Any of you guys use an electric razor?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have always shaved with a disposable razor that costs 20¢ each.
I get about 5 months out of each one. :thumbs:
Thinking about getting an electric since I have ET.
When you put a razor-sharp instrument, in a shaky hand, connected to a jerky arm, and put it to your face, sometimes it ain't good.:oops:
Add in the fact that I take a baby-aspirin daily as a blood thinner, even a tiny nick will take 15 minutes to stop dripping.
Since I am a 'technical' guy that knows absolutely nothing about electric razors, any and all information/opinion about them will be greatly appreciated!:D

I use both. The disposables are great for "the straightaways" - i.e., your neck. The electrics are good for the more "shaped areas" - i.e., everything above the neck. Electrics suck when the hair gets longer, but are just as good, or better than, the disposables when the hair is short. If things get long, I do a "trimming cut" everywhere with the disposable, then a second cut over the shaped areas with the electric. Disposables do not do as good a job as an electric over the shaped areas, but beat the electrics on the straightaways.

I've always used the Norelco triple head rotary electrics, I have not tried the Braun foil head style of electrics. The Norelcos with rechargeable batteries (they're probably all rechargeable these days) last forever. One charge lasts for months. You can get replacement heads, but I've never replaced any. They keep churning away for decades for me. Plus, by the time you think you might need some replacements, the particular ones you need are obsolete and not sold anymore. If you find them by chance, they cost more than a new electric razor. The Norelcos say you can use them with the heads underwater, although I've never seen anyone shaving while snorkeling, so that's not a big feature for me.

I don't use any "Lectric Shave" (do they still make that?) or anything like that with the electric. Just the razor on plain skin. And for the disposables I'm just as bad. No shaving cream - just some warm water. And I go up, down, sideways. None of this "you only go downwards with a bladed razor" like you see dads teaching their kids in the Disney movies. Whichever way you gotta go to get the hair and not slice an artery works for me.

When you put a razor-sharp instrument, in a shaky hand, connected to a jerky arm, and put it to your face, sometimes it ain't good.:oops:
Add in the fact that I take a baby-aspirin daily as a blood thinner, even a tiny nick will take 15 minutes to stop dripping.
Since I am a 'technical' guy that knows absolutely nothing about electric razors, any and all information/opinion about them will be greatly appreciated!:D
I just gave up shaving completely.

I am saving 4 cents a month. ;)

Ben

I've always used the Norelco triple head rotary electrics, I have not tried the Braun foil head style of electrics. The Norelcos with rechargeable batteries (they're probably all rechargeable these days) last forever. One charge lasts for months. You can get replacement heads, but I've never replaced any. They keep churning away for decades for me. Plus, by the time you think you might need some replacements, the particular ones you need are obsolete and not sold anymore.
Like you, being a gun-guy, the first thing you look at when buying a gun, is the ammo. If it is impossible to find, the gun is useless.:mad:
I am looking at the Norelco because replacement heads are available everywhere. :)
I don't use any "Lectric Shave" (do they still make that?) or anything like that with the electric. Just the razor on plain skin. And for the disposables I'm just as bad. No shaving cream - just some warm water.
Not only is Lectric Shave still alive, it is thriving!
As a matter of fact, if you are looking at an E-razor on Amazon today, it will appear in the 'bargain bundle' just below it.:D
(this is hard for me to believe since I remember looking up to my dad smacking it on his face when he was getting ready for work, 60 years ago:oops:).

I'm lazy. When it bothers the wife, or I have to go someplace and look semi presentable, I use one of these
amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1HPA60

Back in the day, I used a safety razor, but frankly I never have to look that good anymore :p

Last edited:
I've shaved a grand total of twice since 1978. Couldn't begin to give a recommendation.

Other than grow a beard.

:ghostly:
I had a full beard and facial hair back in those years, in my late 20's.
I had to shave it all off when I got my 'new job' in order to be "OSHA Certified" to wear the toxic-gas mask required by some of the places they sent me into.
Fast-forward to today, since I am retired, I asked DW if I could give up shaving.
I will just quote her reply....
"You can if you want to, but my new husband will have a clean-shaved face":)
:oops: Not shaving = not an option.:(

Last edited:
Back when I had a beard ...

david.jpg

I had a full beard and facial hair back in those years, in my late 20's.
I had to shave it all off when I got my 'new job' in order to be "OSHA Certified" to wear the toxic-gas mask required by some of the places they sent me into.
Fast-forward to today, since I am retired, I asked DW if I could give up shaving.
I will just quote her reply....
"You can if you want to, but my new husband will have a clean-shaved face":)
:oops: Not shaving = not an option.:(
Well that changes things a bit. 😍

The 4 cents a month doesn't persuade her?

