What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped at dad's farm on the way home today and checked out the wild asparagus patches. It's pretty early but there are a few spears poking out of the ground. I think I'll go back on Saturday and cut myself some...
20240502_095411.jpg
20240502_095042.jpg

The asparagus is really purple this year. If you blow the images up you can really see the little purple spears. When it's purple, it's the good stuff...😁

Worked late tonight. Will be there all weekend too. Big project we started on Monday is completed outside from the antennas all the way too the comm closets where the BDAs will reside. Next week the reactor shuts down for a couple weeks hopefully we can get everything done in the restricted areas. That won't leave a huge amount to finish and that building will be done. Great cooperation with the facility folks once we got started.
Been working on a new quote for a replacement beta gamma monitoring system to replace a 30+ year old unit We've been keeping patched together for years. First time in 8 years we've had funding on time to get this started.

better day today than yesterday , nothing went wrong
got the laundry done, bedroom , bathroom and kitchen cleaned, husband got some stuff to kill the root maggots , and goats and sheeps went were they were supposed to

one weird thing happened, got a call from the power company. They want to trim tree limbs where our power line is ( right in the middle of the largest pasture ) with a helicopter! Anyone ever heard of anything like that? What if the limbs fall on top of a goat ? They gave me a time frame of 3 weeks (recorded message not a live person of course) , we can't put the goats somewhere else for 3 weeks, we need that pasture
have to call them next week, busy baking tomorrow but market will probably get rained out

got the laundry done, bedroom , bathroom and kitchen cleaned, husband got some stuff to kill the root maggots , and goats and sheeps went were they were supposed to

one weird thing happened, got a call from the power company. They want to trim tree limbs where our power line is ( right in the middle of the largest pasture ) with a helicopter! Anyone ever heard of anything like that? What if the limbs fall on top of a goat ? They gave me a time frame of 3 weeks (recorded message not a live person of course) , we can't put the goats somewhere else for 3 weeks, we need that pasture
have to call them next week, busy baking tomorrow but market will probably get rained out
I have heard of using choppers to clear the right of way. TVA does that all the time. If you can get to the right person they will likely work with you on timing.. to some degree

The yard and gardens have entertained me lately. Three 4x4 boxes of broccoli in. Onebox of tomatoes. Mowed the yard and field out back. Moved fig tree clones outside. Put up a chicken wire fence to protect the olive tree from deer. I have a week of rain coming so I am pleased the outside stuff is done.

With an eye to watering in transplants that are too far distant to use a hose, I acquired a water tank with pump for the back of the side by side.

20240502_203452.jpg

It came with clips from the battery connection.

20240502_203549.jpg

Since the battery is under the bed of the side by side it would a pain if the clips fell off in transit. So I purchased a cigarette lighter plug. When it came time to plug in the option plug a compatibility was noticed.

20240502_203739.jpg

So enjoying the fragrant rosin core solder incense is planned for tomorrow. ;)

But speaking pragmatically, I want to retain the power switch and in-line fuse which is part of the supplied wiring harness. After all it will be raining.

Ben

The owls have stayed around the neighborhood, I’m super happy about that.
I’ve still got lots of seeds to get into the ground so the yard will look like a wildflower meadow. Maybe I could get a certification from some flower conservation group and show the code enforcement that it’s a protected property and not able to comply to code
:gardening:
Worked today like usual but things aren’t feeling right. Hopefully it’ll even back out again and we can continue on as usual.

1714699200438.png

https://www.fairlifts.com/helicopte...imming-a-modern-approach-to-aerial-tree-care/

Our errant teenager we have been raising actually got in some for pay hours at his new job with winco....night shift begins at midnight tommorrow....
We are transporting him currently but his first months pay will be getting his license back and finding a cheap car which I will help out with...
This has certainly been a journey......
A friend talks about events in life being polishing stones for your soul...this one has been a high speed belt sander..

Congrats to Jake. We had 3 potential interns turn summer work at the lab. Great learning experience and 750 bucks a week. One guy is an engineering controls student. He would have a perfect fit and most likely could have stayed permanent after graduation.
Love that bike
He will be lucky to get gas money but I told him if he will go ahead and do it I would prop him up.

