Wingnut's bathroom renovation project

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably just go with adhesive-backed vinyl tiles, but I *may* go with roll vinyl and glue... dunno yet, depends upon the cost of everything when I get around to that particular job. I'm still chipping away at the stone, lol. :oops:

With the seams in the floor, I don't think I would go with the peel & stick stuff. Even if it bonds well it can still shift, getting it to line up is a total pita, and most of the ones I've seen are slippery. Sheet vinyl would protect the floor better and the looselay/perimeter secured type is relatively easy to install-- I mean, I managed to do it and I'm an uncoordinated monkey. LOL. Although, if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area you could see if they have click lock vinyl plank or tile. One of the nice things about the click lock stuff is that you can take it apart to do repairs. The thin stuff is forgiving of imperfections and is easy to install. Could probably get enough for the small bathroom.

Okey-dokey, the touch-up painting is done, now I'm watching paint dry... well, I'm not actually WATCHING it, but I'm TIMING it, lol. And I reckon the curing time will be just about as long as it takes for me to polish off this nice tall wine cooler, lol. Here's a pic or three of my "wine glass"---I use fruit juice and soda to make the coolers, but the lion's share is rotgut vino, 10-4? There's also some ice and a party straw in the mix... I'm pretty sure that back in the day, long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we used cut straws like this to snort cocaine, unless we wanted to impress some gals, in which case we rolled up a C-note, lol. Maybe a $50 bill if we were running low on money... ;)

IMG_9329.JPG

IMG_9328.JPG

IMG_9332.JPG

Nice wine glass, aye? That insulated plastic camping cup should be featured in the 'Concours d'Elegance' Wine-Tasting Extravaganza, lol. I can just see myself wearing board shorts, a 2A T-shirt, and big ol' leather work boots while rubbing elbows with elite snobs at such a social function... belching & farting in the process, perhaps scratching myself on occasion, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And of course trying to pick up evening-gown-attired wimmin in my usual charming fashion: [BRAAAAA-AAAAAAP!] "HEY, DARLIN', WHATCHA DOIN' LATER TONIGHT?!?" :oops:

"YA KNOW, THIS ROTGUT VINO SCENE AIN'T SO BAD, EVEN IF IT DOES GIVE ME GAS!!! RECKON I'LL CHOKE DOWN SOME MORE O' THIS CR@P!!!" 🤣

Last edited:
Oh, I will... I get to decorate the bathrooms this afternoon, don'tcha know? :dancing:

Besides, at my age, I've become rather adept at having fun, no matter how high or low the budget... ;)

Sometimes ya grill Angus steaks, sometimes ya grill yardbird, that's just the way it goes in this Biden Economy... :oops:

But I gotta say, this summer wine cooler ain't bad, even if it is still spring, lol... :cool:

Alright, I'm stopping for the day, but I did some decorating and I'm happy with the results... I took some pics, but there's a bit o' glare in certain shots, due to the bathrooms being so much lighter now, lol. Meh, let's start with the view from my garden tub as I lie in it... yes, I actually got down in the tub to take the shot. That Greek poster is a double, I have another copy of it toward the northern end of my home, but it's such a cool shot that I chose it for the tub area... just what I wanna see when I'm taking a long hot bath, lol. Here we go on our mini-tour! Second wine cooler only half empty! :oops:

IMG_9437.JPG

IMG_9412.JPG

Here's the map above it... remember, the travel posters are from the late '60s & early '70s, so there's some wear & tear on 'em, plus the glare from all the natural light streaming through the window is affecting some shots, lol. 😒

IMG_9413.JPG

Here's a classic Vietnam War Era protest poster from the late '60s or early '70s, I'm sure some of you have seen this one before. Like the travel posters, this one has been in my military family for roughly half a century, go figure. 😬

IMG_9410.JPG

Don't mind the glare on that one, lol... going back to the tub enclosure, we have this classic number, it has some added features and a corner where something was posted but later removed. The only real reason I put this up on my wall is because there's a shot of former professional surfer Mikey J. partying in my old room in Coronado (that pic is beat to hell also, lol). Meh, these are reminders of who I am and who my friends are... Mikey J. is always welcome here! 😎

