What's new where you live?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this "crisis" is mostly BS. Sure, a few people have gotten sick and fewer still have died, with an average age of 80 years old. And all with preexisting health issues. Last year over 30,000 Americans died from the common flu, and we didn't destroy our economy over that. I trust very little that comes from the so called "experts" and even less from the government.
Bottom line is that we must all do what WE think is right for our own family's health and our own situation.
Let’s revisit these numbers in three months. It does suck that this will put us in a bad recession or worse. Never thought I would see this drastic of a reaction in my lifetime to anything either. I have been really careful about stopping life off the property for about ten days now. All I’m sure of is it’s going to be a long summer.

Just going off the government's own numbers Rellgar. As of this morning there was 19,624 Americans infected with the China flu, with less than 15% requiring hospitalization. Of the 19,000+ infected only 260 deaths have been reported,
People don't just keel over immediately. Average time from onset until death is 18.5 days. 18 days ago there were 103 confirmed cases in the US.

Just going off the government's own numbers Rellgar. As of this morning there was 19,624 Americans infected with the China flu, with less than 15% requiring hospitalization. Of the 19,000+ infected only 260 deaths have been reported, most over 80 years old with preexisting conditions such as heart disease, emphysema, diabetes etc. Again, I don't see where we should be trashing our economy over this.
Nope, I don't pretend to be an "expert" at anything, but I do have an understanding of how things work. I was once FEMA certified in crisis management. While working overseas I was in charge of a morgue and transporting and stockpiling the dead during mass casualties. I also worked with WHO and other scientists during disasters. None of which qualifies me as an expert. I'm just not seeing where we should be destroying our economy over this yet.
I'm guessing that in a few weeks this crisis will be over and we'll return to close to what we consider as normal.
I also predict that there will be a lot more preppers as a result of this.
I only hope you’re right about this burning off and being able to go back to normal before long. Personally I think it will be a very long time for the whole worlds economy to recover from this.

I only hope you’re right about this burning off and being able to go back to normal before long. Personally I think it will be a very long time for the whole worlds economy to recover from this.
Let's forget for a moment whether this is a true health crisis or not, can we recover from this economically? President Bernie Sanders, oops Trump and the experts are telling everyone to stay home and not go to work (unprecedented). They say the government will take care of everything by spending, at this time, $2,000,000,000,000 (2 trillon) on this crisis, by borrowing of course (from China?). We better hope that this thing is over within a few more weeks because I don't see us recovering economically for generations if it doesn't.

Italy didn't take it seriously at first either.
K1HeTvH.png

Information not adding up. That’s exactly right! At first we were told mask don’t work, so stop buying them, so that healthcare workers could have them. There was a news article showing members of the WHO at a meeting about the virus, wearing loop mask. We are now told at work we have to wear loop mask ( but they don’t work ... remember?)
There is no reason to stockpile food and supplies. Remember that too ( oozing with sarcasm).

exactly.ems came out to a neighbors home.their wearing mask.why are they wearing them.if the mask don't work?

There's another aspect of this that people like @Arcticdude are not considering. The low death rate in the US is WITH all the measures we have in place. If we let the situation get out of hand with very high infection rates all at the same time, and the hospitals were overwhelmed, the death rates would go much higher, percentage-wise, not just numbers-wise. The question is not whether 260 deaths justifies this. The question is about the potential, which we have seen from other countries, for it to be SO much worse. Unfortunately, (or in this case, most likely, FORTUNATELY), the question "what would have happened?" can never be accurately answered. There will always be those who say we overreacted. I don't think I'll ever be sure. But seeing what the results can be makes me lean towards the belief that it is not entirely an overreaction.

I hope you were among the mask wearers....
At this point I just don't get within 6 feet of other people. And I wash or sanitize my hands, phone, keys, and other surfaces.

Let's forget for a moment whether this is a true health crisis or not, can we recover from this economically? President Bernie Sanders, oops Trump and the experts are telling everyone to stay home and not go to work (unprecedented). They say the government will take care of everything by spending, at this time, $2,000,000,000,000 (2 trillon) on this crisis, by borrowing of course (from China?). We better hope that this thing is over within a few more weeks because I don't see us recovering economically for generations if it doesn't.
I don’t even think they are borrowing or printing money any more but just adding zeros to the computer now.... of course if that’s the case then it just makes the dollar weaker overall.

There's another aspect of this that people like @Arcticdude are not considering. The low death rate in the US is WITH all the measures we have in place. If we let the situation get out of hand with very high infection rates all at the same time, and the hospitals were overwhelmed, the death rates would go much higher, percentage-wise, not just numbers-wise. The question is not whether 260 deaths justifies this. The question is about the potential, which we have seen from other countries, for it to be SO much worse. Unfortunately, (or in this case, most likely, FORTUNATELY), the question "what would have happened?" can never be accurately answered. There will always be those who say we overreacted. I don't think I'll ever be sure. But seeing what the results can be makes me lean towards the belief that it is not entirely an overreaction.

At this point I just don't get within 6 feet of other people. And I wash or sanitize my hands, phone, keys, and other surfaces.
I think we are at the point of needing a mask now while out. It’s hot, uncomfortable and not very stylish, but I really don’t want to end up in a hospital anytime soon. As it gets hotter the gloves and masks are going to be even less fun....

We are in a similar position here. The only thing that concerns me is if it really does come down to rampant crime is having to sleep. We have 4 adults on the property here and that helps with taking turns for guard duty but my biggest weakness is the lack of a group setting. I think about twelve people would be the ideal group size. All with unique skills and not too big to have a problem feeding everyone. In a perfect world....

We have a group a little bigger than that Brent, but so far everyone is staying home. A few are still working from home. If things go south as far as crime goes they will all come here pronto. Part of me wants them here, part of me dreads civil unrest getting out of control. Even with around a dozen adults, bad things can happen.

My husband thinks that when the stores run out of food that is when the riots will start in the super markets and then spill out into the streets. Especially in some of the cities. We shall see.

I would have to agree with your husband. Starving people are dangerous. People with starving children are the most dangerous. Just my humble opinion...

When the weather begins to warm up and if shortages continue I expect a certain couple of sections of British society in cities to start looting, robbing, attacking within 3 days IF the shortages continue. I expect a run on looting of beer, wide screen TVs and Nike trainers.

When the weather begins to warm up and if shortages continue I expect a certain couple of sections of British society in cities to start looting, robbing, attacking within 3 days IF the shortages continue. I expect a run on looting of beer, wide screen TVs and Nike trainers.

OMG I had to laugh Bill. You sound exactly like my husband. He says " People need new tv's to update on the virus. He thinks every few years you need a good excuse to update the equipment ". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

it's getting chitty here,,,,more and more places are closing up,,,,and open carry is slowly becoming the norm
I’ve been thinking about open carry here too. In normal times I think it draws unwanted attention but now it might serve as warning.

I have never liked open carry but as things are now,,,,I can understand why people are do it
Even with my regular 9mm that I would carry open I would still ccw a little 380 that I have. It goes everywhere with me, but it may be a good idea to carry something a little larger in the coming weeks.

I do concealed carry. I don't wan't somebody desperate for a firearm to sneak up and smack me along side the head. I will depend on my ability and the surprise factor. I call it the home court advantage.

Latest posts

Back