All about air Fryers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ok....I know I lead a sheltered life, don't get out much,
ain't a world traveler and all,:D:lil guy:

But I am hearing a lot of talk about Air Fryers,

Mostly what I'm hearing is good stuff.

I just had a friend tell me she cooked Chicken tenders in hers, that were SOOOOO juicy, and just fall apart when you pick em up.

I want to know if the meat has that crispy fried taste and cripyness.
Or is it like micrwave soggy.

I can see a lot of uses for it, if, in fact you are getting that fried food consistency without the grease frying.

Anybody here using an Air Fryer ....what is your experiences?
And which one is a good one?

Jim

Ok....I know I lead a sheltered life, don't get out much,
ain't a world traveler and all,:D:lil guy:

But I am hearing a lot of talk about Air Fryers,

Mostly what I'm hearing is good stuff.

I just had a friend tell me she cooked Chicken tenders in hers, that were SOOOOO juicy, and just fall apart when you pick em up.

I want to know if the meat has that crispy fried taste and cripyness.
Or is it like micrwave soggy.

I can see a lot of uses for it, if, in fact you are getting that fried food consistency without the grease frying.

Anybody here using an Air Fryer ....what is your experiences?
And which one is a good one?

Jim

I've been wondering about them also! As a matter of fact, they are the most purchased item at Walmart in our state! Are they worth the hype?

We got one for Christmas in 2016 and love it.

Use it for everything from Beer Battered Cod to Pizza (the little personal sized ones).

We spray a little non-stick spray on the basket, then a light spray over the food and everything comes out perfect.

I've even noticed that pizza rolls and breaded cheese sticks typically don't break open and leak the insides in the air fryer, unlike when I cook them in the oven.

It’s depends on the air frier. Not all are created equal. Speaking from experience and A LOT of research.
We have a Power XL Airfrier now. Most of our family has one in their house now as well. They are that good.
We’ve always been big frying people. Fries just ain’t fries if they ain’t fried!
Well I hate to admit. We haven’t had the oil frier out in over a year to eat anything from fries to corn dogs. Burritos to chicken. Even heated tamales when the microwave died.
We use it multiple times a week.
Would I buy this one again? No question. Same with the multiple family members who now have the same one.
Having said that the Walmart ones are junk. Most of the other brands have almost nothing but bad reviews. I can’t count how many people have bashed air friers until I talked them into trying this one and they all have kept it.
My recommendation is if you like fried food but want healthier alternative without loosing the crispy flakey yummyness give the power xl a try.

We don't have an air fryer but we do have a convection oven, which is sort of an large scale air fryer. It cooks faster and more evenly and it definitely crisps up things more than the regular oven below it. We use it to make parmesan crusted zucchini fries, cauliflower crust for pizza, etc. Also makes a perfectly browned and very juicy turkey.

It’s depends on the air frier. Not all are created equal. Speaking from experience and A LOT of research.
We have a Power XL Airfrier now. Most of our family has one in their house now as well. They are that good.
We’ve always been big frying people. Fries just ain’t fries if they ain’t fried!
Well I hate to admit. We haven’t had the oil frier out in over a year to eat anything from fries to corn dogs. Burritos to chicken. Even heated tamales when the microwave died.
We use it multiple times a week.
Would I buy this one again? No question. Same with the multiple family members who now have the same one.
Having said that the Walmart ones are junk. Most of the other brands have almost nothing but bad reviews. I can’t count how many people have bashed air friers until I talked them into trying this one and they all have kept it.
My recommendation is if you like fried food but want healthier alternative without loosing the crispy flakey yummyness give the power xl a try.

Well now you did it! I had some coupons and promotions to use up and DH has wanted one of these since we used one at a friends house. Sooooooo......
There's a 5 qt XL sitting on my kitchen table still in the box. I'm not feeling all that spry right now but hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow so I can give it a whirl. Experimenting should be fun.

Anything in particular you care to share that you really like to use it for?

Honestly we use it for A LOT @angie_nrs.
Fries, burritos, chicken, quesadillas........ I did burgers in it without foil but be sure you add water to the bottom pan so it doesn’t smoke something fierce. But really you can cook anything you want crispy for sure.
You can wrap things in foil too to cook. They also sell add on pans etc for it to cook more stuff. I personally haven’t used them yet. I haven’t ran into anything that hasn’t cooked really well in it though.
Generally take the directions/cooking instructions, drop the temp down and the cook time. Turn, stir multiple times.
If you got the XL I would recommend getting a silicone mat, cut it to fit under the basket.
The reason I recommend this is that the basket does hit on the bump in the middle of the pan. It wears the non stick finish off. That’s the one problem I’ve had and as soon as I added the mat it’s been perfect.

