A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
255932478_371167854804261_6623895035220154619_n.jpg

Heres the ad from the 70's, but I added the recipe afterwards and the link to the website I got the recipe from. You don't have to use 4 different flavors like the recipe says. You can use just 1 or 2. Doesn't matter. I imagine if you use just one flavor you add the whole box.

Jell-O-fruity-cookie-recipe.jpg

How to Make Jell-O Cookies
Jell-O cookies are made using a sugar cookie dough as the base. We chose to make our cookie dough from scratch, but you can certainly make them much quicker (and with fewer ingredients) by using a store-bought mix. For multiple colors, you’ll need a variety of Jell-O flavors. Or, choose to just try it out with one of your all-time favorites.

Ingredients
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • Jell-O powder, 4 different flavors
Directions
Step 1: Cream the butter and sugar
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and mix to combine.

Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft dough forms.

Step 3: Knead in the Jell-O powder

Divide the cookie dough into four sections. Place each section of dough in a small bowl and sprinkle 4 tablespoons of Jell-o powder into each bowl. Use your hands to knead the Jell-O powder into each section of dough until fully combined.

Step 4: Time to bake!
Use a cookie scoop to scoop tablespoon-sized balls of dough. Roll the ball with your hands and flatten gently before placing it on a greased cookie sheet. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes until the edges just begin to brown. After 10 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven.

Let sit on the hot baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

As for the flavor? That’s where things get interesting. These cookies not only look fun and colorful, but they’re ridiculously tasty—and borderline addictive. Who would have thought a cookie rolled in Jell-O powder would be this good? The fruity taste of each Jell-O flavor is subtle but it does come through, so keep that in mind. Lemon and lime Jell-O powder results in a more delicate flavor, while bolder fruit flavors such as strawberry and berry blue definitely come through more in the cookie. Overall, the exciting colors, the subtle fruit flavors and the slight tanginess the Jell-O powder brings to the mix make this cookie so much more intriguing than your regular old sugar cookie.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/jello-cookies-recipe/

I've had this recipe for years now and use it all the time. Easy to make and it does toast up just like english muffins. It doesn't last long here with hubby (the bread monster)

How-to-make-an-English-muffin-bread-loaf-770x1078.jpg

Spry was a brand of shortening many years ago. So using crisco or a store brand should work.

267684551_393201459267567_2336380600895559702_n.jpg

Again Snowdrift was a shortening brand from Wesson Oil, so any brand of shortening can be used in the recipe

edd17454f892f1375beb65c0ddf4a37c.jpg

Women actually shifted their organs and were breaking ribs wearing corsets back then.
They couldn't breathe (take a deep breath) or eat
And they actually made little girls wear them at a certain age and they sometimes had to sleep in them so they'd get used to them. Sort of like the "training" bras girls wear.

The local historical society published a book where I found this image.

20220103_161318.jpg

We believe fellow in the back row at the right is my grandfather before he was blackballed from the mines for trying to organize a union.

20220103_161344.jpg

Ben

Latest posts

Back