What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last two weeks of work sucked.
I do not enjoy 3 am wake ups.
Even when I attempt to bed down at 6 or 7 , wind down, try to meditate to relax n all that but I toss n turn till 10 or 11..then get up at 3 to get to the mill early to attempt to not be as buried in units of wood.
Seems like something tends to go wrong..hydraulics shut off..oiler forgot to fill tank, forklift driver is late n I have no sticks, stick wreck jams a oak stick in a cup , throws my chain timing off n I'm going on 4 hours sleep , 3 days in a row ..beating a stick out of the cup with a sledgehammer on top my my machine at 5 in the morning.
I break the stick out, toss the sledgehammer because I'm tired n pissed n my hair is crazy n a stray hair tickling my face n the sledge bounces the catwalk too much..coffee cup falls off the stair ..
I really really want to retire..lol..
So that's how my last two weeks went..

Yesterday was good, I got some stuff done n forced myself to stay up late so I can transition to night shift mode.
It started raining good last night..windy too. It's supposed to rain for a few days.
Today I will cook my lunches, do laundry, start a new rug n chill..

I have almost always free hand filed, until now, this guide is very impressive. Like OldSchool said, a marker, I just use a sharpy when I am done the first tooth. I tried a few other guides over the years, they were ok for the first 3 touch ups, but then they cut the wrong height when the tooth wears. I run Stihl chains on what ever saw I use, mostly big husky s ( 2100 and 372). They are really good, same with their files

Thanks for the info... sounds like a handy item to have. I have a Granberg tool that does an excellent job but is difficult to use. I tend to use it once a year to insure everything is right. I also have an electric sharpener that I use the rest of the time. I thought hand sharpening was behind me until after cataract surgery. Now I can free hand just fine once again. The trick is a tight chain while sharpening. (a stihl 251 and an old husq 340)

No plans today but rest. Yesterdays fun wiped me out. Oh... heard there's a small festival starting this Thursday, a 4 day event. I'm brain dead this morning, can't think. Maybe tomorrow I'll start working on a plan, I'd like to spend 2days and a night there. It's only an hour away, have to figure out the logistics.

Last edited:
Sometimes people are not ready...sometimes Heaven send you one from Heaven
one that you never did expect to come in your life again ...
and sometimes some people just keep the one they lost in their heart
They come to you when they are supposed to be in your life!!♥️

None will Replace HER...

Attachments

• Marc372024 017.jpg
    Marc372024 017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 03March132024 008.jpg
    03March132024 008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Another granddaughter sleep over survived. They really have find another hobby other than bickering.

I planted more onion seeds. I can't recall growing onions from directly sown seeds. But I may have.

Wondered about the garden and found an apple graft from last year took. I thought it was a failure.

20240505_155443_HDR.jpg

Patience is a virtue that applies to every aspect of fruit trees!

Ben

Took GF and Ruby the dog up to dad's farm on an asparagus hunt today. It went well...
20240505_151723.jpg

We got almost 2 pounds total. The dog loved playing in the tall grass on the hillside. The only drawback is that we had to spent 20 minutes checking for ticks afterward. I had 3, she had 2, and Ruby had 5 of them on her. So, I think I'm banned from taking Ruby into the tall grass now. Lol

The Sunday did start with rain and it did rain all day finally
I kept myself busy with cats and dog
I was on and off here too
Making fire because its a feel good and bcuz of humidity

Ate some chicken fried rice and sliced yellow potato
Dessert : waffle cone and vanilla Iced cream

Tomorrow Monday supposed to rain on and off light rain
Oh well..........

Hope you will have a comfy night and sweet dreams

Survived the shopping expedition with little granddaughter. She did find something to wear for graduation, also some new muck boots. I filled a cart at Aldi, got stuff put away, and dinner almost ready. Our youngest daughter's 30th bday is tomorrow, so we've got her scheduled for a couple of nights at a resort, with a bottle of wine and choc strawberries awaiting her arrival. She's in Tucson. Found a nice wool coat for myself when I was out shopping today...half price because of the season. All set for winter.

Worked on the chicken coop early and did a couple loads of laundry, then went to church. ⛪️ Home & fixed noon dinner and sealed up the mountain man granola I made for Hubby yesterday. Then he wanted to go for a drive past where the archery club meets. He might join- would be good for him. Came home again and made chocolates: salted caramel creams 🤤 to take to a meeting Wednesday. Back to work tomorrow 😬
It’s been pouring all day. The fields need it.

