What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sitting here wondering if I can find some sort of short potable water safe hose that I can put one end down in the cistern and then suck on the other end to get it filling a bucket. Would have to lift the cistern lid a bit and put something under to hold it up enough to put a tube in. I don't want something as large diameter as a garden hose, but I don't want it too small either.

Came up with a few sketches for plans for the pump system based on parts I already have. It's convoluted, but the existing system is convoluted too. Waiting to see if my friend has any feedback/thoughts on it. I also need to call the doctor's office to discuss insulin pump supply stuff with the NP to figure out what is best for Mom to get.
Might check RV supply - seems the lines from tank to sinks is smaller than a regular hose (1/2”?).

I think HR got their crap figured out and fixed all my stuff. At least what I found so far. We'll see if my badge works Tuesday.
Got home, changed and took the truck to Lowes and picked up what I need to repair the front porch. Gotta tear that apart and fix this weekend. Wet 2x8x16s weigh a ton.
Saw this while I was there. Very nice little display.
Ate supper and went to sit on the porch with a stogie and relax. Been a long hard, stressful week.

Attachments

• 20240524_171119.jpg
    20240524_171119.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
@Bacpacker didn’t come weedeat for me so I had to do it myself. I also got the rest of the peppers and beans in and the tomatoes 🍅. That was “fun.” Hubby had tilled it so as I was leveling out the patch, the pup was finding it fun to play cat and mouse with the rake- he’s the biggest doof! Also did two loads of laundry and washed about 8 sinks full of jars. 🫙. We have some friends who are moving and she had her extra jars set out for a yard sale so I got them. Only have some half gallons left to do. Then getting them in crates (rather than cardboard) and in the summer kitchen. Pulled borage off the dehydrator and got it jarred.
Cotton is flying- I think it’s beautiful (Hubby hates it) ☺️

Stonewall Compton from Burnsville, Ms lived in a two room house, walked everywhere he went and died a millionaire from picking up cotton that blew off of wagons on the roadside that no one else would stoop to get, He made up a few bales a year.

He had a Garden for most of his meals.

The only other thing he got was his veterans pension.

What a Friday busy day I had...
But all went well...........

And ...and ..and ...muffler fixed :p phew !!
Nice to have competent good friends
I dont have a ton ...but thank you very very much JC 😚

And the good news ...temperature wont go up 60f this week 🤩

Lets have a relaxing evening and night !!! 🥰

Got some more garden time in before lunch, plumbers came after lunch and husband had a good long list of random things, they were here till 5. A hydrant near the greenhouse now works, a spikot on one side of the house now works, and the septic hold was now found and a new lid is on it. The sewage line out to the drain field is now marked. This house was built in 1908, and it's been modified lots, so now we know. So neighbor had to come over and visit to find out why there were plumbers here, and why they were working in a big hole they dug. Went to the pharmacy to finally get husband's meds, on to the Kroger store for a few things, and to pick up two bell peppers the neighbor lady needed. Went to our local little farmers market and bought a few things...just baked goods and home canned stuff this time of year. Dropped the peppers off at the neighbors and visited a bit...I don't get to see her kids as much anymore since I'm not driving for the amish school. They had to show me their new kittens, and the new cards they made.

@Bacpacker didn’t come weedeat for me so I had to do it myself. I also got the rest of the peppers and beans in and the tomatoes 🍅. That was “fun.” Hubby had tilled it so as I was leveling out the patch, the pup was finding it fun to play cat and mouse with the rake- he’s the biggest doof! Also did two loads of laundry and washed about 8 sinks full of jars. 🫙. We have some friends who are moving and she had her extra jars set out for a yard sale so I got them. Only have some half gallons left to do. Then getting them in crates (rather than cardboard) and in the summer kitchen. Pulled borage off the dehydrator and got it jarred.
Cotton is flying- I think it’s beautiful (Hubby hates it) ☺️
What the heck is wrong with bacpacker??🤔😮 I'm gonna have to have a talk with him! I hope you didn't mess up your nail polish!! 🙄🫨💅

Hey I need some weedeatin done. Come on over Lady L. Only take an hour or 2

Glad you got the pay straightened out! That's always a pain. Funny though... once got a job transfer from upstate ny to la. New boss...

