America 1950 vs. America 2020

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idragrace

Super Friend
Neighbor
If you could go back to 1950, would you do it? There would be no Internet, no cellphones
ir
and you would only be able to watch television
ir
in black and white. But even though they lacked many of our modern conveniences, people genuinely seemed to be much happier back then. Families actually ate dinner together, neighbors knew and cared about one another, and being an “American” truly meant something.
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/america-1950-vs-america-2020/

If you could go back to 1950, would you do it? There would be no Internet, no cellphones and you would only be able to watch television in black and white. But even though they lacked many of our modern conveniences, people genuinely seemed to be much happier back then. Families actually ate dinner together, neighbors knew and cared about one another, and being an “American” truly meant something.
https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/america-1950-vs-america-2020/

This would be like a science fiction movie o kids today :)but good article and subject. Nice read.

I know it talks about the tech changing, but also the attitude changing. Do they have have anything to do with each other? I wonder. Or is it just tolerance change? I know things weren't perfect in the 50's, and there were problems, but the problems of today are something else.

I know it talks about the tech changing, but also the attitude changing. Do they have have anything to do with each other? I wonder. Or is it just tolerance change? I know things weren't perfect in the 50's, and there were problems, but the problems of today are something else.

No its not tech its exactly what Josepth McCarthy said it was 'communism' that had already infiltrated our education especially higher learning ,politic and HollyHood.
It actually started a few decades for that with the " rights" groups ACLU, SPLC,NAACP, and many others.movements of all kinds but more so womens rights.Not that women didn't need more rights but they took it to extreme to get the children away for mtheir mothers to have more control of their minds. Ther really is something to the saying " the hand that rocks th cradle rules the world" ,Mothers left the nursery for the boardrooms and take a good look at their children now!:ghostly:.
Then came the drug ,free sex,flag burning,anti working man lobby.s.
We were warned by two presidents but refused to listen.

McCarthyism - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I was only six years old, but I had it made back then. I was a male child, White, straight, and Christian w00t w00t!!

" Everybody" had it made back then no mattter the color! Nobody held back anyone thats a DAMN lie told by the communist who want to rule over us all.
We had poor of all colors and those who wanted to do better did,no matter their color.But once brainwashed they were vistims thats what they were plus welfare from the foll Roosevelt. And no SSI is not welfare ,you pay for it through taxation from day one employment.

A little here and a lottle there is how they took us down without a single shot. Who do any of you kno that this so called 'freedom' helped,surely not the blacks it made ghetto dweling liberal voting dependents out of them.
I remember when blacks were majortiy family unions and fathers were home walking down the streets aall dressed up i ntheri Sunday best to the church on every corner.

I would go back in a heartbeat. I would trade all of the tech for the morals, honesty, and integrity we were raised with. Those traits which IMHO we held in the highest regard, are completely lost today. They aren't even in anybody's vocabulary. That is very sad.

Families were cherished. Even if they were dysfunctional they stuck together. That is something we need to get back to.

If I did go back, could I take my knowledge with me?

Things that weren't so great back then.
Massive pollution.
Health care not nearly as robust as it is today.
A lot more racism and lack of civil rights.
The cold war.
Too much smoking.
No racism much at all. I lived down here all my life and only time i saw any problems was when some balcks intigated it. I bet not one of your family has moved into minority n-hoods! I know none of mine have nor any other people I know.
Why not? They had plenty of time to change their way of life and make something of their communities,but they listend to white liberals with an agenda and a check so its their own ignorance that held them back not any white people.
Look at Africa, see ny progress there in past 4000 years? Not since we stopped them from owning and selling slaves.
Th smart black person will wise up and help save this nation instead of voting communist every election.
Everything wrong with the whole world is blamed on ius mean ol evil white people. Well thats BS and I'm tired of ignorance guiding the buggy.

If I did go back, could I take my knowledge with me?

Things that weren't so great back then.
Massive pollution.
Health care not nearly as robust as it is today.
A lot more racism and lack of civil rights.
The cold war.
Too much smoking.
I turned 13 in August of that year. Puberty's chemicals stepped it up a notch. Acne. Yet another lost girlfriend. Acute appendicitis. The family moved, to an apartment with one less bedroom - which meant an older brother had to share a bedroom with me.

Out in the world the Korean War started.

We're kind of living in a early 1900's community with some tech added in at the moment. Our 100 plus years old farmhouse is kind of leaning, but we do have internet and dish tv when it works. But completely normal to see horse and buggy here, and you save your gallon glass pickle jars to fill up with raw milk. Bring a bucket around for some harvested wheat, but you have to clean it yourself.

I'd prefer going back to the 1850s ,
But.
Not being able to do that....I'll take the 1950s...those years are my best memories and early 60s, Beatles and hot rods.

Jim

1964 was my best year. And look how green I am. I still have the same car since 1964. Just look at all the energy I saved by not having to ask they make another car for me. 56 years worth & counting. I bet if I keep it a few more years they'll make me an honorary Cuban.

