What's for breakfast?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eggs with mushrooms, black olives & onions & bacon with coffee.
I am using dukes lite mayo these days.
I like Duke’s. I’ve never tried the lite. Is it still good? I’ve switched to Miracle Whipe because it’s lower in calories than regular Dukes.

This morning was banana/cassava pancakes. With "sides" of over easy eggs, leftover steak from last night, bacon (the steaks were wrapped in it), and a few leftover roasted Japanese sweet potatoes.

Take some bananas and cut into small chunks. Pan fry in oil of your choice, smashing them as you go along. Salt them as you fry. I like coconut oil, as long as you keep the frying temp on the lower side. I use a non-stick frying pan. When they are fried up into a smooshy paste, then fold in dry cassava flour at the rate of 1/4 cup per banana. You will think you'll never get that much dry flour folded in, but if you are persistent in folding, folding, folding - maybe adding a little more oil if absolutely needed - you'll get everything to a nice smooth paste. Which you flatten out and continue frying (both sides) into a nicely browned pancake. These pancakes will be thinner and stouter than the typical pancake made out of a flour mix. Since it takes longer to make one of these pancakes than a regular pancake, make them large - filling the frying pan. No butter or syrup needed, just dive right into after it exits the frying pan. A knife may be needed to cut it if you fry it really dark.

I don't know how other flours would do. I assume they'd be fine. But my daughter taught me how to cook these, and she uses cassava flour. For what reason, I don't know. Could be that she tries to keep her gluten intake as low as possible as a general rule. Or maybe because being a tropical plant, it is common in Hawaii where she lives. Cassava is high in carbs.

My favorite breakfast... I brown my hashbrowns then add fresh oregano, bell pepper, onion and garlic, cook another 4min... just enough to soften the onion yummy.

food brkfst 26jula.JPG

Last edited:
I have made this a couple of times, and it is a big hit in our house. Takes a little time but well worth it.

Latest posts

Back