Ben

I skipped shaving for 2 days. My wife commented on it and I jokingly said maybe I'll grow a beard. She said no way are you growing a beard so naturally I grew a beard. It lasted a couple of months and I didn't like it much so I shaved it off in stages. I went from a full beard to a goatee and sideburns to just a goatee to a Fu Manchu to a mustache and finally to clean shaven. That process took several days.
It was fun. :p
I have several electric razors and never found one that did a good job. I've been using a multi blade razor with a shaving mug and brush.

I have a deal for you.
PM me an address and I will send you 3 different electric razors.
No cost to you and no strings attached.
If one works for you great if not give them to someone.

I have a deal for you.
PM me an address and I will send you 3 different electric razors.
No cost to you and no strings attached.
If one works for you great if not give them to someone.
I appreciate the offer. But if you didn't fall in love with them, they are probably not what I am looking for, like corded ones. The outlet is too far away from the sink.
The other thing I am looking for is newer-tech Li-ion battery power.
All of the cheaper ones never say what they have in them...but you know what it ain't. :(
Being retired, I no longer know what day it is or how long it's been since I last showered. So I use stubble growth to gauge when it's time to take a bath and put on a clean shirt again.
I do exactly the same thing!
I have set up a note to log shower-day on in case I can easily shave daily outside the bathroom and I lose the 'stubble log'.

Last edited:
You guys should have to shave your legs😁
And not only that, we cannot even begin to fathom how one would shave "the forbidden zone".o_O
Now back to electric razors. (they are called 'shavers' on Amazon).

I got dad an electric shaver when he was in the hosp for several months. Seems it was about $40 at wally's, a basic remington. He hated it! Tried to give to me when he got home. He uses a double edge safety razor.

I've used a safety razor for several years, cheap, simple and quick. I bought a 100ct pack of blades ($6) when I bought the razor. I realize now I will not use all the blades in my life time.

I do have a wahl beard trimmer which I use without a guard sometimes. Then it only looks like I skipped one day shaving.

. He uses a double edge safety razor.
I've used a safety razor for several years, cheap, simple and quick. I bought a 100ct pack of blades ($6) when I bought the razor. I realize now I will not use all the blades in my life time.
I'm right there with you dude! :thumbs:
I am only halfway thru the 12-pack of elcheapo razors that I bought 3 years ago for $2.40 :

GUEST_f76172e3-a108-4e6c-bcd1-75f6d8438dc4

They work great, don't get me wrong. :)
But my problem is, I know that sometime in the near future, I will not be able to use them.:mad:

Last edited:
I get a new Wahl trimmer every couple years, When it gets dull I buy a new one. I was looking at them last week at the store. They had a new one for about $30 with a lithium battery. You can plug it up for use or run it off the battery. It has several different heads, a small shaver head, one for nose/ear, and a beard trimmer. The beard trimmer has several guards to choose from, for different length beards. Again, I use it without any guards sometimes.

I haven't used an electric since I was a kid. I can't get the hairs off my throat with an electric. And my skin gets way more irritated by the electric.

I buy the generic 5 bladed razors with the edge trimmer on the backside. A 3 pack lasts me for a long time because I only shave my neck and upper cheeks about once a week, and I shave my head every 10 days or so.

I use a Remington beard trimmer for shaping my beard and for shortening it. It has guides from #0 to #7. It also gets used for my head if I let the hair get too long to shave...

I had a Norelco for many years that finally wore out. I never used it as my sole means of shaving. It was an occasional diversion if I felt to lazy to use a blade. It NEVER shaved as close as a blade, and I would say all of the advertisements were total BS. If I were to rate it, I would call it barely adequate, and I have no plans to get another one.

My hand isn't as steady as it once was, but with razor design today IMHO you would be hard pressed to cut yourself shaving. I use the cheap disposable Bic razors, and I can't remember the last time I cut myself shaving.

Latest posts

Back