When you were not prepared

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I came across this post on a prepping group, Bug-In Prepping. It made me wonder what was the toughest situation I was in because I was not prepared?

You are all always well prepared, aren't you? You would never find yourself in the bind this woman was in? I wasn't always prepared, but each situation has led me to being better prepared.

I'll share this story that was posted, then my own in another post.

Bug-In Prepping
·
Further to the post anonymous made about being prepared - would like to share a SHTF scenerio that happened to me just this week.

Driving though the desert in western Arizona on old Route 66, coming out of Oatman, heading towards Kingman, a 25 mile route of narrow old pavement with pretty much nothing but some old mines, cactus and sand, I got a flat. As I was in our fancy schmancy newish car all I had for a spare was some stupid uninflated, space saving tire. and from a previous flat ( also the right front), already knew that I had no idea how to hook the pump for inflating that tire up to the battery.

Temperatures were 110F, had minimal water with me (stupid twist of fate), and no food, and was on a road that mostly had no cell phone service.

On the plus side, this happened right across the road from the one lone rest area - an old gas station that no longer had gas, air, service, or anything else - but did have water for sale, a shady area for sitting and a port-a-potty along with intermittent cell phone service. Can you imagine having to sit in a car on the side of the road in that sun and heat for 4 hours without much water?!?!?!

it was a FOUR HOUR wait for the tow truck. Which took me to a tire repair place by 4 pm, too late to get in the special sized tire I needed and that was going to run me $500!! Yes, you read that right - $500 to buy, install, plus tax on one single tire.

And in keeping with anonymous's post, had both credit card with enough space on it, PLUS, if necessary, enough cash, to pay for said tire!

One of the guys at the tire place was kind enough to run me down to a Motel 6 about a mile away for a room and the first food I'd had since that morning's breakfast!

The next morning, put my duffle on my back, a hat on my head, and took my 70 year old body for a walk back to the shop, uphill all the way, in not quite 90 F temps. yes I rested frequently, although there was no shade, at least let my pulse and blood pressure come down a bit before beginning the next few hundred feet. Amazingly took me about 1/2 an hour to make the trip.

Another note, did have a 21W solar panel battery charger with me. When I plugged in my phone it was at 68%, when the tow truck finally arrived nearly 4 hours later, it was only up to 81%. yes, I had made a few calls during that time, but never unplugged the panel. So a larger folding panel is in order for travel. As well as a reliable air pump and always MORE WATER!

Been caught with my knickers down a time or two :( At that moment, it's time to "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome" Afterwards, it's time to execute the PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act): which is is an iterative, four-stage approach for continually improving processes, products or services, and for resolving problems. It involves systematically testing possible solutions, assessing the results, and implementing the ones that have shown to work. It is based on the scientific method of problem-solving and was popularized by Dr W. Edwards Deming, who is considered by many to be the father of modern quality control.

The PDCA Cycle provides a simple and effective approach for solving problems and managing change. It enables businesses to develop hypotheses about what needs to change, test these hypotheses in a continuous feedback loop, and gain valuable learning and knowledge. It promotes testing improvements on a small scale before updating company-wide procedures and work methods. The PDCA cycle consists of four components:

Plan – Identify the problem, collect relevant data, and understand the problem's root cause, develop hypotheses about what the issues may be, and decide which one to test.

Do – Develop and implement a solution; decide upon a measurement to gauge its effectiveness, test the potential solution, and measure the results.

Check – Confirm the results through before-and-after data comparison. Study the result, measure effectiveness, and decide whether the hypothesis is supported or not.

Act – Document the results, inform others about process changes, and make recommendations for the future PDCA cycles. If the solution was successful, implement it. If not, tackle the next problem and repeat the PDCA cycle again.

My BIL worked at a Volkswagen shop near Seattle. One day a flatbed truck with a VW bus on it came in.
The family in the bus had broken down while taking a shortcut in BC Canada from Alaska.
They had been stranded for 4 days with very little to survive on. Finally a car came by and took the woman and baby into the next town. They told the guy there was a flatbed truck about 2 hours behind them so he waited. Sure enough the truck stopped and loaded him and the bus and took him all the was to Seattle.
They were getting pretty desperate by the time they were rescued.
When I drove from Anchorage to Seattle in the mid 70s I made sure we had enough survival supplies to last a week. It was still an adventure.
Break downs, flat tires, long distances between civilization. It was over 900 miles of dirt roads and took us 5 days almost nonstop to make the trip.
I still hate that BIL and his cat. He's an ex and the cat died years ago but my feeling for them is still the same.