The first year my checks came with my first name, all proper when i hired on. But I go by my middle name. 6 months later in la everyone at corporate hq knew me by my middle name. My new bosses had to make everything official with the transfer. The paperwork went through with my middle name.

For 2 months i got double paychecks. One with my middle, the other my first! I told everyone right away. And everyone thought it was funny too! 🤣 By the second month the Cfo no longer found it funny!!! 😁 Small company, only 70 in la, only 30 at corp... still took a month to get it right. 🤣

I only deposited the checks with my first name so i didn't have to pay money back.

Last edited:
not having a good week, my cold got really bad and I spent yesterday in bed watching youtube mostly
my brother is being a butt too again, he insisted we go visit him anyway, despite me being sick. I had no voice to even yell at him...
I want to be home , not here. We still have till Tuesday
probably will go visit brother today ( it's a 2 hour drive)
People like him are the reason everything was shut down for covid ( well one of them anyway) . If you are sick and contagious, stay home!

Making a lady break one of her nails because of having to something you didn't do is a serious offence,, buddy you had better hope that doesn't happen or you had better have good excuse like death or getting run over by a train and four broken limbs.

At least have a good tube of super glue and a steady hand to fix it, best use a match stick or toothpick.

Daughter, SIL and His parents are in Destin, Fla for the weekend WOW bet there is a crowd there.

Had Great grand baby girl all day.

Sent sonny to the show about two hours ago waiting on the call that he is there.
There is so much involved in this show it is like two in one.
They will be having some rain it says but not like up here.

Going to get in the shower and get ready for the call that lets me go to bed and sleep.

Night all of you, stay safe and sleep well with the hand of GOD to protect you through the night!!

He has pulled me from the fire many times !!!! I always seem to try to jump back in!!!!

1716612730927.png

Fun day with my buddie.
We got down to onterio, I turned in my cans at the recycling place.
Got 8 bucks..whew hew!
Then we roll over to the chinese buffet..
Then to the chevy dealership..she looked at a truck her husband would like..so we got the tour of all the nobs and new gadgets. We took video n pics.
Then I looked at a new shiny Colorado..I drove it too..I was soooooooo tempted...
But..I gotta do research on it all..have all my stuff lined up before I get a new ride..
I'm going to need one ..my old truck n car wont last forever.
Good (ish??) News on my truck..
The rear differential is worn out. New one and labor will cost close to $800. I can do that..
They can repair it next week.
Everything else is good..
So me n my buddie went to Marshall's
I found a pair of 70 shorts for 16 bucks..she found a blouse for her trip back east.
Then Bimart ..n managed to get home b4 holiday traffic got to crazy.
Everyone with a truck n camper are heading up the mountain..driving fast, tailgating n passing like jerks.
Ughh...

Had a washer repair man come yesterday and he said "buy a new one and always buy a cheap Maytag or Whirlpool and run it til it dies. Stay away from front loaders and all the computer ones".

This morning I have a tree guy coming because the Directv guy says the tree has to be trimmed. Problem is, iit is over the pool. I told my husband to cut the tree when we were having a new liner put in 2 years ago. He was adamant and said noooo. Now he is paying premium price.

He is learning an expensive lesson.

Nope not cool at all. Still trying to get it all sorted out. Supposedly they are cutting me a check for the difference in pay for the month. Still no word on anything else. And with the holiday this weekend I'll be surprised to hear much else before next week. Just hope my badge works Tuesday
I've been thinking about your dilemma and it hit me, look at the check stub to see what the deductions are. I told the wife I was going to suggest it and she say's "Mind your own Business, no one want to hear it from you..." but I'm not good at listening. Back to looking a the check stub - Find out what was being deducted, this will help a lot in getting a "feel" for what to expect as income if the retirement had been real!

