Yellow Caterpillars on New Apple Trees

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankful_k

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I live in far north central Texas. I have started an orchard with 10 fruit trees:
4 Honeycrisp Apple
2 Gala Apple
2 Pear (forget the names)
2 Au Rosa Plums

These trees have been in the ground about a month, and are about 3-5 feet high.

Today I noticed some (3 or 5) little 1" yellow caterpillars with orange eyes on the Galas, and the leaves were withered and eaten somewhat. I found a couple on the others, but not as many. I went around and flicked all the caterpillars off that I found, but I'm wondering what to do to control them. Any thoughts?

P.S. I'd rather not use synthetic chemicals. Natural/Organic/Non-toxic methods preferred

I know nothing about apple trees but until recently I had 200 peach trees and produced 8tons a year.

Most commercial insecticides are broad spectrum. However, the best way to avoid using them is to know your problem insect. In your case this yellow caterpillar.

Every species on this planet has weaknesses that can be exploited. Learn everything you can about the little nasty then attack its weaknesses individually.

For example, I had a nasty little grape moth attack my porch plants (medicines). Which I grew as naturally as possible.

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth was my first go to. Might have helped a little but wasn't enough.

Then I thought... "moth to a flame". Before going to bed I'd light and set little tea candles by the plants (4 or 5 candles). The moths killed themselves flying into the flame. The first couple of nights they killed so many the moths would put out the candles. In a few days my problem was solved.

Find out the weaknesses of your caterpillar then use it against them.

Last edited:
I live in far north central Texas. I have started an orchard with 10 fruit trees:
4 Honeycrisp Apple
2 Gala Apple
2 Pear (forget the names)
2 Au Rosa Plums

These trees have been in the ground about a month, and are about 3-5 feet high.

Today I noticed some (3 or 5) little 1" yellow caterpillars with orange eyes on the Galas, and the leaves were withered and eaten somewhat. I found a couple on the others, but not as many. I went around and flicked all the caterpillars off that I found, but I'm wondering what to do to control them. Any thoughts?

P.S. I'd rather not use synthetic chemicals. Natural/Organic/Non-toxic methods preferred
Spray them with citric acid and sour their lunch.

Texas A&M Ag Extension caterpillars
I seen about 2/3 of these caterpillars.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back