What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I was going to start my maintenance weeding when my son called. So I picked him up in the pick-up and off to Lowes we went. 3 4x8 if flooring, 6 2x4s and a box of screws.

He has a side by side modular home he got for free because it had holes in the floor and other damage. We fixed all of the damages. That was about 16 years ago. Since then the flooring we didn't fix has started to fail. Time for him to keep his place functional.

Ben
NO, you are getting ready for FRIDAY FIVES!!

@Bacpacker Man that is definitely NOT COOL.

I always told the people responsible for paying everyone not to short any of my men unless they wanted to come out of their pockets.

One supervisor did some of another crews because their foreman was off sick, he said they could get it in two more weeks on the next check so I called the main payroll office and told them the people the amount of time and the supervisors name and he called the supervisor for approval because it was a lot of money.

I told the supervisor if it happened to me he would find out what it felt like being staked to a fireant hill with a pipe from the hill to his gut.

Seem it's That Time Again so

1716525495659.png

Today is the feed store for chicken feed, the Jungle Jims international market for a walkabout.

I'm sitting here wondering if I can find some sort of short potable water safe hose that I can put one end down in the cistern and then suck on the other end to get it filling a bucket. Would have to lift the cistern lid a bit and put something under to hold it up enough to put a tube in. I don't want something as large diameter as a garden hose, but I don't want it too small either.

Came up with a few sketches for plans for the pump system based on parts I already have. It's convoluted, but the existing system is convoluted too. Waiting to see if my friend has any feedback/thoughts on it. I also need to call the doctor's office to discuss insulin pump supply stuff with the NP to figure out what is best for Mom to get.

Today I have to head down below to the Chevy dealership.
My truck started making a squeaky rubber noise. I thought it was a tire or ?? Its hard to try n hear the noise n drive slowly trying to figure it out. I just got the breaks done so I brought it back to the tire shop n the machanic said the noise is comming from the transmission. He said it might be a seal or from the little hydraulic pump in the tranny...but ?? Nothing is for sure untill its looked at.
A few years ago I had a new engine put in ..I only have about 30,000 miles on that engine.
If it is the transmission..the dealership is more expensive ..but they guarantee parts n service.
And even if it's a few grand..its still cheaper than a new truck.
I guess I'll see what they say.
I'm dragging my friend with me. She needs a day away from her husband and so we will get caught up n go have lunch while my truck gets looked at.

@Bacpacker Man that is definitely NOT COOL.

I always told the people responsible for paying everyone not to short any of my men unless they wanted to come out of their pockets.

One supervisor did some of another crews because their foreman was off sick, he said they could get it in two more weeks on the next check so I called the main payroll office and told them the people the amount of time and the supervisors name and he called the supervisor for approval because it was a lot of money.

I told the supervisor if it happened to me he would find out what it felt like being staked to a fireant hill with a pipe from the hill to his gut.
Nope not cool at all. Still trying to get it all sorted out. Supposedly they are cutting me a check for the difference in pay for the month. Still no word on anything else. And with the holiday this weekend I'll be surprised to hear much else before next week. Just hope my badge works Tuesday

Yesterday was another crazy day for me. After Bo and I walked, I went to Aldi, Walmart and Dollar General for stuff for DH. Stopped at VA clinic to ask about respite care so I can leave in October for a week (a little less). They have a social worker, but she wasn't there. Will try again in August or so. I have cannabis infused honey in the crockpot. Will take care of that today. Met a friend for lunch. Bible study last night.

Already walked today.
Am working at little cafe today for 3 hours.
Will finish with honey after that.
Hope to rest some!

Busy week, not over yet. Got the electrical problem on big tractor fixed and got it out of the garden, a major relief. That tractor has been a nagging issue for 3 months. Glad its resolved. I bush hogged wed and again yesterday for a bit.

Found a new patch of mtn mint this week, best part, it’s here on the farm. Oh, just up the road logging was done a couple years ago. They destroyed one of my go to spots for a plant called Sweet Leaf, a wonderful medicine. It’s back!!! Saw it yesterday, only a dozen plants just starting to bloom but I think it’ll do well. (below)

Put new strings on my guitar. Mostly ready to play music tomorrow on the mtn. Had planned to drive up there late this afternoon and get a hotel rm. Wanted to do some plant hunting before dark, there’s a creek close by that I wanted to scout, pretty desolate area. But there are thunderstorms for today and tomorrow. Nope, not getting in a new creek during flash flood watch. :(

So, I’m in a holding pattern today. Still have to iron a shirt but that’s about it. I’ll load the cooler in the morning then be on my way.

20240523_plmon212a.jpg20240523_plmon213a.jpg20240523_plmon225a.jpg

Last edited:
Sonny has a show at the mud park, got storms coming and it will be a lot of mud they are setting up on a trailer by the lake, everything will get wet. it will be running off of a generator, I do not like it at all.

