• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Any PC Geeks/Techs in here ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That takes DDR2, which is easy to find on Ebay etc. Any computer shop probably has it lying around unless they've already thrown it away because it's obsolete. Don't buy used memory on Ebay, because you don't know how it's been handled, and it could've suffered static damage.

Speaking of static, something pretty important to be aware of: If you're not knowledgeable in how to handle static-sensitive electronics, you either want to make sure you thoroughly educate yourself before touching memory modules or anything inside a computer, or have a pro do it. I long ago stopped selling memory for users to install themselves, because half of them end up destroying it by careless handling, then blame me for selling them bad memory. I would always try to explain static precautions to them, but many wouldn't listen because they'd done it before and it worked, or a friend told them it's easy, so they were sure they were fine and didn't need to pay any attention to my warnings. (I'm a professional computer tech.)

Thanks for that ^^^...

I know what kind it takes, Me problem is the size... It has 2 Sticks at 2GB each and I am trying to get 2 @ 4GB each...!!! I have ordered already from FleaBay and they keep sending Me the wrong ones...!! I need the ones that have 20 tabs on the Left side of the Notch, I keep getting the ones with 30 and 40 approximately before the Notch...! I don't "Trust" any of them anymore...

I am Hoping that maybee, Just Maybee Someone has an old HP sitting, not in use and just happens to have what I am wanting...?!?

As far as I can tell, the maximum RAM for that machine is 4GB, so you're already there. Probably just as well, as 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs are ridiculously expensive because there were very few made.

Are you sure you ordered DDR2, not DDR3? That would explain the difference in the pins.

It will handle 8GB RAM with no problem, there are plenty of 4GB Sticks, just not the ones with the 20 Tabs by the Notch...!

This is what I'm Looking for :
1710386092047.png

and this is what I've been getting, notice the amount of Contacts Left of the Notch :
1710386189664.png

Last edited:
My Next Venture will bee asking if anyone has the Drivers and Recovery Discs for a Toshiba Satellite C75D-A7102...?!?

One morning I started it up only to encounter "No Device Drivers are Found"...!!

I have ordered already from FleaBay and they keep sending Me the wrong ones...!! I need the ones that have 20 tabs on the Left side of the Notch, I keep getting the ones with 30 and 40 approximately before the Notch...! I don't "Trust" any of them anymore...
You are indeed ordering DDR2 SO-DIMM and not DDR2 DIMM aren't you?

It will handle 8GB RAM with no problem

Why do you think that? It seems very unlikely, since HP and memory manufacturers say 4GB is the maximum.

Your first image is a DDR2 SO-DIMM. The other two are DDR3, the incorrect photoshopped label notwithstanding. The ones you ordered from Ebay don't fit because you ordered DDR3.

Why do you think that? It seems very unlikely, since HP and memory manufacturers say 4GB is the maximum.
@Snowman, I think @backwoodsman is correct. Everything I see on the web says 4Gb max.

Some examples:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp-compaq/presario-cq60-211dx#memory
https://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardCompaqPresarioCQ60211DX.html
https://icecat.biz/us/p/hp/nb049uar/compaq+presario-notebooks-cq60-211dx-2148528.html

You didn't state your computer experience, and I can't really determine it from what you've posted thus far. So I don't know if you're an expert or a newbie - or if you'll take my next paragraph as welcome advice, or as something blatantly obvious. Maybe you could give us a hint about your computer literacy (especially hardware) so we don't waste your time or insult you (nothing is meant as an insult here!) by stating the obvious.

You do know that "fits in the slot" does not mean "supported by the system" don't you?

Mild derail time, @Haertig mentioned anti x linux . is there a particular build that is recommended and will stay stable. I have several pcs that need not windows

@Snowman, I think @backwoodsman is correct. Everything I see on the web says 4Gb max.

Some examples:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp-compaq/presario-cq60-211dx#memory
https://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardCompaqPresarioCQ60211DX.html
https://icecat.biz/us/p/hp/nb049uar/compaq+presario-notebooks-cq60-211dx-2148528.html

You didn't state your computer experience, and I can't really determine it from what you've posted thus far. So I don't know if you're an expert or a newbie - or if you'll take my next paragraph as welcome advice, or as something blatantly obvious. Maybe you could give us a hint about your computer literacy (especially hardware) so we don't waste your time or insult you (nothing is meant as an insult here!) by stating the obvious.

