Would love to dig a well under my deck...in suburbia.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacitus

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wonder if I would need a permit to dig a well. That's a silly question, isn't it.

I have a deck along the back of my house, and a walk out basement under that. I could dig a well under there...but I would need commercial help.

Guess I could just call some rural well digging companies. It would cause quite a stir in the neighborhood, I bet. But, then people would move in and out, and forget about it.

I'd look up the oldest drilling company in the area, and chat them up on the phone for what they know. Sometimes the water rights are held by the City when they grant developers access to build & sell. Also, the quality of the water might not be good enough to use. A longtime well drilling company in the area might be very informative.

What type of soil do you have and how deep is the water table? A person could drive a well on the sly.

I thought about that. Alas, I fear the water table is too low for me. I live on high ground, and the ground can be rocky. It wouldn't be an easy dig. (At least I don't have to worry about flooding, being on high ground.)

There is undeveloped woods behind my house. Only a few homes would be able to see what I was doing if I was able to get a well digging company to come in and do the work. But, even letting those few neighbors know I prep is a risk, of course.

@SeventiesWreckers nailed it, first things first... Doing it covertly is way down the check list for initial planning.

Knowing the location of the water table is a must. If you live on a hill the water table might be 200ft down, no way to do that covertly.

As a kid I had an uncle who hand dug wells for a living. He used a hand crank winch, buckets, shovels and picks. There was a hook on the end of the winch rope which he would hang buckets on... ride up and down... until one day his foot slipped off the hook. Afterwards he sang tenor in the choir... :rolleyes:

You are over thinking it just go green. Tell the neighbors you are putting in some fancy new thermal cooling thinga majig to help heat and cool the house. If they see water comming out you could complain about how it is going to cost extra for them to shut that off. You just have to get past the city because they won't be fooled.

Aside from the depth of the water table… of equal importance… is the water potable? No point in drilling a 200ft hole to bad water.

Also, I’d check any EPA reports on your area, meaning your property wasn’t always a sub-division.

Example: A few years ago I noticed someone had bought an old pasture and was building a house… and drilling a well near a city.

As it happened, through my grandfather, I knew far more about the history of that pasture than the new owner. Thing is, that pasture wasn’t always a pasture, for almost 80 years it had been a cotton field. I remember it being a cottonfield.

That means for at least 50 years DDT had been dumped in that soil. Would I drill a well there… Nope! The USDA was very good at making sure all farmers around our nation used DDT and a host of other nasty chemicals on many types of crops. DDT was developed in 1874. It wasn't banned until 1972.

Food for thought!

Most cities will not allow a home owner to drill a water well on property within the city limits. Even the local farms here have a limited number of wells that can be dug. Most farms have less irrigated land than dry farm land. A well driller has to get a permit and won't drill without it. Surface water is rarely potable without treatment and even a shallow well is mostly surface water.
I would recommend you contact the city to see if it is allowed and then proceed from there. In my area a "normal" drinking water well costs in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 thousand dollars, They are not cheap.

...I would recommend you contact the city to see if it is allowed and then proceed from there. In my area a "normal" drinking water well costs in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 thousand dollars, They are not cheap.

I'd check with a local well driller first. Driller will know if legal and the depth of the water vein. If you check with the city first then you may have given them a reason to check up on you later.

My cousin used to work for a dewatering company. IF the water table was shallow they had well points on a 3/4" pipe. They put a large pump on the pipe, opened the valve, and pushed the pipe into the ground. They would then reverse the pump and suck the water out of the ground. If your water table was fairly shallow this might work for you.

Option two, rent a small backhoe, dig a hole past the water level, put some washed gravel in the bottom, stand a piece of culvert, backfill around the outside, build your deck.

The county should know the water table depth, as should any well drillers, the college extension office, or your county may have that information on a website.

Another option is to build a concrete "foundation" for your deck. Pour a concrete floor or buy a liner and collect rain water.

@Tacitus see what council regs are. If you have water get a water diviner in to check where it is first which saves digging multiple holes with no water.

If the water is not potable you can get a reverse osmosis system with filters to make the water potable. You could just dig a bore and have the motor run with a solar motor which is what we are going to do here.

Aquifers that lie deep under the "burbs" of many major cities can be permanently contaminated to highly toxic levels well in advance of the "burbs" even being built. In cases where agricultural land use is not the source of deep aquifer contamination the answer lies elsewhere. The mechanism at work is simple, direct, and very easy to understand. It works like this.

As cities build out & expand, building materials such as Rock, Sand, & Gravel are a basic requirement to make asphalt & concrete. Material pits were usually initially located out on the fringes of developed areas to keep cartage costs low, and pit usage continued as the urban sprawl eclipsed them. They were dug out to the leased, or owned boundaries, and went down in terraces much like an open pit mine. At some point digging into ground water was inevitable, and when they reached that depth, the usefulness as a Rock, Sand, & Gravel material source ended. At that point, material pits were retasked as "dumps", or landfills. Prior to the 1980's there were very few restrictions on either the Commercial, or Private sector with regard as to what any individual, or business could haul to the local dump. There was an amazing lack of foresight, and about the only thing that didn't get dumped locally was nuclear waste. Once they got filled back up with the worst stuff known to exist, they were topped off with some fill dirt, & declared Real Estate again. They were actually great methane generators, and full of surprises for anyone foolish enough to build on top of them. And all the time leaching their toxic load directly into the groundwater they have breached at their bottom.

Southern California is a good example of how massive this problem can be. The aquifer that lies under The San Fernando Valley was deemed too contaminated for use by the end of the Second World War. And since there were dozens of material pits retasked as dumps after the end of the war, the problem of remediation has been bigger than any solutions yet proposed. The former pits are still draining toxins into the groundwater today.

Technology might be up to a remediation attempt though. There was an article last year that announced a project that's aimed at reclaiming So Cals lost aquifer resources. Best of luck to them, but I have my doubts. Good article though. Most people I grew up with didn't have a clue there was even water down there, much less that it was poisoned. Here's a link to the article. And a pic of a wellhead at the corner of Vanowen & Laurel Grove in North Hollywood. It was painted green when I was a kid, no fence around it then, just a bike rack for the library. There are wellheads all over the valley, & I guess they use them to take samples from time to time. Wishful thinking at it's finest.

patch.com/california/studiocity/massive-project-aims-clean-valleys-contaminated-groundwater

Wellhead.JPG

Latest posts

Back