Wireless mice keyboards

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Anyone use them? I recently switched over. Been having issues with the mouse. For lack of a better description.. my cursor movement gets jerky, lags the actual mouse movement, sometimes hangs for several seconds.

I'm unsure if a) i bought a crappy mouse or b) have a usb bus issue with my computer. Ideas?

Anyone use them?
Yes, I had those issues a while back with my wireless mouse, replaced it with a new one and the problem seems to have gone away

Make sure it's on a solid surface, I run mine right on my desk, I have an executive size fully laminated top.

Also, make sure other Bluetooth devices aren't laying to close to the little dongle that receives the signal.

Hope it helps

I have used a Logitech wireless trackball for ever.
When I connect it via the Bluetooth I have the same problems you described.
When I plug in the Logitech dongle it runs fine.
Trackballs are when you re too lazy to move your arm and only want to move your thumb and index finger.
Great when you're sitting in a recliner.

I have this wireless keyboard for a computer connected to the TV. Gifted one to friends and they enjoy using it supposed to be 10 m range for about $26.

Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Touch With Easy Media Control and Built-in Touchpad, HTPC Keyboard for PC-connected TV, Windows, Android, Chrome OS, Laptop, Tablet - Black https://a.co/d/aSe73DP

I'm unsure if a) i bought a crappy mouse or b) have a usb bus issue with my computer. Ideas?
Sounds more like an RF issue to me. The communications between the mouse and that little USB dingle-fobby that plugs into your computer. If you have that dingle-fobby plugged into a USB port on the back of your computer, try plugging it into a port on the front. Or vica versa. If you have a USB extender cable, use that to get the dingle-fobby physically closer to your mouse. Something may be shielding the communications signal, or generating interference.

Also, your mouse just may have a dirty sensor. Look for lint on that and blow it off if found. If the mouse is not optical and instead has a little ball, remove the ball (if it allows) and clean under it. Optical mice can be sensitive to what they are sitting on top of. If you are not currently using a mouse pad and instead have it sitting on a desk top (especially a glass one), put something under the mouse. Preferably a mouse pad, but even a piece of newspaper might help for testing.

Sometimes just popping out that dingle-fobby that plugs into the computer and re-inserting it can help. That power cycles the thing and may reset some insanity that has developed in its poor little brain. A low battery in the mouse can also cause issues like this.

Anyone use them? I recently switched over. Been having issues with the mouse. For lack of a better description.. my cursor movement gets jerky, lags the actual mouse movement, sometimes hangs for several seconds.

Check in the background and see how busy Windoz (et al) has the CPU.
Every time my mouse did that, either Windoz was doing 'file indexing', or McAfee was running a full scan, using 100% of the CPU resources.
Stopping the silly stuff fixed it. :thumbs:

One more option to try before buying a new one. Use alcohol or hand sanitizer to clean the little pads on the underside of the mouse. Some are pickier than others. The one I used to have at work, I had to clean it all the time. The one I now have, seldom.

I have used a wireless Mouse for over five years I love it.
Two AA batteries last a long time.
This thread was a good reminder.
I have only used mine 3 times, in 3 years :oops:.
It only takes one battery so I treated it to a new one.🙂:thumbs:

I was at my old office today and the gal who is now in my position was asking about the mouse. I showed her all the gum and lint stuck on the little tabs. Cleaned them off and her mouse worked great.

Sounds more like an RF issue to me. The communications between the mouse and that little USB dingle-fobby that plugs into your computer. If you have that dingle-fobby plugged into a USB port on the back of your computer, try plugging it into a port on the front.

Looks like we have a winner! Yesterday I moved the fob/plug from a backside usb port to the front of the desktop. No mouse errors… but I think I’m dealing with a different issue. A goofy mouse was a just a symptom.

Wednesday I noticed, sort of, my new phone was on when the mouse went goofy. Unrelated, right? :)

My keyboard has also acted up recently. But both times I was editing a project and using the mouse predominantly. Both screwed up, by the time the mouse started working the keyboard was fine, an after thought.

