Any Effective Ways to Eliminate Rodents?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shawn woods posted this video.

Nice trap design but if you watch closely in each capture scene there are Chinese characters over laid. Turn out it translates as "steamed buns" which is baned in China. It is a way to keep Chinese knock off companies from stealing his videos.

Steamed buns

Just for good measure.

Ben

I've watched a lot of his videos over the years. He has taken out so many rodents, or so it seems he has. He has so many subscribers and views, I wonder if he has retired from his teaching gig?

This is a little bit different kind of rodent, but it's a very effective and satisfying solution...

It's age restricted because of the rodent carnage. 319 kills in 7 minutes of video...

My brother and I used to go out and sit on a tailgate w/ a block of .22s and "pop" those awful little varmints.

...And then they were gone!:cry:

I just wanted to post that there is a happy ending to my saga.
Not a bite in 2 weeks.:(
No, it does not take a lot of money (<$10), or a lot of effort, to wipe them out.
And if you get good at it, not very long to do so.
Hundreds of pounds of stored food are safe and untouched.:thumbs:
Pecans rule!!!
mosh.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb
Well the score is now 5-1. I spent a few extra bucks to get one "cat-safe" trap for a strategic location, the only source of water in the house - the cat water-bowl.
Yes, if mice can't find something moist to chomp on, they must seek water.

View attachment 79903
Note the water bowl.
Guess what time of year it is! 😁
Hard to believe the 'cat-safe' trap nailed our first early visitor. :oops:
The bait bar was wiped clean on the other 2 (I needed to rebait them anyway).
At least this year I won't start out "behind", like last year.:(
By the time you see one, there are 5 more that you don't see.:oops:
It is GAME ON baby!!!:woo hoo:

Last edited:
Mice need to eat at least once in every 72 hours. They need to drink more often. They cannot regurgitate so if you lace their water with Ipecac they will die shortly after they drink. Animals that eat the carcasses are not injured by the Ipecac.

Mice need to eat at least once in every 72 hours. They need to drink more often. They cannot regurgitate so if you lace their water with Ipecac they will die shortly after they drink. Animals that eat the carcasses are not injured by the Ipecac.
But then there is issues of finding the rotting mouse carcass.

I deploy my traps around the kitchen sink which is the only place to find water in my place.

We have been absent of any mouse sign for over a year now. The last thing I did was close up an old dryer duct to the outside.

Ben

I use traps that are placed in the mouse trails. I use p-nut butter as bait. that is the only food accessible for them.
There is no water in the house for them, they have to get that outdoors.
In the 15 years we have been here we have had 3 or 4 mice. All caught dead in spring traps.

I use traps that are placed in the mouse trails. I use p-nut butter as bait. that is the only food accessible for them.
There is no water in the house for them, they have to get that outdoors.
In the 15 years we have been here we have had 3 or 4 mice. All caught dead in spring traps.
I use maple syrup to make the trigger pad sticky to hold brownie or cookie. I have trapped as many as a dozen in a year. The kitchen sink often has plates or such waiting to go in the dishwasher.

Ben

My wife cleans up the kitchen and you could perform surgery using the sink and counters.
House flies die of hunger in our house. Even their carcasses are cleaned and disposed of - nothing is left behind.
I gave up cleaning the house (I still pick up after myself) but my wife doesn't accept that anyone else has cleaned - she goes right over it to get it "momma clean".

My wife cleans up the kitchen and you could perform surgery using the sink and counters.
House flies die of hunger in our house. Even their carcasses are cleaned and disposed of - nothing is left behind.
I gave up cleaning the house (I still pick up after myself) but my wife doesn't accept that anyone else has cleaned - she goes right over it to get it "momma clean".
When The Princess finally retires things will change but until then she controls HER dishwasher. The only thing I have to do with any of HER appliances is replacing them when they go bad. ;)

Ben

I take care of my knives and her. She takes care of me and everything else in the house.

Well, hunting season 2023 has begun! :)
The 'cat-safe' trap got one in November, so it doesn't count.
Nailed 2 more so far this month, fortunately both in the garage.:thumbs:
Pecans rule!!!
80920-mosh.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back