A Newer Trend--shed Homes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I was, patient. I was driving down the street during Christmas break and saw my house with some HUD sign in a window. I called my realtor and he was able to get us in to see the house. It was not on the market at that time, so I carried on, looking for houses I could afford. In early June of the following year, realtor told me that my house was listed in the HUD paper. We put together an offer including asking HUD to drop the price a few $1000 because of all the work it needed and HUD accepted it, because of that neighbor who was going to sue. I was truly blessed to get the house at the price I did. It still needs some work, but I have done a lot already.
I'm really glad that you are not mad at me since you started this thread on the "trend" for 'tiny-homes'.
My view of them is jaded because where I grew up, they were called "shacks" and the people living in them were called 'pofolks'.
I worked hard right from the beginning to assure that I would never join them.
64244-nod.gif

That 2,000 sq. foot would be $200,00000 new today.
Haha! House is soft brick, double walls. Soft brick homes are kept painted to preserve them better. My house has a twin, except mine is the step child house of the two. Twin house was listed for 1.2 million about 2 years ago. It finally sold for $950,000 in April 2022. It has had so many improvements done to it in the last few years. It has an apartment in the basement, sauna, wrought iron fence (versus my chain link fence), enclosed second floor sun room above front porch (while I only have the roof left of my front porch, with a poured section that replaced the original. Twin had a crew of about a dozen guys work on the outside, tuckpointing and painting for about a month when all the improvements were going on. These are lovely Victorian homes with a winding staircase in the entry way and a back stair case, but these kinds of homes can also be known as money pits!

I'm really glad that you are not mad at me since you started this thread on the "trend" for 'tiny-homes'.
My view of them is jaded because where I grew up, they were called "shacks" and the people living in them were called 'pofolks'.
I worked hard right from the beginning to assure that I would never join them.
64244-nod.gif
Since my daughter has been diagnosed with ADD, and if you have it, one of your parents does too, it is likely that I have it as well. I am often off track, but I have never been diagnosed nor medicated.

Yes, but when I grew up, manufactured homes were in the same vein, for poor people, and people who are considered trailer trash. I have been in some manufactured homes, and they are not made for the long haul like homes built on a foundation are. I have seen so many with cabinet doors that fell off, etc. If I was in a tough spot, and I could get one inexpensively, I'd go through it and completely rehab it as I could.

I say that, but when my aunt and uncle were following the development of dams on the Missouri River in the early 1960's, they joined many people who had trailer homes that got moved when they moved to the next area to do whatever work was being done. My uncle worked on the towers to string wires for the electrical infrastructure which still provides power to much of South Dakota and other states.

Something I've been finding as am EMT, is that people are started to set up this little sheds, as stay at home, hospital rooms.

Some are really impressive. You would think you are in an ER room with the amount of equipment they have in what looks like a tool shed.

Seems like a good idea to me. Let grandpa die at home, but instead of the usual place in the living room, you have a shed next to the house.

Latest posts

Back