When the gales of November came early....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband is from Michigan! I'm always amazed how wild the lake water can get!
We did the Circle tour around Lake Superior a few years back in October. Beautiful colors until we left Minnesota, started snowing when we went into Canada. At the northern most point of the lake at Nippagon we stated in an old Inn. Woke up to a foot of snow. Drove all day in it and found out later that Canada has decided to contract the snow removal that year. Contract didn't start for 2 weeks. We had a great time.
I highly recommend that trip to anyone, but take plenty of food with you when doing the Canadian part. There isn't much of anything between towns which are spread way out on the north shore. But it is BEAUTIFUL

We did the Circle tour around Lake Superior a few years back in October. Beautiful colors until we left Minnesota, started snowing when we went into Canada. At the northern most point of the lake at Nippagon we stated in an old Inn. Woke up to a foot of snow. Drove all day in it and found out later that Canada has decided to contract the snow removal that year. Contract didn't start for 2 weeks. We had a great time.
I highly recommend that trip to anyone, but take plenty of food with you when doing the Canadian part. There isn't much of anything between towns which are spread way out on the north shore. But it is BEAUTIFUL
What a memorable trip that must have been!!!

Earlier this week we were in Grand Marais, MN on the shores of Lake Superior. We took a three-day vacation there since the weather has been exceptionally nice for November. We got home just in time. There is a gale warning for today with waves 12 to 17 feet occasionally to 21 feet building to 15 to 20 feet occasionally to 25 feet.

If you're on Fakebook, you can see some of our photos and videos from the trip at the link below.
I Shore Am Happy/Grand Marais/Northshore Getaway November 2021

Grand Marais was a nice little town. We spent the night there before heading into Canada. Our favorite place was just south of there at Split Rock Light House. Fantastic views of the lake and some good history as well.
Splitrock Lighthouse is one of our favorite places to visit, too.
1.jpg
2.jpg

I was too small to know anything about the Edmund Fitzgerald, but the song caused me to be curious about it. That song is maybe the greatest "story song" in American pop music history, and I get goosebumps sometimes when I hear it. Such a fabulous description of the events, you can almost hear the wind and feel the spray...

Last edited:
Splitrock Lighthouse is one of our favorite places to visit, too.
View attachment 75297View attachment 75298
The Princess and I plan on one road trip to all of the places where I lived growing up. Duluth is on that list. We did the drive to 5he border when I was in 6th grade. Gooseberry Falls was one of our favorites. The visit wouldn't be complete with seeing the lift bridge where we went for ice cream regularly.

Ben

I was too small to know anything about the Edmund Fitzgerald, but the song caused me to be curious about it. That song is maybe the greatest "story song" in American pop music history, and I get goosebumps sometimes when I hear it. Such a fabulous description of the events, you can almost hear the wind and feel the spray...
The voice, the story, it's captivating!!

The Princess and I plan on one road trip to all of the places where I lived growing up. Duluth is on that list. We did the drive to 5he border when I was in 6th grade. Gooseberry Falls was one of our favorites. The visit wouldn't be complete with seeing the lift bridge where we went for ice cream regularly.

Ben
Gooseberry Falls is one of our favorite places to visit on the Northshore, too.
1636681322237.png

Latest posts

Back