Are you/ we the frog in the pot of water??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirediron

Seasoned HillBilly
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Rural western Canada, Sunrise side of the Rockies
I was a kid when the news reported fuel rationing in the late 1970s , Coming adult 1984 was on a lot of peoples minds, as well as in Canada, especially the west, the National energy policy Crashed the economy. I don't remember what the panics were about during my younger adulthood but the next big one was Y2K .... Now we are maybe over the overblown scamdemic maybe, and now a lot of people are on the edge of their seats. interest rates are much higher, most people are struggling if they have a mortgage. A lot of chatter about a lot of things EMP nuke WW3 or whatever number . Lately I feel unsettled, I am about as ready as I can be I have most of the skill, I think to make it no matter what. Age is against me, but it has also made me find less strenuous ways to live.
What say you ???

I was a kid when the news reported fuel rationing in the late 1970s , Coming adult 1984 was on a lot of peoples minds, as well as in Canada, especially the west, the National energy policy Crashed the economy. I don't remember what the panics were about during my younger adulthood but the next big one was Y2K .... Now we are maybe over the overblown scamdemic maybe, and now a lot of people are on the edge of their seats. interest rates are much higher, most people are struggling if they have a mortgage. A lot of chatter about a lot of things EMP nuke WW3 or whatever number . Lately I feel unsettled, I am about as ready as I can be I have most of the skill, I think to make it no matter what. Age is against me, but it has also made me find less strenuous ways to live.
What say you ???
If you read the threads in this forum for a few years, every week there will be a thread screaming: "TEOTWAWKI has begun!
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.gif
".
None of them happened.
Yes, I remember the Y2K farce, and swore I wouldn't fall for crap again:mad:.

America and United Kingdom are losing in the Red Sea game. I am wondering if I looked behind the curtain called NATO. Are they really able to deal with "hot" conflict in 20 or 30 locations (World Wide) at the same time.

Last edited:
None of them happened.
Wow.......are you ever delusional. Pretty much off the chart delusional.

Would the securities markets dropping near forty percent......count.

If you read the threads in this forum for a few years, every week there will be a thread screaming: "TEOTWAWKI has begun!
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.gif
".
None of them happened.
So you are up for four more years of "Deep State" making "wonderful" changes in the course of American.

I was born mid 40's and America peaked (in my opinion) late 1950's. In my opinion the quality of life, the feeling of safety, the feeling the future looks bright, that all ended by early 60's.

So you are up for four more years of "Deep State" making "wonderful" changes in the course of American.

I was born mid 40's and America peaked (in my opinion) late 1950's. In my opinion the quality of life, the feeling of safety, the feeling the future looks bright, that all ended by early 60's.
Not discounting what you're saying but I think most people feel that the years of their late teens and early 20's were the best years. Not saying they were or weren't just that at that stage in life for most of us life was good and everything was new and exciting, we were on top of the world so to speak! Then responsibility kicked our A--es!

I have been through the Armageddon nuclear scare of the 1960s, four major forest fires that burned everything around me to the ground, the shortages of the 1980s, Y2K (that I knew was TOTAL unscientific nonsense from the get go), a shooting as a kid in elementary school and again 60 years later in a shopping center parking lot, cancer, nerve damage, 3 years in bed from perilymph fistula (most days crawling with dizziness to use the bathroom), the anti social lockdowns with unnecessary masking during Covid, so what ever is to come doesn't scare me.

I am as prepared as I have been all my life. I have no idea if I will survive a worldwide disaster, but I am doing what I can to help younger folks survive by passing on my knowledge, tools, and library of homesteading books.

Wow.......are you ever delusional. Pretty much off the chart delusional.

Would the securities markets dropping near forty percent......count.
You mean like when we survived 8 years of Obama flushing the economy into the toilet? I made lots of money off of that. :)
What 'securities' are you talking about?
Bond rates have soared, I watch the stock market every day and all 3 indexes have set new record highs the last 2 months.
School me on what I'm missing.

Last edited:
March 2020'
...And that will affect our incoming/ongoing Armageddon exactly how. :dunno:
I will confess that I grabbed a lot of stock bargains when the media had convinced investors that we were in for 4 years of Hillary.:thumbs:
Ie: XOM $60.09 , today: $103.80 , ABBV $67.30 , today: $178.63 .
You have to learn to look at downturns as like if people screamed:
"Whatever you do, don't go to the stores in the mall, everything is on sale 20% or more off!gaah"

Last edited:
I loved Y2K. Two possible outcomes, We'd all be buying new programs for our computers, or nothing. I prepped like mad and after nothing happened I evaluated how well I had prepped.

The end of the Mayan Calendar. Two possible outcomes, the earth would disappear from the universe, or nothing. I prepped like mad and after nothing happened I evaluated how well I had prepped.

Every time one of these events happens I react the same. I look for holes in my preps and I look for areas to strengthen. I laugh at the people that think they were stupid for preparing for Y2K. Do they feel stupid for putting on their seatbelt this morning because they weren't in an accident? Do they think because Y2K was a nonevent that they never have to worry about another event?

I use every nonevent as a drill. I count my blessings that I have identified weaknesses. Prepping is a journey not a destination.

Covid hit. I am in hog heaven. After the bird flu, when prices went back to normal, I loaded up on pandemic supplies. I go out to the garage, dig out my Tyvek coveralls with a hood, vented N95, goggles, and headed to the post office. The gal behind the counter apologized for not having my boxes ready because she didn't recognize me. I responded, "that's because I've done my hair differently." Overkill? Yes, but it was fun.

