What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to samsclub yesterday. Feeling exhausted today. Mom wasn't feeling well last night or this morning. She wouldn't eat breakfast until around 3pm. Eggs and toast. Her sugar has remained high so hopefully she can get some adjustment to her insulin after her appointment on Monday.

Rained most of the day so cats were inside fighting. Got a mild sinus headache and have been coughing a bit. The pollen is not helping my allergies.

Body is slow and sluggish and hoping I can get feeling well enough to paint the door in my bathroom on a day that it isn't so damp.

As an aside, I found out that the demo tool I got for $25 from the local hardware store is called a Stanley Fatmax Fubar.

I have one, but am afraid to use. I was told that just one missed tooth could throw the entire chain off kilter. I just buy new ones and pay too much. Mine isn't Still just a generic.
Paint markers are your friend. ;)

I've been spoiled using an electric driven cutting/grinding wheel, plenty of adjustments.... but once dialed in just move on down the line. Then I just mark the start point, when it comes around again - it's good to go, or more like then turn it around in the fixture to hit the other side..... then good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks. I haven't posted in a while since I haven't really be doing any homesteading. Now that it is Spring, I'm itching to work.
Nobody told me a person has to be a homesteader to post here, but having an interest in such things certainly applies.

Said from a current city-dweller with having some heart and interest in living off the land and being self-sufficient.

Had a wonderful time pickin’ at the Civic Center today. Lots of people were there that I usually see on Pine Mtn. Funny, I got accosted by a couple nurses as soon as I got there this morning, wanting to talk plant medicine. I didn’t know either of them, evidently everyone knew who I was. People were calling me ‘the herb guy’, by the end of the day some were just calling me Herb! Guess I have a new nickname… 🤣 I'll probably get a new one at the next event...

The morning had classes for every instrument, people teaching banjo, fiddle etc. In the afternoon bands were on the main stage. 5 total, couple were really good. I tried to catch a few minutes of each group.

The rest of the time I was pickin’. Probably 40 pickers there, divided into small groups. Any where we could find a space to play. I played in a break room most of the time, the acoustics were surprisingly good. We named our group the ‘Breakroom Boys’! The guys playing on the indoor basket ball court had the cool name, called themselves ‘Courting Bluegrass’! 🤣 All in good fun.

A day well spent… just watching tv tonight, exhausted.

20240504_breakboys55a.jpg
20240504_breakboys57a.jpg

Last edited:
Our internet was out. It’s working now but not very well.
@Smalltimefarmer good to see you. You don’t have to just talk homesteading 😊. Also, and can I ask what state you’re in? Hope you’re safely out of the flood zone.

Went to a flea market this morning then to lunch with a friend. It was mostly junk but I found a treasure. Friend said I found the one treasure in the place 😂. This is when I just got it home. I got the hundred year old grime off and she’s ready to roll.
IMG_7077.jpeg

Was that a local buy, or on line? I need one of those
our local Stihl dealer has them in stock, I would guess that most any dealer would have or be able to get them

I have one, but am afraid to use. I was told that just one missed tooth could throw the entire chain off kilter. I just buy new ones and pay too much. Mine isn't Still just a generic.
I have almost always free hand filed, until now, this guide is very impressive. Like OldSchool said, a marker, I just use a sharpy when I am done the first tooth. I tried a few other guides over the years, they were ok for the first 3 touch ups, but then they cut the wrong height when the tooth wears. I run Stihl chains on what ever saw I use, mostly big husky s ( 2100 and 372). They are really good, same with their files

Today, I bought a chainsaw filing guide tool, because I can't quite see like I used to stihl finaly built one that works it does the raker at the same time, and compensates for tooth ware, View attachment 129254it is called a stihl 2 in 1 file holder
==
I had one of those for my little MS170.... It worked well.. Much better than I could do by hand.. But then, even with all the years in tool and die machine shops I never got the knack of hand sharpening very well..

One bit of experience I found was I had much better luck using Stihl brand chains.. I had several Stihl, and several chains made from the correct size Oregon brand bulk chain..
Your experience may vary..

Worked on tractor and bushog today, cut about two acres to see how it did good for a 7' 40 year old bushog.

Saturn Service HEAVY 7' will pick the front of the tractor up bouncing when it has no weights.