Have the Phillips air fryer and love it. We make great “fried chicken” with really adding oil. The oil in the skin is more than enough. Also lots vegetables with just a little olive oil goes a long way. The kids beg for Brussels sprouts in there. Only complaint is the basket is small for a larger family. We have to do chicken in batches. I love that we can sit it outside and not have the “ fried” smell thick in the air inside the house.

They are basically a small convection oven. I bought the Cuisinart TOA-60 which functions even more like an oven. I can bake in it, broil a chicken, it is extremely versatile. As a fryer I really like frying chicken wings and making French fries in mine. I also like making gyro’s with ground lamb and pork. I form long patties and they fry up really well.

The real benefit will be this summer, not having to heat up the whole kitchen with the oven... plus it cooks so much faster.

I agree with Double R about the reviews. The cheaper units had tons of bad reviews. I spent a month and read several hundred reviews before deciding. Basically, you get what you pay for. The more expensive units have good reviews. I’ve had mine almost 2 months now and use it almost every day. I haven’t used my oven once.

Last edited:
I got up early this morning and flipped on the TV while pouring my coffee and guess what I saw?

A Power Air Fryer Oven. Now that sounds interesting to me. You can do rotisserie chicken, 3 racks of food, or dehydrate food. I'm almost thinking I should have held off and purchased the oven instead, but I just learned of it this morning. I've never seen the original infomercial for the regular unit, but I just went and set the DVR to record the infomercial for the oven since I just caught the last couple of minutes of it. Am I a geek or what?

I do love the idea of not having to use the oven in the summer. Last summer I used my crock pot outdoors to help keep the house cool and we did LOTS of grilling. I also have a hot plate that I plug in outdoors and cook on the porch. I just hate cooking indoors during the summer!

I got up early this morning and flipped on the TV while pouring my coffee and guess what I saw?

A Power Air Fryer Oven. Now that sounds interesting to me. You can do rotisserie chicken, 3 racks of food, or dehydrate food. I'm almost thinking I should have held off and purchased the oven instead, but I just learned of it this morning. I've never seen the original infomercial for the regular unit, but I just went and set the DVR to record the infomercial for the oven since I just caught the last couple of minutes of it. Am I a geek or what?

I do love the idea of not having to use the oven in the summer. Last summer I used my crock pot outdoors to help keep the house cool and we did LOTS of grilling. I also have a hot plate that I plug in outdoors and cook on the porch. I just hate cooking indoors during the summer!
I saw that infomercial this morning, too. I’m intrugued, too. I’m trying very hard to not ‘impulse buy’.

Kitchen 01_v1.jpg
Something folks need to be aware of with air fryers… They pull a lot of current when in use. The best unit on the market is made by Phillips and it pulls 18 amps. The Cuisinart I bought pulls 15 amps. The good units are in fact convection ovens and need to be thought of that way for the electricity they use.

I had to run a dedicated outlet to my kitchen to supply power for my cuisinart. This was a project that I needed to do for a long time. This house was built for my grandparents in 1974. Electricity use wasn’t nearly what it is today with all our modern appliances. I ended up rewiring my entire kitchen, living room, hallway and two bedrooms. My kitchen alone got 4 new outlets. At least now I can run a crockpot, ricer/steamer, air fryer and microwave at the same time. I had to do this for health reasons. I had some serious G/I issues last year and had to change everything about the way I eat. (Please don’t laugh at my kitchen cabinets. They are 44 years old and show every day of their age…)

Just be aware of the power usage of air fryers or you’ll end up wondering why breakers keep tripping. The power usage of these units is printed on the box.

I watched the whole thing on the Power Air Fryer Oven. A couple of things about this unit appeals to me. The first thing is that it has a glass door on the oven so you can see what's going on inside. It also allows for small batches of jerky to be made at a time. Now, when I make jerky, I do at least 10# per batch and it takes roughly 16 hours. It would be nice to just do 1 or 2 pounds at a time and get it done in minutes, not hours.:D

I'll wait until this is out for a while and see the reviews before I cave on it. But just the 2 things I mentioned may make it worth it for me to buy it if the reviews are good. Hmmmmm.......Christmas next year???

