Alternative Medicine Cabinet

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think they are listed in any particular order.....at least it doesn't indicate that.
I'm with you on the habaneros.....just NO! I don't like horseradish either.
No Horseradish??? How do you mix your Shrimp Sauce, or put on your prime rib? We like it so much I planted some. Actually way too much, I bout screwed up and planted 2 plants in one of my beds. Took me all last summer to get it all out. Well at least I think its all gone.

No Horseradish??? How do you mix your Shrimp Sauce, or put on your prime rib? We like it so much I planted some. Actually way too much, I bout screwed up and planted 2 plants in one of my beds. Took me all last summer to get it all out. Well at least I think its all gone.
How did you start your horseradish?

I donā€™t like it either but Hubby loves it. He says best he ever had was next to an artisan spring at an old abandoned homestead high in the mountains šŸ˜

I placed an order and got 5 small root pieces, maybe 2" long and as big around as a #2 pencil lead. I just stuck them in the dirt maybe 2-3" deep. Nothing else. They were very prolific
Thanks, I placed ginger and horseradish in my Amazon cart for a spring order.

Last edited:
Peppers are good in the diet, vitamin c of course and flavor. As medicine they are an irritant, first and foremost. But this irritant can fake our bodies into helping it's self in various ways. But, I would not reach for habanero peppers for a lung issue as the chart indicated. It's about the last thing i'd reach for.

Echinacea, most think of it as cold/flu medicine. It is that but... it primarily strengthens a cellā€™s walls. It's the reason native americans used it for snake bites. In fact they still use it for that today. It helps our cells better fight off the effects of hemotoxic venom.

It does help with covidā€¦ a very handy plant to grow in the yard. I would definitely use it, have in fact. But it isnā€™t thought of as a tool for acute situations. It lessens damage already occurring.

However, there is an advantage to having herbs in your blood stream already if you accidentally stumble into a virus, even vid #34. :rolleyes:

I like having an arsenal of herbs in the house. I keep this kit in my kitchen along side vitamins etc. Sort of my daily use/travel box. It's for several health issues, most cfs related. As it happens 11 of them also have antiviral properties, several are powerful antivirals. Some days i don't take any. I always take several if i go to town, before and after. It's what's kept me healthy (aside from cfs ). I went for more than a decade without a cold or flu. Sitting with dad in the icu for weeks did me in. Even my herbs couldn't fight that kind of stress and exposure.

Had the vid 3 times, first two times i didn't even know until my nose went wonky. Never felt a flu symptom. The 3rd time was just a guess, bad kind of headache for weeks that others reported. But, i'd badly stressed myself bush hogging on the farm. Pretty sure it was the vid but no flu symptoms.

I have 7/8 more herbs in the back room that would be helpful with any of the vids. No all herbs help all people equally. Viruses seem to be getting more complex. Over reliance on just one herb is usually not a good thing. Same with foods to much pepper is bad, to much salt.

It's not that hard to build a good herbal arsenal in one growing season. It requires time every week to harvest and make tinctures. Tinctures last more than a decade. By the third year only a few plants are needed, It gets easier... also, making quarts works best for me. Some plants are a pain in the butt to harvest/process. Putting up quarts means i can skip that chore for a long time.

2024-01-04 22-23-11.jpg

Last edited:
So, last night (middle of night) I started thinking.

Wonder if quercetin is good for lungs, I know mullein is. Wonder if quercetin is good for bronchiectisis. Studies have been done and yes, it is. Also for rheumatoid arthritis (helps with inflammation). Already ordered some today. Also wonder if fruit pectin would be like a concentrated source. Anyway, these are things that keep me awake or wake me up. DH already eats apples with skin on.

Thankfully we have a natural apple orchard on one of our properties. LOTs of apples this year, so I made lots of apple crisp. Since our apples are natural and not sprayed, I just wash em' and slice em' up with the skins on. Not only is it more nutritious, it's way easier to make it that way and is still delicious.

Just FYI, for a sore throat, I have always used colloidal silver. I gargle with it and that usually takes care of the issue almost immediately.

Back