IMG_9420.JPG

IMG_9421.JPG

Who else but Wingnut would put up old National Geographic posters as wall decor? Especially Mars, the Red Planet! 🤪

IMG_9422.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

I'm still gonna caulk that trim above the tub, especially the corners, but I just haven't done it yet... ran outta money last time I was at the store, lol. Hmm, maybe I'd better post these shots, then get on with the second round, aye? Oh, yeah, I'm not done yet with that master bathroom, in fact I'll be adding more decor tomorrow! But this is what's up so far... 🙄

Taking a break today, I'll probably roll out those floors tomorrow... lower back is a bit stiff from all the stooping & bending yesterday. One of these years, I'll learn to NOT tackle these home rehab projects like I'm still in my 20s, lol. Oh, well, my back will ease up as it always does, normally it doesn't give me any grief... just when I'm doing a lot of stooping & bending.
Roof leaked and damaged the walls in a bedroom. I knocked down the old plaster and drywalled that room, with some help. Finishing the seams on drywall really caused me some pain. The next drywall work I had done, repairing the ceiling in the big main bathroom and some in the kitchen, I hired done. It was well worth every penny. I try to do too many things myself, but dry wall and I have an understanding now. I won't do that anymore, except to finish hanging the sheets in the garage, with help. I have insulated the walls, and have hung some dry wall. I would like the whole thing insulated with dry wall on the walls, and 1/4 inch plywood painted white on the ceilings. But I know that I have to be careful, or I'll be on the couch for about a week.

Okay, here's that area I reserved for my nephew and his kid... my nephew gave me that framed triple photo set years ago, but now, whenever I'm soaking in the garden tub (and possibly drinking a cold beer), I can look to my right and see my relatives, WOOHOO! Hey, we may live hundreds of miles apart, but they're still on my mind, ya know? 🤩

IMG_9429.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG

Haven't put these up yet, they'll go up tomorrow... starting with Winslow Homer's primo artwork, lol. 😁

IMG_9424.JPG

IMG_9425.JPG

Who can name the classic Western artist who produced this work of art? 🤔

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9427.JPG

I can just see some genocidal/suicidal Western pioneer coming across this Native American crew... "Y'ALL LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF BUD LIGHT DRINKIN' HOMOS!!!" 🤣

IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_9416.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

IMG_9419.JPG

Oh, yeah, I found my elephant! He was hidden in a moving box, lol... I think he's meant to carry a potted plant or whatever up top, but I leave that platform open so I can set my beer on it, 10-4? I should add that he's NOT going into either bathroom, I'll find a place for him elsewhere in my home, lol. 😳

Okay, last round for the day... here's some decor that went up in the smaller bathroom, aye? Every time I shave or brush my teeth in that bathroom, I can look to my left and see that primo seaside shot, lol. 😎

IMG_9433.JPG

IMG_9432.JPG

Even better, the mermaids who've been in my family for at least half a century... if you're a hardcore small craft sailor, this artwork will appeal to you, lol. 😁

IMG_9436.JPG

IMG_9435.JPG

The Lion Gate at Mycenae, yet to go up on the wall... but I've been there multiple times, and it is radical! 😲

IMG_9415.JPG

A 3-D tall ship which I put up near the entrance to my home... saw it on the floor and had tools in my hand, lol. 😬

IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9431.JPG

The dragons which have yet to go up somewhere... 🤔

IMG_9442.JPG

IMG_9443.JPG

Meh, tomorrow's another day, time to relax and enjoy myself... at least the decor is going up in the bathrooms, though it'll probably take me 2-3 days to finish, since I have some cool smaller art pieces to squeeze in here and there. 😒

Gotta save some decor for the kitchen too, though I have heaps of decorative tiles and plates for that area... maybe some of the lighthouse tiles & plates will go up in the bathrooms, we'll see how things go. Back to my wine cooler! 🤪

