Anyone Have or Use a Bread Maker?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has over a dozen different size bread pans, I have offered to get her a bread maker but she refused, as they don't make the right size loaf?

Over the last 10 days I have helped her make bread in the evenings, B P and CO (she marks the foil B-Banana, P-Pumpkin, CO-Cranberry Orange). I took her for a ride the other day and we stopped at every one of her friends’ houses and she had me deliver a bag to their door. When we got home I started looking in the fridge, the wife asked what are you looking for? I told her that I wanted to get a slice of Pumpkin bread... She said you just delivered all 15 loafs that we made....

Now, you would think that she would hold 1 back for the hired help...

Side note, she had me order a "special" loaf pan for sandwich bread (it's longer), she spent weeks testing before she found/made the perfect recipe... then she stopped baking lunch bread.

Those are pandemic prices. I have the first zojirushi that he showed and it was $289 at Pleasant Hill grain. That is more than I wanted to pay but nowhere near $700+.
Those prices seemed exorbitant to me, but like other things this year, you never know what is going on. I know that one of my bread makers is an Oster, an inexpensive bread maker and many years old. This video made me wonder just how much of a demand there was for bread makers this year. My guess is that there were more purchased this year than many previous years, especially by people who are into preparedness.

Those prices seemed exorbitant to me, but like other things this year, you never know what is going on. I know that one of my bread makers is an Oster, an inexpensive bread maker and many years old. This video made me wonder just how much of a demand there was for bread makers this year. My guess is that there were more purchased this year than many previous years, especially by people who are into preparedness.

My Oster died in March.

I have a couple bread makers. We used to make bread in the classroom using them. It is so simple that younger children can get it started. Just teach them how to measure the ingredients and provide a recipe card. I have also made bread with children, using a zip top bag, dumping the ingredients in, and having them work the dough inside the bag. Sticky? Yes, but a great process to get those hands and fingers working.

What kind do you have and what are some of your favorite recipes?

I haven't used mine in a few years, but think they are a great preparedness item to have. You can have the bread maker make up your dough, then move it to a bread pan and bake it in your oven. You can also make pizza dough in a bread maker, and then remove it and make your pizzas. Start your dough in the machine and let it do the work for you.

I have seen bread makers at thrift stores and garage sales for little, so they can be had for a low investment. There are many recipes online for using bread makers. They come with a booklet of instructions and recipes when you buy them new.

I have a basic bread machine that has pre set settings, and want to use that receipt and make it by hand. The receipt It has calls for 4 cups flour. I know about letting dough rise, etc, but don't know what temp to set oven to, or baking times. I live at a high elevation so have to adjust temps for that which the machine doesn't do.

Last edited:
We have an Oster, much like this one. I have had reasonably good success with it. Asking for a favorite recipe is like asking which child you love the most, but I think I would pick this one.

Smoked Cheddar Loaf

1 cup Beer
1 2/3 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
1 egg
4 cups bread flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

I use the setting for a medium crust, and it bakes for a little over three hours.

1632757272271.png

I have a basic bread machine that has pre set settings, and want to use that receipt and make it by hand. The receipt It has calls for 4 cups flour. I know about letting dough rise, etc, but don't know what temp to set oven to, or baking times. I live at a high elevation so have to adjust temps for that which the machine doesn't do.
I think that bread is almost always baked at 350 degrees. When it comes to baking times, perhaps reading recipes online for bread that is baked in the oven. For everything that I bake, I watch and check my baked goods. I think that might not be so easy with bread, but perhaps experimenting would help you to determine the time you need. I also understand elevation. I live at 5280 feet. Some recipes are not 100% and I have experimented repeatedly with them.

You use a term that I think of as old fashioned, receipt. I use the term recipe, and think of receipt as the piece of paper you get when you make a purchase. I have seen the term receipt used before, meaning the same thing as recipe, but I don't think it is so commonly used now. I wonder if it might be a colloquialism, used more commonly where you live, or perhaps by your family?

