook link about a dog that needed a home, which I happened to notice because I wasn't working. She knew I had sort of been looking, even had filled out applications and provided references at a couple of rescues, but no one ever called me back.
This dog had wandered onto a neighbor's property and killed a turkey. It must have been a very valuable turkey, as the police were called and restitution was sought. The people said they would get rid of the dog if the turkey owner didn't press charges. So the poor thing ended up at a local shelter. I went over to meet her, and we walked around the yard for a while talking things over. Then when I sat down she came over and climbed in my lap and gave me kisses, then rolled over to have her belly rubbed. I went back into the office expecting the typical sign your life away sort of approach, but the gal had me write down my name and address and handed me the leash.
Not what I was expecting! Eight years old, fixed, seems to be in good health, and that's all the info I have.
So after a crazy ride home with a frantically scared animal trying to grab the steering wheel, I got her settled in the house and made a quick run to town for a new collar, a long lead and harness for walking, and some food. After a lot of pacing and panting and some whimpering, she's finally settled down here in front of my chair.
So now there's someone in the house to give me a reason to get out of bed in the morning, and a period of adjustment ahead for both of us.
Meet Casey.
1714002325745.png

1714002355687.png

Been thinking its saturday all day for some reason, odd. I usually have no clue what day it is unless someone tells me. At least I had a theory today, that’s an improvement. 🤣

Feel surprisingly good. Went plant hunting last saturday, funeral monday, cut vines and brush yesterday. More than I usually accomplish in 2 weeks. I’m hoping its an indication this summer will be better than last, more energy. Flat on my back most of last year, no fun. :(

Nothing but tv planned this evening.

Busy week at work. Meetings all day yesterday, 2 today, another one tomorrow. Ordering parts. Planning out work for next couple weeks.
Did get some good news yesterday, one of my 3 big projects that has been held up for months will start up Monday. We won't be doing all the work, facility electricians will pull most all the coax. Considering its the reactor building and has some contamination in some areas, we are good with that. If all goes as planned, we'll finish it off sometime in May.
Planted more stuff in the beds.

It's been a crazy couple days at work. Yesterday we shot 21 flash butt welds and 2 thermite welds in 6 1/2 hours. Today we only got half that number, but we finished the derailment site and we're prepped to start heading north on the mainline. If I understood correctly, we need to get 16 welds tomorrow to be done with the Mason City area. Then we'll move towards Albert Lea, Minnesota. It's about 150 miles from my home, so it's not too far compared to most of my jobs.

Tonight I'm messaging back and forth with my daughter. She wanted help picking out photos for her graduation invitations. It's getting real now. She has 16 school days left...

My brother called me today and now I feel stressed enough to have anxiety and just had a shot of vodka AND a gummi....
The reality of having to go on this trip set in I guess. He wants us to go to Paris to visit my niece who is going to college there. I do not want to go to Paris....been there several times don't want to deal with all that. I am going to visit my dad who is probably not going to be around much longer. I have met my nieces maybe 4 times their entire lives, most of it they were kids, now older teenagers. The one in Paris just started college. I doubt they will care very much if their old aunt from the US will meet them or not....
I also don;t particularly want to spend a lot of time with his psycho wife...
My brother is now annoyed with me because I invited my cousins and uncle to my dad;s house ( I was always very close to them growing up and see them every time I visit) and don't want to go visit his daughter in Paris. Whatever....

Baked all day, hope the university students will buy something. I baked cookies but they failed because the oven I had them in ran out of propane in the middle of it, and now they look flat. I guess they will go at a discount

It's been a crazy couple days at work. Yesterday we shot 21 flash butt welds and 2 thermite welds in 6 1/2 hours. Today we only got half that number, but we finished the derailment site and we're prepped to start heading north on the mainline. If I understood correctly, we need to get 16 welds tomorrow to be done with the Mason City area. Then we'll move towards Albert Lea, Minnesota. It's about 150 miles from my home, so it's not too far compared to most of my jobs.

Tonight I'm messaging back and forth with my daughter. She wanted help picking out photos for her graduation invitations. It's getting real now. She has 16 school days left...
Congratulations growing a youngun.

Ben

Went to a cemetery in Milford OK to look for relatives graves from the 40s.
We found a lot of relatives but we could not find our GG grandpa.
Either he has no headstone or it's covered with grass.
We know we were close but no luck.
Stopped at a grade school in Antlers, OK my Dad went to in 1941. It still looks the same but they have added onto the building.
Overall it was an interesting day.
Went to the Chickasaw White house.

This dog had wandered onto a neighbor's property and killed a turkey. It must have been a very valuable turkey, as the police were called and restitution was sought. The people said they would get rid of the dog if the turkey owner didn't press charges. So the poor thing ended up at a local shelter. I went over to meet her, and we walked around the yard for a while talking things over. Then when I sat down she came over and climbed in my lap and gave me kisses, then rolled over to have her belly rubbed. I went back into the office expecting the typical sign your life away sort of approach, but the gal had me write down my name and address and handed me the leash.
Not what I was expecting! Eight years old, fixed, seems to be in good health, and that's all the info I have.
So after a crazy ride home with a frantically scared animal trying to grab the steering wheel, I got her settled in the house and made a quick run to town for a new collar, a long lead and harness for walking, and some food. After a lot of pacing and panting and some whimpering, she's finally settled down here in front of my chair.
So now there's someone in the house to give me a reason to get out of bed in the morning, and a period of adjustment ahead for both of us.
Meet Casey.
View attachment 128741
View attachment 128742
Great dog. Thank you for giving her a home. Love her up good.

