Worst and best

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worst, the house is in a subdivision. A nice one, in a good area, but still a subdivision. Enough said.

Best, my shower. It is so big and so comfortable. I miss that shower every time I travel.

Worst is a developer bought the other side of the valley for $8M , cut down all of the trees and sold $80M worth of town house. Don't have $8M to stop it.

Best is enough gardens and orchards to keep me busy and close to my family.

Ben

What is the single worst thing about your current homestead? And why can't you change it?

What is the best thing about your homestead?
I live according to my land lady's rules, I'm too broke to move. I have a line of credit.

She never bothers me unless she's checking to see if I'm still alive. I can live as I see fit, save I bother no other.

Just stumbled upon this thread... great idea, FarmOR, and it's cool to see the responses! Very entertaining to this relative newcomer to the whole concept of homesteading, though I've spent much of my life in the field! Now, lemme think for a moment... and we ALL know how dangerous THAT can be, lol! :oops:

I could go on about the general weather here in the high desert, and the low cost of my home & property, not to mention property taxes between $100 to $120 per year, but instead I'll just go with the 'AMBIENCE' of my home and my 'hood! It is SO PEACEFUL here, and much of the subdivision consists of vacant lots or empty homes awaiting restoration! :)

Like LilMissy said, my home is extremely comfortable (as all my homes are, no matter where I live), and this nice quiet neighborhood is really a godsend after living in the Big City for so many decades. Granted, I had my time in the Arizona boondocks, but now those years are behind me, and I'm just happy to be where I am, ya know? ;)

Here I have enough room for me and my five cats, we have wild birds galore with beautiful singing in the trees, we have the trees themselves which are awesome, even if they're NOT Ponderosa Pines like I had in Show Low, and my views of the Sacramento Mountains are great, they remind me of heller bike rides I've already taken, and heller bike rides to come! :cool:

As for the worst aspect of my homestead, well, I dunno... we don't have any traffic, smog or crime to speak of here, but we DO have the occasional sonic boom from the jets flying out of Holloman AFB. Meh, small price to pay for the rest of the freedoms I enjoy, lol. Honestly, I think the worst aspect is this: because I got this home & property heller cheap, there's a lot of home rehab work to be done! :(

BUT... that work will eventually be done, and it will no longer matter, lol. I'd say the worst thing was dealing with the weeds, and especially those pesky goatheads, but those are also under control now, aye? So I dunno... maybe there is no "worst aspect!" Lol. Guess I'll just go with the sonic booms, they can be heller loud and shake the entire home, lol. Not as badly as the train in 'THE BLUES BROTHERS'---and the booms come & go quickly! Meh, let's go with the sonic booms, lol. :rolleyes:

P.S. Hey, Cascadian, do you need a license or permit during "tweeker season?" 😆

Worst: Due to family circumstances, I live in town, for now.

Best: I don't have to mow 3 and 1/2 acres of grass, or plow four foot high snow drifts out of a 250 yard long driveway any more. And, a brand new grocery store just opened up next door to me today. I'm looking forward to sampling what they've got behind the meat counter - and it only takes 90 seconds to walk to their door!

Worst: all our utilities are sub standard and it is a hassle just to do laundry. Our road is steep and washes out all the time . Son has to drive over an hour one way to college . Our fences are crap and need to be repaired all the time.

Best: everything else. We live on a mountain in a beautiful area and have good mostly Amish neighbors. We are not going to have a subdivision pop up here miles from nowhere. We have no rules on what animals we can have or anything else. People pretty much do as they wish, never seen any sort of government official here except once a census person. Any "Karen" would have an absolute fit living here

What is the single worst thing about your current homestead? And why can't you change it?
a) It Isn't one (just Land) and it's in Far-Northern California. b) Because it's In California. :rolleyes:
We're Not stuck In it, when even Northern California goes to hooey..

..but, *sigh* I sure Miss Our lil Chunk of Paradise.. :(

BOL-1.jpg
BOL-2.jpg
BOL-4.jpg
BOL-3.jpg
BOL-5.jpg
+_+

jd

The worst, close to town but in montana that means you have to drive 70 or more miles to the next place with a mcdonalds. More houses being built but we are on one acre and it's four blocks to trees and no roads.
The house built in 1979 with real wood came with two chimneys and pass thru wood boxes and 30 mature trees and a bunch of wild cherries the birds and bears love.
It's cold in the winter but the skiing is 20 miles away and summer thru fall are amazing.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbill rocks.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbill rocks.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 0
The worst, close to town but in montana that means you have to drive 70 or more miles to the next place with a mcdonalds. More houses being built but we are on one acre and it's four blocks to trees and no roads.
The house built in 1979 with real wood came with two chimneys and pass thru wood boxes and 30 mature trees and a bunch of wild cherries the birds and bears love.
It's cold in the winter but the skiing is 20 miles away and summer thru fall are amazing.
Who's the purple visitor? wrong angle and color for a lens flare.

yes Viking, the fitted stones also have a theory out there that they were poured in place. Makes some of the other megaliths a bit more believable as well.
Lots of good hide holes and ballistic protection for a parked motorhome or trailer.
www.montanamegaliths.com
We are applying for a guide permit from the forest service to take people on tours and as they say "the process is the punishment".

Worst: too close to the road, and traffic has doubled in the thirty years I've been here. Neighbor around the corner started a trucking business a few years ago and now it's jake braking trucks howling and growling all the time.
Best: Nearest neighbor is 200 yards away and is very nice. I have a greenhouse and plenty of growing space and nobody is in the way or minds when I target practice in the back yard.

Worst: I only have about 3-4 inches of good topsoil so I have to build raised beds.
Best: I'm a half-mile back in the woods down a dead-end dirt road that has no commuting traffic.

Attachments

• orb 1.jpg
    orb 1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 0
Worst: I only have about 3-4 inches of good topsoil so I have to build raised beds.
Best: I'm a half-mile back in the woods down a dead-end dirt road that has no commuting traffic.

Location is everything... ain't it nice, not having to deal with traffic near your home? I'm out on the SW edge of this rural subdivision, or close to the edge, with nothing but high desert beyond. There are a few homes actually on the edge, but traffic here is limited to those who live here, so it's very light, which is nice. Back in Coronado, we lived in the center of town, and daily traffic past our house was basically nonstop... ugh. I don't miss that BS, lol. 😒

Latest posts

Back