I have a couple bread makers. We used to make bread in the classroom using them. It is so simple that younger children can get it started. Just teach them how to measure the ingredients and provide a recipe card. I have also made bread with children, using a zip top bag, dumping the ingredients in, and having them work the dough inside the bag. Sticky? Yes, but a great process to get those hands and fingers working.

What kind do you have and what are some of your favorite recipes?

I haven't used mine in a few years, but think they are a great preparedness item to have. You can have the bread maker make up your dough, then move it to a bread pan and bake it in your oven. You can also make pizza dough in a bread maker, and then remove it and make your pizzas. Start your dough in the machine and let it do the work for you.

I have seen bread makers at thrift stores and garage sales for little, so they can be had for a low investment. There are many recipes online for using bread makers. They come with a booklet of instructions and recipes when you buy them new.
I have on of those evil machines, My sister gave it to me because i said she needed a back up alarm when she backs up. She is evil. And SHE KNEW that i would gain another spare tire eating that yummy yum yum. EVIL

nuts.com has a sourdough bread package that is really really good

A breadmaker bread recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/joanna-gaines-3-minute-bread/
This 3-Minute Bread Machine Recipe from Joanna Gaines Is the Next Thing You Should Bake

Why Does Joanna Use a Bread Maker?
“The thought of homemade fresh bread used to overwhelm me,” Joanna wrote in a Magnolia blog post. Same, Joanna! Proofing the yeast, kneading the bread, letting it rise—it all seems pretty daunting. But Joanna reminded me of the kitchen gadget that was so popular a decade ago: the bread maker.

If a bread machine can deliver homemade bread with only a few minutes of hands-on time, it’s worth the investment. So, take a look at our Test Kitchen’s recommended bread machines, if you don’t already have one!

How to Make Joanna’s 3-Minute Bread Recipe
This has be one of the best sweet bread machine recipes out there. It takes 3 minutes to prep and pop in the bread machine.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) bread machine yeast
Tools You’ll Need
Directions
To make this bread, simply add all the ingredients to the bread machine, set the machine to “basic” and push start. It’s honestly that easy.

Editor’s Tip: Many bread machine manufacturers recommend adding all the liquids first, then salt and the flour, and finally sugar and yeast (which you don’t have to proof for this recipe).

Here’s What I Thought
After three hours, my house smelled like a bakery. I removed my bread from the machine and cut into a softly crusted loaf of sweet bread. It was tasty, definitely one of the best sweet bread machine recipes I’ve ever made. This loaf was great for breakfast and would be amazing as French toast.

How to Make This Recipe Your Own
For a non-sweet bread, Joanna recommends reducing the sugar to a quarter cup. This makes for one heck of a tuna melt. Thank you, Joanna Gaines, for your infinite kitchen wisdom!

This 3-Minute Bread Machine Recipe from Joanna Gaines Is the Next Thing You Should Bake

“The thought of homemade fresh bread used to overwhelm me,” Joanna wrote in a Magnolia blog post. Same, Joanna! Proofing the yeast, kneading the bread, letting it rise—it all seems pretty daunting. But Joanna reminded me of the kitchen gadget that was so popular a decade ago: the bread maker.

If a bread machine can deliver homemade bread with only a few minutes of hands-on time, it’s worth the investment. So, take a look at our Test Kitchen’s recommended bread machines, if you don’t already have one!

This has be one of the best sweet bread machine recipes out there. It takes 3 minutes to prep and pop in the bread machine.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Tools You’ll Need
Directions
To make this bread, simply add all the ingredients to the bread machine, set the machine to “basic” and push start. It’s honestly that easy.

Editor’s Tip: Many bread machine manufacturers recommend adding all the liquids first, then salt and the flour, and finally sugar and yeast (which you don’t have to proof for this recipe).

