Winter scorpions🤔

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So I'm sitting in the den on the floor in front of the wood stove... gotta pee.... I head to the bathroom, NO shoes on, too cold for scorpions!! Sitting on the potty (yes, too much info Pearl), and what do I see, A SCORPION! Killed it with the bathroom spray! Sprayed it, stunned it, smashed it!! Shoes will be on next trip!!

I only have little black ones here, bout an inch long. Supposed to be poisonous but to little to sting most people. I never see them in winter but still kill them when i do see one. Don't want scorpions, black widows or brown recluse spiders in my house.

I'm not as careful here as I was when I lived in Arizona, but I have never heard of a scorpion coming out this time of year. That is a little creepy. Hope you don't see any more.

ALWAYS check your shoes in Texas!!

Ignorance is bliss. I lived in Texas for two years without seeing a single scorpion. They were probably there but I wasn't aware of their existence.

The only bug I noticed was a Texas sized spider that hit me straight in the face when out riding through the trees. That sure woke me up.

The web itself was like a sticky gill net stuck to my face and I had no idea where the spider went. I was sure it was on my hat. That was the day I learned about banana spiders. Big buggers they be.

This winter we’ve had 3 nights below 20f. That’ll put a big dent in the bug population, especially brown recluse spiders. Hate those things! Fire ants and b. recluse don’t like hard freezes. This cold spell will take out 90% that live in my shop, barns, sheds. Mild winters are nice when doing farm work but the bugs will be worse the next summer.

Just remember my cold weather friends... 🤣

Boromir safe.jpg

@Pearl is it possible that the new criminals drug factory in your neighborhood has done something to stir up the scorpions and send them running your direction? Sorry you’re seeing them at all.
We've always had a lot of scorpions!! This was their house before it was ours, lol!

I have seen a scorpion only once in my life. It was at a Texas state park (Fort Richardson). It was a tiny critter that one could cover with a silver dollar. At first, I thought it was a Daddy-Long-Leg spider. The scorpion took up residency in the men's restroom in the urinal I happened to be using that morning. I shot him down (if you catch my drift).

Latest posts

Back