You do know that "fits in the slot" does not mean "supported by the system" don't you?
Maybee I saw this : https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-Presario-CQ60-RAM-up-to-8GB-Two/td-p/7614134

Mild derail time, @Haertig mentioned anti x linux . is there a particular build that is recommended and will stay stable. I have several pcs that need not windows
antiX is very lightweight and is really for old, underpowered hardware IMHO. It's great if you're trying to revive a PC that King Tut might have used, before he upgraded. I would download what they named "antiX-full" which includes the most software - the stuff that you'd probably want for a fully functional PC. They have more stripped down versions available, but I wouldn't recommend those unless you are an experienced Linux guru.

https://antixlinux.com/download/

If you have more modern hardware that is slightly more capable, I would go with MX Linux instead of antiX. MX and antiX share similar booting stuff, which is what makes them both so good for booting from thumbdrives. MX includes more software than antiX and is also a little more resource intensive. I would call MX "mid-weight" rather than "lightweight". I would get the "Xfce" version in x64. If your computer is so old that it is only 32bit, I would move back to antiX instead installing the MX 32bit version.

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

I have found a glitch in antiX. One of my computers boots up with it just fine, but nothing on the GUI will respond to mouse clicks other than ONE item on the start menu, which is "Restart Window Manager". Which luckily, is exactly what I have to do to make it work and respond to mouse clicks. It is a minor inconvenience. But until you figure out that restarting the window manager is what you need to do, this would be a show stopper for most users. This problem may be specific to my computer. I doubt this is a widespread problem - a Linux distro that does not work after you boot it would not stay around long. I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about it. What is technically happening (I think) is that when I click on something, that program starts up, but it cannot write to the display (maybe due to some startup timing issue on my specific PC?). Once I restart the window manager these programs are then able to write to the display. Restarting the window manager is a 2 second operation (not the same as a reboot). FWIW, MX Linux does not experience any problems like this for me.

Your first image is a DDR2 SO-DIMM. The other two are DDR3, the incorrect photoshopped label notwithstanding. The ones you ordered from Ebay don't fit because you ordered DDR3.
No, the ones I ordered had the 1st Pic in the Auction description and what they sent were the others...!!! When I asked why to the sender, "It is a Stock Photo"... They Refunded Me $'s and I still have that RAM if anyone wants them...?!? I Can't Use them...!

antiX is very lightweight and is really for old, underpowered hardware IMHO. It's great if you're trying to revive a PC that King Tut might have used, before he upgraded. I would download what they named "antiX-full" which includes the most software - the stuff that you'd probably want for a fully functional PC. They have more stripped down versions available, but I wouldn't recommend those unless you are an experienced Linux guru.

https://antixlinux.com/download/

If you have more modern hardware that is slightly more capable, I would go with MX Linux instead of antiX. MX and antiX share similar booting stuff, which is what makes them both so good for booting from thumbdrives. MX includes more software than antiX and is also a little more resource intensive. I would call MX "mid-weight" rather than "lightweight". I would get the "Xfce" version in x64. If your computer is so old that it is only 32bit, I would move back to antiX instead installing the MX 32bit version.

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

I have found a glitch in antiX. One of my computers boots up with it just fine, but nothing on the GUI will respond to mouse clicks other than ONE item on the start menu, which is "Restart Window Manager". Which luckily, is exactly what I have to do to make it work and respond to mouse clicks. It is a minor inconvenience. But until you figure out that restarting the window manager is what you need to do, this would be a show stopper for most users. This problem may be specific to my computer. I doubt this is a widespread problem - a Linux distro that does not work after you boot it would not stay around long. I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about it. What is technically happening (I think) is that when I click on something, that program starts up, but it cannot write to the display (maybe due to some startup timing issue on my specific PC?). Once I restart the window manager these programs are then able to write to the display. Restarting the window manager is a 2 second operation (not the same as a reboot). FWIW, MX Linux does not experience any problems like this for me.
Isn't there also One that Resembles Win XP or Win 98SE...?!?

