Why Russia will pick the Sunday after Thanksgiving for an EMP

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave V

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Since we're talking about an EMP occurring while you're in a grocery store, (my kind of place since I own one!)
we had a V-Talk (think Ted Talk for preppers) back in 2010 that analyzed when and where Russia would likely drop a series of high altitude nukes that would completely wipe out our electrical grid and eventually lead to a full scale invasion months later with virtually no resistance from what remained of our weakened and starving population.
Of course, we're all still here, but the talk so resonated with attendees that to this day, our facility is heavily occupied on the Sunday after Thanksgiving each year particularly since the war in Ukraine started!
We now have an evening of "V-Talks" yearly!)

The talk was "creatively called: "Why Russia will pick the Sunday after Thanksgiving for an EMP."
The updated gist is this:
In the United States, the busiest travel days for air travel are usually holidays and holiday weekends.
The busiest travel day of the year is often the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
The busiest times for US flights are mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
For example, in 2023, the Sunday after Thanksgiving drew the largest crowds on record with an estimated 2.9 million passengers in the air!
AAA forecasted that 55.4 million Americans would travel at least 50 miles from home between Wednesday and the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Roads are likely to be the most clogged on that Wednesday and Sunday.
In addition, weather could snarl air and road traffic.
A storm system was expected to move from the southern Plains to the Northeast on Tuesday and Wednesday,
bringing severe thunderstorms, gusty wind and possible snow.

So think about it...
It's the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Maybe sometime before noon, when millions of Americans are in Church, possible miles away from their homes.
At this same hour, a HUGE number of US citizens are far from their homes and returning from their Thanksgiving Holiday.
As many as 50 million are driving on crowded highways
Another couple million are in the air or waiting at airports.
THIS IS THE TIME AND DAY THEY MIGHT LIKELY CHOOSE.
On detonation, every airplane would likely drop from the sky...all would perish.
Those in the airports would eventually run out of food and then perhaps turn on each other.
There would be no electricity and everything electricity enables:
No cellular communication,
No HVAC,
No pumped water,
No gas pumps,
No GPS, and lots more.
Cities would quickly run out of food with no way to replenish groceries and restaurants
(which would have no electricity anyway!)
People away from home might freeze if there were snow storms.
Most vehicles returning from Thanksgiving would be permanently stalled and the traffic would grind to a halt.
Even if you had an older car that happened to work, you'd be trapped along with thousands.
On an Interstate highway, possibly far from any food and possibly freezing, there would be chaos and eventally the strongest might take from the weakest.
Those in Church at the time might be able to walk home unless they were too feeble.
Then probably just minutes later,
hundreds of additional nukes would vaporize many U.S. cities
and throw trillions of tons of radioactive dust into the atmosphere.
Anyone not taken out by the direct blasts would be faced with lethal radioactive fallout if not sufficiently sheltered.
A car or van would not cut it as "sufficient!"
If you live far enough away from population centers, power plants, and military bases, and if you have food and water and can stay out of the fallout....you might survive for a couple of weeks or months.
If you want to thrive, you'll need some skills and rebuilding the country means community.
So where will YOU be this December 1st, 2024, the Sunday after Thanksgiving?! I'll be under my grocery!

I am going to watch this one. I would think a late spring take down would cause more havoc. but let's see where this goes

I just wish they would HURRY-UP and someone would make this SHTF happen. I am starting to fear (after 77 years of Training & prepping) I might "MISS" this once in a lifetime adventure.

If Russia does that, Russia will do it through Europe, you people in the US can then see what the consequences will be. Europe will probably be gone forever as a business location, but Europe already is.
I don't think Russia has any interest in setting an EMP over the USA at the moment, even if the above description is very interesting.

I don't think Russia has to do anything in the USA at the moment, as long as Joe Biden is in power, the question will be whether Russia or Joe is the bigger hypotec for the USA. 😵‍💫

I just wish they would HURRY-UP and someone would make this SHTF happen. I am starting to fear (after 77 years of Training & prepping) I might "MISS" this once in a lifetime adventure.
I hope it happens before my wife dies. If we are both alive I get to say, “I told you so."