Last edited:
My BIL worked at a Volkswagen shop near Seattle. One day a flatbed truck with a VW bus on it came in.
The family in the bus had broken down while taking a shortcut in BC Canada from Alaska.
They had been stranded for 4 days with very little to survive on. Finally a car came by and took the woman and baby into the next town. They told the guy there was a flatbed truck about 2 hours behind them so he waited. Sure enough the truck stopped and loaded him and the bus and took him all the was to Seattle.
They were getting pretty desperate by the time they were rescued.
When I drove from Anchorage to Seattle in the mid 70s I made sure we had enough survival supplies to last a week. It was still an adventure.
Break downs, flat tires, long distances between civilization. It was over 900 miles of dirt roads and took us 5 day to make the trip.
I still hate that BIL and his cat. He's an ex and the cat died years ago but my feeling for them is still the same.
Isn't that highway pretty notorious for being difficult? I think a family from my hometown went through a set of tires on that road.

Isn't that highway pretty notorious for being difficult? I think a family from my hometown went through a set of tires on that road.
I took that road the first time in 1959. Then the prudent driver took 4 spare tires. In 1970 it was much improved but still a hazard. Today it is much improved but the frost heave means that the road is constantly under construction.

A bit of trivia, that road is maintained by the United States to provide access to Alaska. It was built by America during WWII as a military access road.

It made me wonder what was the toughest situation I was in because I was not prepared?
This is the first time I am talking about this on the internet...

I was abducted in New Orleans as fodder for human trafficking.

When I was barely 18 years old, I was alone at a bus stop across the street from Congo Square on North Rampart Street. A gang of thugs emerged from the wooded area of the Square and as they were crossing the street to where I was, they were hollering and taunting me what they intended to do to me... Panic-stricken, I looked around for an alley to run to, to hide... Behind me was a closed restaurant/bar. The commotion that the thugs were making aroused the curiosity of someone inside, who pulled back the curtains and saw what was about to go down.

A man opened the door and motioned for me to hurry inside. I had no idea that I had just stepped into the lair of an underworld figure who was hated and feared by his victims, and many of his mob cohorts and competitors because of his cruelty and lack of a human soul...

Long story short, many months later, I was miraculously rescued. But I was changed forever...for the better, I think. When I was first rescued, I was fragile, emotionally, physically, and mentally...but not spiritually. Slowly, I regained my mind and heart, but I still wear the scars today...

It was one of the experiences that turned me into the Survivor that I am now.

Last edited:
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I'm very pleased that you made it back from that experience Grizz. I hope that a few went to jail for that.

No, because I was too scared to participate in the FBI witness protection program in exchange for testifying for what I went through and for the many crimes I witnessed. Looking back, I guess I should have because I ended up living as a fugitive for the following four years until the animal died.

when wasn't I prepared? I've been prepared most of my life in one form or another, having lived what might be called an alternative lifestyle I was always prepared for most eventualities, I spent a lot of time unemployed or working for myself which is why i'm okay being alone, I prefer it that way.

This is the first time I am talking about this on the internet...

I was abducted in New Orleans as fodder for human trafficking.

When I was barely 18 years old, I was alone at a bus stop across the street from Congo Square on North Rampart Street. A gang of thugs emerged from the wooded area of the Square and as they were crossing the street to where I was, they were hollering and taunting me what they intended to do to me... Panic-stricken, I looked around for an alley to run to, to hide... Behind me was a closed restaurant/bar. The commotion that the thugs were making aroused the curiosity of someone inside, who pulled back the curtains and saw what was about to go down.

A man opened the door and motioned for me to hurry inside. I had no idea that I had just stepped into the lair of an underworld figure who was hated and feared by his victims, and many of his mob cohorts and competitors because of his cruelty and lack of a human soul...

Long story short, many months later, I was miraculously rescued. But I was changed forever...for the better, I think. When I was first rescued, I was fragile, emotionally, physically, and mentally...but not spiritually. Slowly, I regained my mind and heart, but I still wear the scars today...

It was one of the experiences that turned me into the Survivor that I am now.

That is an absolutely incredible story!

but is it true? I wonder if such a thing happened someone would put it out in public for everyone to see. just my personal opinion.
I don't think I would.

First off, holy cow Grizz. Glad you made it out of that situation. Even happier that you made it out stronger.