P7070649.jpg

1964 was my best year. And look how green I am. I still have the same car since 1964. Just look at all the energy I saved by not having to ask they make another car for me. 56 years worth & counting. I bet if I keep it a few more years they'll make me an honorary Cuban.

View attachment 50401

Is it your only car? Best cars were before 1967.

Is it your only car? Best cars were before 1967.

I think we often look back at the past with rose colored glasses and remember what we wished it was like. True the cars of the 1960s were something to behold. We had a 67 GTO that could pass anything but a gas station. But I also remember burned points, everyone knowing how to rebuild a carb, and AC as a "New" thing. I think Technology is good and bad.

But, I think the loss of respect for authority and justifying people's poor choices combined with the: me first, me, me, me attitude is what makes today so much less than it could be.

I think we often look back at the past with rose colored glasses and remember what we wished it was like. True the cars of the 1960s were something to behold. We had a 67 GTO that could pass anything but a gas station. But I also remember burned points, everyone knowing how to rebuild a carb, and AC as a "New" thing. I think Technology is good and bad.

But, I think the loss of respect for authority and justifying people's poor choices combined with the: me first, me, me, me attitude is what makes today so much less than it could be.

Thank for answer but I still think it was better back then for every single person in this nation
I never even heard os a such thing as drive by shooting much it being an everyday occurence,or heard or seen what a joint aka pot looked like till the late 1960s and I from Atlanta.

No racism much at all. I lived down here all my life and only time i saw any problems was when some balcks intigated it. I bet not one of your family has moved into minority n-hoods! I know none of mine have nor any other people I know.
Why not? They had plenty of time to change their way of life and make something of their communities,but they listend to white liberals with an agenda and a check so its their own ignorance that held them back not any white people.
Look at Africa, see ny progress there in past 4000 years? Not since we stopped them from owning and selling slaves.
Th smart black person will wise up and help save this nation instead of voting communist every election.
Everything wrong with the whole world is blamed on ius mean ol evil white people. Well thats BS and I'm tired of ignorance guiding the buggy.

By the 1960's 24 lynchings had been attributed to the town of Blakely and Early County, second in Georgia only to Fulton County with 37 lynchings.

In 1965, right after getting back from my active duty training, I got a four-month touring gig with a Motown band through North and South Carolina. I was the only White person in the band. We would send an advance guy to a small town who would book an evening show in a 'colored' high school, print up posters, and play the next night. What was really interesting was at the lunch stands in a department store, the rest of the band couldn't use the front door to get their food (carry-out, of course); but I had to go into the front door.

White people came, all right; they had no problem going, 'cause them ni**ers sure could play good, and anyway, those boys knew their place. On the other hand, that White bass player was probably a race-traitor and ni**er lover here to serve up trouble.

Now up North (if you consider Maryland "North") I went to a segregated high school; "colored people" (which included Hispanics and even some southern Europeans) couldn't go to Glen Echo Amusement park; and there were still a lot of restaurants which served non-Whites, but only for carry-out; and on and on. Of course miscegenation was against State Law, and if you even looked sideways at a person of another race (especially if you where a Black boy and she a White girl), then Christ knows where or even when you would be found!

But there was no racism down there back in the sixties at all.

By the 1960's 24 lynchings had been attributed to the town of Blakely and Early County, second in Georgia only to Fulton County with 37 lynchings.

In 1965, right after getting back from my active duty training, I got a four-month touring gig with a Motown band through North and South Carolina. I was the only White person in the band. We would send an advance guy to a small town who would book an evening show in a 'colored' high school, print up posters, and play the next night. What was really interesting was at the lunch stands in a department store, the rest of the band couldn't use the front door to get their food (carry-out, of course); but I had to go into the front door.

White people came, all right; they had no problem going, 'cause them ni**ers sure could play good, and anyway, those boys knew their place. On the other hand, that White bass player was probably a race-traitor and ni**er lover here to serve up trouble.

Now up North (if you consider Maryland "North") I went to a segregated high school; "colored people" (which included Hispanics and even some southern Europeans) couldn't go to Glen Echo Amusement park; and there were still a lot of restaurants which served non-Whites, but only for carry-out; and on and on. Of course miscegenation was against State Law, and if you even looked sideways at a person of another race (especially if you where a Black boy and she a White girl), then Christ knows where or even when you would be found!

But there was no racism down there back in the sixties at all.
I am sad that I have to agree with your assessment.

I was lucky to be living in the south west (just short of Mexico) in a mixed neighborhood, had friends of all races and creeds. Some of my best friends were black, we did math homework and played ball together. I remember when the news was showing the race riots and WATS events, it really shook me. I asked my friend, “am I racist? Do you know what’s it all about?” I think asking the question hurt him, still not sure of the answers. We stayed friends until about 5 years ago when he passed away… We lost a good man. To this day I don’t think of him as black, he was just my friend Mike…..

Latest posts

Back