Why so LITTLE concern with current reality....??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true.

For instance, I cannot bring myself to have the slightest amount of concern for the debt limit thing.
Me either. This has happened before and it's just a show. They will raise the debt limit and keep spending as usual

I watched a youtube video the other day on Argentina and their currency problems they have had for decades. The funny thing was, you know what people there do with their Argentinian peso when they have some? They buy US $
So if US $ goes down, what will they do then?
Where will all the illegals go if the US no longer give them handouts and thing here will be like the places they come from?

If the libroids are right and they swear they always are, we've survived the second ice age, global warming, WW3 and 4, the oil collapse, several global famines, AND D.J Trump, we're some tough old geezers so they better not piss us off!

Me either. This has happened before and it's just a show. They will raise the debt limit and keep spending as usual

I watched a youtube video the other day on Argentina and their currency problems they have had for decades. The funny thing was, you know what people there do with their Argentinian peso when they have some? They buy US $
So if US $ goes down, what will they do then?
Where will all the illegals go if the US no longer give them handouts and thing here will be like the places they come from?
They will be STUCK here to fight the civil war!! "They" know how to FIND them all!! They have come in to a trap!!

Ok cracked engine block and all the welders are in China . How is that?
If many of the high schools are like the local one here, the kids don't have the opportunity to learn welding in a metal shop, that's where I learned how to weld, on old, probably ex military motor/generator welders, I also learned how to carbon arc weld aluminum, probably most people wouldn't even know about carbon arc welding, a rather lost art. I learned how to weld cast iron working in a body shop that was close to McCord AFB in Tacoma, Washington, I saw a guy weld about 15" of cracked engine block with nirod welding rod, at the time this guy was working for Peterbuilt, he knew all kind of things about welding and I had him show me how to use the nickel rod, that was back in the mid 60's. Speaking about Chinese welders, a lot of infrastructure work done is now done by the Chinese, they get the contracts to fix bridges on the highways, possibly due to not having trained Americans?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant chicken coops.

Haha, Derp, yah, I CaN hAs ReAdiNg CoMpRehNshUn.. 🤓 Gotcha, and agreed.. 👍

..For instance, I cannot bring myself to have the slightest amount of concern for the debt limit thing.

Well, sure - from the perspective of the Well Prepared, it shouldn't be (at least not nearly as-much), but.. It's more the 'fallout' from the debt-limit thing, etc that's the concern, Imo... Ergo: the bajillon 'Zombies' the resultant collapse will very-quickly spawn (which - eventually - even You-type People (those 'well insulated') will have to deal with - which Should be a concern, because doing so expends resources - Some of which are finite, regardless of how-well Prepared one is, now..)

I see it akin to 'I'm not afraid of great Heights - it's the Landing I worry about'.. ;)

This is a pretty easily digestible, yet well-summarized 'History Review' of the underlying concerns about what's going on "Financially", right now: o_O

(Parent link, here, for those interested in the Other parts: 🤔

Nonetheless, 'que sera, sera', That's Why We Prep. :cool:

jd

How do you distract people from the fiscal malfeasance of the banksters and Congressvermin?

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2023/05/no_author/victoria-nuland-inciting-wwiii-with-russia/
Victoria Nuland, head of US State Department, has officially stated in a video conference with Kyiv that WWIII will effectively begin on July 11th stating that the US and its partners will fight as long as it takes – 16 years or more… The scheduled date was chosen to coincide with the NATO Summit, a one day meeting in Lithuania. I wonder how much this WAR will affect climate change… And what happened to the deadline 2030 for all things Great RESET?

July 11th happens to be my wedding anniversary. I'll be sure to pay attention whether or not WWIII has begun.

I believe it is also divide and conquer. The people have had so many ‘EOTWAWKI’ at them all at once, it is hard to decide which one will end us all faster. Ice age? Get worried! Warming? Get worried!! Peak oil? Get worried!!!!! Death by Co2? Get Worried!!!!!!!!… … … … … …

So very many things have been thrown at the people to worry about, none of which have come true. So… Folks are getting burned out worrying about things that never come true. Conformation bias? I don’t think at this time it is, it is just burn out. One more thing they are throwing at us, for us to worry about, that will likely not come true… Just as nothing has for the last… 50.. 60 years?

How do you distract people from the fiscal malfeasance of the banksters and Congressvermin?