My unprepared story is perhaps a bit different and I will keep it brief. When I was a patrol officer and still thoroughly invincible. While on night shift I responded to a distress call where a male was assaulting a female officer. I arrived and the male fled. I chased him deep into a wooded area radioing out location and direction of travel. I eventually caught them male and tackled him. The fight was on. I expected to overpower and subdue him as I had done 100's and 100's of times. Only this guy was high on a cocktail of drugs. When it was done I had been stabbed in the abdomen a couple time, broke most of the fingers on my left hand, and sprained my ankle. Fortunately I had also fractured the man's skull (with my now broken hand), broke a few of his bones, and beat him into unconsciousness. Once I got him handcuffed I sat against a tree and tried calling out on my radio, but it had been rendered useless either in the chase or in the fight. I sat there a very long time applying pressure to my stab wounds waiting for help. That's a lot of time to think about how I might not be going home. I returned to duty a lot less invincible and much more compliant with proper police tactics.

but is it true? I wonder if such a thing happened someone would put it out in public for everyone to see. just my personal opinion.
I don't think I would.
I thought about this when I started this thread. There will be people who have had some experiences that they will never share for various reasons. Some people will never have had any unprepared moments, and some of us will have had a few that we have learned from. I have something that I will not share.

This is not really all that scary now, several decades later, but I learned a few things that have helped me get through life better.

I had just moved from small town to a BIG city one summer. I had driven many miles in my life--from South Dakota through Denver to Tucson and San Diego and back. It was not like I had never driven in a city.

I was in college, living in a dormitory and there was a break between classes. I stayed and didn't go home, but one of my classmates flew home. She asked me to pick her up at the airport when she got back, in her car. Well, I asked someone about driving to the airport. It should have been really easy, but close to an hour away. Someone, a native of the city, told me that it is quicker to go through the city on a particular highway than it was to take the freeway. First and most important mistake. This was the early 70's so no cell phones, no google maps and an area that was difficult to navigate through. You could get on roads and not be able to get off or turn around for miles.

I ended up driving around and essentially getting lost, trying to cross a river to get to the airport. Big cities have areas that are not the best to drive through, especially when you are a white girl driving with out of state plates. I drove around and kept asking for directions. Turning around when I was going the wrong way was not a quick and easy fix. I FINALLY got on the road, but then it had a toll booth. That was a first for me. I had checks, but no change or cash. I plead my case and the toll booth operator had mercy on me and let me through for free. I have no memory of being late to the airport or the rest of that journey, but I did learn a few things. We definitely took the freeway home and I don't think I EVER took the suggested road across the river again in my 5 years in the city.

This could have been much worse, but I learned a lot from following someone's half baked suggestion.

-Whenever I have turned around since, I turn left to begin my turn around. Turning right makes traffic going two directions to cross. Not good.
-I always have some change in my ashtray now. I also have cash or a way to pay for something if needed.
-I don't take someone's half baked suggestions of which way is "best," if I have no idea about where I am going. A girl fresh off the farm should NEVER be given such poor directions. I should have taken the freeway there, even if it was a couple miles further. No dangerous areas, no silly side streets, no construction zones and clear directions.
-When someone gives me an address, such as 1600 Broadway, I always ask many questions. I have had people tell me an address and just expect me to figure out the rest. What floor? Suite number? Where to park? Hints, tips? Many people think that a street address to a big building in the downtown of a large city is sufficient information to locate them. Maybe now, with google maps, mapquest and Wayz, but it hasn't always been.
-And, I always make sure I have adequate gasoline in the vehicle. I have never run out of gas, but if a person is not paying attention, you sure could, especially if you are driving someone else's vehicle.

Last edited:
I don't think I would.
Sharing that story is an incredibly brave act and not something shared except with people you feel extremely close to. A friend of mine shared her story after 25 years of friendship. This could not have been easy. Grizz has never given me any reason to doubt her. Lonewolf, I find your post rather insensitive.

not insensitive, its a matter of OPSEC, don't give out too much personal info, and that is too personal.
if you knew me better you would know I don't trust people and I always suspect anything i'm told.

. But looking back I cannot pick out a bad situation that I thought I would not make it through.

For myself there have been many that I did not think that I would survive. But the one that stands way in front of all others was down on the Alaska Peninsula, and the huge Alaska Coastal Brown Bear on top of me. I have never been more terrified, or more sure of a horrible death. Never prayed more intensely. Now decades later, I still weep recalling that event.

I don't think I would.

It happened 45 years ago, and during all these years, I could not bear to think about it much less talk much about it... Those who know me have urged to come out with the story in a book, which could serve as a teaching moment for others. Although there are many lessons in that story that others can benefit from, I don't know if I could do it.

