• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Any PC Geeks/Techs in here ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what my linux mint desktop looks like (below). Like haertig i worked with unix back in the day and NT as well. Along with a dozen operating systems no one has ever heard of. Even saw linux when it first showed up..

Xp was the last win version I liked. It was customizable but sadly was also a resource hog. But win 7/8/10/11 are bloated monsters that do what they want. With win10 I got tired of having to crash my system to get it to shut down when i wanted or stop it from updating itself.

I really like Mint and have the skills to use it but... because of a pesky illness I no longer trust my skills. For days, sometimes weeks my mind works like a 100yr old man. I'm effectively a novice again so I have to refresh my mind with basics repeatedly. Check with guru's and spend hours searching forums. Still, a better option than the bloated whore named windows.

If you have older hardware linux is the way to go. I bought a cheap lenovo laptop a few years ago, had win10 on it. Memory usage was over 80% static. When i loaded linux on it... my old one ton truck with a straight 6cy engine was suddenly a mustang with a v-8. The performance increase was amazing.

I just bought a new dell that came with win11. Haven't even turned it on yet... not until I was ready to wipe the drive and load linux. I found another option, Linux is so small i can load it into memory on each boot up and run it from there. Just plug in a thumb drive and boot from it. Windows is still on the hard drive just like it was installed... So, now i can used windows or linux on the same computer, independently of each other.

This is my desktop with linux cinnamon as the operating system.

Desktop.jpg

Last edited:
Win7 was the last Microsoft OS I used on a daily bases. I've played with Linux previously, about 20 years ago, on old (for the time) self built computers from eBay parts.... it didn't fit the bill then, but it does now.

For old(er) computers the stripped-down version of the Ubuntu distro = Lubuntu works great, gets regular updates and necessary drivers are built in.

I've played with Mint and like it, haven't tried Cinnamon, yet. But, I'm due to setup and program a new/old desktop.... I have a couple to play with.

Nope...definitely not me. yeah, I have this MacBook Pro laptop...and...a Power Mac 8 core for my studio...but...have a flip phone, too. I actually hate the digital age. But, that's just me.......

Latest posts

Back