Okay, I made progress today in the bathrooms, though I'm not done hanging stuff yet... the hardest part of this decoration is choosing what goes where, ya know? But I sorted it all out today, and tomorrow should be much easier, since I already know where stuff is gonna go on the walls. Here are some shots of stuff that either went up today or is going up tomorrow, lol. That crayon rabbit was done by my niece at an early age, I kept it because I like it, even if it isn't quite centered in the frame, lol. Round here, we're not that particular, this being the country, lol... ;)

IMG_9472.JPG

These classic whaling pictures are old and stained, but they've always gone up in one of the bathrooms, and today I figured out where they're gonna go in this home. :rolleyes:

IMG_9473.JPG

IMG_9474.JPG

Here's the rabbit drawn by my niece, who's now around 30 years old, lol. 😍

IMG_9475.JPG

This next shot shows a sketch of some sort (pencil, maybe?) which is framed and matted, I tried to get a closeup look at the artwork but there's a lot of glare... the sketch is actually really cool, it'll go up somewhere. 🤔

IMG_9476.JPG

This Japanese screen went up on the closet wall in my bedroom, it's an old friend... 🙂

IMG_9477.JPG

Some "filler postcards" to cover some rough spots on one skinny little wall section, lol... the skateboarding card is classic, it's pretty thrashed but it went up today, lol. 😎

IMG_9479.JPG

IMG_9480.JPG

That's Steve Alba on a Tony Alva deck, that's not an error, lol... here's an old Tolkien poster I put up today! 😁

IMG_9481.JPG

And a couple of framed Army certificates which will go up tomorrow, I found a spot for 'em, lol... 😬

IMG_9494.JPG

I'm not a big fan of whaling for commercial purposes... Native Americans hunting whales to survive in polar regions, well, that's another story. But those pictures have been in my family for at least half a century, probably more like 60 or 70 years, so I'm unwilling to get rid of 'em... and whaling WAS part of our national history, there's no getting around it. 😒

I'm gonna put up some cool stuff today, as soon as I get a couple of beers into my system, lol... gotta be in the mood to do this home decoration, don'tcha know? I never did take that bong hit I mentioned earlier, maybe today would be a good day for it, since my back was a little stiff this morning from all the weird angles while hanging artwork on the walls. 😬

I'll be glad when this home decoration is finished and I can just relax with the cats... but I feel that it's important to have home decor that inspires good memories and reminds me of friends & family. That's why I have so much nautical decor in my home, its a way to offset the fact that I'm now living in the high desert, 700 miles or more from the ocean, lol. 😉

Funny thing is, my friends just told me that southern San Diego County beaches were all closed for Memorial Day Weekend, due to raw sewage from Tijuana, lol. Gotta love that contamination from Mexico... makes me feel better about NOT living on the beach anymore, lol. Friends from I.B. (Imperial Beach, a.k.a. Venereal Beach) used to call it "turd surfing!" 😳

Okey-dokey, gonna knock off for the day because I got some BBQ action planned, but I made progress in the master bathroom and I took pics as I went along. Of course, I went back later and put stainless thumbtacks in the corners of all the postcards and artwork, so some pics show tacks, some don't, lol. Meh, you'll figure it out... 😒

Now, bathrooms are places where I put lots of smaller stuff up on the walls, since there are smaller wall sections to decorate, in addition to the larger walls. This is probably a holdover from past visits to my friend's surf shop, where some walls were plastered with photos from Baja surfing trips or whatever. Like a 'Hall of History' in that joint, lol... :cool:

Also, instead of drab and bare walls in the bathrooms, I like to offer decor that guests can check out while they're handling their business, lol. Beats staring at boring blank walls while you're trying to void your bladder or evacuate your bowels, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Hey, I wanna be entertained while I'm taking a phat p!$$ or a big ol' dump, lol. :oops:

So here we go with a few rounds of pics, I'll try to explain some of 'em as I go along, 10-4? This first shot shows some cool artwork that I like, I bought this card long ago while trucking, and it has decorated one wall or another ever since, lol. You'll see more Native American & Western-themed artwork as we progress, but let's start with this bad boy... 😁

IMG_9608.JPG

Here's the flyer for a bullfight I attended in Portugal when I was about 7 years old... 😲

IMG_9609.JPG

IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9632.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_9630.JPG