Now that nearly a half-century has gone by, I think I should have healed enough to help others, maybe. I don't know. It is not easy to write about. That post was difficult enough; how could I write a whole book?

Every time I see in the news, drawn-out interviews of abducted women (there are too many!), I look intently for tidbits of insight on their coping mechanisms, how they were able to survive their ordeals with their minds mostly intact...and sometimes I recognize myself and my thought processes in those stories. But, each time I read the news about stuff like this, I automatically go into a dark, funky place in my soul and linger there too long for comfort. So that tells me I might not be ready to come out with the whole story...if ever.

not insensitive, its a matter of OPSEC, don't give out too much personal info, and that is too personal.
if you knew me better you would know I don't trust people and I always suspect anything i'm told.

OPSEC????? No one will ever find a single thing in any of my posts on the entire internet that compromises my OPSEC. I don't know how on earth you managed to come up with that idea. The perp has been dead for 41 years, I have not lived in New Orleans for decades, etc, etc. ad nauseum. Not enough details were given to bite me today or even later.

And yes, it was extremely personal, but there is a reason why so many abducted women are willing to share their story with the news media. Part of it is cathartic, another part is a warning beacon to other women. And a large part of it has something to do with triumph over evil.

I'm really glad you triumphed over evil, Grizzley. I can't even imagine. You are a strong lady

PTSD is a long, long-lasting thing, though.

Although I have not ever had professional counseling (but would have gladly welcomed it at the time), I must say that staying strong spiritually was my saving grace through this and other events during my life. I trust my spiritual connection more than any physical prep I could ever amass. I learned--more than once--that sometimes you may be caught by unforeseen occurrences, and be away from every prep you ever owned.

What do you do when you find that you are without any of the props you relied on to keep you standing physically, mentally, and spiritually upright? Once upon a time, I relied heavily (almost exclusively) on knowledge, skills, and physical preps to get me through this disaster or that disaster. All good and well, but not as valuable as the answer to the bolded question.

The answer to that question could be referred to as "advanced prepping." I encourage everyone to explore this possibility.

Grizz, I'm glad that you came out of that awful situation. While it's hard to find any silver lining in a cloud that onerous, you seem to have your head screwed on pretty straight about it. I can't even imagine what you've gone through to get to that point. But I'm grateful you shared your story and your thoughts about it.

Grizz, I'm glad that you came out of that awful situation. While it's hard to find any silver lining in a cloud that onerous, you seem to have your head screwed on pretty straight about it. I can't even imagine what you've gone through to get to that point. But I'm grateful you shared your story and your thoughts about it.

I definitely hesitated before hitting the send button...but it will be worth it even if only one person benefits from the "advanced survival" lessons that I brought out in my last post.

If we are ever caught face-to-face with our worst nightmares, we may find that we cannot rely on our own strength to keep from going mad or very, very disturbed. Many successful survivors of unspeakable horrors were also spiritually connected. A study of survivors of the Holocaust is quite revealing and underscores everything I learned about staying strong.

I definitely hesitated before hitting the send button...but it will be worth it even if only one person benefits from the "advanced survival" lessons that I brought out in my last post.

If we are ever caught face-to-face with our worst nightmares, we may find that we cannot rely on our own strength to keep from going mad or very, very disturbed. Many successful survivors of unspeakable horrors were also spiritually connected. A study of survivors of the Holocaust is quite revealing and underscores everything I learned about staying strong.
Grizzleyette, I keep coming back to your story. Thank you for having the strength and courage to share your story. There was a time in my life when I read all the books I could find about people who had been abducted and survived. They are almost all women. It does take time to heal and process from these kinds of things. I wish you the best in life.

A strong mind and spirit are the best preps you can make.

And those who don't think they have a "strong mind" (I certainly didn't!), I can highly recommend these books to develop a Survivor Personality.

1) The Obstacle is the Way, by Ryan Holiday. (more about that and other goodies here: https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/10-must-have-survival-books.6296/#post-175083)

2) Last but not least, The Bible, if you are spiritually inclined...or not. I like the one here: www.jw.org, and also enjoy comparing translations in https://biblehub.com .

Last edited:
I don't think I would.

i will say this i have known and interacted with grizzgal for 13 years now...yep i went back and counted...and not once in 1,000's of posts has she ever given pause to not being truthful.

there are several on here that have known each other pretty well for a decade or better as well.

Latest posts

Back