No, the ones I ordered had the 1st Pic in the Auction description and what they sent were the others...!!! When I asked why to the sender, "It is a Stock Photo"... They Refunded Me $'s and I still have that RAM if anyone wants them...?!? I Can't Use them...!
Definitely don't order RAM based on a picture of it in the sellers advertisement.

https://www.tecmint.com/best-alternative-linux-distributions-for-windows-users/

"It is quite intriguing how Windows 10 took off shortly after its announcement on the 29 of July 2015 and it is without a doubt that it’s the best Windows ever – which is what a sequel of any operating system should be anyway – unlike those that came before it (I’m looking at you Window 8/8/1).

Microsoft currently boasts of over 200 million devices currently running its flagship operating system, which is a humongous amount if you ask me. Notwithstanding, the market share of Windows 7 still surpasses that of Windows 10.

However, given the success rate of Windows 10 in the short space of time, we’d expect its usage share to eventually grow over the next few years to beat Windows 7 – just the same way the latter took over Windows XP.

I like to attribute Windows 10 to “8.1 done right” particularly because it’s more or less a refined form of the latter – with still a lot of improvements under the hood."

Downloads available thru the site...

A Google search turned up this:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/driversOSResults?freeText=1200007777

For something that old, you might do better trying to revive it with Linux, not Windows. I would recommend trying AntiX. It's a very light Linux distro that works well on old hardware.

https://antixlinux.com/

Thinking about using that on Me Toshiba Satellite that has a 64 Bit Setup... Still can't find a Device Drivers Disc... May just cut Me loses and switch to avoid any Future Problems from Wind-blows...?!?

Isn't there also One that Resembles Win XP or Win 98SE...?!?
I don't think so. Linux is not Windows. And the Windows users that try to switch to Linux expecting/demanding that it to be like Windows are the ones who complain, fail, then go back to Windows. Which is the most desirable outcome for everyone involved. People just need to remember that it's a new thing to them, and not something that they should try to make look like their old thing. Unfortunately, for most Windows users, switching to Linux because it's a fad to them is like trying to draw a perfect circle with an Etch-A-Sketch.

To add just a bit to @Haertig's very good answer, the XFCE version of MX Linux runs fine on most machines that came originally with Windows 7, except maybe the very slowest ones, and on maybe half of Vista machines. Antix is lighter weight, so works better on older/slower machines, but is a bit less polished and sophisticated than MX, so MX is the first choice if the machine will handle it. I've been using MX and Antix on several machines for I think about 8 years now; I'm typing this on an 18-19 year old laptop that came new with XP, now running MX with an Antix kernel.

In other words, you ordered DDR3 (or maybe DDR4?) instead of the DDR2 you need. They wouldn't be interchangeable even if they used the same socket. I could put them to use if you're offering to send them.

Nope, I ordered what I saw in the Auction Pic which is what fits in those slots where the RAM is placed...!!

Send Me a Letter and I will send them out 1st of next week...!!! 2 Sets of 2x2GB each...!!!

I don't think so. Linux is not Windows. And the Windows users that try to switch to Linux expecting/demanding that it to be like Windows are the ones who complain, fail, then go back to Windows. Which is the most desirable outcome for everyone involved. People just need to remember that it's a new thing to them, and not something that they should try to make look like their old thing. Unfortunately, for most Windows users, switching to Linux because it's a fad to them is like trying to draw a perfect circle with an Etch-A-Sketch.
I'm sure some here have seen these :

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/best_linux_distro_windows.html

Linux is still not Windows. Even if you smear cosmetics on the GUI so icons and things "look like" Windows. I do not understand why this would make Windows users more comfortable. Just look at how Windows itself changes it's look and feel between releases. Maybe they are referring to the amount of software that comes pre-installed with a distro? I personally use Linux Mint on my desktop. A distro that is often recommended for new users. I've been using Linux since just about the day it was invented. And Unix before that (and after). But Linux Mint is very convenient, having pretty much everything you can dream of already installed (not that clicking a button of two in a GUI to install a Linux program is all that taxing).