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2023/05/no_author/victoria-nuland-inciting-wwiii-with-russia/
Victoria Nuland, head of US State Department, has officially stated in a video conference with Kyiv that WWIII will effectively begin on July 11th stating that the US and its partners will fight as long as it takes – 16 years or more… The scheduled date was chosen to coincide with the NATO Summit, a one day meeting in Lithuania. I wonder how much this WAR will affect climate change… And what happened to the deadline 2030 for all things Great RESET?

July 11th happens to be my wedding anniversary. I'll be sure to pay attention whether or not WWIII has begun.
Then she is guilty of treason. she needs to be stripped of citizenship and deported to Guatemala.

I can conclude from this thread that "NO ONE" on this forum is justified in any degree of concern.

Those who have spent decades preparing need not be concerned, as they are prepared.

Those who function immersed in "Normalcy Bias" need not be concerned, as in their reality, someone will save them.

Then she is guilty of treason. she needs to be stripped of citizenship and deported to Guatemala.
Just curious, but what do you have against Guatemala?

I think when stating "people are not concerned about current events" it is really more a question of "why doesn't everyone else predict the same things that I am predicting?"

There are multiple ways to look at something and draw different conclusions. And thus act differently in response. Acting differently does not mean "not concerned". ............ But neither equates to "not concerned".
Part of Normalcy bias is that people can disconnect their analysis of the situation from the obvious conclusions about what that will lead to. Those same people are seduced by the "so far it hasn't happened" argument, which is at the core of Normalcy Bias - ie that things will stay normal because so far (in their memory/experience) they have.

........... Then there's me - who wonders why our credit rating is so high in the first place. How can other countries look at us - 31 trillion in debt, and wanting to spend more on things like drag shows at military bases - and not already think we are a huge credit risk?
Normalcy Bias afflicts both individuals and communities all the way up to the scale of nations - which is unsurprising when you consider that nations are just a big bunch of individuals (but also sheep) who also look to each other, to understand the world around them.

If I were as personally irresponsible with my money as the US government is with taxpayer money, my personal credit rating would be in the dirt.
No - you would go bankrupt and end up living on the street......but the biggest economy in human history takes longer to go bankrupt than an individual does......but the outcome must be the same in the end.

So knocking America's credit rating down a notch or two may be exactly what is needed to rein in our current moron politicians who are destroying us.
Does anyone actually believe this will or could ever happen? I see the current trajectory as being downwards and one way. I can't conceive of any way that the current path could be reversed. I only see the pace of decline as accelerating.

I can conclude from this thread that "NO ONE" on this forum is justified in any degree of concern.

Those who have spent decades preparing need not be concerned, as they are prepared.

Those who function immersed in "Normalcy Bias" need not be concerned, as in their reality, someone will save them.

Denial is a team sport. I have seen it on discussion forums about survivalism a lot. When those in denial get a wiff that they may be able to make the survivalists stop posting the scary stuff, they will engage in a "pile on" to see if they can intimidate those that predict a dire future.

It is worth a try, because it often works.

But I don't blame anyone here for not having a survivalist mindset.....this is not a survivalism forum. But it is clear that many who are homesteading do engage in some degree of survivalism/prepping.....or at least would like to think they do.

People do get uncomfortable when others tell them they are not prepared for a severe crisis. It is much easier to argue that such preparedness is not necessary or that they are already well enough prepared or that things well never get that bad or that they will just badass their way out of any trouble or that their community will magically and contrary to all logic, pull together and save each other, than it is to actually get adequately prepared. That is why so many chose that as their perspective, plan and path.

Last edited:
So are predictions of the end of the world every time a problem occurs.
You may have not noticed, but the most committed survivalists don't spend much time dwelling upon "scenarios".

Scenario prepping is actually frowned upon.

Preparing for "what ever might happen" is accepted to be the optimal approach......provided that includes the very severe potential crises too.

Many survivalists will respond and disagree when people try to claim that nothing is going to happen......because history and facts indicate that crises have, do and will occur.......but that is different to making predictions.

You may have not noticed, but the most committed survivalists don't spend much time dwelling upon "scenarios".

Scenario prepping is actually frowned upon.

Preparing for "what ever might happen" is accepted to be the optimal approach......provided that includes the very severe potential crises too.

Many survivalists will respond and disagree when people try to claim that nothing is going to happen......because history and facts indicate that crises have, do and will occur.......but that is different to making predictions.
It's wise to balance prepping with probability of types of evenst. For example, if you live in a city and the risk of extreme social unrest is high, maybe relocating is wise. If you live in tornado/hurricane/ice storm territory, be prepared to deal with those eventualities - because, as you say, they will occur.

