101 Asians Dishes You Need to Cook Before You Die by Jet Tila

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Jet Tila.jpg
I could live off fried rice, love the stuff. The bad part is I’ve never known how to make fried rice or any Asian dish at home. I watch cooking shows sometimes. There is a guy I’ve seen cook several times, then I heard he had a book out.

This is a great book. The recipes are easy to follow. He even teaches how to make many Asian sauces and stocks. I got this book a few months ago and now my fried rice is better than many restaurants I’ve eaten at. My hot and sour and egg drop soups are way better and so easy to make!

The chef is Jet Tila, his family opened the first Thai restaurant in the US many years ago. The recipes are Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and a few others. I got my copy on amazon.

Last edited:
View attachment 2992 I could live off fried rice, love the stuff. The bad part is I’ve never know how to make fried rice or any Asian dish at home. I watch cooking shows sometimes. There is a guy I’ve seen cook several times, then I heard he had a book out.

This is a great book. The recipes are easy to follow. He even teaches how to make many Asian sauces and stock. I got this book a few months ago and now my fried rice is better than many restaurants I’ve eaten at. My hot and sour and egg drop soups are way better and so easy to make!

The chef is Jet Tila, his family opened the first Thai restaurant in the US many years ago. The recipes are Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and a few others. I got my copy on amazon.
I love lots of Asian food, but I am staying away from rice and noodles, and other carbs. We could add or share some of the recipes that we use. I used to have lots of Chinese friends in college, and learned to cook egg rolls, wonton, wonton soup. I don't cook any of these very often any more, but I appreciate knowing how.

Could you put the recipes in the cooking area.? I'd love for you do to so.
(and I went and purchased a paperback version of this. Usually I do everything via kindle).

There was a time in my life that I would have bought the book, but I am in purge mode. I also had more than one tall bookshelf full of just cookbooks. I maybe have a dozen cookbooks now, as I continue to purge. The recipes that I want to keep are the ones that go on my blog. When I go through a book and find what I want, I either sell the book online or donate it. A couple books that I recently got rid of were Chinese cooking (1001 Recipes) and Asian cooking. I am finding I go online when I am looking for a recipe.

I usually do Kindle as it's very portable and I can carry 3,500 books in one hand. But this one, I thought might be nice to have in case. I think it's the first tangible book I've bought since getting my kindle 2 or 3 years ago and I go through books. I love having most of them with me at all time (phone has a kindle app, too).

I've been going through my books too. After I finally received the cook books my Grandmother left me I found that I had several duplicates. Gave my copies to a friend and then, I'll have to admit, I smugly pointed out to my sister that our Grandmother had the same "crazy prepper cook from scratch" cookbooks she always made fun of me for having.

Now I just have to tackle my Star Wars and Louis LAmour books and get rid of the duplicates. I know I have some.

I remember my Mom making fried rice the first time.
Being from Arkansas she naturally fried it like she did potatoes.
Put grease in a skillet and add uncooked rice.
Fry till brown.
It was like metal fillings.
The neighbor lady was over the next day and mom asked her about it.
I thought that very larger Hawaiian lady was going to have a heart attack from laughing.
She did teach my mom how to cook fried rice so it all worked out.
Asian food is my very favorite.
I could eat it every day. I have several Asian cook books and there are a ton of YouTube videos.

I make Asian food all the time: I just make less rice to go with it.

I will see if I can get a reduced price copy of the book, as our library does not have it.

HA! He has all kinds of recipes on youtube!!!!!!!!!!

I am a cookbook a holic: I try very hard not to buy another one!

Last edited:
There is something else I really liked about this book, very helpful. There is a section in the front on “Shopping and Ingredients”. Where to find authentic ingredients to get the flavors the dishes are supposed to have. Things like tamarind, palm sugar and Sriracha. For those of us who grow our own peppers there is a sauce section and a recipe for making our own Sriracha among other things.
Sriracha.jpg

Mr Tila has a unique writing style and strong opinions about flavors. On Sriracha he says (paraphrase) “That stuff at the store with the green lid and a rooster on the front is not real Sriracha. Sriracha is a town in Thailand. Sriracha is made from peppers of that region”.

