Your thoughts on "Prudent" tools for storing & holding post SHTF value.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not give us an example of what your process would be (or would have been)? Then, maybe we'd have a better idea of what exactly you're asking.
Great idea, and "THAT" is exactly why I have already done that in several of my posts in this thread. Including the very first post.

The "common" knowledge base exits between all members here and myself. The problem is people "loathe" thinking. So rather then carefully read, their brain instantly locks onto one of the words. They unconsciously focus onto a word or set of words, then rocket forward.

Even though I several times stated this is not about a "THING"

Not about a savings account, securities, gold, hand tools, getting cosmetic surgery, etc. That is where nearly all replies defaulted too. A thing or a priority, not to the process.

The thread is about a process that each person uses. People should "REREAD" post #12
NO, the common knowledge is WHAT YOU THINK WE SHOULD know vs what we do.

I would not survive in Alaska, pretty sure you have no experience in a high density urban environment in 2024.

Pretty much, we remain the same. WE HAVE NO COMMON GROUND.

I would not survive in Alaska, pretty sure you have no experience in a high density urban environment.

SOOOO, improvise adapt and overcome, or not, the choice is yours, always

I would think we have all had some stored value available.

Maybe you are correct. I simply can't grasp that everyone on this forum has their "entire" life always lived beyond their means (income).

Not one person ever lived with-in their income.......???

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb
Maybe you are correct. I simply can't grasp that everyone on this forum has their "entire" life always lived beyond their means (income).

Frankly, you reply completely evades the post. ALL my debts are a paid in full, EVERY month.

EXACTLY HOW, have you determined MY means?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me try this. If forum member @Supervisor42 and myself each next week came into $300,000.00 that we each had not expected.

Would we both have the "exact" same priorities for that $300,000.00 if we had "ZERO" need currently for that "chunk of current value".

This is just a very-very-very "wild" guess. He might say for him the priority would be to "GROW" (invest) that value into much larger value for some future application.

I however would prioritize the safety and security of the chunk of value, even if the inflation rate was 43%. Even if core inflation was 39%. I would take zero risk with that chunk of current "liquid" value.

Last edited:
Let me try this. If forum member @Supervisor42 and myself each next week came into $300,000.00 that we each was not expected.

Would we both have the "exact" same priorities for that $300,000.00 if we had "ZERO" need currently for that "chunk of value".

This is just a very-very-very "wild" guess. He might say for him the priority would be to "GROW" (invest) that value into much larger value for some future application.

I however would prioritize the safety and security of the chunk of value, even if the inflation rate was 43%. Even if core inflation was 39%. I would take zero risk with that chunk of current "liquid" value.
Well, you got it almost right.
I would not 'grow' it.
Yes, I would invest it in 'near-zero' risk stuff, never touching the original part, and live quite well on the income it would provide. ($24,000 per year) That sound ok?
I would not "park" it in a 'completely-safe' place, live in poverty, and watch inflation slowly corrode it away while hoping that I live to 100. :(

The Princess and I live within our means.

I have been debt-free for almost 40 years now.

Nuff said

Ben

Well, you got it almost right.
I would not 'grow' it.
Yes, I would invest it in 'near-zero' risk stuff, never touching the original part, and live quite well on the income it would provide. ($24,000 per year) That sound ok?
I would not "park" it in a 'completely-safe' place, live in poverty, and watch inflation slowly corrode it away while hoping that I live to 100. :(
We have a fiduciary advisor that has done a good job of growing our investments. We have phone meeting once a week to discuss financial concerns.

Ben

Let me try this. If forum member @Supervisor42 and myself each next week came into $300,000.00 that we each had not expected.

Would we both have the "exact" same priorities for that $300,000.00 if we had "ZERO" need currently for that "chunk of current value".

I really already know I won't get an answer.

People with REAL questions just get ignored.

WHY don't your tell us what you REALLY mean?

Your questions have NO meaning, not context and no basis in an actual reality, other than yours.

The Princess and I live within our means.

I have been debt-free for almost 40 years now.

Nuff said

Ben
Guess what that means you and I have some "Common Knowledge". We have both had to go through a decision process (at least occasionally) in evaluating our current value (might be gold, silver, cash, stocks, bonds, foreign currencies, etc.).

This "process" was the goal of this thread........."NOT" the resulting chosen store of value.

I really already know I won't get an answer.

People with REAL questions just get ignored.

WHY don't your tell us what you REALLY mean?

Your questions have NO meaning, not context and no basis in an actual reality, other than yours.
Have ever had money (also known as current value or current assets) to place somewhere for future use or future need......???

If you did. Was the goal constant, or as you aged did your priorities shift....??

I politely invite you to reread every post I made in this thread "CAREFULLY", then tell me you are totally bewildered, as to the threads subject.

We have a fiduciary advisor that has done a good job of growing our investments. We have phone meeting once a week to discuss financial concerns.

Ben
Yes. I couldn't even burn an extra $24K/year, so the excess would go into "compounding" the original amount.
I just love the idea of: 'the bigger it gets, the faster it gets bigger':D.
Unused dividends give birth to their own dividends just 3 months later, and those dividends beget more dividends..., ...

Last edited:
I politely invite you to reread every post I made in this thread "CAREFULLY", then tell me you are totally bewildered, as to the threads subject.

I gotta say, I don't know what the issue is, but I find most of your posts, incomprehensible. Not that it's any of my business, but I've wondered for a while where you fall on the autism spectrum.

Which is a feat in itself...because your spelling and grammar are fine....but you have mastered the art of not saying anything....very clearly. Sometimes I get the feeling that you forget to write half your posts, and then get frustrated when people haven't read them.

But hey, what the hell, I will try to answer your question, although I don't really understand it.

My greatest priority is that its something universally needed. As in its not 'nice' to have.....you literally die without it, therefore I can set the price as high as the market can bear.

Second, is that it has an extremely high ROI......that is, I can buy it for almost nothing currently, but in SHTF its value is thousands of times higher. And not in a theorectical sense, like art that in theory is valuable because it couldn't be made again....but valuable in the way......Salt ;) is valuable.

Third, it does not ever expire. No market timing is needed, and because of the ROI requirement, there is very low risk even if the market NEVER develops.

Last edited:
I will politely invite your to contact my wealth manager.
He's old, so he gets a pass in my book.
I do my best to cobble together what he may be asking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you lock the thread, I am curious, did no one understand my objective. No one......???
Vanity[a] of vanities, says the Preacher,
vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
3 What does man gain by all the toil
at which he toils under the sun?
4 A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.

Ben

Latest posts

Back