Here’s What I Thought
After three hours, my house smelled like a bakery. I removed my bread from the machine and cut into a softly crusted loaf of sweet bread. It was tasty, definitely one of the best sweet bread machine recipes I’ve ever made. This loaf was great for breakfast and would be amazing as French toast.

For a non-sweet bread, Joanna recommends reducing the sugar to a quarter cup. This makes for one heck of a tuna melt. Thank you, Joanna Gaines, for your infinite kitchen wisdom!
The Princess in her her year end white tornado activities revealed she has 3 bread makers. Now all I we need to do is convince her she doesn't have to sweat inflation and retire so she can make our own bread.

Ben

The Princess in her her year end white tornado activities revealed she has 3 bread makers. Now all I we need to do is convince her she doesn't have to sweat inflation and retire so she can make our own bread.

Ben
In the prepping world, two is one and one is none. Who said that originally? It has been out there as long as I have been prepping.
And 3? Just in case!

Edit: It is from the movie, G.I. Jane!

Ingredients
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Tools You’ll Need
Directions

Here’s What I Thought

Does the link say how long she baked this? The directions say press "Basic" on the bread machine, but mine doesn't have a basic setting. There are distinct times at about 12 minute increments. She says after three hours the house smelled like a bakery, so I guess I could give that a try, or something very close to three hours.

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Does the link say how long she baked this? The directions say press "Basic" on the bread machine, but mine doesn't have a basic setting. There are distinct times at about 12 minute increments. She says after three hours the house smelled like a bakery, so I guess I could give that a try, or something very close to three hours.

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Good question, and I honestly do not know the answer to this question. But it does make me want to try this now! I won't be able to do so for a few days.

My breadmaker is in the attic and will probably be given away. Tried it, didn't like it. I let the KitchenAide do the kneading and let it rise on the counter. Bake for 20 minutes in open top loaf pan and 25 minutes in the pullman loaf pan.
Was it the baking in the bread maker that you didn't like? That is what I don't like about using them. I do like how they do all the kneading. I have a Kitchenaide, but I don't use it much. I used it mostly for baking and I don't need all the baked goods in my house.

I got my bread machines primarily to do the kneading and then to bake them off in the oven. I’ve yet to do that, I’ve been baking it in the machine. What’s nice is during the summer it doesn’t heat up the kitchen like the oven does and I can use my solar generator to run it.

I have one. It's alright but only due to being free. I prefer to manage it manually and do use the large Kitchen-aide to do most of the work these days; not the bread machine. One bonus is that you can add ingredients, turn it on, and walk away and it isn't bad. Not quite like normal home made.

I have my mother's bread maker. Although my mother made the best homemade bread. She always made a loaf just for me. Alright, I may be somewhat spoiled, but the bread was great, that is before the bread maker. Afterward? A whole lot tougher bread! But, I should still make some with it.

I have my mother's bread maker. Although my mother made the best homemade bread. She always made a loaf just for me. Alright, I may be somewhat spoiled, but the bread was great, that is before the bread maker. Afterward? A whole lot tougher bread! But, I should still make some with it.
I grew up having homemade bread for many years. It was the best stuff. I have not been the best bread maker, but I suppose if and when I was really hungry, even my homemade bread would past muster. There is nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread, except maybe a fresh cup of coffee.

There is nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread, except maybe a fresh cup of coffee.

OMG!! 😍 That is sooooo true. Have you ever walked into a bakery, and immediately thought "OH NO. This is going to cost me a lot of money."

Ingredients
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Tools You’ll Need
Directions

Here’s What I Thought

O.K. the results are in. I followed the recipe exactly. Baked the loaf for three hours with a medium crust setting. I thought it turned out exceptionally well. The texture was good. The taste was very good. A little sweeter than you would expect for a normal loaf of bread, but the recipe called for 3/4 cup of sugar, so there you go. I will probably eat 90% of the loaf, which I need like a fish needs a bicycle, but I made it, so I will enjoy it. Would I make it again? A definite YES.

Back