Last edited:
Re: Y2k

The IRS didn't prepare for Y2k. They used an old software package to track the duration of issues which subtracted start date and time from end date and time. The software did not anticipate still being used when the year 2000 came. It only used the last 2 digits of the date. So the duration of issues were computed as "-99" years.

My coworker figured out a work around by setting the date back 27 years (I forget the exact number).

My point Y2k was a nothing burger because most IT prepared. Those that didn't prepare did run into problems.

Ben

Covid hit. I am in hog heaven. After the bird flu, when prices went back to normal, I loaded up on pandemic supplies. I go out to the garage, dig out my Tyvek coveralls, vented N95, goggles, and headed to the post office. The gal behind the counter apologized for not having my boxes ready because she didn't recognize me. I responded, "that's because I've done my hair differently." Overkill? Yes, but it was fun.
The question is....did you ever get covid? If you ever had covid, it wasn't overkill, it was not enough. If you have avoided covid, its not overkill, its proper preparation.

Years ago, I had tyvek suits but wasn't very happy with them. They where too light and flimsy. They seemed like the first time you slide down a hill in one, it would be shredded. I commissioned a custom suit from heavy outdoor vinyl fabric designed for upholstery on boats.

IMG_3999.JPG

The empire is dying has been since the late 1950s. Look what they are doing to our children, look what they are doing with immigration, look what they're doing to the military, look what they doing to the family look what they are doing to masculinity. I can go on. It's a crap show, we are in the death gurgle. Rome did not collapse overnight

I mean really hogs at a slop trough have more class than out politicians

. I commissioned a custom suit from heavy outdoor vinyl fabric designed for upholstery on boats.

View attachment 124818
So, did you wear that every time you went to the supermarket?
Are you still a 'covid virgin'?
I hear lots of local people are dancing with covid omicron V32.0 lately, and this is not from the news, but from 'boots on the ground'.
Most are ones that skipped the earlier rounds because of the jab.
Re: Y2k
My point Y2k was a nothing burger because most IT prepared. Those that didn't prepare did run into problems.
I remember my sister who had 'retired', getting panic phone calls from people that were desperately searching for ANYBODY that could program in Cobol.

Last edited:
Wow a lot of interesting responses, I can't say that i overprepped for much except for 2 acres of potatoes for y2k I kow enough about computers and software flaws that it could have been a real thing. As Ben said the It really came thru, . our sun changed color around 2010 and hardly anyone noticed.

A money guy I listen too uses the following...

"Threats are the sharks you see when standing on the shore. The sharks become risks when you get in the water."

Many on HC&L see the threats. Many in the general public do not see the risk of the status quo.

Ben

Last edited:
So, did you wear that every time you went to the supermarket?
Are you still a 'covid virgin'?
I hear lots of local people are dancing with covid omicron V32.0 lately, and this is not from the news, but from 'boots on the ground'.
Most are ones that skipped the earlier rounds because of the jab.

No, I primarily had it made for contact pathogens like Ebola. "Bleeders" "Pukers" etc. It would be unnecessary for a airborn virus like covid. I wore it a couple times shopping during the worst of covid as a training opportunity.

Yes, I am still among the uninfected. Almost certainly, as neither I, or anyone in my immediate family has been sick since early 2020. Febuary 6th was the four year anniversary of the last time I ate in a restaurant. I remember it because it was a Chinese place and me and my wife where joking how funny it would be if that last place we ever ate before the apocalypse from a Chinese virus was a Chinese restaurant. Turned out, it was.

I do have to say 'Almost certainly" because it is possible to be infected and completely asymptotic but we would ALL have to be asymptomatic in my group to be infected and not know it and that seems unlikely.

And yes, boots on the ground is that there are a lot of people with covid, flu and RSV currently. Current dominate variant is called JN1. Biggest issue covid issue in MY life currently is patients with Long Covid. Lots of young people with damaged hearts, and people who had surgery in their legs to combat covid related blood clots. Everytime I feel like falling off the covid wagon, I run into another broken person who is going to have to go through the rest of their life that way because of covid and I am reminded there are things worse than wearing a mask.

I haven't gotten the latest vaccine this year. It seemed rather pointless as I have four years of experience now in not getting sick, vaccine side effects always hit me hard, and its a PITA to go get vaccinated especially as the current vaccine isn't that great against the current variant.

Me too.....and most of my closest relatives.

I interpret that unusual status as empirical proof that I really am different.....and apparently it rubs of on those immediately around me.

Its interesting to realize that its not just words and preps isn't it? Mindset has real results in the real world.

Me too.....and most of my closest relatives.

I interpret that unusual status as empirical proof that I really am different.....and apparently it rubs of on those immediately around me.
I don't want to get this thread booted into the covid dung-pile, but I gotta know:
O-negative blood type?
MIL was O-negative type and swam around with the 6 of us that were passing Delta around, impervious to it.
Now back on topic: the end is here, and everyone will die! gaah
(don't listen to me, I am 'delusional':rolleyes:)

I don't want to get this thread booted into the covid dung-pile, but I gotta know:
O-negative blood type?
MIL was O-negative type and swam around with the 6 of us that were passing Delta around, impervious to it.
Now back on topic: the end is here, and everyone will die! gaah
(don't listen to me, I am 'delusional':rolleyes:)
O-

Covid virgin.

Ben

Latest posts

Back