@sonya123 there is a foot brace you can get. Hubby wore it at night (yep things to do). He said it wasn’t comfortable to sleep in but it helped within a couple days. He also wears inserts now.
@Spikedriver did you sing “check you for ticks?” 😂

Took GF and Ruby the dog up to dad's farm on an asparagus hunt today. It went well...View attachment 129321

We got almost 2 pounds total. The dog loved playing in the tall grass on the hillside. The only drawback is that we had to spent 20 minutes checking for ticks afterward. I had 3, she had 2, and Ruby had 5 of them on her. So, I think I'm banned from taking Ruby into the tall grass now. Lol
Tick checking is a good thing!!😉

Worked on the chicken coop early and did a couple loads of laundry, then went to church. ⛪️ Home & fixed noon dinner and sealed up the mountain man granola I made for Hubby yesterday. Then he wanted to go for a drive past where the archery club meets. He might join- would be good for him. Came home again and made chocolates: salted caramel creams 🤤 to take to a meeting Wednesday. Back to work tomorrow 😬
It’s been pouring all day. The fields need it.

@sonya123 there is a foot brace you can get. Hubby wore it at night (yep things to do). He said it wasn’t comfortable to sleep in but it helped within a couple days. He also wears inserts now.
@Spikedriver did you sing “check you for ticks?” 😂
Brad Paisley!!

@sonya123 I have plantar fasciitis and there are 3 things that can really help that. #1 is your shoes. You need good quality shoes with a lot of arch support. As soon as the support starts to break down, it's time for a new pair. Second is insoles made to help the condition. I use Spenco "Total Support Max" insoles. They're about $40 and they are durable, and they have helped me tremendously. Third thing is a sleeping boot or cast. You want to keep your foot at a 90° angle to your leg while you sleep. There are many different kinds. The ones I tried fit over the top of the foot and up the shin, with straps under the foot and behind the calf. It didn't help me a lot but YMMV...

Our internet was out. It’s working now but not very well.
@Smalltimefarmer good to see you. You don’t have to just talk homesteading 😊. Also, and can I ask what state you’re in? Hope you’re safely out of the flood zone.

Went to a flea market this morning then to lunch with a friend. It was mostly junk but I found a treasure. Friend said I found the one treasure in the place 😂. This is when I just got it home. I got the hundred year old grime off and she’s ready to roll.
View attachment 129268
I'm from Middle Tennessee. Born in KY, but moved when I was 30.

@sonya123 I have plantar fasciitis and there are 3 things that can really help that. #1 is your shoes. You need good quality shoes with a lot of arch support. As soon as the support starts to break down, it's time for a new pair. Second is insoles made to help the condition. I use Spenco "Total Support Max" insoles. They're about $40 and they are durable, and they have helped me tremendously. Third thing is a sleeping boot or cast. You want to keep your foot at a 90° angle to your leg while you sleep. There are many different kinds. The ones I tried fit over the top of the foot and up the shin, with straps under the foot and behind the calf. It didn't help me a lot but YMMV...
thanks!! I will order some. I noticed my foot feels better when I wear regular Nikes . So probably the problem is wearing the stupid muck boots all the time. They have no arch support at all and I even wear them hiking with the dog up the mountain ( so I don't get ticks) can't win, pick between bad feet and Lyme disease LOL....price to pay to live on a farm...
I put ice on it yesterday and it felt much better after that. We are going shopping today, will look to see what they have at Walmart, maybe buy some of those "old people" ( yeah, that's me....) shoes people wear in hospitals

I think part of it is I do less yoga over the winter ( too cold )

shopping today, have to pick up my Euros at the bank too
will try to sit most of the day, husband will have to take care of the animals on his own for a few weeks after this week anyway, we;ll see how it goes today

we processed 12 cartons of eggs yesterday , cooked and froze them for dogs ( older ones) and made breakfast quesadillas out of the rest , running out of room in the fridge
today I will freeze some raw individual ones for cooking
we usually sell enough eggs to not have to do this but since we will miss 3 weeks of market we have too many

Another granddaughter sleep over survived. They really have find another hobby other than bickering.

I planted more onion seeds. I can't recall growing onions from directly sown seeds. But I may have.

Wondered about the garden and found an apple graft from last year took. I thought it was a failure.

View attachment 129316

Patience is a virtue that applies to every aspect of fruit trees!

Ben

my favorite apple tree seems to have died ( no leaves on it, no reason, maybe just old) . Is there some way I can cut of some branches and graft them onto another tree? Do you have any good websites or advice on how to do this? Our ag extension office has lessons on that just about once every year, but it seems like that day never works out for us

thanks!! I will order some. I noticed my foot feels better when I wear regular Nikes . So probably the problem is wearing the stupid muck boots all the time. They have no arch support at all and I even wear them hiking with the dog up the mountain ( so I don't get ticks) can't win, pick between bad feet and Lyme disease LOL....price to pay to live on a farm...
I put ice on it yesterday and it felt much better after that. We are going shopping today, will look to see what they have at Walmart, maybe buy some of those "old people" ( yeah, that's me....) shoes people wear in hospitals

I think part of it is I do less yoga over the winter ( too cold )
I put arch support insoles in my muck boots!!

Latest posts

Back