View attachment 2849 Something folks need to be aware of with air fryers… They pull a lot of current when in use. The best unit on the market is made by Phillips and it pulls 18 amps. The Cuisinart I bought pulls 15 amps. The good units are in fact convection ovens and need to be thought of that way for the electricity they use.

I had to run a dedicated outlet to my kitchen to supply power for my cuisinart. This was a project that I needed to do for a long time. This house was built for my grandparents in 1974. Electricity use wasn’t nearly what it is today with all our modern appliances. I ended up rewiring my entire kitchen, living room, hallway and two bedrooms. My kitchen alone got 4 new outlets. At least now I can run a crockpot, ricer/steamer, air fryer and microwave at the same time. I had to do this for health reasons. I had some serious G/I issues last year and had to change everything about the way I eat. (Please don’t laugh at my kitchen cabinets. They are 44 years old and show every day of their age…)

Just be aware of the power usage of air fryers or you’ll end up wondering why breakers keep tripping. The power usage of these units is printed on the box.
Sadly, now days with so many things built elsewhere, the power usage is not often printed on the box, so many times I've had to turn display units over to get ampere/wattage readings. Years ago we bought a T-Fal air fryer, it's 1,400 watts, we have only made french fries with it but it will cook other things, only need one tablespoon of oil to run a load of French fries, it's a great machine, but it may not be for everyone.

Any suggestions? The Power XL or this oven like air fryer with rotisserie and clear window. I’ve decided I really want one.

http://www.powerairfryer.com/features-oven.php

I wish I could help you out but I just did my first batch of fries today. My batch turned out good but DS did a batch for too long and burnt his. Clearly there is a learning curve. I'm going to try fish with a dry rub in the next day or two and see how that comes out. I also want to try a cheese melt soon too. DH wants to try a pot pie.

I don't have anything to compare the Air Fryer XL to. I'm still intrigued by the oven but I'm never the first one to try new technology so I'll wait to see what the reviews are like after it's been on the market a while.

I wish I could help you out but I just did my first batch of fries today. My batch turned out good but DS did a batch for too long and burnt his. Clearly there is a learning curve. I'm going to try fish with a dry rub in the next day or two and see how that comes out. I also want to try a cheese melt soon too. DH wants to try a pot pie.

I don't have anything to compare the Air Fryer XL to. I'm still intrigued by the oven but I'm never the first one to try new technology so I'll wait to see what the reviews are like after it's been on the market a while.

Which air fryer do you have?

Okay. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to look at air fryers. They had a display of the one on TV, the air fryer oven with the glass front. I decided to buy one but they were sold out. So, they ordered one for me to be delivered to my home. Because of the ‘inconvenience’ I got $32 off. I’m excited to try it. Should get it in 5 days or so.

We have the Power Airfryer XL that DoubleR recommended above. Its the one they show in the original infomercial.

DH did a pot pie in one tonight and burnt the top of it. We're still learning....... guess we gotta dial down the temperature and remember to flip things midway in the cooking process. At first we didn't really know you could open the basket door during cooking. Now that we know, we can keep a closer eye on things.

Can't wait to hear how you like the oven! Please come back and post after you've had a chance to try it and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Okay. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to look at air fryers. They had a display of the one on TV, the air fryer oven with the glass front. I decided to buy one but they were sold out. So, they ordered one for me to be delivered to my home. Because of the ‘inconvenience’ I got $32 off. I’m excited to try it. Should get it in 5 days or so.
We like Bed, Bath and Beyond, that's where we got our T-Fal air frier, Aero-gardens and almost a complete set of Zwilling ice hardened chef knives, they are extremely sharp to begin with and very well made. My wife has been able to buy most items with the 20% discount she gets in the catalog fliers we get in the mail and it's great to have it delivered if it isn't in the store and has to be ordered.

DH did a pot pie in one tonight and burnt the top of it. We're still learning....... guess we gotta dial down the temperature and remember to flip things midway in the cooking process. At first we didn't really know you could open the basket door during cooking. Now that we know, we can keep a closer eye on things.

Mine has a "regular bake" and "convection bake" settings. I tried a frozen pizza on the regular bake setting the other day. The package said 14 minutes. It was done in 8 and the edges were starting to burn! Yeah, I keep and eye on mine. I'm still not used to how fast it cooks, especially when trying new things.:facepalm:

Latest posts

Back