Data mining. It's a thing.
Long days gone. In for the night finally. Enjoying life, loud music on a good sound system, good food, sweet friend. Get back to getting some housework, shopping, and laundry done in the next few days.
The dog and cat act like they haven't seen me in weeks. Working a different schedule tomorrow. :(

Funeral for mom was yesterday, and it was a very long day. Son left on the 2 am train back to New Mexico, but everyone else is still here, some leaving tomorrow. Oklahoma nephew and his wife are leaving this afternoon. So far, no heated arguments and no twins showing up, so that was good. Flowers and food all over the place. Not sure what's on the agenda today except husband's sputum sample this morning, picking up the truck from the train station that our son drove over, but our daughters can handle that. Little granddaughter back to school today, and picking up the neighbor girl, too.

Another busy day!! Hubby and I are working on a lady's concrete fountain in her garden. Have to move and disconnect the the concrete top to access the water tank below. Drain and clean the tank, and pump. Then reassemble. It's a two person job! Then I'll do a few more odd jobs around her place while Hubby goes home to clean up then take an elderly friend to a doctor's appointment in Ft. Worth! I'm off Friday and Saturday 😃, rain and storms both days, will get stuff done inside the house!! AND, I will be working on my Friday Fives questions for tomorrow!!😉

@Heartbroken , Casey looks like a great companion!

Yesterday, I didn't walk. Yikes!
Had to get teeth cleaned first thing in the morning and then took friend to thrift shop and Walmart.
Still waiting to hear from VA and docs to get DH's IV antibiotics started.

Walked this morning with Bo.
Cleaned baths and dusted house.
Walked Aninja and Bo around property.
Got meat out to thaw- cooking out tomorrow.
Bible study tonight.

Well, the tile guy is here again. He needs to finish the area where the vanities and cabinets go. So far he's doing a great job, very meticulous! Vanities and cabinet arrive on Wednesday, so tile and grout must be on the walls and floor in that area. A race against time.

The pups no longer freak when they see the guys here.

:)

I went grocery a big part of the day to get the lowest prices of what was on my list
except for Dane Girl and the cats they get always the best and it makes them happy

All went well ..they all are fed ...now my turn

1 roast chicken leg and a corn cob with butter
Dessert will probably be cheesecake
then a tea......then a drink to relax

:)

I went grocery a big part of the day to get the lowest prices of what was on my list
except for Dane Girl and the cats they get always the best and it makes them happy

All went well ..they all are fed ...now my turn

1 roast chicken leg and a corn cob with butter
Dessert will probably be cheesecake
then a tea......then a drink to relax
Sounds like a good dinner! We're having Kiolbassa Sausages on a roll with peppers and onion, maybe mashed potatoes, Chocolate cake for dessert, some kind of alcoholic beverage.

Went to a cemetery in Milford OK to look for relatives graves from the 40s.
We found a lot of relatives but we could not find our GG grandpa.
Either he has no headstone or it's covered with grass.
We know we were close but no luck.
Stopped at a grade school in Antlers, OK my Dad went to in 1941. It still looks the same but they have added onto the building.
Overall it was an interesting day.
Went to the Chickasaw White house.
Have you searched for their grave memorial on Find a Grave? That was how I found my gg grandfather's grave in Nebraska. Actually, that is how I found him. I didn't really know who he was until then.

The pups and the local squirrels have a game now. The squirrels sit on top of the fence, shaking their tails at the pups. Pups go crazy and run to the corner where the squirrels run to and disappear. It's hysterical to watch. They sit in the corner and look up waiting for the squirrel to reappear!!View attachment 128804
My Heidi hates the squirrels.

IMG_2446.jpeg

She likes to make them nervous by pointing at them. Then she lays in wait and removes them from garden.

My Heidi hates the squirrels.

View attachment 128825
She likes to make them nervous by pointing at them. Then she lays in wait and removes them from garden.
I don't think I've met a dog that likes them. Today at the dog park, a young squirrel decided to venture in, at the far end. I was visiting with a man and saw it. I asked if he saw what I saw, trying to not say, "SQUIRREL." He did and said that one of his dogs hates them as well. I was surprised that one of the dogs with me didn't see it and mentioned that. Just then dog saw the furry tailed rat and ran as fast as he could towards it, and it finally realized he needed to get out. By the time my dog got there, squirrel was out of the fence, but was there were three dogs there, looking at the squirrel and barking at it.

I don't think I've met a dog that likes them. Today at the dog park, a young squirrel decided to venture in, at the far end. I was visiting with a man and saw it. I asked if he saw what I saw, trying to not say, "SQUIRREL." He did and said that one of his dogs hates them as well. I was surprised that one of the dogs with me didn't see it and mentioned that. Just then dog saw the furry tailed rat and ran as fast as he could towards it, and it finally realized he needed to get out. By the time my dog got there, squirrel was out of the fence, but was there were three dogs there, looking at the squirrel and barking at it.
I love to watch the ratting videos of dogs.

No wonder dogs react to squirrel like They do.

Ben

Latest posts

Back