It will cut 4 " high well, but the runners will cut lines if you drop to 3"

Man I like the hand sharpening guide, Especially if it cuts the depth gage too. I use a power sharpener, it does a great job I always cut the depth gage down five strokes before ever starting the saw, Throws strips instead of chips but the saw has to be powerful enough to do it., Big Huskys and Stihls can handle it.

Our internet was out. It’s working now but not very well.
@Smalltimefarmer good to see you. You don’t have to just talk homesteading 😊. Also, and can I ask what state you’re in? Hope you’re safely out of the flood zone.

Went to a flea market this morning then to lunch with a friend. It was mostly junk but I found a treasure. Friend said I found the one treasure in the place 😂. This is when I just got it home. I got the hundred year old grime off and she’s ready to roll.
View attachment 129268
Now that IS a GREAT find looks as good as new too

my heel hurts bad , looked it up, it is either a bone spur or plantar something somthing , basically, walking around in muck boots too much , plus probably my accident. It's on the other foot, so I am probably not walking evenly because of that
But have stuff to do. Will have to sacrifice some other shoes to wear in the barn and garden
Anyone even have anything like that? Rest is not an option, I have 1 week left before the trip
( I can rest sitting on the plane)

so today animal care, I need to process some eggs , we have just too many. I am just going to freeze some cooked ones for the dogs and some raw ones for baking
Also need to check into the flight and add the details
plus plant the elephant garlic I got at the market yesterday. I have tried before and it failed but trying again. She told me to not put much or any compost on it and don't water too much either

Just woke up this morning and did the dishes, then was at W-m as they opened and got some stuff for my latest project. Then stopped by MickeyDs for a snack. Everything is put away, it's raining today so I need to find stuff to do indoors. But first I have to get ready for church...

Just looked at the clock, it's almost 07:00..

Night of storms and heavy rain, haven't checked the rain gauges yet. Will do that when I feed Buddy in a few minutes! Cleaning my building on Tuesday morning instead of today. Might actually get around to cleaning that closet, lol! Bear and his little kitty sidekick Tiger stayed in bed during the storms last night! That was nice for once!

We had some rain, too, doesn't look like much, but it's wet out. Will be taking little granddaughter in to the bigger town after lunch. She needs new muckboots (Walmart), a dress for the graduation ceremony at school (Kohls), and it is supposed to be red. Then to her favorite HteaO for a drink, and to Aldi's for weekly shopping.

Night of storms and heavy rain, haven't checked the rain gauges yet. Will do that when I feed Buddy in a few minutes! Cleaning my building on Tuesday morning instead of today. Might actually get around to cleaning that closet, lol! Bear and his little kitty sidekick Tiger stayed in bed during the storms last night! That was nice for once!
Oh How I Miss that...!!! 💐

@Snowman do you have any cats right now?
@sonya123 sorry about your foot. I’ve never had that kind of problem. I started using shoe inserts because my feet hurt so bad after work most days, which can be physically draining. It helped so much to use inserts that I can actually go to the store and/or fix dinner after work.
@UrbanHunter i keep forgetting it’s Sunday. I think I’ll watch church on zoom. Still not feeling good and an annoying cough.
The rain last night, couple of times kaboom thunder. Checked in here expecting to see Pearl. Glad your kids stayed in bed! Kept getting flash flood warnings on my phone.

my heel hurts bad , looked it up, it is either a bone spur or plantar something somthing , basically, walking around in muck boots too much , plus probably my accident. It's on the other foot, so I am probably not walking evenly because of that
But have stuff to do. Will have to sacrifice some other shoes to wear in the barn and garden
Anyone even have anything like that? Rest is not an option, I have 1 week left before the trip
( I can rest sitting on the plane)

so today animal care, I need to process some eggs , we have just too many. I am just going to freeze some cooked ones for the dogs and some raw ones for baking
Also need to check into the flight and add the details
plus plant the elephant garlic I got at the market yesterday. I have tried before and it failed but trying again. She told me to not put much or any compost on it and don't water too much either
I get plantar fascias alot. Sounds like it could be what you describe possibly.
The tendon from the back of the heal that goes under the foot to the toes can get these little tears from injury, overuse, getting old n fat, runners get them alot, I'll fitting shoes, aliens, ..
It can heal but it can take awhile. I've had it flare up off n on since my 30's.
It sucks. Rest, stretching, good shoes, hot spring soaks , foot massages n tlc..

Latest posts

Back