When things go really good

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We lost our home to a forest fire and I was busy 18 hours a day building another one before winter. My buddy stops buy n wants to go moose hunting. My beautiful wife finally encourages me enough to take a couple hours off. I'm figuring we have to eat so it has value. And my family could probably use a dose of me with a better frame of mind.
It 4 pm so why not. We jump on our 4 wheelers n head out to the bush. Hour later were at my honey hole. We park the wheelers n start to still hunt our way in. We don't go but 55 yards there's a nice mid forty bull laying in his bed watching us. 55 yards away. It's his turn to shoot first. The big bull never got out of bed.
We get the wheelers n my meat trailer n get to processing. Really nice when you can drive right up to them. Beautiful blue sky with sunshine. Bugs have froze out.
We were tapping a cold one enjoying our harvest while with 450 pounds of meat for our families by 8 pm.
Feeding very satisfied and blessed

Yeah we lost our home but the Good Lord took care of us.
It was a convenient hunt for sure.
To me just going out is the best. Harvesting game is topping on the cake.
But calling in a 58" non typical bull that was huge , I est 1400 pounds for our son to harvest his first moose, that's a memorable moment

The forest fires have hit your area a bit hard these past few years. Out my way, I can see signs of them that predate my decade plus time in Alaska. I know it would be devastating to lose a home to wildfires knowing that rebuilding is all out of hide since we can’t insure.

Great hunting story. As I am starting to get a bit older, I am ready for a hunt like that!

We were on the moose roadkill list for 25 years. Sure glad we got a moose a year from that opportunity also.

I’ve not signed up for that with the excuse that I am too busy and the distances in my area are too far. Lame, I know. Those on the list in the valley have it made.

Latest posts

Back