They won't cancel even though it will not bring in enough to pay the rental for the crank stands and the six DAS Vantec 20s and it will take at least a day of work to clean the stuff up if the Vantecs get wet it is 2500 apiece It is a fiasco in progress, last time it was like this the Can Am ended up totaled.

I just hope one of the artist does not end up fried with no driven in ground on the stage for the equipment any thing they bring to set up, and light, any piece of equipment with a wire that goes bad can be a deadly thing even the console if it gets wet can cause a feed.

Some things are just inherently not a good idea, electricity rain and shows do not even come close!!!

If you had a week to drive a couple of round rods and tie everything on the stage to them and drive a long one for the genset I would fell at least a little better. I had a good friend get killed by 440 because some igmo did not change a frayed heating element wire and left the case ground off of a machine.

My friend walked up between that machine and the one next to it, the frayed wire had contacted the side of a cover on top of the machine, he put on hand on it and the other on the machine next to it that was grounded and it blew right through his heart.

Sometime in your life you really have the urge to kill an idiot.

Some folks just don't know any better!!!!1

Wondering about the whole getting older stuff, I keep irritating one of the big muscles beside my spine, and I have to stop what I am doing and let it relax and calm down. it comes on quick. Do you think I need some Cheese for my Whine???

Wondering about the whole getting older stuff, I keep irritating one of the big muscles beside my spine, and I have to stop what I am doing and let it relax and calm down. it comes on quick. Do you think I need some Cheese for my Whine???

I hear you. I am in my 5th decade on the rock but doing **** that is better left to people in their 3rd decade on the rock. Somedays I can feel it more than others. That's when I start questioning my life choices.

I've just finished work, it's been a busy week at the abattoir. One advantage of working at the place of disappearance is that the work never runs out between Sunday evening and Friday evening, and you never have to worry about losing your job because not many people want to do this work.

I'm off to eat a fresh steak with a good beer and laugh about Klaus Schwab and Bill Gates' insect dreams.

We went to Jakes FFA banquet this evening. He received several awards but the one that was really cool was the Star Farmer Award for our area. I guess teaching him how to grow weed wasn’t such a bad thing after all! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The American Star Farmer is awarded to the FFA member that demonstrates the top production agriculture supervised agricultural experience in the nation. The member must demonstrate outstanding achievement, active FFA participation and an exemplary scholastic record.

View attachment 152847
Congradulations

Our countertop is in, sinks installed, and the top half of the storage unit now sits securely atop the counter. Crown molding, kickplate, and hardware are yet to be installed.
IMG_7386.JPG

The plumber comes next Friday to install the toilet, the sink faucets, connect the sinks, install the free-standing tub, connect the tub water supply and all the faucet hardware, install all the shower controls, etc.

I've just finished work, it's been a busy week at the abattoir. One advantage of working at the place of disappearance is that the work never runs out between Sunday evening and Friday evening, and you never have to worry about losing your job because not many people want to do this work.

I'm off to eat a fresh steak with a good beer and laugh about Klaus Schwab and Bill Gates' insect dreams.
That's a slaughter house isn't it??

@Snowman, Thank you! I actually had an epiphany when I remembered that Walmart sells some aquarium supplies and they have tubing. I got an 8' thinner tube and a 6' one with some sort of suction device for cleaning out a fish tank. I will have to see if it actually sucks out water with the cannister attached. If it doesn't then I can remove the canister and try it. I will try the larger tube first and then the smaller one. I'm waiting for it to cool off a little bit before going back outside.

@teeceetx Oh wow! That looks beautiful!

I went to the post office and my CV axles are in. Box had both of them so it was heavy. I got winded carrying it to the truck. My brother had to help me get it moved into place. Then we went to Walmart for groceries and I stopped at the hardware store on the way home to grab a few more fittings. I'm going to gather them all together in a bin and make sure we have everything needed.

'bout to leave to go early vote to try to keep our constitutional sheriff in office. runoff... suspicious of the money behind the new guy.. who would want to oust a constitutional sheriff??? lol.... then dinner with hubby!

I bought two 5 gallon buckets and a large mop bucket with pour spouts on each end. Got this to siphon the water and it worked.
1716596436308.png

I filled all 3 buckets and my brother brought them in. I managed to flush both toiles with the mop bucket.
Tracking on my jet pump shows it made it from Jacksonville, FL to Jackson, MS. Hopefully it will make it here soon.

Glad that was all good, TxCatlady.
Lady L...you need some car games to play during those six hrs.
Nah, my mom will talk the whole time interrupting herself by reading road signs aloud then moving onto another topic without finishing what she was saying before reading the sign 😖

Latest posts

Back