Wood Shed Build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleJoe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not a home but it is a home construction project.

I couldn't fit a an entire winter's worth of wood in my old shed so decided to go big. Now I not only have room for wood for the winter but a little storage space for things that don't need to be in a completely enclosed structure. It's 16' deep, 10' wide and slopes from 10' high in front to 8' in the back. Took me about 2 weeks of evenings and weekends.
The last picture shows about 8 cord under cover and ready for winter.

Camera 195.jpg
Camera 196.jpg
Camera 198.jpg
Camera 200.jpg
Camera 202.jpg
P1010335.JPG
P1030023.JPG

Last edited:
Tats a nice shed Joe,

I built mine in one day...about 15 years ago, used homegrown Black Locust for main posts,
Wish I had built it 20x20 instead of 6x20.
May expand it some day.

I found a new wood supply at a local Amish logging sawmill.

They call them drops, all Red Oak,
I just go get all I want for $20 a truck load.

I burn about 4 truck loads a year..

wood.jpg
wood2.jpg
wood3.jpg

Jim

Well you may not be all that interested. You can't tell from the pics but it's about 4" out of square. :rolleyes:

Isn’t that the sign of a craftsman... leaving a small flaw to allow the process of becoming perfect to continue? That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

Now thats a lot of wood,

I don't know how many more years . I'm going to be able to split and stack it.
I am just glad I found the supply from the Amish.
Still got to split 50% of it.
Most of it is 12-20" long , but like 12x12" square.

Takes the falling trees, and cutting and trimming out of the labor for me,

But I need a couple teenagers to load it on the truck..

Jim

Yea, I too sometimes get tired of doing it so I like to stay several years ahead so I can take a break for a year if I want.

Here's some wood I have bucked and just need to bring it down to the sheds and split stack. I do have a strong teenage son so lately I've been having him do a lot of the work.

Wood440.JPG

Isn’t that the sign of a craftsman... leaving a small flaw to allow the process of becoming perfect to continue? That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

I like your way of thinking. :)

Looks like someone put all my pics in "full image" mode. :dunno:

I was trying to save space on the page. Guess that isn't a concern. :)

When I was a kid Dad bought the property next to us. It had a wood shed that was built with natural materials and on uneven ground. I made comments about the construction. Dad said the holes provided ventilation and as long as the roof kept most of the rain off we'd use it.

The roof and siding were hand split shakes and the frame was limbed skinny trees. I miss that old shed.

Joe that shed is very close to my plans. I'm going 16x20 with mine, but identical otherwise. I did note the extra lumber storage. I will keep that in mind when I get going with mine.

That's all the 2x4's that will fill the gaps in the walls if I should ever feel the need. That's how I spaced the 2x10's. I laid a 2x4 on a 2x10 then put the next 2x10 on top and nailed it in place. Pull the 2x4 out rinse and repeat.

I bought the 6x6's at an auction for next to nothing. The walls and rafters I had milled from spruce trees I cut down. And even though I bought the metal roofing new, it was still a pretty cheap project. I might have $300 in the whole thing.

Great post! I've been meaning to build a small shed for about 3 cords worth. I only burn about 2 cords each year. I have geothermal heating, and the wood stove is a backup. I mainly burn in my shop's wood stove. love the pics. hope more people share their shed pics. I need some ideas.

Latest posts

Back