2024 Plans

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise we will pay off the mortgage on our house in early '24. We will be breathing a little easier without that debt. Other than that it will be business as usual.

Good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise we will pay off the mortgage on our house in early '24. We will be breathing a little easier without that debt. Other than that it will be business as usual.
I will pay off my Truck, & tractor in about that time.

I always make and revise my to do list..and to get list..the goal is by the time I retire I want to have as much done and/or have the stuff on hand to get it done.
That's the idea ..it is always changing and being revised.
I want to get my greenhouse up I've had for years now this spring..and..big purchase will be a log splitter and a utility trailer plus a another man door for the barn/shop and two new windows for the shop/barn if I can ..
Save save save...

I always make and revise my to do list..and to get list..the goal is by the time I retire I want to have as much done and/or have the stuff on hand to get it done.
That's the idea ..it is always changing and being revised.
I want to get my greenhouse up I've had for years now this spring..and..big purchase will be a log splitter and a utility trailer plus a another man door for the barn/shop and two new windows for the shop/barn if I can ..
Save save save...
Same here. I've got list for different stuff. To the point I am working toward having a notebook for various topics to keep a list going. Then can refer back and see when I did or got what. Try to make life easier where I can. I do the same at work. Each projects info is kept separately. My notes run together otherwise

Same here. I've got list for different stuff. To the point I am working toward having a notebook for various topics to keep a list going. Then can refer back and see when I did or got what. Try to make life easier where I can. I do the same at work. Each projects info is kept separately. My notes run together otherwise
Our brains must work alike in this way..I started different notebooks so I can keep everything straight, otherwise I'm scattered all over and have to thumb through different notebooks to find a bit of info..

Yep. I've already started my list.

1. Add a 12'×36' room on the barn
2. Add solar lights to the chicken coop
3. Add a 10'×32' extension to the rear deck on the house
4. Add about 2 more miles of new fencing
5. Clear about 20 acres of ground
6. Start replacing corner posts
7. Replace about a 1/4 mile of fence that burned up in the fire this summer
8. Build a new 12×16 storage shed

More stuff will be added between now and spring.

Yep. I've already started my list.

1. Add a 12'×36' room on the barn
2. Add solar lights to the chicken coop
3. Add a 10'×32' extension to the rear deck on the house
4. Add about 2 more miles of new fencing
5. Clear about 20 acres of ground
6. Start replacing corner posts
7. Replace about a 1/4 mile of fence that burned up in the fire this summer
8. Build a new 12×16 storage shed

More stuff will be added between now and spring.
Thought you did a back deck this summer?

We’ve been doing things all year.
We ordered a Bison hand pump to put on our well, (very $$$ what’s the peace of mind is worth it)
we expanded our kitchen garden by approximately 3000 ft.² and
added 21 new blueberry bushes,
got a new dog (rescue puppy) that will be more of a guard dog than are beautiful friendly black lab was who died last year. New guy is 1/2 pit - 1/2 German shepherd. Very challenging to train but oh is he smart!

My husband has essential tremors which can go further if you really overdo it. He’s been cutting wood for our indoor woodstove which can heat our entire house for the 12 years we’ve been here. He’s got to stop. Although he has all the best equipment I don’t want him making it worse and there’s lots of information on that thing you can make it worse.

So we ordered 3 to 5 cords of hardwood. Cut to fit our woodstove and delivered.
The first 2 cords come tomorrow. Guy says oak.
Great price $225 delivered per cord and we only burn about 1.5 - 2 max/year here since the house is “aggressively” passive solar.
We don’t need seasoned wood as we have plenty to get through this winter in into next fall.
So we told the guy we can take it no matter how green it is.
He’s worked for two friends of ours and so apparently is reliable. He also can work as a handyman they said. I’m hoping this works out as we have a bunch a little stuff we need done and we are not handy…

I’m also canned a lot more this year buying all the sale meat I can find.
Bought the Presto digital electric canner to add to my to Nesco electric canners. I haven’t had the guts to use it yet but I will.

We’ve been slowly doubling stocking up almost everything we actually need and can’t produce. It’s getting to be a habit so we don’t forget something important. We live in the middle of nowhere with a Walmart 45 minutes away.

This year and last year we replaced all of our 12 year old appliances in the house. We now have 3 upright deep freezers, and all the regular appliances. Just replaced our washer and dryer as they were starting to go. No high-end anything, just basic appliances.
All of these were plan purchases and budgeted for. We haven’t taken any big expensive vacations in a couple years. We usually do one splurge every 10 years but I don’t think we’ll do another one anytime soon.

What? We're supposed to plan this stuff? Whoa ~ how do I get off this ride 😂

Not specifically planning for 2024; however, fully aware of 2024 as we proceed towards our goals.
I like to have a few big goals; everything else is winging it :D

Thought you did a back deck this summer?
I put a roof over the existing back deck. Didn’t have time to start on the deck extension.
20231210_100527.jpg

Latest posts

Back