Here's my ticket stub, which I saved for my scrapbook, lol... me beloved & dear departed mum encouraged us to maintain scrapbooks, you understand. Years later, the flyer & ticket stub came out of that book to go on the wall, lol. 😉

IMG_9634.JPG

Here's a card that reminds me of good times in the ocean... my friends surfed, but I used to body surf big waves like this. Nice clean barrel on this postcard, and of course the pelicans only make the artwork better, lol. 😀

IMG_9610.JPG

A strip of stamps from Panama, I think this is supposed to be a bookmark, but it's cool despite its size... those pyramids are located in Mexico or Central America, but the stamps are from Panama, lol. 😬

IMG_9611.JPG

And here's that small corner in the master bathroom, dunno if the bullfight ticket made it in there yet... 🤔

IMG_9612.JPG

Maybe it'll show in a later pic, I posted it beneath the toothbrush and razor rack, lol. 😐

P.S. You're gonna see some reflections in these shots, since there are at least two mirrors in that bathroom, but you'll figure it out... some of those reflections are of entirely different walls. Gotta touch up paint in one or two spots, lol... 🙃

Last edited:
Okay, let's move on and check out more artwork... :)

IMG_9613.JPG

That's my shrine to Coach Greene, a real man among men, and a strong role model for me after my dad split (chasing some younger skirt). Coach was one helluva man, a better man than I'll ever be, lol... he was not only a good coach, he taught shop classes and also taught kids (including me) how to drive, back when schools still had Driver's Ed courses. ;)

IMG_9614.JPG

IMG_9615.JPG

RIP, Coach Greene... he was a lion among men, but I didn't have any lion pics, so I posted a tiger on the wall. I was born in the 'Year of the Tiger' as well, so you'll see tigers throughout my home, but Coach was a tiger in his own right. Here's an elephant pic I added to the column of postcards across the way... :D

IMG_9616.JPG

You can see it again in these pics... 🤔

IMG_9635.JPG

IMG_9641.JPG

Looking back again... there's that bullfight ticket down at lower right, lol. 😒

IMG_9636.JPG

Stepping back, it looks cluttered in the pic, but that's a big bathroom, 14' x 7' or 8', and 14' x 10' or 12' in the toilet nook. The overall effect is less cluttered when you're in the bathroom, I just wanted to capture all the small stuff that got posted today, lol. We'll get to that dragon corner on the left in a moment... 🤪

IMG_9647.JPG

Two detail shots of tigers, lol... 😃

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9648.JPG

That's Bubba the Cat in that last pic, I'll tell his story some other time... there's some glare on the pic, which was taken back in my big ol' party room in Coronado. Bubba looks mean here, but he was actually a very cool cat, lol. 😎

Okay, time for the dragon art, it is bad@$$, lol. I have other dragon art in my home, so this is just an additional piece of dragon artwork that I like. Again, this has been on one wall or another in four different homes over the years, so it's actually in pretty good shape, considering how many times it has been packed up and moved, lol. Here we go... 😁

IMG_9642.JPG

Below, we have my old school direct aid climbing shot, that always goes up somewhere because visitors trip on it, lol... 😳

IMG_9643.JPG

A shot of two Pileated Woodpeckers as seen at a feeder in my brother's yard in central Missouri... 😲

IMG_9644.JPG

Note that some pics are all tattered or thrashed due to age, not to mention wear & tear in relocation. Here's some Injun artwork on the small wall directly across from the pics just shown... 😒

IMG_9637.JPG

IMG_9640.JPG

IMG_9639.JPG

IMG_9638.JPG

Don't mind the glare in those shots, that light was bright from the window behind me, lol. Here's a calendar below the Injun art, I like having a calendar to consult while I'm sitting on the porcelain throne, aye? That's for my own use, not necessarily for house guests, lol. 😉

IMG_9623.JPG

A little something above the door... 🙄

IMG_9624.JPG

And a view back toward the west, you can see the Tolkien poster filling the gap at lower left... that tub has no shower, there's a separate shower stall at the eastern end of the bathroom. 😐

IMG_9646.JPG

Usually there are two towels hanging on those far tub racks, lol... meh, today ya only get one. 😬

