WORK! Rat And Gas Leak

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
A long month. THE VAN..... A few weeks ago smelled gas at grocery store. Got down and looked under and saw it dripping. All the way home i felt like I was sitting on a bomb. I wanted to call wrecker, hubby said no way.
It couldn't be on a line on frame,no that would be too easy, it was at the top of the fuel pump right behind the drivers seat.
Does already very sick hubby drain FULL tank [ we just filled it up] disconnect all the lines and drop the tank? Nope, he has worked on vehicals all his life body man painter so he decides to go in thru the floor.
Pull away carpet,insulation and cut away metal that is right up against the fuel pump and leak. Sparks flying from die grinder and a full tank of gas. I was raising all kinds of hell and saying it ain't worth the risk.It took him a couple hours and I was having a panic attack the whole time. A 26 y.o. [ sure nobody had ever changed it ] intake line. It has 2 lines so I said why not fix both since they are old. He said, ' crawl your ass under there and have at it '. He never gets that mad so i knew it wasn't going to happen. He had pnemonia and flu so it affected his mind.
THE PICKUP TRUCK..... He is just now taking dashboard off and discovering a fat dead rat and her family that was killed when heater fan turned on last month. Dead rats make skunks smell like perfume. So couple weeks ago sprayed it with Lysol inside vents all over interior,etc,etc,etc,. Hubby has been in pain all week and just got to where he could do something so he tackled the rat thing.
THE VAN 'AGAIN.......Then we go to fill up 12 gallon gas tank for jon boat. Forgot to close off line so it leaked gas all the way home and all night before we realized it was leaking next day. Yesterday I took carpet and insulation out, hung it all over untility trailor and used baking soda to wash it out with hose. Used push broom to scrub. Then I tackled the ^*&$%($&#@ inside!
I'm sick and tired of all thsi work.

A long month. THE VAN..... A few weeks ago smelled gas at grocery store. Got down and looked under and saw it dripping. All the way home i felt like I was sitting on a bomb. I wanted to call wrecker, hubby said no way.
It couldn't be on a line on frame,no that would be too easy, it was at the top of the fuel pump right behind the drivers seat.
Does already very sick hubby drain FULL tank [ we just filled it up] disconnect all the lines and drop the tank? Nope, he has worked on vehicals all his life body man painter so he decides to go in thru the floor.
Pull away carpet,insulation and cut away metal that is right up against the fuel pump and leak. Sparks flying from die grinder and a full tank of gas. I was raising all kinds of hell and saying it ain't worth the risk.It took him a couple hours and I was having a panic attack the whole time. A 26 y.o. [ sure nobody had ever changed it ] intake line. It has 2 lines so I said why not fix both since they are old. He said, ' crawl your ass under there and have at it '. He never gets that mad so i knew it wasn't going to happen. He had pnemonia and flu so it affected his mind.
THE PICKUP TRUCK..... He is just now taking dashboard off and discovering a fat dead rat and her family that was killed when heater fan turned on last month. Dead rats make skunks smell like perfume. So couple weeks ago sprayed it with Lysol inside vents all over interior,etc,etc,etc,. Hubby has been in pain all week and just got to where he could do something so he tackled the rat thing.
THE VAN 'AGAIN.......Then we go to fill up 12 gallon gas tank for jon boat. Forgot to close off line so it leaked gas all the way home and all night before we realized it was leaking next day. Yesterday I took carpet and insulation out, hung it all over untility trailor and used baking soda to wash it out with hose. Used push broom to scrub. Then I tackled the ^*&$%($&#@ inside!

I'm so sorry you and your dh have had such a rough time lately! I hope things (and your dh) get better soon!

I'm so sorry you and your dh have had such a rough time lately! I hope things (and your dh) get better soon!

