Work Animals!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skittles

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
How many people here have work animals? I don't have a farm yet but I would like to get some work animals once I get a farm, possibly 1 tractor for tough stuff like plowing but get set up for cultivating, planting, hay making with work animals. At minimum get set up so I can do all my gardening without oil... which might mean a small donkey and a cultivator that fits, or just a push cultivator and seeder.

It's absolutely inconceivable to me that 90% of the farmland in America is farmed with oil... which has a supply chain that stretches 10,000 miles assuming that it originates in Saudi Arabia.

Don't people have any concept... any idea.... any realization... of what happens once a part of that supply chain is disrupted?!!!?!!!

My favorite story that I've heard is of the old man who lived in the upper midwest, who had farmed the same ground since the 1930's, died about 2-5 years ago, maybe a little more, with horses. He said he'd never lost money on a crop and every year through the Great Depression he'd made money.

Also, recently I heard of a farm in the same vicinity where they'd never hooked up to the electric grid- the guy is pretty old now or he died a few years ago... used wind chargers since the 1940's as well.

Meat on the hoof.... crops in the ground... a well that you can hand pump.... absolutely no connections to the outside world for utilities... a securable location at least a hour by pavement from the nearest large city in an area of like-minded people are the true keys/secrets to long-term survival.

Last edited:
My brother has draft horses that he uses to farm his small place (20 acres) he also has tractors. working horses are a labor of love .but would definately be a bonus in a grid down situation when there would be lots of human labor available,(if they want to eat)

How many people here have work animals? I don't have a farm yet but I would like to get some work animals once I get a farm, possibly 1 tractor for tough stuff like plowing but get set up for cultivating, planting, hay making with work animals. At minimum get set up so I can do all my gardening without oil... which might mean a small donkey and a cultivator that fits, or just a push cultivator and seeder.

It's absolutely inconceivable to me that 90% of the farmland in America is farmed with oil... which has a supply chain that stretches 10,000 miles assuming that it originates in Saudi Arabia.

Don't people have any concept... any idea.... any realization... of what happens once a part of that supply chain is disrupted?!!!?!!!

My favorite story that I've heard is of the old man who lived in central Iowa, I believe it was north of Des Moines, maybe near Ames, Iowa, who had farmed the same ground since the 1930's, died about 2-5 years ago, maybe a little more, with horses. He said he'd never lost money on a crop and every year through the Great Depression he'd made money.

Also, recently I heard of a farm in the same vicinity where they'd never hooked up to the electric grid- the guy is pretty old now or he died a few years ago... used wind chargers since the 1940's as well.

Meat on the hoof.... crops in the ground... a well that you can hand pump.... absolutely no connections to the outside world for utilities... a securable location at least a hour by pavement from the nearest large city in an area of like-minded people are the true keys/secrets to long-term survival.

Thats the way we were when I was a kid...
Hard life, but a good life.

I live near several Huge Amish communities... I envy the way the live , off grid, and live off the land.
99% independent communities, they buy, sell and trade within their commuinty.
I enjoy going there and sitting around chatting with the old timers ,

They won't even know SHTF, for the most part.

Jim

My favorite story that I've heard is of the old man who lived in central Iowa, I believe it was north of Des Moines, maybe near Ames, Iowa, who had farmed the same ground since the 1930's, died about 2-5 years ago, maybe a little more, with horses. He said he'd never lost money on a crop and every year through the Great Depression he'd made money.

Yes, We have worked our farm with draft horses. (Belgians)

We worked the garden, used a sled and pulled fire wood... and I'll leave it there for now.

My brother has draft horses that he uses to farm his small place (20 acres) he also has tractors. working horses are a labor of love .but would definately be a bonus in a grid down situation when there would be lots of human labor available,(if they want to eat)
Totally agree on a labor of love.

Working horses,always reminds me of the logging skid horse stories.
not exactly as I heard it but, Ed was a horse that got left at a local ranch, The owner tried all kind of jobs with Ed, Ed wasn't much good except for plowing small pieces, kind of like the garden. this was in tractor days, probably the late forties or early 50s. the rancher asked 2 young loggers to take Ed to the bush with them, they put stock racks on the pickup and tried to load Ed. He fought and balked , the "boys" didn't really need the hassle because they had trails to tractor skid. So they took the stock racks off the pickup, Got back from stacking the racks where they belong, Ed is standing in the back of the truck, and will not get out, the Rancher is Pi$$ed by now and shuts the tail gate, and says he will want out by the time you get moving, As soon as the pickup started to move Ed braced himself and they went to the bush. they got to the bush and realized that they had left a pail of oats in the back of the truck with Ed, to their surprise he never touched it. Ed calmly backed out of the truck as soon as the tailgate was dropped, and followed the faller to the cut, the faller hooked up a log and before he could grab the reins, Ed took off with the log, the faller decided to follow him at a distance. Ed went back to near the truck and waited to be un hooked, Ed turned out to be a great self operating skid horse. At lunch time the faller would go back to the pile with ed and un hook him , when Ed would jump in the box of the truck to eat his oats, one day the "boys"got distracted and didn't get ED unhooked in his time frame, so he got impatient and jumped in the truck with the log still attached, The "boys" had a bit of grief untangling the rigging, but they learned not to forgot to unhook Ed's log at lunch time

Horses & donkeys make mules.
Mules are great worker, not as good draft horse or Oxen, but they are hard worker.
Dogs are good work animals who fill a lot of different roles.

I'm planning on getting a couple of Nigerian goats.They provide meat/milk plus can be trained to carry packs and pull carts.Also,since they can eat "anything",they'd be perfect for clearing brush from areas you want to use.Definitely a multi-purpose animal. I want to start with 2 young females and "rent a buck" when I'm ready for babies.

I'm planning on getting a couple of Nigerian goats.They provide meat/milk plus can be trained to carry packs and pull carts.Also,since they can eat "anything",they'd be perfect for clearing brush from areas you want to use.Definitely a multi-purpose animal. I want to start with 2 young females and "rent a buck" when I'm ready for babies.
You'll find that goats are picky eaters and won't eat "anything". They are good at clearing most brush but if you want good tasting milk your going to have to feed them right, what they eat affects the taste.

Never milked goats:

Your Goat’s Milk Is What It Eats

Goats are browsers and will eat the most flavorful, nutritious plants they can access. This will benefit you as much as them when it comes to milk flavor. If you provide them with plenty of good plants to forage, particularly in the spring, and substitute with good sweet feed when needed, the results will show in your milk. Minerals are also important. Provide your gals with premium, loose, free-choice mineral and kelp and you’ll all be happy.
Attention to health and parasite control shouldn’t be taken lightly either. Mastitis (breast-tissue inflammation), for instance, can have an effect on milk flavor. Not all goat handlers agree that diet has a direct correlation to milk flavor, but a holistic approach to ensuring a happy, healthy goat will show come milking time.

Thanks for the advice.I'm doing a lot of research on it,I'll do it right when I do it.I had a whether for years,he was given to me but he was more dog than goat.I've read having bucks close to the nannies isn't good for the milk,either,affecting taste and they are stinky,so I've decided not to get a buck,right away anyway.When it's time to breed I've got two options,rent a buck or artificial insemination. I know how to trim the hooves and feed and I have a really big yard for them with some pasture,brush and woods for variety.I know if I ever need advice,I can come on here and I've got a really good veterinarian ten minutes up the road and I believe they make house calls for bigger animals.I've narrowed my search down to a couple of farms and the favorite is in my township and they've stated they would always be available for advice.I've put a lot of thought/research in this because I want to be sure I want and can raise milk goats before jumping in blindly.

Back