If Russia does that, Russia will do it through Europe, you people in the US can then see what the consequences will be. Europe will probably be gone forever as a business location, but Europe already is.
I don't think Russia has any interest in setting an EMP over the USA at the moment, even if the above description is very interesting.

I don't think Russia has to do anything in the USA at the moment, as long as Joe Biden is in power, the question will be whether Russia or Joe is the bigger hypotec for the USA. 😵‍💫
I would think Davos might be first strike, and then whoever condemns , but who knows, the Mainstream Media sure likes to push Russia bad.

Thanksgiving is after the election but before the change of administration. If brandon steals the election again then there is little benefit in attacking America as he will destroy us. If Trump wins then attacking before he takes power could make sense.

I hope it happens before my wife dies. If we are both alive I get to say, “I told you so."
Rather hope that it NEVER happens, we would curse an EMP after a few hours and days, it will be hell what happens then.
There are worse things, that's true, but a massive EMP that would completely paralyze a country like the USA, good night folks.

Rather hope that it NEVER happens, we would curse an EMP after a few hours and days, it will be hell what happens then.
There are worse things, that's true, but a massive EMP that would completely paralyze a country like the USA, good night folks.
Not everyone. For some it would not even be an inconvenience.

Yes, it would have its good sides, the decadence would be over, but it could also have negative consequences.I don't care much about energy and technology, but many people would not be able to get over this crash.

So.........I somehow got the impression that our friends from ddp forum were interested in prepping. Why would an EMP amount to something more than an inconvenience.

Note: "NOT" Looking for a fight, just desiring to understand.

Being in the Wrong Place at the wrong Time and being overrun by Panic Sheep.

Any of us can be in the wrong Place at the wrong Time, see 11/o9/2001, if you had been in the Place where the Planes or Bombs went off, the best Preparation is useless.
Don't be where the SHTF. Avoid Sheep. Super avoid were Sheep flock together.

Last edited:
If you don't know the book, I can warmly recommend it to you, I have rarely read anything so good. Very unsparing, absolutely. I'm sure it's available in English.

https://www.festa-verlag.de/one-second-after-die-welt-ohne-strom.html
I actually got the wife to read that book. Her resistance greatly diminished after she read it. That was years ago and we haven’t had global thermonuclear war yet so reality wore off for her. She’s a democrat, what can I say.

So.........I somehow got the impression that our friends from ddp forum were interested in prepping. Why would an EMP amount to something more than an inconvenience.

Note: "NOT" Looking for a fight, just desiring to understand.
No matter where we come from, each of us has our own Preparation and Perspective, and that's a good thing, and depending on the Area where we live, the overall assessment can be well-founded, as many Factors from the immediate environment always play a Role.

I actually got the wife to read that book. Her resistance greatly diminished after she read it. That was years ago and we haven’t had global thermonuclear war yet so reality wore off for her. She’s a democrat, what can I say.
Both the book and movie look promising!
Based on the New York Times-bestselling trilogy written by William Forstchen, a resourceful professor struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town in the aftermath of a high altitude nuclear electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that destroys the nation’s electrical grid sending America back to the Dark Ages.

MPI Original Films (MPI) announced today that it has secured the film and TV rights to the New York Times bestselling trilogy written by William Forstchen that includes One Second After, One Year After, and The Final Day. MPI has partnered with Startling Inc. (Game of Thrones) to co-produce the series with J. Michael Straczynski (SENSE8, Jeremiah, Babylon 5) attached to write the pilot. The series is an emotionally poignant and terrifyingly real story of America’s immediate and devastating return to a pre-technological dark age in the wake of a terrorist attack.