The Asian market near me had “real sriracha” from Thailand. I tried a small bottle. I then went back and bought a big bottle. It is a different flavor than the stuff with the green lid and makes a difference in the dishes. Depending on my pepper crop I will be trying to make my own this summer.

Also, I didn’t even know there was more than one kind of soy sauce. There several different soys used in Chinese dishes. The soy sauce in Thailand is also very different. There it is usually called “Maggi Sauce”. The Asian market near me is very good. They have had everything I have shopped for in stock.

Last edited:
Looks like a great cookbook! I am a huge fan of Chinese and Vietnamese food. I can't do spicy - I get heartburn even thinking about Sriracha - but I live making Vietnamese spring rolls. There is a restaurant in Texas we used to go to that served a meal called Ba Bo Mon (7 courses of beef) and I've learned to make most of the courses. We even got a hot pot so we could make the course where you put the raw beef into the hot stock. Mmmm.... now I am getting hungry just thinking about it! Whenever we go to Texas, we have to stop at the Vietnamese grocery stores in Arlington to stock up on ingredients like rice paper and rice vermicelli - oh, and the good nuoc mam.

Looks like a great cookbook! I am a huge fan of Chinese and Vietnamese food. I can't do spicy - I get heartburn even thinking about Sriracha - but I live making Vietnamese spring rolls. There is a restaurant in Texas we used to go to that served a meal called Ba Bo Mon (7 courses of beef) and I've learned to make most of the courses. We even got a hot pot so we could make the course where you put the raw beef into the hot stock. Mmmm.... now I am getting hungry just thinking about it! Whenever we go to Texas, we have to stop at the Vietnamese grocery stores in Arlington to stock up on ingredients like rice paper and rice vermicelli - oh, and the good nuoc mam.

One of my favorite meals is pho. It is another thing I don't eat often because of the carbs, but it is so delicious and satisfying.

@DrPrepper @Weedygarden There are several Vietnamese recipes including 3 different ones for “Pho”.

@Angie Books are almost holy for me. Poor and very rural as a child, books were my escape. By the time I was 10 I had a 300-book library, drove my parents nuts! I now have over 3000 books, can’t go anywhere in my house where there isn’t a bookcase, except the bathroom, not enough space. ;)

I was born with the natural ability to speed read. I didn’t know until recently that it runs in my family. In the 3rd grade a teacher paddled me for lying. I wasn’t lying, I had finished the reading assignment way before the other kids. I hid this ability. In the 11th grade a teacher (and very smart lady) discovered my secret. She tested me. I read over 900 words per minute with full comprehension.

My mother worked for the school system. On Friday afternoons she had her hair done and would thankfully drop me at the county library. By the time I was 15 I read every book they had.

Now I’m old, disabled and have cataracts, I read a lot slower. :cry:

When I was little a man I knew used to say "The day you stop learning is the day you start dying" "Books are the key". I took him seriously.

@DrPrepper @Weedygarden There are several Vietnamese recipes including 3 different ones for “Pho”.

@Angie Books are almost holy for me. Poor and very rural as a child, books were my escape. By the time I was 10 I had a 300-book library, drove my parents nuts! I now have over 3000 books, can’t go anywhere in my house where there isn’t a bookcase, except the bathroom, not enough space. ;)

I was born with the natural ability to speed read. I didn’t know until recently that it runs in my family. In the 3rd grade a teacher paddled me for lying. I wasn’t lying, I had finished the reading assignment way before the other kids. I hid this ability. In the 11th grade a teacher (and very smart lady) discovered my secret. She tested me. I read over 900 words per minute with full comprehension.

My mother worked for the school system. On Friday afternoons she had her hair done and would thankfully drop me at the county library. By the time I was 15 I read every book they had.

Now I’m old, disabled and have cataracts, I read a lot slower. :cry:

When I was little a man I knew used to say "The day you stop learning is the day you start dying" "Books are the key". I took him seriously.
That is quite a natural talent.

You had the speed reading naturally, wow. I've always read pretty fast, but nothing like that. But I did take the Evelyn Wood speed reading course many years ago. I got near 800 (I think) and had a good comprehension, etc. So, when reading for fun, I usually go natural speed. When I want to get it done, I start using Speed reading techniques.

I'm sorry your teacher didn't believe you.

Latest posts

Back