Thank you and that is sweet of you. I just thought of venting. I still have to clean van floor and steam clean uphostery in it to make sure no more gas smell. I love my van if we have to repair it one part at a time I'm keeping it. I get 400 miles to a tank of gas, it has great suspension it rolls real easy. I have our potty, and air bed so we never have to stop on trips if we bring our food which we do.
And just think my almost senior middle aged kids go to the gym and actually pay somebody to work their buns off to get a workout and nothing accomplished I get one with benefits.
I ask them to help me spread some gravel on our driveway a couple decades ago. They went to the gym instead. My grandkids helped me do it. Son was in Iraq so he couldn't help.

Kids sure can be punks.
There's some product made specifically for deodorizing rooms carpets, etc. from animal smell. Nature's Miracle, I think it's called. We have a shed the rats have stenched. I thought it was a cat smell at first, but no. I should use it in there.
Sounds like my NH. And yeah, we've had to do fuel tank things on big vans too. What a hassle!

Meerkat, I am just seeing and reading this. I am so sorry to hear about all of your frustrations. We all have times like this where it seems like everything that can, goes wrong. I hope things are getting better.

Thank yall, it is good to rant sometimes.
Don't say mush to kids they might get more ideas about us needing a nice safe place to stay as in Assisted living.:eek:

One of my daughters said ' mom yall need to come back home and check on a place where you can have help when you get older'. I said, ' good you checked because your probably going to need one yourself not too far in the future'. Son says he will never let us stay i none of those places, well he lives in Texas a place I don't want to be. Do appreciate the offer though.

I 'pirated' :D just kidding ' another good movie on youtube last night 1989 movie ' Dad ' . It was about old people.

Anyway it is always soemthing and glad we'er blessed enough to still do it.

Don't say mush to kids they might get more ideas about us needing a nice safe place to stay as in Assisted living.:eek:
Wonder what kids would say... if told they had to pay for their parents assisted living... lol, just might end that conversation quick, lol, ;)

Plus you don't need assisted living Meerkat, you still have you're since of humor!:p:D:)

And yup, we ALL have those times..."when it rains, it pours!":eek:

Thank yall, it is good to rant sometimes.
Don't say mush to kids they might get more ideas about us needing a nice safe place to stay as in Assisted living.:eek:...

When my children pointed out to me (kidding I think) that they get to choose my nursing home I pointed out to them that I get to choose how much IF ANY inheritance they will get. Stalemate!

Wonder what kids would say... if told they had to pay for their parents assisted living... lol, just might end that conversation quick, lol, ;)

Plus you don't need assisted living Meerkat, you still have you're since of humor!:p:D:)

And yup, we ALL have those times..."when it rains, it pours!":eek:

LOL, that would sure put a plug in it.:D. if I didn't laugh it off I'd be crying all the time. ;)

When my children pointed out to me (kidding I think) that they get to choose my nursing home I pointed out to them that I get to choose how much IF ANY inheritance they will get. Stalemate!

:cool: I bet it was. :D.

Meerkat, I am just seeing and reading this. I am so sorry to hear about all of your frustrations. We all have times like this where it seems like everything that can, goes wrong. I hope things are getting better.

Phone rang and I got out of line.

Thank you sweety. Things are better now. Hubby joined his first forum ever today,he doesn't do politics. So he joined a boat forum to ask about 1972 Evenrude 65HP propeller. At least he can sit to read that. We had the boat for 10 years and everytime he thinks he can touch it, something else comes up or falls apart.

I guess we can just say it's building character when our kids are pains. I have one that only talks to me on Christmas and she lives nearby.

Amish if you never seen " Dad " staring Jack Lemon ,Olivia Dukacus and Ted Dansom, you should watch it, inspiring 1989 movie. He should have gotten an Academy Award for that performance especially at his age. Its on Netflix, Youtube charges for it. I had it mixed up with WaterWalk we watched last night on Youtube fro free, a true story about family.

Last edited:
Mine are millennials. Mostly I hear from them when they want something. I love em to death, but-...
tapatalk_1503703549185.jpeg

Latest posts

Back