Set in the hills of North Carolina, college professor and former military officer John Matherson must fight to preserve the lives of his family and neighbors in the wake of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack. In just one second the US is completely incapacitated, thousands are killed, and millions are stranded. Planes fall from the sky, electricity goes out everywhere, supply lines collapse, and transportation is limited to pre-computer era vehicles and horses. Millions of travelers, unable to get home, wander the highways searching for shelter. In the resulting chaos, residents of John’s tight-knit community look to his leadership to guide them through the difficult decisions that must be made if any of them are to survive.

https://thempi.org/latest-stories/m...zed-adaptation-of-the-john-matherson-trilogy/

By Russia do you mean the actual Russia or the pretend evil Russia the media pretends is the world's bad guy?

Your scenario makes sense to me and is feasible for the large cities and counties.
I never limit my thinking to only the nation State listed in a thread title. I expect Iran to be a far more likely perpetrator but today if Iran attacks us it is with the backing of Russia. China is a likely perpetrator but here again they may use N. Korea as a front man.

Well, if that does happen, Russia AND China will be on the receiving end of the same stuff from us.

Surviving the initial assault may be a curse.

THERE WON'T BE MUCH LEFT OF THE GLOBE!!
There are many important facts left out of the original 'doom message'.
1. Israel recently demonstrated the effectiveness of their 'Iron Dome'.
If you think it was awesome, you should read up on our 'Platinum Dome'. :D
2. Iran is right next door to Israel and they only had less than an hour to ready their defenses. Russia is on the other side of the planet, and we have hours to ready our interceptors.
3. What would Russia stand to gain? To be able to stand in the smoking rubble left after our nukes land, and scream: "We are the greatest country!"

Last edited:
Since we're talking about an EMP occurring while you're in a grocery store, (my kind of place since I own one!)
we had a V-Talk (think Ted Talk for preppers) back in 2010 that analyzed when and where Russia would likely drop a series of high altitude nukes that would completely wipe out our electrical grid and eventually lead to a full scale invasion months later with virtually no resistance from what remained of our weakened and starving population.
Of course, we're all still here, but the talk so resonated with attendees that to this day, our facility is heavily occupied on the Sunday after Thanksgiving each year particularly since the war in Ukraine started!
We now have an evening of "V-Talks" yearly!)

The talk was "creatively called: "Why Russia will pick the Sunday after Thanksgiving for an EMP."
The updated gist is this:
In the United States, the busiest travel days for air travel are usually holidays and holiday weekends.
The busiest travel day of the year is often the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
The busiest times for US flights are mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
For example, in 2023, the Sunday after Thanksgiving drew the largest crowds on record with an estimated 2.9 million passengers in the air!
AAA forecasted that 55.4 million Americans would travel at least 50 miles from home between Wednesday and the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Roads are likely to be the most clogged on that Wednesday and Sunday.
In addition, weather could snarl air and road traffic.
A storm system was expected to move from the southern Plains to the Northeast on Tuesday and Wednesday,
bringing severe thunderstorms, gusty wind and possible snow.

So think about it...
It's the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Maybe sometime before noon, when millions of Americans are in Church, possible miles away from their homes.
At this same hour, a HUGE number of US citizens are far from their homes and returning from their Thanksgiving Holiday.
As many as 50 million are driving on crowded highways
Another couple million are in the air or waiting at airports.
THIS IS THE TIME AND DAY THEY MIGHT LIKELY CHOOSE.
On detonation, every airplane would likely drop from the sky...all would perish.
Those in the airports would eventually run out of food and then perhaps turn on each other.
There would be no electricity and everything electricity enables:
No cellular communication,
No HVAC,
No pumped water,
No gas pumps,
No GPS, and lots more.
Cities would quickly run out of food with no way to replenish groceries and restaurants
(which would have no electricity anyway!)
People away from home might freeze if there were snow storms.
Most vehicles returning from Thanksgiving would be permanently stalled and the traffic would grind to a halt.
Even if you had an older car that happened to work, you'd be trapped along with thousands.
On an Interstate highway, possibly far from any food and possibly freezing, there would be chaos and eventally the strongest might take from the weakest.
Those in Church at the time might be able to walk home unless they were too feeble.
Then probably just minutes later,
hundreds of additional nukes would vaporize many U.S. cities
and throw trillions of tons of radioactive dust into the atmosphere.
Anyone not taken out by the direct blasts would be faced with lethal radioactive fallout if not sufficiently sheltered.
A car or van would not cut it as "sufficient!"
If you live far enough away from population centers, power plants, and military bases, and if you have food and water and can stay out of the fallout....you might survive for a couple of weeks or months.
If you want to thrive, you'll need some skills and rebuilding the country means community.
So where will YOU be this December 1st, 2024, the Sunday after Thanksgiving?! I'll be under my grocery!
Since you concluded this back in 2010.....and that means you have been wrong 14 times so far.......perhaps you could tell us why this will be the year......or are you specifically avoiding nominating the year?

