Your Preps Library

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of book's that I read as a young boy that inspired me at an early age to prep and be self-sufficient was My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George and Rascal by Sterling North. These two kids books had a big impact on me at an early age that I think helped define who I am today. I highly recommend both books to any young boy to read.
Another important book that l got as a pre teen was Wildwood Wisdom. Which I passed down to my son and he just passed on to his son.

A couple of book's that I read as a young boy that inspired me at an early age to prep and be self-sufficient was My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George and Rascal by Sterling North. These two kids books had a big impact on me at an early age that I think helped define who I am today. I highly recommend both books to any young boy to read.
Another important book that l got as a pre teen was Wildwood Wisdom. Which I passed down to my son and he just passed on to his son.

I have Wildwood Wisdom and it is a very good book, I'll put the two books you mentioned on my wants list :)

Added:
+the practical camp cook

This book covers a lot of topics not just cooking. It goes from building fires to trapping to skinning to foraging to cooking it all to equipment, it includes recipes with pictures throughout the book. It's an 30yr old book I say is a must have for the library. I found this in the stables office though don't remember ever purchasing it... age I'm thinking.

I got a few new books last week to add to my collection:

Build a Smokehouse by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design by Stanley, Adam and Robert Marianski

Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Foraging the Rocky Mountains by Liz Brown Morgan

The Complete Book of Tanning Skins and Furs by James Churchill

The Backyard Tanner by Mike Culbertson

A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F. Eastman Jr.

And for entertainment purposes Volume IV of The Adventures of Lew and Charlie by Maurice Decker bought through Fur-Fish-Game magazine (been a subscriber for close to 45 years)

I got a few new books last week to add to my collection:

Build a Smokehouse by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design by Stanley, Adam and Robert Marianski

Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt by A Story Wisdom Bulletin

Foraging the Rocky Mountains by Liz Brown Morgan

The Complete Book of Tanning Skins and Furs by James Churchill

The Backyard Tanner by Mike Culbertson

A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F. Eastman Jr.

And for entertainment purposes Volume IV of The Adventures of Lew and Charlie by Maurice Decker bought through Fur-Fish-Game magazine (been a subscriber for close to 45 years)

I like the storey country wisdom bulletin series, they short and to the point, i'll have to get the 'Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt' and 'The Backyard Tanner'

I like the storey country wisdom bulletin series, they short and to the point, i'll have to get the 'Making Cheese, Butter & Yogurt' and 'The Backyard Tanner'
Same here. They have several more Bulletins that I plan on getting. This spring my top building project, besides the house and shop and chicken coop, is going to be a 16x20 tanning/fur shed.

Added: the bushcraft field guide to trapping, gathering, and cooking in the wild

I'm not overly familiar with the author though this book has some good information. Some are of similar info that's found in many books and the internet and some are not, a good book for the library though.

Four books come in today for the library.

Added:
+nuclear war survival skills (upgraded 2012 edition)
+prepper's survival medicine handbook
+U.S. air force survival handbook
+LDS preparedness manual, v8, 2012 edition

Last edited:
Here is some basic edible plants, a good idea would be to organize a list like this for your area and print it out, then maybe laminate it for use in foraging. Im making one for each family member.

https://www.fix.com/blog/urban-foraging/
That's a really good idea. I have one book on edible plants in my area. I'd like to get another one on medicinal plants for my area too.

Added:

+grow or die: the good guide to survival gardening
+the pantry primer: a prepper's guide to whole food on a half-price budget
+pocket field guide: survival book of lists

The "pocket field guide: survival book of lists" is really a handy little $7 book and recommended for new preppers and one for experience preppers bookshelf. It pretty much tells where to find needed items, here's the introduction;

Clipboard01.jpg

Link:
https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Field...ds=pocket+field+guide:+survival+book+of+lists

Latest posts

Back