Also, be prepared to deal with personal SHTF situations. That's actually bigger than most preppers realize.

But to say "I'm preparing for an EMP" is a bit short-sighted, IMO. That's one specific event only; the prepper ignores a bunch of other events that are more likely to occur.

But to dademoss' point, we are fed a daily diet of doom-'n-gloom from myriad sources. Heck, yesterday I stumbled on a recent video about Yellowstone erupting soon. Hopefully, one becomes numb to the prognostications after a while and just gets on with prepping to the best of his/her ability.

It's wise to balance prepping with probability of types of evenst. For example, if you live in a city and the risk of extreme social unrest is high, maybe relocating is wise. If you live in tornado/hurricane/ice storm territory, be prepared to deal with those eventualities - because, as you say, they will occur.

Also, be prepared to deal with personal SHTF situations. That's actually bigger than most preppers realize.

But to say "I'm preparing for an EMP" is a bit short-sighted, IMO. That's one specific event only; the prepper ignores a bunch of other events that are more likely to occur.

But to dademoss' point, we are fed a daily diet of doom-'n-gloom from myriad sources. Heck, yesterday I stumbled on a recent video about Yellowstone erupting soon. Hopefully, one becomes numb to the prognostications after a while and just gets on with prepping to the best of his/her ability.
Agreed.

I don't recall exactly when I first realized that media reports were mostly hyped......but it was a very long time ago.

I have always been willing to dig for real data and filter out the noise. Critical thinking and sound analysis are a key part of the survivalist mindset.

News media is only useful for those of us who want to know what ordinary people think......so we can better understand their likely response to a very severe crisis.

Because in a very severe crisis, average people are the biggest single threat.

Because in a very severe crisis, average people are the biggest single threat.

Of all the things you've said, this is the statement I see as best describing your biggest threat. And that is, believing yourself to be superior to others. This kind of thinking could really come back to bite you in the ass. Or so predicts an average person.

FWIW, I make statements like the above all the time. I do hope that others see them as I intend them - sarcastic jests played for laughs, overexagerations, tongue-in-cheek, and if you understand subtle humor ... a significant self-deprecation component - intentionally appearing unaware of "you're describing yourself!" optics. Subtle humor - some people get it, others don't. People actually believing these comments, well, they are the target I am actually poking at to make fun of!

Of all the things you've said, this is the statement I see as best describing your biggest threat. And that is, believing yourself to be superior to others. This kind of thinking could really come back to bite you in the ass. Or so predicts an average person.

Consider this analogy.....you are on a ship that sinks and you and all the other people on board end up in the water. You were the only one who made sure you knew where the life preservers were....so you are now the only person wearing one.

What is your biggest threat?

As the only one wearing a life preserver, is a superiority complex your biggest problem?

What is your biggest threat?

Sharks. I know they're out there. I saw Jaws in the theater. And all those average people without life preservers? Well they'll be swimming at me. Encircling me. Trying to get my life preserver. But that's all part of my plan. A ring of shark-bait people around me, while I wait in the center for the rescue boat.

OK though. Yeah, you do have a good point here.

Funny that many arrogantly disregard "The Holy Bible" or "The Boy Scout Manual".

Last edited:
Funny that many arrogantly disregard "The Holy Bible" or "The Boy Scout Manual".

Do you not think Bible verses are more about spiritual preparation, and less about stockpiling?

But I certainly will not get into a religious discussion here. With an opening salvo of "arrogantly disregarding the Bible" out of the blue, that discussion has nowhere to go in this thread - except downhill.

The Boy Scout Manual is cool though. I wish I could still find mine. I read it cover to cover many times. And it's companion - what was that called? - The Explorer Manual possibly? I have forgotten the name of it. I wish I still had these books.

Last edited:

what about those that just don't care anymore? I don't. I am just going to live the rest of my life and make the best of it. I think survival depends a lot on luck also. You can't control that. You could be as prepared as you could possibly be and the one nuke some terrorist blows up lands in the wrong spot and on top of you....or the asteroid, or the drunk driver hits you the one time a month you go somewhere.

Both devote significant words to the subject of preparing and/or being prepared.
Once again, you fail completely at clarification. Thats OK, i will no longer respond to your nonsense. It has never happened before, but I am done.

Latest posts

Back