Doomsday predictions.....like all forms of scenario prepping, are silly:
  1. When these predictions don't happen....they show that the people who make those predictions, have poor critical thinking skills
  2. They discredit the idea of preparedness......the very small proportion of prepared people creates most of the severe challenges to surviving a bad crisis
  3. They encourage people to scenario prep......instead of prepping capabilities that are common to virtually all severe crises
  4. I suspect that most people who like doomsday predictions are either single dimensional thinkers or just lack mental stimulation in their lives
If you get prepared enough with capabilities and resources, you stop worrying about what might be about to happen......because you are prepared regardless of what happens.

That should be the key goal of all preppers and survivalists.

Your body will disagree with you, should that ever happen.
I am fierce and I am brave. I have proven that to myself. But.... I am kinda frail in body, so I don't know. If I were to survive, I would do what I need to do to help others survive, in spirit if nothing else. I have a good attitude.

If something that horrific happens, I don't want to survive the initial assault.
The survivability of nuclear warfare is underestimated by most people.

That started to happen back in the seventies and eighties when the nuclear disarmament movement really got going. They wanted to scare people into supporting their cause.
Your body will disagree with you, should that ever happen.
Yep - many who say "Oh...If that happens, I will just lay down and die".....but when the time comes, most would do anything to just live another five minutes.

I never limit my thinking to only the nation State listed in a thread title. I expect Iran to be a far more likely perpetrator but today if Iran attacks us it is with the backing of Russia. China is a likely perpetrator but here again they may use N. Korea as a front man.
If Iran or North Korea were tricked by either Russia or China into dropping the EMPs, it would be really hard (maybe depending on who is President) to immediately retaliate against either Russia or China.
Neither Iran nor North Korea could pull off hitting our missile silos or nuking our major cities, so they would absolutely be wiped off the map along with any proof they had acted alone.
With only EMPs and probably few to no ground level nukes, there would be little or no fallout. The EMPs would still knock us back to the stone age and we'd still lose 90% of our population to starvation, but our infrastructure and wealth would remain intact, ripe for any bad actor to drop troops in to take it all. I think Putin would like nothing better than to see our American Experiment for Democracy and Freedom end.

Doomsday predictions.....like all forms of scenario prepping, are silly:
  1. When these predictions don't happen....they show that the people who make those predictions, have poor critical thinking skills
This thread was NOT some doomsday prediction, it was a scenario and only a scenario.
It didn't "not happen" 14 times, it's just that if it were to happen, that might be the most advantageous timing.
If it happens, and I certainly hope it doesn't, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, but if it does, I will definitely have wanted to consider it and done some preparation. Military units around the world practice scenarios constantly for a reason. General prepping will help with any situation, but having considered the possibility of an EMP could make a big difference in your ability to thrive.
Some people wisely avoid "rush hour" going to or coming from work. They see in advance a scenario where they could be stuck in traffic and choose to avoid that possibility. I choose not to travel away from home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving...every year. It's not a prediction, I'm just considering the possibility.
Considering the possibilities makes you better prepared.
"That should be the key goal of all preppers and survivalists."

P.S.
Generally, I agree, take care of the basics and the basics will take care of you.
I made a mistake of not considering a scenario a couple years ago that could have wiped us out....

FLOODING! Basic preps didn't cover that. But considering that POSSIBLE scenario, may help us in the future.
Or not, who knows?!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back