1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Root

Discussion in 'Natural Remedies' started by Peanut, Mar 2, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 2, 2018 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Xanthorhiza simplicissima – It grows in the Appalachia. Its plentiful from West Virginia/Virginia south to Alabama. The USDA says it grows in a few places in NY and Maine.

It has a well-known cousin called Golden Seal (Hydrastis canadensis). The southern yellow root if far gentler as a medicine than Golden Seal. Both are in a group of medicinal plants referred to as the “Berberines”. Barberry in the genus “Berberis” is another member of that group as well as the common landscaping shrub Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium). All 4 plants contain “Berberine”.

The words of Tommie Bass… “Why partner, if I had to pick just one herb in the word good for the ulcers, it would be the yellow root. It’s the most wonderful thing in the world for stomach ulcers, ulcers in the mouth, and even those hernias you get in the chest. There just isn’t anything that it isn’t good for.”

Yellow root was the corner stone of Tommie’s medicines. He used it to treat “a wide range of ailments such as liver disorders, blood pressure problems, diabetes and, of course, stomach ulcers. There were very few ailments for which yellow root was not the cure and at the very least it was an important ingredient in a variety of other tonics.”

A close second to yellow root is the inner bark of the american persimmon tree (Diospyros virginiana). Not many folks know about all the uses for persimmon bark.

I harvest yellow root in late summer/early fall. I don’t harvest the whole plant, no point, that kills the plant. I cut it off about an inch above the ground and it will put back up the next spring.

I took these pics today. Yellow root is already blooming, a bit early I think.

yellow root (1)_v1.jpg yellow root (2)_v1.jpg

2. Oct 25, 2019 #2

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Here is a collection of yellowroot photos I’ve taken over the last few years and even today. They are from early spring to late fall. It should give everyone a good grasp of what the plant looks like during its yearly growth cycle.

In the 4th pic (2nd one on the tailgate) I scraped the bark on the stems for a reason… You can see the yellow inner bark clearly, an indicator of its identity. Most of the leaves in pic 2 are yellowroot but a few aren't and not the white blooms. See the first post in this thread to see yellowroot blooms.

Last is yellowroot tea I made. These days I make tincture (I will post photos next time I make some). The year I first used yellowroot I needed it quickly, didn’t have a month to wait on a tincture. So I made tea the same day I harvested it.

My first mistake was not adding honey to the tea. The tea is extremely astringent, meaning so bitter it curled my nose hair, just joking but not about how bitter it is.

I make tea in a 2 quart pot… water and a full measuring cup of chopped yellowroot, stems, and leaves (I toss out dead leaves). I bring it to a boil then let it simmer slowly about 20 to 25 minutes. As soon as I bring it off the stove and the tea is still hot I add 2 to 4 tablespoons of honey, 2 is usually enough for me but I'm used to it… (honey to taste for you).

I drink a big cup as soon as it’s cool enough and put the rest in the fridge. I have a cup a day until it’s gone… It’s really good for upper GI issues.

Yellowroot will kill “H. pylori” which many in modern medicine say causes stomach ulcers…

Yellowroot is actually much more complicated than that. It’s good for the whole GI tract, clears up many issues. It’s also excellent on upper respiratory problems, bronchitis, sinus infections, colds & flu. Its excellent of skin issues like boils, fantastic for gum blisters and ulcers.

It's actually one of the most versatile medicinal plants in North America. The list of things it can help with seems endless.

The books I posted here cover all of it…

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/

*Caution - it can cause uterine constrictions* It's not recommended for pregnant ladies.

Yellowroot oct19 (1).jpg Yellowroot oct19 (2).jpg Yellowroot oct19 (3).jpg Yellowroot oct19 (4).jpg Yellowroot oct19 (5).jpg Yellowroot oct19 (6).jpg Yellowroot oct19 (7).jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  3. Oct 25, 2019 #3

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain Neighbor

Another interesting property of yellowroot is the berberine content, which has been shown to be a valuable adjunct therapy to antibiotics in the treatment of MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphyloccus aureus). Yellowroot has considerably more berberine than goldenseal and unlike goldenseal, it contains no hydrastine which is good news for those who are on high blood pressure meds. (Hydrastine is vasoconstrictive and may interfere with antihypertensive drugs).

By the way, berberine in yellowroot and goldenseal will inhibit the anticoagulant effects of heparin and possibly other similar drugs that prevent blood clotting. So if you are on "blood thinner" meds you may want to go easy on these herbs.

