Who else wants to confess that they can sew?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When I was 9 years old, my mom was dying of cancer. Her 7 sisters took me to their houses, and each one taught me something I knew nothing about. One aunt (Aunt Mildred) taught me how to cook, one aunt (Aunt Elaine) taught me how to cook lemon Meringue pies, and another aunt (Aunt Lois) taught me how to sew. My mom soon died but with my new homemaking abilities, I was much better off and thank them from my heart.

I am sorry for your loss havasu. I lost my Mom to cancer when I was in my 30s and it was still tough then. :(

I too can sew :)

4 girls in dresses.jpg
Some outfits I made for the American Girl dolls and others. I sew ALOT. - Angie

My grandma thought me how to crochet when I was a kid. She had all the stuff and could do needlepoint too. I never caught on to the needlepoint....

My wife is , and has been for many years, an accomplished seamstress..
She can alter any clothing, and make any clothing.

She did teach me a little, nough to patch up some things.

I look at it as a great tool , some day when SHTF... may come in handy.

Never know when I might need to stitch up somebody.

Just sayin.

Jim

Learned to sew on mom's Singer treadle sewing machine in my early teens. Knowing how has come in handy at times. :)

My mother thought that all guys needed to know how to sew, cook and do laundry. She was so right. When I was 14, I broke my foot and was laid up for 4 weeks. I was so bored that I learned to embroider. Have not done it since, but I probably could.

This isn't sewing but Rusty reminded me when he talked about his mom. Mine made us doing cleaning,laundry, make beds...all that. In boot camp in the navy I made money for dopey guys that couldn't iron their clothes or make their beds....... Thanks Mom...

My Mom's mother passed when she was very young, so she was intent on making sure my siblings and I were very self-sufficient. I had to learn how to make repairs and sew an apron, sweat pants, a shirt and a vest before she let me move on from sewing lessons. I have not made anything since, but I repair things from time to time.

She sounds like a great Mom. She sure would have gone over well as a teacher in these days or when SHTF. I have one daughter that sews a lot, and one that cross stitched but claims she cannot sew on a button. So she married a fellow that can sew, build houses, etc.

That's neat about knowing enough to take care of yourself due to Mom. (and make some money also.)
My mom taught me a lot through making me do things for myself. But it was my Grandma that was the biggest influence in my life. She was the best person I've ever known in my life and was truly wise and a wonderful teacher that was always willing to share her love and wisdom. I really miss her a lot......

5C4DD471-D300-4921-ACC7-D34390C9785F.jpeg
F689DF07-6759-4C26-B3F5-596806C8FB2D.jpeg
I can sew but not very skilled. I can see pajama pants, scrub pants and tops, basically anything not too complex and no buttons or zippers.
My passion is knitting and crochet. Blankets, scarves, baby cocoons, mermaid tail snuggles, hats, baby sweaters, booties, dishcloths, kitchen scrubbies. I’m particularly proud of this one.

I can sew as well as I weld, in other words it's not pretty but I can make two pieces of cloth stick together. :D:D:D

Latest posts

Back