African Violets

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do any of you remember your Mom or Grandmom, or yourself raising African Violets on the window sills or a small table near a window?

I've been thinking up though about the 70's or so, they were everywhere, and now I barely see them.

What about you?

My grandmother grew them, big pots of them. I grew them sometimes. There is a really cool nursery within an hour that sells a few different kinds. You have to get there early in the spring to get the unusual ones. Big box home improvement stores sell them in the spring too, usually white, pink or purple flowers.

When I keep different colored ones near one another, they end up changing and mixing colors.
After 1-3 years, something happens and mine die. I forget to re-pot or to water or they don't get enough sun.

Doubles were always nice to find. To grow new ones we always would take two leaves off and bury them under 1/4 to 1/2 inch of dirt and keep them slightly damp and in good light. Usually within a few weeks they were growing and producing new leaves. Took them a while to bloom.
Looking back I never tried taking leaves from plants with different color blooms to try and produce hybrids. That might be worth playing around with.

Plant them, put in North window, water occasionly and feed if you remember and forget them. Some of mine are 20 years old and I've divided them a few times. Most of the time I forget to feed them for months, but they still just bloom like crazy!

my grandmother said to never let the leaves get wet when you water. she always had really good luck with them. she never let anyone but her water them . OH and she always talked to them.
My sister in law is a florist and says the same thing about getting the leaves wet. However, I'm not very careful and my violets are not sale or show worthy. I do try to keep them dry but fail esp with bottom leaves. I just keep the older leaves pulled off and they don't seem to mind too much.

On mine, leaves would get white spots on them where the water hit them, then that leaf would rot.
So you have some currently, NannyPatty? What are your flower colors? Some leaves are so dark green, while others are lighter.
I think I'll look for some African violets soon.
Also, I love regular violets. They grew in our yards back east and were good to put in salads.

This is a neat thing about violets, not sure this applies to African Violets, but the Romans used to make wine with the flowers, I knew where some wild violets were growing and I picked a few and ate the blossoms and leaves, they smell and taste awesome, great for salad

I used to grow alot of them in my north facing kitchen window. When I went back to work full time I took them to my school room. I gave alot of them away and not sure why I didn't keep any for home. I've been thinking about them and the shamrocks too lately. You used to see them EVERYWHERE!!! I haven't seen either one in a long time. I will have to watch for or order some I guess!!!!

1520138076437595714732.jpg
1520138076437595714732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That was in March I posted a photo and my African violet is still blooming. I pick or snip off the dead flowers and it keeps on going.
Has anyone gotten any new ones?

Latest posts

Back