Yesterday after haertig’s post I really thought about my computer setup, things change over time. Gear gets swapped out, upgraded. Currently... Within 15” of each other there’s – satellite modem wire/wireless, 2 wireless fob/plugs, a wire/wireless printer, monitor wire/wireless, wireless speakers and two smart phones (charge from same power).

I got to thinking, that area is saturated with rf at any given time... but the problem is intermittent, why? (my old service guy nose smells a rat). The mouse/keybd issue would be continual if the rf noise were constant. What if the rf noise level changes occasionally? That would explain an intermittent mouse prob. What if another devices is doing something I’m not aware of… turning on etc. that would also explain random mouse issues.

If that’s the case, more than likely it’s one of my phones. I think it’s my 5g phone. My 3g phone is for calls, the 5g just for taking pictures, recording vids.

Anyway, I set a trap after I moved the mouse plug to the front of the desktop. I left every thing off but my pc, had no errors over 5 hours. Usually happens every 2 to 3hrs.

Next I turned on my 5g phone. 20min passed with nothing, no errors. Then suddenly both keyboard and mouse had issues. I immediately shut down my 5g phone, then grabbed the mouse, it was fine, so was the keybd. :rolleyes:

Calls for a better test to be sure but… what the heck is that phone connecting to? It’s just an unlocked 5g phone, no account, no carrier. It has no reason to connect except the cable when I transfer images to my dtop.

In the past during episodes, I’ve checked batteries in the mouse and the charge on keybd. Cleaned everything including the mouse pad. By the time I’m done and check function, everything worked… but the problem kept occurring.

Maybe the phone is connecting for a short period of time. For several minutes then disconnects? The problem keeps occurring randomly, nothing I’ve done has changed that. Except cycle power on my 5g phone. It seemed to affect the mouse.

Needs a much more thorough test. I’m sure rf is spiking at times, just have to figure out why.

Last edited:
Back when I was trying to debug an intermittent cellphone reception problem in my house, I downloaded an Android app named "Phone Signal". With that, I would see the various cell towers around me, their relative signal strengths, and which one I was connected to (not all at the same time, but I could see them historically). I found that my phone was changing cell towers even when it was just sitting there on my desk, untouched. All of the tower signals were pretty weak, which is no doubt why my phone kept switching - searching for something with a better signal than it currently had.

I never fixed that reception issue in my house, but my point here is that Peanuts' cell phone may be searching and switching between towers, varying their transmit power, trying to find the best signal. So the 5G phone may not actually be connecting to anything (to transmit data), it may just be doing its periodic checks that are coded into its internal algorithms. Hard to say - I'm just guessing. I am not a radio engineer, and certainly not a cell phone one. Heck, when I got my EE degree regular touch-tone phones were just catching on, replacing the rotary dial phones. Cell phones hadn't even been dreamt up yet.

Or it could just be random radio interference waxing and waning. My house is full of electronics. I've got two WiFi routers about 3 feet from me (one dedicated to the alarm system, the other to normal computer stuff). Then I have two more WiFi access points about 20 feet away. Last count, I had 58, yes 58!!!, WiFi devices in my house connected to my routers and access points. And those are just the things that are supposed to put out radio signals. Other things like audio amps, various laptops and desktops, TV's, DVD players and all kinds of other junk aren't supposed to put out interfering radio signals, but since 99% of them are probably made in China, I have no doubt that indeed they do. Good thing I don't want to have any more kids, because my gonads are probably fried. Not that this really matters, because once you've been married over 40 years, the things necessary to make babies don't happen so much anymore. Kind of a moot point about those radio waves everywhere...

Mri's - sensitive to stray rf signals, the catscans i worked on were sensitive to stray magnetic fields. Spent decades chasing rf and magnetic fields for work. This problem just acts like a stray rf signal. It's not the number of rf signals in my house, it's the concentration of them in one cubic ft of space that's causing the problem. Once i verified mouse/keybd function... easy next step is to move where i charge my phones.

Latest posts

Back