What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an at home day, at least I think so far. Lots of outdoor chores for me today, until it gets too hot anyway. Chicken "littles" in the milkhouse need to be moved to the transition coops in the coops. Had little granddaughter clean them out yesterday from the last group of littles. Lots of weeding and planting need to get done, too.

Finished my facilitation contract, so I'm free for the summer now. They are interested in having me back, so that's good news.
Today got stuck into the final compost bin, turned the top half into another one and tomorrow will remove all the soil into one of the veg beds, and start planting out my bigger seedlings such as mange tout and squash. Need to find space for the turnip seedlings that are coming up far quicker than I thought they would. The weather has turned very cool here with a stiff breeze, like autumn. Very disappointing after two weeks of heat. Its been overcast but no rain, which I could do with the top up the barrels. Potatoes doing well and started harvesting the polytunnel strawberries.

wondering how the world has so many stupid people.

I can't explain that either, when I look out every now and then while working, 95% of the Time I only see Cell Phone Zombies walking around on the Street with their Cell Phones in front of their Heads.

None of them would realize it if Enemy Tanks suddenly drove past them, a few would film the Russian Tanks with their Cell Phones and send the Pictures to their Friends on FB with the comment that the Swiss Army is on the move again. 😵‍💫

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzapocolypse.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzapocolypse.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
We bought another place in New Mexico. The deal came up and was just too good to pass up. We've been pretty busy getting it spruced up. It's one fenced acre with a one bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house. Solar power but I had to get it up and going again. That set us back about a thousand for new Life po4 batteries, charge controllers (2), and inverter. Had to get a shallow well pump for the water tank. And a lot of clean up inside and out. Had to replace one toilet.

New Mexico makes it difficult and expensive to get rid of trash. We had a salvage guy come in and haul off metal and old appliances. (Three refrigerators, a water heater, tons of scrap metal!) That didn't cost us anything. But we now have probably 30 yards of household trash. The previous resident tossed the trash bags into an old fenced chicken run. Evidently for years!

To make matters worse the local transfer station is being cut back to two days a week and prices are going up.

Anyway it's high desert land part of a huge subdivision split up years ago. Land is running around $1500 and up per acre. No building permits needed except for drilling a well. Lots of campers and a few sticks and bricks structures.

$8,500 total with a thousand down and $500 a month. It'll be paid for by this time next year. It was owned by a friend of our daughter then sold on contract. The guy just left (after not making payments for awhile) and they were putting it back up for sale again when our daughter found out and gave us a call.

We still have our Montana place as well. We may sell it. Haven't decided for sure on that. It's paid for so there's no rush to decide. Property taxes have gone way up there this year.

I thought I was going to start my maintenance weeding when my son called. So I picked him up in the pick-up and off to Lowes we went. 3 4x8 if flooring, 6 2x4s and a box of screws.

He has a side by side modular home he got for free because it had holes in the floor and other damage. We fixed all of the damages. That was about 16 years ago. Since then the flooring we didn't fix has started to fail. Time for him to keep his place functional.

Ben

Last edited:
My new cordless Dewalt rotry hammer drill was delivered today, along with a 1-1/2 by 24" rock bit. Total cost was around $1200. I've got probably 1,000 holes to drill in rock to install T posts. A lot of my fence goes through rocky areas that are impossible to drive in T posts. I've got a Hilti hammer drill but it corded so it would need a generator to operate it.

My new cordless Dewalt rotry hammer drill was delivered today, along with a 1-1/2 by 24" rock bit. Total cost was around $1200. I've got probably 1,000 holes to drill in rock to install T posts. A lot of my fence goes through rocky areas that are impossible to drive in T posts. I've got a Hilti hammer drill but it corded so it would need a generator to operate it.
Ben wipes the drool from his chin...

Get the warranty. You may need it.

Hope you have a pile of batteries and chargers.

Ben

We bought another place in New Mexico. The deal came up and was just too good to pass up. We've been pretty busy getting it spruced up. It's one fenced acre with a one bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house. Solar power but I had to get it up and going again. That set us back about a thousand for new Life po4 batteries, charge controllers (2), and inverter. Had to get a shallow well pump for the water tank. And a lot of clean up inside and out. Had to replace one toilet.

New Mexico makes it difficult and expensive to get rid of trash. We had a salvage guy come in and haul off metal and old appliances. (Three refrigerators, a water heater, tons of scrap metal!) That didn't cost us anything. But we now have probably 30 yards of household trash. The previous resident tossed the trash bags into an old fenced chicken run. Evidently for years!

To make matters worse the local transfer station is being cut back to two days a week and prices are going up.

Anyway it's high desert land part of a huge subdivision split up years ago. Land is running around $1500 and up per acre. No building permits needed except for drilling a well. Lots of campers and a few sticks and bricks structures.

$8,500 total with a thousand down and $500 a month. It'll be paid for by this time next year. It was owned by a friend of our daughter then sold on contract. The guy just left (after not making payments for awhile) and they were putting it back up for sale again when our daughter found out and gave us a call.

We still have our Montana place as well. We may sell it. Haven't decided for sure on that. It's paid for so there's no rush to decide. Property taxes have gone way up there this year.
there is a name that I haven't seen for a long time, glad your back

It’s been crazy 🤪. It’s still crazy. Saturday I am driving my mom and uncle to an event 3 hr away so if I’m not already crazy 🤪 enough, I will be after that. Sunday I am kidnapping Hubby and he is kidnapping me and we are taking the trailer up to go fishing 🎣.

Yes, and yes. The drill comes with 2 - 9ah batteries plus a charger. I've got 6 additional batteries and 4 chargers.
Cool!

The largest batteries I have are 8 AH.

Please update on AH per hole when you figure it out. What type of rock are you dealing with?

Ben

I went to the grocery store with my brother to stock up on more stuff and pick up RXs. Almost forgot the meds. Pulled more spoiled food out of fridge and freezer and got my brother to help me get the bag out of the trash. He actually tied it off and took it outside for me since it was too heavy for me to lift easily. Ran out of space in that bag and started filling another but I don't want it to get too heavy. All of the new frozen food is going in the new freezer instead of the one on the fridge. I still have a couple more things in the fridge's freezer to unload.

Mom wanted me to go pick up an RX that wasn't ready this morning so I went back in and insurance won't let it be filled until tomorrow.

Had to use bottled water to fill the cat waterer and to wash some dishes. Hate to waste water that way.

Got a siphon thing to try to siphon water out of the cistern into a bucket but it didn't work. Tube wouldn't reach the water after awhile for some reason. I think it curled up and I was getting eaten by mosquitoes.

Grabbed some fittings from the hardware store and am resting now. Been doing a sketch trying to plan out what fittings to put where in the new pump setup. It's convoluted but hopefully it will work better than the existing setup.

Cool!

The largest batteries I have are 8 AH.

Please update on AH per hole when you figure it out. What type of rock are you dealing with?

Ben
A couple years ago I hired a guy to drill some holes for me. He had a corded drill, seemed like it took 20 minutes per hole × 18" deep. It's all volcanic basalt around here.

A couple years ago I hired a guy to drill some holes for me. He had a corded drill, seemed like it took 20 minutes per hole × 18" deep. It's all volcanic basalt around here.
Yikes!

Volcanic basalt is hard stuff, isn't it?

I have to deal with shale around here.

Not my area of expertise.

Ben

Back