I know of families who had someone retire only to find out that they got way less than they were expecting, some couldn't afford the medical insurance forcing them to find a job... not cool... I know others who failed to consider that their social security/pension is taxable income.. I don't have links to anyone who is fully retired but I think about it....

No one openly talks about it but it seems that a thread on personal finances in retirement, including pre-retirement planning might be useful to some folks.

Working, not off today after all! I am off Monday (hopefully), the couple I clean for on Mondays has COVID AGAIN!! She is in the hospital and thankful to have her boosters!!🙄🙄🙄 Spraying vegetation killer on the front fenceline and a few other places when I get home. Lots of critter time! And of course since the heat index will be around 105°, I'll be taking my usual therapy break!!😉

There was a popup record / vinyl market in the next town, so myself and the boys went in; they got massive breakfasts (which I noticed had gone up in price) and I picked up a few groceries like milk and bread.
When we got back I put on my new 3 quid Pink Floyd live CD and cleaned out the larder and under stairs cupboard. I was given a lot of new storage containers with lids so I sorted my stuff and repacked and labelled the boxes. Now have a list of things I'm low on or have to use up. Had to throw out about a tenners worth of flour that had weevils and was out of date but other than that all is good.
About to watch the FA cup and write out some recipes I found in a digital magazine, and when the sun goes down will water the polytunnel.
I believe its a bank holiday over there? Have a good one everyone!

Woke up, snuggled with my bed buddy, worked out, took a shower, ate breakfast, and now I am just wasting time on the internet. After I get it mounted, I need to go out and zero a new optic and get in some range time. I have a pork loin brining right now that will eventually need to go in the smoker for chow. After that who knows. I am sure my roommate will decide for me.

I've been thinking about your dilemma and it hit me, look at the check stub to see what the deductions are. I told the wife I was going to suggest it and she say's "Mind your own Business, no one want to hear it from you..." but I'm not good at listening. Back to looking a the check stub - Find out what was being deducted, this will help a lot in getting a "feel" for what to expect as income if the retirement had been real!

I know of families who had someone retire only to find out that they got way less than they were expecting, some couldn't afford the medical insurance forcing them to find a job... not cool... I know others who failed to consider that their social security/pension is taxable income.. I don't have links to anyone who is fully retired but I think about it....

No one openly talks about it but it seems that a thread on personal finances in retirement, including pre-retirement planning might be useful to some folks.
Urban, you know my situation at work better than anyone. Never hesitate to make suggestions. I did a rough calculation, but need to set down with past pay stubs and compare in detail.
I have been doing quite a bit of planning for retirement, spreadsheets, even bought some software that evaluates taxes, pessimistic and optimistic returns, etc. Watching probly 10 different financial you tube channels going over Medicare, social security, 401k, iRA, you name it stuff. Learned a bunch from those, details of social security, IRA, 401k that I was unaware of. Wish I had started 5 years ago digging into all this.
I agree a thread on retirement prep would be awesome. We've got several on hear nearing it, and several others that are there already that could share what they've ran into

Urban, you know my situation at work better than anyone. Never hesitate to make suggestions. I did a rough calculation, but need to set down with past pay stubs and compare in detail.
I have been doing quite a bit of planning for retirement, spreadsheets, even bought some software that evaluates taxes, pessimistic and optimistic returns, etc. Watching probly 10 different financial you tube channels going over Medicare, social security, 401k, iRA, you name it stuff. Learned a bunch from those, details of social security, IRA, 401k that I was unaware of. Wish I had started 5 years ago digging into all this.
I agree a thread on retirement prep would be awesome. We've got several on here nearing it, and several others that are there already that could share what they've ran into

Back