4. Oct 25, 2019 #4

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

Can you give us a close up picture of yellow root?
    I may have some on the farm.

Jim

Bacpacker, Patchouli and Peanut like this.
  5. Oct 25, 2019 #5

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

Never mind, the pics just now loaded.
    :ghostly:

Jim

Patchouli and Peanut like this.
  6. Oct 25, 2019 #6

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Here are a few pics of harvesting yellowroot and one of processed yellowroot ready for tincture. I use what ever tool processes plant material the best. In this case kitchen meat sheers was fine for leaves and small branches as well as cutting the stems while harvesting. A pair of dikes or side cutters is perfect for cutting the tougher stems into small pieces. Dikes come in different sizes. I've used bolt cutters on big tough roots like poke sallet. Note * the box cutters are there for size reference only.

The amount of processed yellowroot was 12.2 ounces, just over 1 and a half pints. The books I've posted in the library are written by experts in this field. They have written in great detail the many and various ways to make tinctures. I highly recommend purchasing one or several of the books if you wish to learn to make your own tinctures.

Before anyone claims I'm homophobic... Diagonal side cutters, cutting tool, shortened in electrical work to Diags or Dikes.

Creek Bucket (1)_v1.jpg Creek Bucket (2)_v1.jpg Creek Bucket (3)_v2.jpg Yellowroot tincture 864 x _v1.jpg

7. Oct 26, 2019 #7

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Question: can I tincture yellowroot from dried material, or does it have to be fresh?

Bacpacker likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2019 #8

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

I've made tincture and tea this late in the year... can still taste the medicine in the browning leaves. If they get much dryer the flavor is gone. That said the stem stays viable through the winter.

I can't answer your question directly because I've never made tincture or tea from completely dried stem and leaf.

But I know who to ask! ;)

Bacpacker likes this.
  9. Oct 26, 2019 #9

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Yes, please do ask. If possible, I would like to be able to harvest the green material and carefully dry it for tincturing later. (I didn't mean dried on the plant, but to harvest it green, then dry it.)

Bacpacker and Peanut like this.
  10. Oct 26, 2019 #10

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

@Grizzleyette___Adams Gotcha! I need to give Darryl a call anyway. I feel so much better than I have in 2 or 3 years... I want to do some mushroom hunting with darryl this winter. I never studied mushrooms though I take loins mane tincture almost daily...

Mushroom season is at the door!

11. Oct 30, 2019 #11

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

@Grizzleyette___Adams Talked to Darryl today... caught him trying to fix leaky chimney flashing in a rain storm... Too funny... Maybe my pointing out that the leak would stop when the rain did was over the top...:p

He said because of the drought mushroom hunting will be later this year like everything else this fall... Probably January.

Oh... treat dried yellowroot just like any dry plant/root tincture is fine, no difference. ;)

Bacpacker likes this.
  12. Oct 31, 2019 #12

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

@Peanut, that's good to know about the yellowroot, thanks. I just found it odd that such a useful plant is not more widely available for sale, dried (or in any form)! I really, really want to grow this on my property. There is a spot that I think it will be very happy to live in. Moist rich soil, too.

LOL @ your funny observations about leaky flashings.

Mushrooms...I love a good fresh flush of Oyster mushrooms! One of my favorites.

Bacpacker and Peanut like this.
  13. Oct 31, 2019 #13

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Another yellowroot with berberine, Golden Seal aka Hydrastis canadensis, has been hunted to the point of extinction in the wild. It's only grown commercially now, mostly by the Chinese.

For the most part folks in Appalachia carefully guard the locations of Xanthorhiza simplicissima. I cleaned any gps or other info from any photo I've posted of it. We don't want to see what happened to it what happened to the other yellowroot. I've never seen it for sale and don't expect to. There are actually only a few people who really understand how different it is from the other berberines and how best to use it. So the market is actually tiny and they have their own personal sources.

It's really easy to transplant, a very hardy plant. A neighbor was with me several years ago. He just ripped a plant out of the ground and stuck it in a pot on his porch. Now he has a porch full! No fuss, no muss!

The trick is the atmosphere/humidity and temperature range. Dry climates like the Rockies or other places out west... I don't see it growing naturally.

14. Oct 31, 2019 #14

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Grizzleyette___Adams

Although my thumb is pretty green, and I would baby my lil' yaller roots if needed, I am SO glad to learn that it is not fussy to transplant.

I daresay that by the time I croak, my property will be like a botanical museum for all the transplants that I've brought in and naturalized here over the past two decades.

Peanut and Bacpacker like this.