Several years ago I set up a testing computer to multi-boot a bazillion different Linux distros. Which one do you think was the only one that installed perfectly, with zero issues that I had to address? Slackware. That one is not exactly known as a beginner friendly distro. The old saying goes, "If you're a Linux guru and you run into a problem you can't solve, fine a Slackware user to help you out." Slackware is great, it's been around forever, but it's not going to hold your hand or give you a hankie to cry in. If you need an even bigger challenge, try Gentoo or even LFS (Linux From Scratch) if you're into the ultimate "hands-on" experience and really like compiling things. You will indeed know your system inside and out after installing and configuring one of these puppies.

Where in any of Me Posts did I say "Linux Is Windows"...?!?

I merely ask if there was a "Linux Version that Looked Like Windows"...!!
Sorry if I hit that topic too hard.

In my personal experience, every single person I have worked with that wanted a version of Linux that looked like Windows, or complained that it did not work like Windows, or suggested that it would be better if it did such-and-such like Windows does it ... failed. They were not able to switch to Linux, they abandoned it quickly, and went back to Windows. Every single one of them. This is not necessarily a bad thing - you need to be comfortable with OS'es that you use. You are never going to be good with an OS if you basically do not care for it. This explains why my Windows skills are now in the toilet. The last version of Windows that I used regularly and knew well was Windows 2000.

Sometimes people would go back to Windows after I had expended quite a bit of effort to help them move to Linux. All my time and effort to put things together for them, do their research for them, and present that in an easy to understand format - were wasted. These past experiences are why I do not try to convert people to Linux anymore. And I typically only offer superficial help (at first), until they have shown that they are actually truly interested in Linux in the first place.

I think many experienced Linux users have had experiences very similar to mine over the years. And have collectively learned the same lesson that I learned. This is often interpreted by Windows users to be aloofness in the Linux community. Maybe it is somewhat, but I think it is more of a self-protection mechanism.

I don't know if you are like those other Windows people or not. I was maybe trying to nudge you away from that, and probably nudged too strongly. Sorry about that. I do hope you can successfully switch, if that is your plan. One additional thing that I will say - with the age and capabilities of the computers you are asking about here, I sincerely do believe you will do better running Linux. I can't imagine running a modern version of Windows in 4Gb of memory, or with a Pentium class CPU.

The trouble with windows is that it is a control system, some how they scammed their way into being the OEM system for off the shelf PCs. Back in the windows 95 days it was fairly useable, and user controlled. I like linux but had to run some programs that were windows only. I want to set up a small tower on linux, that was/is w 7 based. I just don't want complications, the last bootable usb that I have the system won't up date, and won't run very well, Thus my question to those who run linux what should I run.
Thank you for the information, I am going to look into the recomendation asap.

I was Totally Happy with Win 98 SE...!!! :thumbs:
That was good stuff.:D
I ran it for years on several machines. Still use Vista® today.
They used a lot of their 'NT server software' in it.
The first one that could 'auto-restore' corrupt files so you didn't have to do a full 'system-restore'. :thumbs:
It could 'heal itself'. :)

Last edited:
I am going to look into the recomendation asap.
If you have more modern and capable hardware, I would recommend Linux Mint as well. Mint is a "heavy" Linux distro (but still tons lighter than Windows). My desktop computer runs Mint. My desktop is not new, the hardware is over ten years old, but still fine (even overkill) for a desktop computer. The only reason you need killer hardware IMHO is if you are a gamer, or if you do resource intensive tasks like transcoding videos constantly. Or if you run Windows.

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX
Intel i7-4770K 3.5GHz (circa 2013)
32Gb G-Skill 4x8Gb DDR3-1600 (way excessive for any Linux desktop, but I got it for free)
Crucial MX-500 SATA SSD 500Gb (older SATA interface, not M.2)

Yeah, this is pretty old. But I choose my hardware based on what tasks I need it to perform, not as a status symbol, or something equipped for gaming (which I never do). This desktop hardware would probably barely run Windows, but it flys with Linux, even a heavy distro like Mint.

Latest posts

Back