Any of you guys use an electric razor?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a full beard and facial hair back in those years, in my late 20's.
I had to shave it all off when I got my 'new job' in order to be "OSHA Certified" to wear the toxic-gas mask required by some of the places they sent me into.
Fast-forward to today, since I am retired, I asked DW if I could give up shaving.
I will just quote her reply....
"You can if you want to, but my new husband will have a clean-shaved face":)
:oops: Not shaving = not an option.:(

WHAT ARE YOU? A MAN OR A MOUSE?!?!

I've got to go...the wife is calling...

@Supervisor42 - I'm interested in this topic as well as I'm also in the aspirin a day club and when i nick my scalp it bleeds forever and then those scabs make shaving harder for weeks until they fully heal. I've been looking at chemical depilators made for the face and head that sound like they might be easier than either type of razor and last for weeks at a time. Might be worth looking into...

As far as electric razors go, my advice for most electronic gizmos these days is to shop from someplace with liberal return policies and start with the cheapest they have, working your way up until you find one that meets your needs...

I use a Norelco with attachments. I don't shave other than a spot on my cheeks and my neck under the forest, but it works well for that. The attachments are great for hair that grows where it shouldn't, ears, nose etc. The head comes off the motor and comes apart for easy cleaning.

Norelco cordless for many years. Gives me a closer shave than a blade - probably because I've forgotten how to use one. Just need to shave often enough to 'catch it while it's short. If I wait too long, I use a hair clipper to shorten it.

Hmm. This seems like an acknowledgement of geezerly driftiness . . . Yep, that's what it is.

I spent the entire month of September in the hospital last year while I was there they shaved off my beard and kept it off. I rode the bike today and I could feel it flapping in the wind for the first time in awhile.

2A43E69A-AAAA-433B-8505-2F56C3BE2F44.jpeg

I have thick whiskers, and sensitive skin, so shaving is not really an option, I start to get a rash, and it grows so fast, that I have shadow in an hour or so, weird thing is it only grows so long, , actually pretty handy, so I am pretty sure I am designed to have a beard, once in a while I get silly and clippit really short, but that doesn't last long. If you can get away with multi blade disposables, battery life and replacement parts are prolly your biggest concern. the best electric that I had any luck with was a philishave tracer , a 2 head rotary, supposed to be a entry level shaver, but the closest thing to working for my cactus

The Doctor put me on Eliquis & told me to get an electric razer & I got Philips Norelco.
It work good if you clean the head, buy two new heads & you just paid for the razer.
I have nicked my finger a few times & no big deal, so the doctor is playing it safe.
The E. razer can be used dry in the truck in the woods in the park, so it has its place.

Last edited:

No really, I'm serious. When I still looked good, I used it on my stomach. Odd thing, when I quit, I turned into a grizzly.

I have been eying one of these for a year.
Been watching the Philips Norelco 3800 and Amazon finally put it on sale for $63 instead of $80.
Told DW about it and she ordered it for my birthday (in May) and it came in early.
Told her that we needed to put it on charge asap.
Then I told her that everything electric needs to be "function-tested" before use.
(You know, just in case it doesn't work:LOL:)
My birthday present:D:
IMG_20230430_122357.jpg

I was going to wait until I had tested it for months before writing a review about it.
2 things I did not expect:
1. That it would be way faster and easier than a bladed razor. Like changing from mowing with a 20" push-mower to a 60" 3-blade riding-mower.:oops:
2. The flip-up trimmer on it for sideburns, mustaches, and beards would be completely useless since I don't have those. Boy was I wrong!!!:oops:
I have always hated the hair that flips out over my ears, even 2 days after a haircut.
GONE IN 30-SECONDS!:woo hoo:
IMG_20230430_122949.jpg

I'll chime back in if I find anything I don't like:thumbs:.

Last edited:
I scrape my face just about every morning, but I'm glad for ya, Supe! Looks like a nice shaver! I haven't owned an electric razor in decades, but I once had a Norelco model. I don't mind using a regular safety razor, it does the job... 😒
Just let me shave your face with a regular razor with my shakey hands. :oops:
You'll look like this:
FOvyb9aUYAQAScU.jpg

Edit: Your blade razor:
3550084_ep_1447270593_0.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using a Philips Norelco for many years now. I like the rotating cutters, rather than the back-and-forth cutters you find on the original style Remingtons. Honestly, the Remington might get a closer shave, but the Philips is certainly close enough IMO, and it doesn't "bite."

I actually splurge a bit and pay for a mid-to-higher end model (not the most expensive, but I definitely stay away from the cheap ones). I honestly don't know if this is true, but it just seems like the mid-to-higher tier ones are made of better materials. I don't care for fancy electric features. I mostly just want one that is solidly made and doesn't have to be replaced all the time.

I do like the chargeable ones, rather than the plug-in-only ones.

s9000-prestige-l.png

Last edited:
Throughout my time in the Air Force I used a double edged razor, since then it's always been a Norelco chargeable, sad to say, like most everything these days, Norelco is made in China and the new heads don't seem to shave as well as they used to. I have new double edged blade shavers on hand, plus brushes, for when the power goes away.

I have used Norelcos successfully for several decades now. The rotary blades are a plus factor on my not-very- wiry beard. . . . hmm.

Had to go look. Yep, still Phillips Norelco, Jeez, being 85 gets to be more fun most every day
Got me beat by 5 years, the trouble with those years is the wrinkles that form valleys that makes getting rid of whiskers a bit harder.

With everything that is actually happening, why is male facial hair even an issue?
Because everything is happening outside our house.
Being able to keep my butt inside the house is an important issue. :thumbs:
(See previous post).

Latest posts

Back