He will be lucky to get gas money but I told him if he will go ahead and do it I would prop him up.
Once upon a time, HD was trying to patent the sound that Harleys make but they had trouble in identifying it so that it could be upheld. They claimed Harleys said “potato potato potato.” Yours must be speaking a foreign language 😂

It's FRIDAY, so I'm getting ready for Morgan's Friday Fives questions!!😧 I'm also off today, was going to run a few errands, was just informed WE are running a few errands!! Doing laundry, a little cleaning here, and I DESPERATELY need to clean the inside of my truck! Need to straighten up a few glitches in my schedule, and make a few phone calls to check on some elderly friends! Lots of critter time later!

Today, Bo and I will walk after his breakfast.
I will thaw and dehydrate figs. Gotta get started on the freezers again.
Nothing else planned.

The welcome home party was fun last night! Way too much food. That's what happens when Baptist women throw a party!

Last edited:
Great granddaughter today breakfast is in progress HEHEHEHEH. She is becoming independent and demanding. Gonna be a strong minded girl Great papaw likes that.

Her dad keeps her in line though she never has to be spanked just a little no or don't do that and she minds well.

Isn't life special with your babies around you. !!!!!

The yard and gardens have entertained me lately. Three 4x4 boxes of broccoli in. Onebox of tomatoes. Mowed the yard and field out back. Moved fig tree clones outside. Put up a chicken wire fence to protect the olive tree from deer. I have a week of rain coming so I am pleased the outside stuff is done.

With an eye to watering in transplants that are too far distant to use a hose, I acquired a water tank with pump for the back of the side by side.

View attachment 129132

It came with clips from the battery connection.

View attachment 129133

Since the battery is under the bed of the side by side it would a pain if the clips fell off in transit. So I purchased a cigarette lighter plug. When it came time to plug in the option plug a compatibility was noticed.

View attachment 129134

So enjoying the fragrant rosin core solder incense is planned for tomorrow. ;)

But speaking pragmatically, I want to retain the power switch and in-line fuse which is part of the supplied wiring harness. After all it will be raining.

Ben
I have installed quite a few of those as well as a spray boom on the back for weed killer....any underground cable work has to be fixed up afterwards to prevent spotted knapweed and other nasty plants from infesting it...(I have no use for killer weed killers but it is what it is).

Once upon a time, HD was trying to patent the sound that Harleys make but they had trouble in identifying it so that it could be upheld. They claimed Harleys said “potato potato potato.” Yours must be speaking a foreign language 😂
My late brother said the sound was hundred buck, hundred buck, hundred buck,.anyway 270 degree 2 cylinders sound better

being mildly irritating, drinking coffee, I guess the shop cats thought I needed some pre dawn noise since the snow isnt falling off the roof, so a couple of them disassembled the cat house on the deck

How's Bo? We need updates!!😃
Bo is doing great at becoming a pack member! Very well behaved (except for playing a little rough with the cat). Goes on my whole walk with me every other day (don't want to wear down his paw pads). Still not barking which is great, but may change after a while. He is the definition of a perfect gentleman and a good boy! I've heard that at 3 months, they are settled in. We will see what changes.

Our time in town went quicker and easier than I thought it would. Husband had an ortho appt I got him to. Then to social security...mom's death certificate, and for help for signing up for SS for me. I thought they were closed, no one in the parking lot. Nope. They were waiting for customers. Ha. Our bigger town is pretty small. No wait at all. Pharmacy pickup, and they were all backed up. But that's how Walgreens is. Grabbed lunch at Qdoba for a treat, and we ate in the truck..hard for husband to get in and out. It was good, but not sure it was worth the price. Ha. Some coffee at home and some Wagon Train, and now, time to get off my butt and get some housework done. I am officially done with the paperwork to do list my sis gave me to wrap up mom's stuff.

Today was the start of my three day weekend (swapped shifts with the Sunday tech this week). Got up early--purely unintentional. Had the windows and the curtains open last night and it was cool and sunny this morning. That backfired on me. Really wanted to sleep until 7:30. Took Heidi to the vet for her rabies and parvo shot. The vet asked if I wanted to do her annual wellness today rather than bring her back in two months. Sure, why not. Glad I just got my tax refund otherwise Miss Heidi would have to find herself a job and her only skill is killing squirrels.

Turned very overcast so an executive decision was made to not do any outside work. When I wound the warp for the upstate loom, I also wound one for the naked loom here. Decided to dress the loom today. Eight yard warp--what was I thinking? All was going perfect. Obscenely perfect in fact. Then about a yard from the end I heard the unmistakable sound of popping threads. I think at least two. Guess I'll be testing my weaver's knot tying skills soon.

Allergies are raging. Might go to bed early tonight.

All in all, a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning in the garage to make room for the freezer delivery on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back