Okay, one last round of pics, I'm burning daylight here when I should be firing up the BBQ, lol... oh, well, at least I have plenty of cold beer. Let's see, what else is left? Ah, a classic photo of yours truly riding a Greek pony back when I was 5 or 6 years old... cue the DK 'Rawhide' track! 😳

IMG_9617.JPG

Okay, technically I'm not RIDING the pony, I'm just sitting atop it, lol... that's my brother Pete on the ground! As you can tell, I was no slave to fashion in those days... still ain't, if that's any consolation, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 😉

IMG_9618.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG

Here's some nautical artwork, some sort of Mideastern lateen rig, I reckon... probably loaded with explosives. 😒

IMG_9621.JPG

The 'Star of India' under sail... she's berthed on the Embarcadero in San Diego Bay. 😀

IMG_9628.JPG

An old biplane... gotta like these craft, I flew in a Stearman Sr. Speedmail biplane years ago, that pic comes later, lol. 🙄

IMG_9626.JPG

I always post the following card so folks remember Pearl Harbor... ugly scene, but cool artwork. 🙁

IMG_9625.JPG

Bad glare here, plus a reflection of my ceiling fan and overhead roof beam, but this will go up somewhere manana... 🤔

IMG_9645.JPG

Last but not least, another small framed picture which I'm gonna hang over the fire extinguisher in my kitchen, that's a good spot for it, lol. Pretty cool old tower in this small framed pic... 😎

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9650.JPG

Okay, I'm off to PAR-TAY and BBQ, y'all hang loose and chill out, lol... more decoration tomorrow, CHEERS!!! 😁

Alright, I'm stopping for the day, but I did some decorating and I'm happy with the results... I took some pics, but there's a bit o' glare in certain shots, due to the bathrooms being so much lighter now, lol. Meh, let's start with the view from my garden tub as I lie in it... yes, I actually got down in the tub to take the shot. That Greek poster is a double, I have another copy of it toward the northern end of my home, but it's such a cool shot that I chose it for the tub area... just what I wanna see when I'm taking a long hot bath, lol. Here we go on our mini-tour! Second wine cooler only half empty! :oops:

View attachment 109108
View attachment 109109

Here's the map above it... remember, the travel posters are from the late '60s & early '70s, so there's some wear & tear on 'em, plus the glare from all the natural light streaming through the window is affecting some shots, lol. 😒

View attachment 109110

Here's a classic Vietnam War Era protest poster from the late '60s or early '70s, I'm sure some of you have seen this one before. Like the travel posters, this one has been in my military family for roughly half a century, go figure. 😬

View attachment 109111

Don't mind the glare on that one, lol... going back to the tub enclosure, we have this classic number, it has some added features and a corner where something was posted but later removed. The only real reason I put this up on my wall is because there's a shot of former professional surfer Mikey J. partying in my old room in Coronado (that pic is beat to hell also, lol). Meh, these are reminders of who I am and who my friends are... Mikey J. is always welcome here! 😎

View attachment 109112
View attachment 109113

Who else but Wingnut would put up old National Geographic posters as wall decor? Especially Mars, the Red Planet! 🤪

View attachment 109114
View attachment 109115

I'm still gonna caulk that trim above the tub, especially the corners, but I just haven't done it yet... ran outta money last time I was at the store, lol. Hmm, maybe I'd better post these shots, then get on with the second round, aye? Oh, yeah, I'm not done yet with that master bathroom, in fact I'll be adding more decor tomorrow! But this is what's up so far... 🙄
Nope, I did it too.

Put up those pics in the other bathroom today... I don't usually hang pics so close together, but I wanted to be done with this project and get those pics up off the carpet (after emptying those moving boxes). So this is how it'll look for now, I can always move stuff later if I want... that bathroom isn't THAT small, so it's not as cluttered as it seems in these pics, lol. I just wanted to move on after the bad news about my cat, so this is what the bathrooms will look like for now, aye? The floors get done later, that's a separate project. Here's the second bathroom... 😒

IMG_9673.JPG

IMG_9674.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

I still gotta hang that clock, forgot to do that today, lol. Exact time isn't that important here in the boondocks... 😉

Latest posts

Back